Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Intervention posted:

I don't know if I should post here or in the networking thread but I'll post here anyways. I have two computers networked one is my 9 year old computer that is now a fileserver (all HD's are IDE cabled). The other computer is my main machine that came standard with gigabit ethernet. I installed a gigabit ethernet card on my fileserver and the fastest data transfers I can get between computers is 12.5MB/sec. Both cards are set to full duplex so I don't know what else to do. The router I use is also gigabit so I know its not the problem. Anyone have some advice?

You can't use CAT5 cables - you need CAT6 Cables or CAT5E cables.

link
for more info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Chunjee posted:

I was wondering what was the best way to diagnose motherboard, CPU, and RAM issues; I have some older systems that turn on but have no video output with several different PCI or AGP Video Cards. One system does have video output but will shuttdown before any OS can fully load.
My guess is you have to swap parts with a system known to work, but how dangerous is this? Can you damage a CPU putting it in a faulty Motherboard?

Yes, you have to swap them. You only need a good MB, Ram, and Processor to post. Looking up the beep codes (if your motherboard supports it) is also really helpful. You have a really, really low risk of damaging any components, mostly from ESD, so strap up if you care enough.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
I've got two 36GB WD Raptors and 1 74GB WD Raptor. I also have a Striker Extreme MB. Any problems if I RAID 0 the two small guys and then RAID 1 the resulting disc with the 74GB? Is it not even worth it, in terms of performance? (I've got a few other 200+GB HDs and then about 3TB worth of storage space - this would primarily be for my Windows partition + Progs and Games. I prefer not to do RAIDZ or grom my pool, yo).

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Looking at DIY installing a gigabit backbone into the house I'm getting ready to buy. I think I'm probably going to be running CAT6 -> Patchpanel -> Switch -> Router w/ Tomato firmware. Is a switch with Jumoframe support really worth it? Can I get some good 24 port switch recommendations (both with and without jumboframe support). Tips, comments, death threats?

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

divx posted:

My WD Raptor is about to die and I was wondering if anyone knows a way to speed up the RMA process so I won't have to be without my PC for a week.

Try overnighting it there and asking them if you can pay to overnight it back??

Any switch suggestions, goons?

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

jmcg_omg_kekeke posted:

So, I keep meaning to make a file server out of an old computer I have, but it's giving me too many problems, and I kind of forgot about it for a while. Yesterday I saw someone with a harddrive that had a network adapter in it, and I learned that NAS existed.

What's the best hard drive out there right now for this? I have 3 computers, 1 PC with no wireless, a PC laptop with wireless, and a Macbook. I'd like it to be recognizable across all three, since it seemed that certain drives didn't support macs after looking online for a bit.

How much should it cost? Is there a sweet spot for pricing? It'd be nice if it was raided, so I would have a chance of not losing data.., I've had hard drives fail on me in the past. If it's raided, and one of the drives inside die, how much would it cost to replace?

Just looking for a general, buy this, it's easy to set up, and you won't be ripped off. Thanks!

Welcome Linux ISO downloading buddy. They actually have a thread devoted to just this that will help you - whether you want a commercial NAD HD or a DIY Box you built from scratch:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801557

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Shinryu posted:

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but I can't reach a mod on AIM for guidance. Anyway, I'm interested in purchasing an external hard drive, and found this LaCie 301838U 2TB Hard Disk MAX by Neil Poulton Dual Drive RAID External Hard Drive. The only problem is that I can't find too many reviews. With that in mind, has anyone got any experience with this item, and, if so, could you tell me about it?

Yes, I have used Google to look for reviews. No, I don't need any "Let me Google that for you" answers.

Thanks.

