Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

SamEyeAm posted:

Is this the best place to ask my "wtf is wrong with my computer" question if i think its hardware related?

Yes but it's not the best place to ask "Should I ask", just ask. Detailed description, any troubleshooting you've done, yada yada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pivo has no idea what he's talking about, there's an entire forum for tech support.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=170

Post there.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Pivo has no idea what he's talking about, there's an entire forum for tech support.

we do enough of it here though, but you're the boss

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yeah, this is the short questions thread and plenty of them get answered, if they turn out to be longer questions then people are advised to start a Haus thread.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Though "wtf is wrong with my computer" isn't really a short question, more of a process of interactive troubleshooting.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I think if there's a pretty specific question where you pretty much know what's wrong but google isn't being very helpful and you just need one more clue to get things to fit into place, that's one thing.
"My computer's beeping and the screen's black" is another.

Actually, speaking of, is it standard for a motherboard to start making a very loud (fire alarm level) beeping noise if the CPU overheats?
I remember once doing something really stressful, headphones on, and realizing my computer was making a screeching noise for more than a little bit. I turned the thing off immediately and it's worked fine since, but I'm curious what the deal was, if it actually was the CPU overheating or something else.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Yeah siren overheat alarms are definitely a thing, that's likely configurable in the BIOS. You should probably give your machine a good dusting out with a canned air duster, paying attention to the fans and heatsinks.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I think I've either got the heatsink poorly seated or the paste misapplied, it's consistently reported unusually high temperatures even when I've cleaned the case/fans out. It's probably due for a dusting, though.
Thanks for the info.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I keep running into a problem where my work Win8 laptop never lets go of any IP address you set. Setting a static IP, closing the options, then immediately re-opening the IPV4 properties shows the adapter still on DHCP, but IPConfig shows it having its previous IP address. Right now, my gateway is 192.168.1.254, something I set as part of some AT&T connection troubleshooting, but in this wireless network it would end in .1. I thought it was specific to the wired connection, but it actually seems to affect both, I just seldom need to use WiFi and a static IP.

I know it's a software question at this point, but can anyone shed any light on why this thing can't stick with a static IP to save its life? It's a Lenovo Ideapad P400 touch, some best buy consumer laptop. Realtek wired and Centrino N-2230.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

So this is a USB cable I purchased off Amazon almost two months ago. It's a MediaBridge, which was highly rated. I like to think I take care of my cables, but the...case around the wire (?) has slowly slipped away from the plastic shell. I don't know if these are the proper terms for these things, so if anybody knows what this is called, I'd like to know them for future reference.

Anyway, I have this feeling I should dispose of the cable, but it still works, and it hasn't shorted out. So what is causing this? Shoddy craftsmanship? Just unplugging and plugging it over and over again? I can't seem to slip the cover back towards the shell to cover up the exposed bits, so should I contact them for a refund?

Edit - Spoke to a guy on the phone, and he said the PVC casing had just come loose from the shell; "maybe it wasn't clamped down properly in production." He said the wire was properly shielded, so there isn't a risk of electric shock or failure to deliver power, but they're gonna replace the wire under warranty anyway. Neat.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 31, 2014

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Kameh posted:

cable stuff
What the hell dude, why do you care about a lovely USB cable? They cost two cents from China and come free with your hardware, get two spares in case one dies!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I mean, I have like one for pretty much every location I find myself in. Bedroom, couch, work, car, whatever. I was mainly asking about the state of that particular cable.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Alereon posted:

What the hell dude, why do you care about a lovely USB cable? They cost two cents from China and come free with your hardware, get two spares in case one dies!

Yup, and it looks like it uses a similar clamp design as Apple does, which are known to do that.

Kameh posted:

I mean, I have like one for pretty much every location I find myself in. Bedroom, couch, work, car, whatever. I was mainly asking about the state of that particular cable.

It's just part of that clamp design. Avoid all these issues in the future and just get the good stuff from Monoprice: http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10303p. Better build quality and less expensive than any other store.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Rukus posted:

It's just part of that clamp design. Avoid all these issues in the future and just get the good stuff from Monoprice: http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10303p. Better build quality and less expensive than any other store.

I think at some point I decided to not buy from monoprice because cheap = broken wires. But, I've learned my lesson. Now, is it a silly question to ask if I need to get wires with ferrite chokes on them?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
So my spare computer had a piece of poo poo old video card in it, a geforce 9600gt and since I had a 560ti lying around I decided to put that in it, but it turns out I lost the 2nd PCI-E 6 pin cable to my power supply (it's one of those modular thingos, but I guess they all are these days). I found a molex to 6 pin connector and plugged that into the video card instead, but it doesn't seem to work. Anyone know what the deal is? Is that just a dodgy way to power the video card or something?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
^^^
Are you sure that the 560ti works? Otherwise the PSU may be too underpowered to support the card depending on its age, with or without the cable.

