Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Directed by: Til Schweiger
Starring: Til Schweiger, Johanna Wokalek, Steffen Wink, et. al.

Title: Barfuss (Barefoot)
Category: Chick Flick (a.k.a. Romantic Comedy)
Year: 2005
Director: Til Schweiger
Starring: Til Schweiger, Johanna Wokalek, Steffen Wink, et. al.

Plot outline (straight from imdb.com): Nick, a hedonistic bachelor, falls for an escaped mental patient.

Review: When I first heard about this movie, I thought it was just another freakish romantic comedy movie, like a “down to earth” version of “Zombie Honeymoon”… turns out I was dead wrong.

The movie tells the story of Nick, an unemployed bachelor trying to make ends meet, refusing to receive any help from his very wealthy father-in-law, or from his arrogant brother. Nick ends up working as a janitor in a Mental Asylum, where he soon gets fired after leaving a bottle of poison in reach of some of the pacients.

Nick goes to the bathroom to think about his situation, and there he finds one of the inmates, a girl who always walks barefoot, trying to commit suicide. Since he stopped her from killing herself, she decides to follow him around… even managing to escape the asylum and follow him home.

That’s as far as I’ll go with the plot, as I don’t want to spoil the fun for anyone, but let me tell you that the situations that will take place afterwards are what you’d expect from a romantic comedy featuring a mental patient.

So as I sad at the beginning of this review, I didn’t expect much from this movie, as most romantic comedies are just a bunch of clichés that were probably pretty funny in the early 80’s, but that are pretty predictable and boring by now. With this movie, however, I did have a good time, and even a couple of laughs, watching Nick (played by the same actor who played Heinz Hummer –“the Gigolo with the most Below”- in “Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo”) deal with his new “sidekick”.

The plot is, obviously, not profound, so don’t expect to be enlightened by the end of the movie. There’s no moral to the story (except the classical chick flick moral: “love will always triumph”, or “even a sex maniac will settle down for a nice girl”), or any unexpected twists, so watch this movie when you want to have a good time watching a movie that won’t make you think much (so, needless to say, it’s perfect for the American audience… yet they’ll have to dub it since, for some reason, most Americans hate subtitles! :P), try this one.

P.S: If you see any errors in this review, as english is not my first language, please let me know so I can correct them.

RATING: 4.5

PROS:
a. Johanna Wokalek
b. It’s the perfect movie to watch with your girlfriend (she’ll laugh, and by the end she’ll probably cry a little… and that means you’ll get laid).
c. Funny.
d. Pretty good cinematography.
e. Good soundtrack

CONS:
a. Plot holes (i.e. the whole “That’s nick… he lies a lot” part with the bride… WTF was that about!?”)
b. Some parts are just too hard to believe (i.e. GTA)… in fact, there were parts in the movie where I actually went “WTF?! Do they expect us to believe that he’d do THAT?!”
c. The fat guy waiting in line in the unemployment office.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0405743/

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 20, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU