Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Factory Factory posted:

Supermicro still sells some Sandy Bridge-era i3/Xeon E3 boards with the right slot layout. ATX sized, easy to cram into a rack case. That might be too DIY though?

We have quite a few dvrs so I am looking for something prebuilt. Thanks for the suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Yaos posted:

We have quite a few dvrs so I am looking for something prebuilt. Thanks for the suggestion.

Getting three legacy PCI slots in an off the shelf rackmount made this decade is going to be a tall order, are these some kind of one-off specialty cards you're dealing with or could you obtain PCI express versions?

Geoj fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 25, 2014

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Geoj posted:

Getting three legacy PCI slots in an off the shelf rackmount made this decade is going to be a tall order, are these some kind of one-off specialty cards you're dealing with or could you obtain PCI express versions?

I've only jumped into it a little bit but my understanding is the cards are those expensive kind that costs too much money for what it does. I did find out they are in plans to switch to IP cameras so this whole thing may be moot. Thanks for the help, I will have to look into it a bit more.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Can anyone tell me why a dinky little Intel Pentium Dual Core G2030 processor that I'm currently using as a stopgap can run Wolfenstein: The New Order without any weird chugging issues, but a Quad-Core AMD Phenom II X4 955 chokes on this game? I know the Pentium is a newer tech and slot type but seriously, are Intel CPUs just that awesome or do dual core cpus from 2014 outperform quad core cpus from 2011? If that's the case I can't wait to see how an i series cpu performs, because drat.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Starhawk64 posted:

are Intel CPUs just that awesome or do dual core cpus from 2014 outperform quad core cpus from 2011?
Yes and yes.

Also a Phenom II is from 2009.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I guess having an Ivy Bridge motherboard also helps. Can't wait to shove an i5 or i7 into it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have a Thinkpad X201 with a Core i7 620M (http://ark.intel.com/products/43560) running Win7x64. Its USB 2.0 ports will read my USB 3.0 external HDD but not my USB 3.0 flash drive. Why would that be?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 26, 2014

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
How much power does the device draw? If it draws more than .5 amps it won't work. What device are you trying to use?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gothmog1065 posted:

How much power does the device draw? If it draws more than .5 amps it won't work. What device are you trying to use?
This thing: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226464

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Does the flash drive work with other computers?

If so, that *is* an interesting problem.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Pivo posted:

Does the flash drive work with other computers?

If so, that *is* an interesting problem.
It works with my desktop's USB 3.0 ports but NOT on its 2.0 ports, which is news to me since I always just used the front panel 3.0 ports. My desktop is running Win8.1x64 and it says "USB device not recognized" and makes the device plugged in sound over and over, which is the same fault in my Win7x64 laptop.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
It sounds like a power issue. A USB 2.0 port can only provide 500 mA of power, as said, whereas a USB 3.0 port can give 900 mA. An external hard drive may be a power-optimized model or have a separate power brick, skipping the need for bus power, whereas a USB key relies on what the port can give it.

Thaaaaat said, the drive specifically advertises that it's backwards-compatible with USB 2.0 and 1.1, as well as being a specifically low-power drive.

Do you have a lot of USB devices plugged in to the other systems? Keyboards, mice, etc., especially unpowered hubs.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Factory Factory posted:

A USB 2.0 port can only provide 500 mA of power, as said, whereas a USB 3.0 port can give 900 mA.

*** according to the spec

Some ports provide more. Specs just get in the way!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

It sounds like a power issue. A USB 2.0 port can only provide 500 mA of power, as said, whereas a USB 3.0 port can give 900 mA. An external hard drive may be a power-optimized model or have a separate power brick, skipping the need for bus power, whereas a USB key relies on what the port can give it.

Thaaaaat said, the drive specifically advertises that it's backwards-compatible with USB 2.0 and 1.1, as well as being a specifically low-power drive.

Do you have a lot of USB devices plugged in to the other systems? Keyboards, mice, etc., especially unpowered hubs.
My Thinkpad doesn't have anything else plugged in, and my desktop only had a keyboard and mouse plugged in when I tested it. Really, it wasn't until this morning that I tried it on my desktop's USB 2.0 that there was clarity since I always thought it was an issue with my laptop.

The reviews on Newegg indicate it should work with USB 2.0, so I submitted an RMA request.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Anyone know whether I can use ECC ram in nonECC boards (P67 to be exact)? I am assuming I will just lose the ECC functionality, but I would like to be sure.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I'll need to get a 3.5 inch 2TB external hard drive for desktop backup in the near future. Any recommendations or would I be better getting something like this and just sticking it into a USB 3 enclosure?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Ika posted:

Anyone know whether I can use ECC ram in nonECC boards (P67 to be exact)? I am assuming I will just lose the ECC functionality, but I would like to be sure.

ECC yes, registered no.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Wilford Cutlery posted:

ECC yes, registered no.

Alright thanks. A ton of reg.EFF ram has been showing up for cheap on ebay etc here and I had hoped to get a cheap upgrade for my old PC.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'll need to get a 3.5 inch 2TB external hard drive for desktop backup in the near future. Any recommendations or would I be better getting something like this and just sticking it into a USB 3 enclosure?
Some enclosures don't shut off or report SMART properly, and there are loads of enclosures with crappy adapter chips, and the price difference is small enough here in the US that it's not worth it.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

there are loads of enclosures with crappy adapter chips

This can't be overstated.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Just get a Western Digital external USB 3 drive then?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

My nephew has a problem with his dual monitor setup. They will both go black at random times and won't come back on unless he reboots. It doesn't seem like a hardlock or anything of that nature, since music and sounds will keep playing regardless. He has turned off hibernate and screen off settings to no avail and the refresh rate is set correctly. What else could be causing this?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Inadequate power supply killing the GPU?

Alternatively it may just be a bad cable situation and you can try swapping them out.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SplitSoul posted:

My nephew has a problem with his dual monitor setup. They will both go black at random times and won't come back on unless he reboots. It doesn't seem like a hardlock or anything of that nature, since music and sounds will keep playing regardless. He has turned off hibernate and screen off settings to no avail and the refresh rate is set correctly. What else could be causing this?

I would look at video card heat first, or maybe simply just updating the video drivers.

Have you checked the event log after rebooting the computer?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I'm trying to help him over the internet, but I'll suggest those and hope he gets it, he's just a kid and not particularly tech savvy. Otherwise I'll have to take a look at it myself. Thanks!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
How old is the card? Could just be it's time for a replacement...

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
I know it's said to use 90%+ alcohol to clean off thermal paste but I only have 78% and can't make it to the store. Will that suffice with the intel stock paste or should I wait?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

drat NIGGA posted:

I know it's said to use 90%+ alcohol to clean off thermal paste but I only have 78% and can't make it to the store. Will that suffice with the intel stock paste or should I wait?

I really cant imagine how that would be a bad thing. The only downside is the water content so just make sure its dry. Which is fast

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

1gnoirents posted:

I really cant imagine how that would be a bad thing. The only downside is the water content so just make sure its dry. Which is fast

Ok I had no idea you had to use alcohol to get rid of the previous stuff, I've got some thermal paste coming tomorrow. should I not apply it until I get some alcohol to get rid of the intel stuff?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Ok I had no idea you had to use alcohol to get rid of the previous stuff, I've got some thermal paste coming tomorrow. should I not apply it until I get some alcohol to get rid of the intel stuff?
Do you not have nail polish remover, lighter fluid, or any solvent handy? If not its not super critical, just do the best job you can cleaning the current stuff off.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

stickyfngrdboy posted:

You COULD just use vodka, but that's alcohol abuse. Isopropyl is cheap as gently caress at any pharmacy, you can get a 500mL thing for a couple of bucks and I live in Canadia-land where everything is expensive. Pharmacies are also sometimes open 24/7, I have a hard time believing you couldn't get it before tomorrow.

edit: P.S. don't drink it

Pivo fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 28, 2014

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Alereon posted:

Do you not have nail polish remover, lighter fluid, or any solvent handy? If not its not super critical, just do the best job you can cleaning the current stuff off.

Awesome thanks both the above posters appreciate it.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Took the paste of effortlessly and everything works. Then I found it was actually like 50% alcohol (it was in other container, but I let it dry for like 30 minutes while I was doing something else, should be fine right?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

drat NIGGA posted:

Took the paste of effortlessly and everything works. Then I found it was actually like 50% alcohol (it was in other container, but I let it dry for like 30 minutes while I was doing something else, should be fine right?

You didn't get any alco-water on your motherboard? Yeah, you're fine. Just wipe the CPU lid with a microfibre cloth or, gently caress, toilet paper I guess if you don't have one, then blow off the paper with a blower bulb or your mouth if you don't have one. Really thermal paste is not a science.

1) Don't get water on conductive poo poo
2) Don't get conductive thermal paste on conductive poo poo
3) Don't apply too much - follow the instructions

That's basically it.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Pivo posted:

You didn't get any alco-water on your motherboard? Yeah, you're fine. Just wipe the CPU lid with a microfibre cloth or, gently caress, toilet paper I guess if you don't have one, then blow off the paper with a blower bulb or your mouth if you don't have one. Really thermal paste is not a science.

1) Don't get water on conductive poo poo
2) Don't get conductive thermal paste on conductive poo poo
3) Don't apply too much - follow the instructions

That's basically it.

Nah, there was barely a wet spot on the paper towel and I avoided any PCB. I just wanted to make sure, seems like things went well. Thanks for your help and thanks to the thread.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Pivo posted:

Isopropyl is cheap as gently caress at any pharmacy, you can get a 500mL thing for a couple of bucks and I live in Canadia-land where everything is expensive. Pharmacies are also sometimes open 24/7, I have a hard time believing you couldn't get it before tomorrow.

Unless you live in Australia. Then you get to be interrogated by a Pharmacist, before he eventually grudgingly writes you a prescription label, and sells you a bottle the size of your little finger for $10.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

Unless you live in Australia. Then you get to be interrogated by a Pharmacist, before he eventually grudgingly writes you a prescription label, and sells you a bottle the size of your little finger for $10.

Why in the world would you regulate the sale of isopropyl? Drinking it can literally loving kill you and there's a big "warning: this poo poo is loving POISON" on the bottle. I'll bet they'll still happily sell you a lethal dose of Tylenol for a couple of bucks though. Ah, well. At least you have babes and nice weather, Australia.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Pivo posted:

Why in the world would you regulate the sale of isopropyl? Drinking it can literally loving kill you and there's a big "warning: this poo poo is loving POISON" on the bottle. I'll bet they'll still happily sell you a lethal dose of Tylenol for a couple of bucks though. Ah, well. At least you have babes and nice weather, Australia.

You can buy the lower percentage stuff, but the 99% stuff is hard to find - I only got hold of it because my local pharmacy does its own compounting, and the guy said he's not supposed to give it out in that form, but they do if they're certain it's for cleaning. I actually think it has something to do with alcohol taxes.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Pivo posted:

I never knew this until SH/SC but apparently isopropyl alcohol gets you mega wasted really quickly heh. I figured it just killed you by default, but thats just because you can easily drink way too much since it takes some incredibly tiny amount relative to ethanol

good apocalypse info

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Is this the best place to ask my "wtf is wrong with my computer" question if i think its hardware related?

• Locked thread