Kameh posted:

I think at some point I decided to not buy from monoprice because cheap = broken wires. But, I've learned my lesson. Now, is it a silly question to ask if I need to get wires with ferrite chokes on them?
Of course you should, because otherwise how else are you going to hear your FLACs as god intended via your custom USB DAC?

It's digital so no. Just get whatever from monoprice.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 31, 2014

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

cisco privilege posted:

^^^
Are you sure that the 560ti works? Otherwise the PSU may be too underpowered to support the card depending on its age, with or without the cable.

It worked fine the last time I used it! Hopefuly it's not buggered.

Pretty sure the power supply is ~500watt and it's a decent brand, from memory.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Kameh posted:

Edit - Spoke to a guy on the phone, and he said the PVC casing had just come loose from the shell; "maybe it wasn't clamped down properly in production." He said the wire was properly shielded, so there isn't a risk of electric shock or failure to deliver power, but they're gonna replace the wire under warranty anyway. Neat.

Amazon will replace anything that's hosed up as long as you don't abuse their generosity. I literally bought a litter box and it was too small for my cat, I told the woman on the phone, honestly I thought it'd be much bigger but the dimensions aren't quite accurate since they're the extremes but it's a dome, she's like no that's totally fine we can refund you and you can buy the bigger one if you want, I'm like "do you want this back, or what? there's some cat poop in it" she laughs "no, no, that's... that's ok, you can do whatever you want with that"

Amazon customer service is loving amazing. They will cross-ship, pay for return shipping, and do everything but suck your cock.

Unlike loving Newegg....

edit: but yeah, rambling aside, re: usb cables, just buy them from Monoprice they're like 2 bucks for a bajillion foot long one, I only own one microusb device and I bought 3 microusb cables last time I made a monoprice order because why the gently caress not, right? Never know.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

So I tried powering the 9600GT with the molex to 6 pin cable and it worked, so it's not that. I've tried reseating the 560ti, tried resetting the BIOS, tried having my on board video plugged in, nothing works, it doesn't even post. I dunno man, the drat thing worked fine last time I used it, I dunno what the gently caress happened in the meant time.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
What's the exact model of the power supply and estimated age?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Kameh posted:

Well I don't blame you, but sometimes 3 cheap wires are better than 1 cheap wire that cost 5 times more. I have a lot of hate for monoprice, but stuff like this is where it shines

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I managed to get a nice YPbPr to VGA converter from them, and it even supports 640x480, which is perfect for non-HD consoles that happen to have component output. Unfortunately, my Wii's optical drive had already given up the ghost shortly after I managed to rip most of my collection of GameCube games with it. I guess I should look into fixing it some day, but I don't really have the wherewithal to go digging inside my Wii and replacing parts. Figures, this coming from someone who bought a new MiniPCIe combo card to add Bluetooth to their laptop, which required opening the drat thing up, unscrewing a handful of micro Phillips head screws, and swapping out the old card. Now I'm considering even doing it all over again, to swap in a 2x2 802.11ac card.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Is hitting 97C on my GPU (GTX 660) while playing BF4 too high? I can't find anything beyond random forum posts about what good temperatures are.

And if it is too hot, would it be better to upgrade the card or try to add more cooling?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Deeters posted:

Is hitting 97C on my GPU (GTX 660) while playing BF4 too high? I can't find anything beyond random forum posts about what good temperatures are.

And if it is too hot, would it be better to upgrade the card or try to add more cooling?

It looks like that's the maximum temp so it's definitely quite hot. You probably have dust jammed into the heatsink on it and can clean it out to lower temps with some compressed air.
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-660/specifications

If the fan died on it and isn't spinning, then you could look into a replacement cooler or a new card.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Rexxed posted:

It looks like that's the maximum temp so it's definitely quite hot. You probably have dust jammed into the heatsink on it and can clean it out to lower temps with some compressed air.
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-660/specifications

If the fan died on it and isn't spinning, then you could look into a replacement cooler or a new card.

I took it apart to blow out the heat sink, which was barely dirty, just before posting this. I then tried BF4 again and was hitting around 100C within a few seconds. This overheating (and the accompanied performance drops) seemed pretty random, so I figured it was dust before anything else.

Here's the actual card I have. Nothing else in my case seems to be overheating, so I'm assuming it's something with that.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Probably a dumb question, but you reapplied thermal paste right?

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10
Building a new computer and I want to keep my old hard drive with win7 on it. Can I just plug it in and I'm good to go or is there more to it?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

El Kabong posted:

Building a new computer and I want to keep my old hard drive with win7 on it. Can I just plug it in and I'm good to go or is there more to it?

You'll need to reinstall your operating system more than likely. I know there are some workarounds, but its always better to reinstall the OS.

Also, the installation will be invalid once you change out your motherboard as the license is tired to it.

Question

When is the best time to do a system upgrade this year? I'm not sure what new CPUs and stuff are coming out. I'm using an i7 920@3.8, 18gb ram, Mushkin 240 SSD, 250 840 Evo ssd, WD Green 3tb, gtx 680, antec 1kw(not sure of the exact model, bought like 4-5 years ago. The biggest load I had on it was an HD 4870X2+8800 GTX.)

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 3, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

SlayVus posted:

You'll need to reinstall your operating system more than likely. I know there are some workarounds, but its always better to reinstall the OS.

Also, the installation will be invalid once you change out your motherboard as the license is tired to it.

Question

When is the best time to do a system upgrade this year? I'm not sure what new CPUs and stuff are coming out. I'm using an i7 920@3.8, 18gb ram, Mushkin 240 SSD, 250 840 Evo ssd, WD Green 3tb, gtx 680, antec 1kw(not sure of the exact model, bought like 4-5 years ago. The biggest load I had on it was an HD 4870X2+8800 GTX.)

We have a thread for buying a new PC, but honestly short of 'my PC just died' the best time to buy a new PC is 'when you decide your current PC isn't doing what you need it to anymore'. New stuff is always on the horizon and you'll drive yourself mad constantly waiting for this or that. The only exception would be if you know for a fact something is being released in the immediate short term - like a week or two - which isn't the case at the moment.

I would suggest keeping your current GPU for at least a year, and your SSDs. The CPU and mobo obviously will need to go, and you'll probably need new RAM too. Your PSU is due for a replacement (and don't buy 1kw again, 600w is plenty) and I would personally ditch the WD green.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Good reddit parody.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

SlayVus posted:

It's definitely a case of YMMV. My system has been chugging along without a hiccup for two years after I replaced the system board/processor & RAM in mid-2012 and just swapped my drive in without reinstalling. You could try it and see what happens (after backing up anything critical on the drive,) worst case scenario is you have to reinstall anyways.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Am I correct in assuming there won't be a noticeable difference between my 10+ year old arctic silver 5 and whatever is currently the best thermal paste?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Ika posted:

Am I correct in assuming there won't be a noticeable difference between my 10+ year old arctic silver 5 and whatever is currently the best thermal paste?

As long as it hasn't dried out, no, not really. There are *very slightly better* thermal compounds out now, but proper application technique is far more important than your choice of paste.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Alereon posted:

Have you confirmed that neither the laptop or TV support sending S/PDIF over the 3.5mm jack? You're already getting the digital signal to the TV, so if you can either get it to send it the rest of the way or use the 3.5mm it will sound the same since digital is digital. Otherise this cheap Rosewill USB soundcard may work for you, if using the optical output you don't care about noise or quality on the analogs, and it uses a standard chipset so you can either use the Windows drivers or find them from the manufacturer.

It's not, it's definitely analog only. The problem is that the laptop completely lacks the ability to push sound on anything higher than Stereo. So I need an external card that can push 5.1 surround, and preferably via optical out.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

drat NIGGA posted:

Probably a dumb question, but you reapplied thermal paste right?

:v: Whoops

But even after fixing that, I was hitting 87C, which still seems high.

If it makes more sense, I'll start my own thread and take some pictures of my case and stuff.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Ika posted:

As far as is it chemically broken down? Nothing beyond what would be plainly visible. Its only worth buying new paste depending on what you're trying to do. If its just "this is way too hot now and it needs to run normal" then id just use it. The anti-TIM sentiment I see from time to time is somewhat amusing since the difference between "adequate" and "best" paste is something like three whole dollars, but that's more or less for overclocking or whatever. GPU's benefit from difference paste more than CPU's, for whatever reason.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

1gnoirents posted:

GPU's benefit from difference paste more than CPU's, for whatever reason.

Less heat density, no heatspreader, and less heatsink mounting pressure, so there's less direct-metal contact and more heat passing through more paste.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

1gnoirents posted:

As far as is it chemically broken down? Nothing beyond what would be plainly visible. Its only worth buying new paste depending on what you're trying to do. If its just "this is way too hot now and it needs to run normal" then id just use it. The anti-TIM sentiment I see from time to time is somewhat amusing since the difference between "adequate" and "best" paste is something like three whole dollars, but that's more or less for overclocking or whatever. GPU's benefit from difference paste more than CPU's, for whatever reason.

Just to clarify: I don't want to replace what I currently have on my PC, I just am putting together a small server in a few days and can't find anything newer than this old stuff. I'm assuming it hasn't dried up or whatever.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Sounds good man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caedo
Jan 28, 2014
XBOX ONE question:

Just got a console on the cheap but it comes with literally no accessories. Has anyone tried the non-Microsoft power supplies with an XBOX one? Worth the savings vs getting the one from MS?

• Locked thread