While I haven't used that drive in particular, I do have a LACIE 1TB external (it's the 2x500GB in RAID0 USB-only version). I started out with two of them about two years ago. I wound up taking them on ship with me and around the world to seven different countries including Kuwait. They were frequently lent out to people who abused them (I found one guy balancing my drive (while in use) on a beam 12 feet off the ground while the ship was rocking) and in general they worked great. One of them quit working (the power cords were that model's one weak point) and I was promptly issued an RMA for it. Sadly, it wound up being dropped off of a bunk that was about 8 feet off the ground and the innards shot out of the metal case. I didn't think they'd RMA it after that.

The other one still works to this day (the power plug is a little touchy, though) and I'm preparing to rip it open and pull out the drives. LACIE makes great drives, be careful with the power cord, be aware that having two drives in RAID0 means you're twice as likely to have a drive fail and screw your data. That piano finish will collect fingerprints like crazy and the plastic case looks flimsy.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Ema Nymton posted:

My new fan setup has solved all my heat problems. Hooray! But Now I've got a big hole where my 120mm fan is.

The two open 5.25 bays allow plenty of air to move, but cat hair is free to enter the case. Those are my front USB cables, and the HDs are below them. This is an exhaust fan because the CPU cooler is huge and only fits blowing forward. I want hot air to rise up and out from the HDs, so I need to cover the whole hole.

I don't even know what parts to ask for. Where can I get a sheet of filter material big enough to fit? I don't have any tools to cut hard plastic or metal. Should I just make a frame to sit there and stretch a black nylon over it?

For now I'm covering it up with a piece from a broken bezel I found in a dumpster, but it doesn't cover what I need covered and is just for looks. It pops right in there, so I have some idea has to what size I need if I make something.

I've got your back, homeslice.

5.25 Mesh Bay w/ Filter - $10

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Space Gopher posted:

You shouldn't need filter material on an exhaust vent. You just need something to over up the grey metal frame. If I were in your situation, I'd probably just take everything out of the case, take the trim off, and hit it with two or three coats of black spraypaint. It'll blend in with the black plastic and wouldn't look too bad.

If you want cheap filter material, furnace filters work pretty well. One of those and a pair of scissors will give you a generous supply of computer fan sized filters. It'd look terrible sitting out in the open, but a wire grille and the aforementioned black nylons will take care of that easily.

Those look like they might not be compatible. It According to the first picture posted, the fan mount is covering up the drive bays completely, and those covers mount with tabs that reach back to the drive mounts. Unless there's a way to mount the fan directly to the bay covers, or push the mount further back into the case, I don't see how it would work.

Eh, he could get an exacto knife and trim them down to size. Also there is a hole on the side of the brackets where worst comes to worse he can just drill through the drive cage and put a bolt through. Or use zip ties to secure them to the drive bay. Or something.

A chopped down drive bay cover is going to look way better the a gaping hole and some quickly applied spray paint. Plus you don't have to disassemble your entire rig.

Or he could just get the legit version, assuming that fan he has in there is an add in:
http://www.xoxide.com/scythe-kama-bay-cooler-black.html

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Blacknightof82 posted:

This is my first post on a message board in a long time. Hopefully, I'm not breaking any laws that will get my brand spankin new account revoked. Also, I hope I'm posting in the right place. My laptop is a Gateway M-6851 with a core 2 duo 1800MHz cpu and a Nvidia 2600 gpu. Lately it's been running HOT. A friend purchased Ghostbusters for me through Steam. I downloaded, defragged, and is running excessively choppy. I have up to date drivers. I downloaded speedfan to check the temp of the cpu only. Both cores show 73-80C. Is this too hot? Could this be the problem? If so, how can I fix it?

Thanks

Get a laptop cooler. Don't put your laptop down so that the exhaust ports are blocked (ie, on a blanket or something).

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Blacknightof82 posted:

Thanks,
I opened up the bottom panel and there was a significant amount of dust in a heat sink. I'll grab some "air in a can" tomorrow and try to clean it out. Anyway, I would like to get a laptop cooler. I can see where an aluminum one might be superior to a plastic one. Can anyone make a good recommendation?

