Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
For all it's flaws I enjoyed it.

I thought that the two leads were both pretty good, but Ellen Page acted so much better than Patrick Wilson that things didn't seem so evenly matched. A few scenes were meant to be cat-and-mouse but at no point did you ever think that Hayley was not in control.

Sandra Oh as the Girl Scout's Mom was both lovely casting and a rather questionable plot point but it is inconsequential to the movie as a whole.

Towards the end the film does take a bit of a turn for the worse, and it really doesn't hold up to close scrutiny after the fact, but it's not a big "gently caress you" implausofest like some of the more recent thrillers. The fact that the movie kept me entertained throughout its runtime despite it primarily consisting of two actors in the same room, and succeeded in making me feel uncomfortable and uneasy during "that scene" means that it achieved what it set out to do, which is more than I can say for quite a few "thrillers" of the past few years.

It requires some suspension of disbelief but towards the end the film does indicate that the main character is neither 14 nor named Haley and that much of what she has said was false. If you can't get past the idea that a young female that you know nothing about could talk and act in such a manner, then you are probably going to hate it.

It's not a classic, but it gets a 4 from me.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Aug 9, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU