Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«17 »
Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

There were cat sounds outside, I didn't think much of it at first. I forgot about it and when I happened to go outiside, I saw

the cutest scared tiny kitten.

He hissed at me when I tried to approach, so I tried feeding him something. Everybody likes honey, right? No, it's worthy of hissing. Milk's no good either.

Despite the hissing, when you get ahold of him he calms down.

I've never had a cat, so I didn't know what to do. I brought him to the humane society, and they told me some basics and gave me enough food for a few days.

A wild cat around here is probably his mother. I don't know how long he was outside alone.

It took him only a day to get off the syringe and start lapping up the milk. And he knows instinctually how to use the litterbox--no mess around the house. But he's not always affectionate. He still hisses when I start petting him, then gets used to it. When playing around, he bites. It doesn't hurt, but I try to put him off the idea.

Any advice for clueless kitty owners is appreciated. What do I need to start doing now to train him? Is there anything I can do so he grows up affectionate? I always hated mean cats, but loved nice cats. I hope he turns out nice.

I named him barley

Update: more pictures on all pages

Mescal fucked around with this message at Jan 5, 2007 around 02:53

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poultron
May 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

What an adorable kitten!!

Poultron fucked around with this message at Aug 30, 2006 around 23:06

Hana Dammit
Nov 29, 2004

Punch-drunk tears of a clone.

That is a very cute kitten. I'm not too what else to tell you, aside from keep playing with it and loving it up.

Corsair Canard
Aug 17, 2004

Let's croak us some Toads!

He is really cute, good for you for saving him!

New kitten owner things to do...

First, stop the milk. That'll give him some nasty poo poo and possibly make him sick. If he's still too young for solid food get him some cat formula from a pet store, cow's milk is no good.

There's a nice guide here http://alter-idem.smartmonkey.org/cats/ on what food is great to feed him.

Next, off to the vet with you. The vet can give you a better age guess than we can, and he'll also need to be checked for various diseases and such. Probably going to need some shots too.

Also do some reading around the PI (PP?) FAQ and get check some of our new kitten owner threads for more ideas. A scratching post is nice (spay and neuter but don't declaw is the rule of thumb around here) and some toys too. Indoor cats (please keep him an indoor kitty) also love to have a nice kitty tree for climbing.

As for keeping him friendly, keep up the playing and the petting. If he bites or swats set him down and ignore him for a few minutes. Eventually he'll link attacking you with affection stopping. A lot of people also suggest a yelp like a hurt kitten if the cat bites, if you do it right he'll relize he hurt you.

Good for you for taking in the little guy Robot Chicken is a dirty liar, post more pictures of that cutie. Also that's a great name.

Chasie
Nov 17, 2004

Don't stop believin'

He is probably pretty scared of everything right now, so expect kind of a tough guy stance from it for a little while. Once it starts to associate you with petting and play and, of course, food, it will soften up.

He'll really soften up if you take more pictures and post them here. I have no idea how we did it in the old days.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Robot Chicken posted:

God drat cute overload, rear end in a top hat. Never post pictures of her again.

And risk having the kitty explode if we don't get pictures of it on a daily basis? You must not have a heart!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Crochet Vagina posted:

He is really cute, good for you for saving him!

New kitten owner things to do...

First, stop the milk. That'll give him some nasty poo poo and possibly make him sick. If he's still too young for solid food get him some cat formula from a pet store, cow's milk is no good.

There's a nice guide here http://alter-idem.smartmonkey.org/cats/ on what food is great to feed him.

Next, off to the vet with you. The vet can give you a better age guess than we can, and he'll also need to be checked for various diseases and such. Probably going to need some shots too.

Also do some reading around the PI (PP?) FAQ and get check some of our new kitten owner threads for more ideas. A scratching post is nice (spay and neuter but don't declaw is the rule of thumb around here) and some toys too. Indoor cats (please keep him an indoor kitty) also love to have a nice kitty tree for climbing.

As for keeping him friendly, keep up the playing and the petting. If he bites or swats set him down and ignore him for a few minutes. Eventually he'll link attacking you with affection stopping. A lot of people also suggest a yelp like a hurt kitten if the cat bites, if you do it right he'll relize he hurt you.