Eh, aluminum is better then plastic for whisking away heat, but ones with built in fans are best.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Shao posted:

Although you just mentioning the word "molex" there has made me realise I could just easily get a molex to 6 pin adapter! So thanks for that!

Did you check the 260 box? Most new GFX cards come with those adapters.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Shao posted:

If ever there was a time for that Picard emoticon, this it it. It was snuggled comfortably into a pile of clothes. Thanks guys, was in too much of a rush to get it installed!

Clean up your drat goon cave! Just kidding, glad you got it sorted.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Anyone have a good, cheap vendor for SAS -> Sata cables? I got a new high end RAID card and need the SAS 4X -> SATA cables. I've found some listings on google but none that have prices posted.

- One SAS SFF8087 x4 internal connector
- One SAS SFF8470 x4 external connector

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

alanthecat posted:

What power supply do I need for an AMD Duron 1400 with 4 hdds and a burner? The guy in the shop told me 350 would be fine but I think it has caused me problems. And I've all the PCI slots full.

It isn't the wattage of the PS, it's the quality.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3056150&pagenumber=1

gently caress, question from page 1

Ceros_X fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 10, 2009

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Haier posted:

I bought my hard-drive, but my kit for transferring the files is not compatible. Can anyone tell me what kind of cable I would need for this type of drive connection?:

I don't know the name of this. I would like something that goes into the USB.

/confusion

Thanks in advance.

You can get one of these SATA/IDE to USB Adapters to transfer files from hard drives to a computer via USB. I have one and it works fine.

Also, note that in the hard drive you posted, there are two power connectors. One SATA power connector (far left in picture) and one 4 pin molex connector (far right in picture). Only use one power connector, don't try and hook up both.

One with better reviews: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

Ceros_X fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Aug 5, 2009

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Dominoes posted:

What Joystick should I buy? I'm going to use it for ArmA 2, the Google Earth flight sim, Hawx and maybe some flight sims if I buy them.

Someone in the ArmA thread recommended the Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X. It gets great reviews on Amazon. What other joysticks should I look at in this price range? I'm thinking of just buying this.

I'd use my old Sidewinder Precision Pro, but I lose the gameport->USB adapter that it came with.

I've got something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-X45-Control-Joystick-Throttle/dp/B00005TOTG that I don't use that I'd let go of for a little less then $50 if you're interested.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Dominoes posted:

What model is it specifically?

Just checked the packaging and it is actually the Saitek X45, pics available if you want to shoot me your e-mail via PM or something. Or I can open an SA-Mart thread.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Yuyuke posted:

That'd be a great idea if this thing came with a manual. :argh: Stupid Newegg Open Box policy.

I'm reasonably sure the problem is the new board, since my old one works just fine. I'll try downloading more current drivers and installing them that way.

As for the Windows install CD, it apparently ISN'T a normal install CD. It has an Alienware logo printed on it, not to mention no "Set Up Windows XP Now" option, let alone a Repair option. Unless Mediaphage intended for me to load the CD with the computer already booted to the desktop, which is what I'm about to try.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us hey cool online manual download jigga whut

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

PlasticSpoon posted:

Whats the difference between a Wireless Access Point and a Wireless Bridge?

I have a TV on the other side of the house as my wireless router. It only has wired ports to connect to the internet (the TV). I just want to be able to hook up to the wireless network. Which do I need? I think I only need a bridge, correct?

A wireless bridge allows you to turn a wireless signal into an ethernet cord that you can plug into a non-wifi, network capable device. So, yeah, you should just need an ethernet bridge, assuming you can connect normally to your wifi network from wherever you need the bridge at.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Goncyn posted:

Thanks. Just to be clear, this is true even if that single card on a single lane is driving four monitors? Also, do you mind if I ask why? I totally failed at Googling information about video card bus bandwidth usage, and I'd like to know how you know x1 is enough.

You could check this article out, where it talks about running a high end card at different rates. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pci-express-scaling-analysis,1572.html (Not exactly what you're looking for, but eh )

Also, something like this seems to handle it just fine (see reviews) http://tinyurl.com/yygwvhd . I think everyone's saying it'd be cheaper to just by a x16 card and use it in a x1 slot.