Good for you for taking in the little guy Robot Chicken is a dirty liar, post more pictures of that cutie. Also that's a great name.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, by 'milk' I mean the powder they gave us we add water to. I feed him about every three or four hours. The woman at the humane society guessed five weeks. I read the cat FAQ but it didn't have a whole lot of information.

He likes narrow spaces. He smells like ginger.

fileanchor and imagesocket are both not working now.

Corsair Canard
Aug 17, 2004

Let's croak us some Toads!

Freedom Foundry posted:

Thanks for the info. Yeah, by 'milk' I mean the powder they gave us we add water to. I feed him about every three or four hours. The woman at the humane society guessed five weeks. I read the cat FAQ but it didn't have a whole lot of information.

He likes narrow spaces. He smells like ginger.

Yeah, after I read your post again I wondered if you meant kitten formula, but didn't edit it just in case. That's so cute he smells like ginger, a lot of my pets are named after herbs/spices and I'd be thrilled to have a cat that smells like one too. Much better than nacho feet.

Try photobucket maybe? That kitten is too cute to not have more pictures!

John Dough
Oct 30, 2004

There is nothing quite as wonderful as money, money, money...

Freedom Foundry posted:

Try http://www.xs.to/ or make your own Google Pages account. 100MB, upload as many photo's as you want

Cute kitten. That last picture is really great. The lighting makes it perfect

FuzzyDunlop
Oct 6, 2003

in ur chest, meltin ur heart

I always thought Barley was a great kitty name. So freakin' cute...I love his tiny little ears!

Just give him some time, I'm sure he'll overcome his fear and start to become more affectionate and trusting. What a sweet little baby.

asshole casserole
Mar 6, 2006

Clinically in shame.

Animals know when you've saved them...I bet with a little bit of care and affection, he'll be a sweetheart in no time. I don't know what you plan for the future, but in my opinion, it's much easier to raise an affectionate cat if it is indoors only. That and it's much safer.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Freedom Foundry posted:

the cutest scared tiny kitten.

Got that right. He's so tiny and cute. I bet the more photos you take of him, the friendlier he'll be

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I don't know what my living situation will be in the near future, I hope I get to keep him.

supercheesy
Jun 12, 2006

Wow, what a perfect picture for the "cute and scared" comment. It's like he was posing. Keep up the loving and he will stop the hissing. Especially once he figures out you are the one who gives him food. Very photogenic kitten. The pictures don't make him seem like a little hisser. He fools us all.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Freedom Foundry posted:

I don't know what my living situation will be in the near future, I hope I get to keep him.

That's a seriously cute kitten, and your photography skills are 1337

Chasie
Nov 17, 2004

Don't stop believin'

Don't worry about your living situation, you can make big money as a pet photographer if you keep coming up with pictures like that above.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Thanks, guys. I'll have to try hard to get a some good photos of him before he gets too big. He's grown a lot in the last four days. He's really playful now, which I think he was too scared to be at first. I would never have gone out and gotten a cat, but I'm really glad this one showed up at my doorstep. :3

light_urple
Sep 26, 2002

Meow!

We had a kitten like this at the shelter - very young, very scared, and very quick to hiss (my cat's didn't learn how to really hiss for a long time, so I was very surprised to hear a full adult hiss out of a 4-6 week old kitten!).

Basically, you just have to cuddle the hell out of them, touch them all over, force them to play with toys (not hands! try squeaking/squealing if play gets to rough on skin - that's what his siblings would do), and eventually, they'll get the idea that you're not bad and you = food, fun, and cuddles. Try wrapping him up in the bottom of your shirt so he's close to your body when you snuggle - They LOVE the heat and heartbeat. Another thing my own cats liked when they were little was when I played with them down on their level. I'd get low to the floor so they could get right up to my face to sniff me. If a cat starts sniffing your nose (and you trust them not to swat at your face), continue breathing normally - that's how they recognize eachother.

What a sweetheart! And Barley is a fantastic name!

Madama Butterfly
Apr 6, 2005

All who dare to cross her course are swallowed by her fearsome force!

Freedom Foundry posted:

Thanks, guys. I'll have to try hard to get a some good photos of him before he gets too big. He's grown a lot in the last four days. He's really playful now, which I think he was too scared to be at first. I would never have gone out and gotten a cat, but I'm really glad this one showed up at my doorstep. :3

I am totally in love with Barley. That is the cutest kitten ever. His little white paws!!

twice
Jun 19, 2005

Super-Destructo-Atomotron-Nugget-Head of DOOM: Nuggetly Destroyer of Worlds and Demonic Swallower of Souls

light_urple posted:

If a cat starts sniffing your nose (and you trust them not to swat at your face), continue breathing normally - that's how they recognize eachother.

[slight derail] Is that what that is? Because my cat tries to smell my nose and / or mouth a lot. I always figured she's being a greedy bitch and trying to tell what I ate last and if there is any left for her.

Girl Robot
Jun 5, 2005

Adorable! I'm compiling super cute images for a new avatar I'm making, may Barley be a part?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Girl Robot posted:

Adorable! I'm compiling super cute images for a new avatar I'm making, may Barley be a part?

How much cuteness can you fit in 125 pixels? Sure, go ahead.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Mescal fucked around with this message at Jun 17, 2006 around 02:40

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

Yet another Barley fan checking in.
What an adorable kitten!

Itty Bitty Kitty
Oct 29, 2004

ohmigosh so cute! Where do you live that adowable wittle kittens just appear at your doorstep? That never happens to me.

Barley's absolutely adorable, and he'll warm up to you eventually. My kitty was a stray when my parents brought her home, and she's super-affectionate to me now -- although, it's ONLY to me, so you may want to introduce him to other people after he's gotten more comfortable. That way he'll be a sweetie to people in general, not just his mommy (or daddy, whichever you prefer to be called). But gosh he's so cute, I wouldn't care if he was the meanest little thing in the world

Your photos are awesome and look really great. Really show off the core cuteness of the kitten-baby. I'll be checking back for more!

Sideshow Bob
Jun 19, 2004
criminally insane

Now that is one cute kitten! Your camera skills are impressive as well.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Itty Bitty Kitty posted:

ohmigosh so cute! Where do you live that adowable wittle kittens just appear at your doorstep? That never happens to me.

Barley's absolutely adorable, and he'll warm up to you eventually. My kitty was a stray when my parents brought her home, and she's super-affectionate to me now -- although, it's ONLY to me, so you may want to introduce him to other people after he's gotten more comfortable. That way he'll be a sweetie to people in general, not just his mommy (or daddy, whichever you prefer to be called). But gosh he's so cute, I wouldn't care if he was the meanest little thing in the world

Your photos are awesome and look really great. Really show off the core cuteness of the kitten-baby. I'll be checking back for more!

He's stopped the hissing And he's pretty nice to everyone, even the dog. He's been pretty tired today, but playful when awake. I yell at him when he bites, I hope he learns not to before his jaw becomes manly.

This forum is sure different from the rest of SA, huh?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Freedom Foundry posted:

Wow, that is a very good photo there. You have a very cute kitten, and a talent there for taking paictures of him.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001
"BeanBandit! Son of a bitch!"

Freedom Foundry posted:

He's stopped the hissing And he's pretty nice to everyone, even the dog. He's been pretty tired today, but playful when awake. I yell at him when he bites, I hope he learns not to before his jaw becomes manly.
Yelling at cats doesn't work. They're unable to associate it with their bad behavior, so he'll most likely just get confused or frightened of you.

If he's really only five weeks old, then he hasn't had a chance to learn acceptable play practices from his littermates. Try to divert his energy to toys. Buy one of those catnip mice at the pet store and tie it to a string. Let him tear the hell out of the toy and praise him excessively when he does. If he bites or scratches at you, take your hand away and ignore him for a few minutes. Do this for awhile until he gets the picture.

Keep the pictures coming . What kind of camera are you using?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

BeanBandit posted:

If he bites or scratches at you, take your hand away and ignore him for a few minutes. Do this for awhile until he gets the picture.

Keep the pictures coming . What kind of camera are you using?

I can't put him down!

Rebel XT (unimportant) with 50mm lens (more important.)

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Freedom Foundry posted:

Great pictures and cute kitty. If you want a challenging photo, try taking a picture of the kitty when he's in the middle of a jump, it's hard but really worth it.

bru
May 7, 2006

pampering lifes complexity

that really looks like my cat did as a kitten. i found him on the street also. hes always been friendly from the start, although he was (and still is too a degree) pretty timid. if he dont know you he wont let you touch him or go anywhere near him, he just runs away. i guess it could be the same with your kitten, but as apposed to running it hisses.

and all cats bite when playing, i think it just takes em a while to get used to what will hurt you and what doesnt, i know it did with mine.

anyway, thats a cute cat... post more pics!

asshole casserole
Mar 6, 2006

Clinically in shame.

bru posted:

that really looks like my cat did as a kitten. i found him on the street also. hes always been friendly from the start, although he was (and still is too a degree) pretty timid. if he dont know you he wont let you touch him or go anywhere near him, he just runs away. i guess it could be the same with your kitten, but as apposed to running it hisses.

and all cats bite when playing, i think it just takes em a while to get used to what will hurt you and what doesnt, i know it did with mine.

anyway, thats a cute cat... post more pics!

The bite inhibition thing really seems to vary widely from cat to cat. My oldest will give a warning before he bites, unless he's playing. The two youngest are from the same place, a year apart, gotten at the same age. The older one bites to kill every time, often drawing blood, so I have to make sure I don't do anything to provoke a bite. The youngest is so gentle, even when playing rough...she's just the sweetest thing.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

When I found Pip, she would bite/hiss/swat every time. It's been eleven years... she's warmed up a lot, but still does it from time to time. Won't tolerate being held for more than a few minutes, will only let you pet her head & back, and flees at any sudden movement. Wierdly, she'll return and do figure-eights around your feet immediately afterward.

Oh, and she has her very own Disney-movie story: My Dad had never liked her, due to her skittishness and timidity. About six years ago, he coaxed her into the crate and drove off to the pound. Fortunately, they had closed by the time he arrived, so he just dropped her off in the parking lot. The shelter was only a few miles from home... Two weeks later, who should show up, but a very thin, very pissed off Pip.

Dad's still apologizing for that one.

Comfy Couch
Aug 20, 2005

by Fragmaster

Count Gretschula posted:

Oh, and she has her very own Disney-movie story: My Dad had never liked her, due to her skittishness and timidity. About six years ago, he coaxed her into the crate and drove off to the pound. Fortunately, they had closed by the time he arrived, so he just dropped her off in the parking lot. The shelter was only a few miles from home... Two weeks later, who should show up, but a very thin, very pissed off Pip.

Dad's still apologizing for that one.

Haha, I always heard stories about cats finding their way home from weird places and it amazes me every time that they can have that kind of sense of direction. They are such amazing creatures.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

What's worse is that he did the same thing with a neighbor's cat who would always eat our cats' food (which I didn't mind, as his owners would go away for days at at time and just leave him outside)... only this time, the cat found his way home after two days. I'm guessing he'd been abandoned before.

Yeah, Dad was kind of an rear end in a top hat when it came to pets.

asshole casserole
Mar 6, 2006

Clinically in shame.

Count Gretschula posted:

What's worse is that he did the same thing with a neighbor's cat who would always eat our cats' food (which I didn't mind, as his owners would go away for days at at time and just leave him outside)... only this time, the cat found his way home after two days. I'm guessing he'd been abandoned before.

Yeah, Dad was kind of an rear end in a top hat when it came to pets.

I'd have to explain to Dad that as soon as he becomes inconvenient, he's gonna be driven somewhere and dumped. Guess he better hope he doesn't get Alzheimers or something.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Oh, that threat was made by most of the family afterwards. We were only joking, of course OR WERE WE HMMM???

And both my paternal & maternal Grandmothers went through dementia before they died, so it's in the family. Happy 80th, Dad!

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

That kitten has some seriously gorgeous eyes.

Very cute kitten, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

He learned to pur yesterday. In addition to knowing how to use the litterbox from the first time he was put into it, yesterday he was walking around on the floor, decided he needed to go, walked into the bathroom and used the litterbox. He's pottytrained himself.

But he won't stop biting

Edit: I'm prety much guessing about how much food he needs. He's got a big tummy now, but he's always hungry. What's the protocol here?

Mescal fucked around with this message at Jun 18, 2006 around 20:31

«17 »