Ceros_X fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 15, 2010

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

~Coxy posted:

May I ask though what single-width video card can drive four monitors?

See my tinyurl link two posts up.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Make sure you have all the power plugs needed for the new card before you go to switch them out. Sometimes the newer, faster cards require a 6 pin power connector (looking at some random brands of ATi HD 4650 your apparently does). If he threw away his Y adapter and your PS is an older one with no connector it could be a pain.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Wendow posted:

I'm going to upgrade my motherboard, CPU, RAM, and video card. I currently have Windows 7 installed on my hard drive. Will there be any problems if I just hook up my hard drive to the new motherboard/setup? I was going to just reformat and re-install but I got Windows 7 through MSDNAA during the school year and I forgot to write down my key. I won't be able to look it up until the semester starts next month.

You should be able to use a program like http://download.cnet.com/WinGuggle/3000-2094_4-10795752.html or something to recover your Windows CD Key. Then just reinstall with said key.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

BorderPatrol posted:

It probably wont boot. Windows 7 is better than previous versions but you're going to be installing hardware it may not have drivers for to begin with.

Also, download Magic Jellybean Keyfinder and write down your product key already.

I was going to recommend that also, but apparently the free version doesn't work with Win7. Gotta upgrade for that.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

BorderPatrol posted:

I guess Speccy was updated to read CD keys now too.

That is pretty neat - thanks.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Danger Mahoney posted:

I ordered a replacement case that has four 120mm fans in it. I have always used the motherboard headers to power and control the speeds of the fans in my case, but it only support controlling two fans at once. What do I do with four? Am I going to have to suck it up and just plug them into the power supply and let them all run at constant speed?

They have fan controller cards or breakout boxes:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998032

etc that let you hook up all your fans and control them individually or all at once. Google "Fan controller" or "Fan controller card" or search on Newegg.

Ceros_X fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 8, 2010

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Ironsights posted:

^Was I retarded and bought incompatible parts? I have only built two computers ever, so I'm wondering if I've missed something stupid.

Do you have the additional 8 pin PSU plug plugged into the MB?

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

StickFigs posted:

I'm looking for a wireless adapter.

My situation is my school is taking out all wired internet connections in the dorms and replacing it with wireless internet. I need a wireless adapter that will let me connect my PC/PS3/Xbox to the internet all at once via ethernet cable.

It also needs to be 802.11n-compatible.

Does such a device exist?

Pretty sure you need a Wireless Bridge. A quick google search for "wireless bridge n" turns up a bunch of results. Should just be able to hook that up and plug it into your router and carry on as normal. I'd recommend one, but I don't have any experience with them.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Danger Mahoney posted:

I have always thought it would be cool to have a tiny monitor on my desk that would just display a bunch of customizable information. Things like a gmail notifier, system temperatures, twitter feeds, etc. The closest I've found is the Liliput or Mimo USB monitors, but those things are fuckall expensive, and it doesn't look like there's any huarantee of software that would make it work the way I wanted.

Is there any way to get something like this on the cheap? I'm even fine with rolling my own, software, driver and all. Maybe an application that would work with a docked Ipod Touch?

Wireless Bridge/Ethernet Converter (converts wireless to Ethernet) are pretty much the same thing. You need a router (or switch for a dumb configuration) to let you hook up multiple devices to the bridge. If you don't have a problem just unplugging the cable from the PS3 and plugging it into the 360 you shouldn't need a router or switch. (They just give you more ports to plug into hurrr)

As far as the secured/unsecured thing, sounds feasible (assuming they don't restrict you to only one connection at a time - only one secure or insecure at a time but that would be dumb) I guess. It would help if there were more details.

Also, apparently, you can search for 'Wireless N gaming adapter' to find some made to do it:

http://www.beachaudio.com/Trendware/Tew-647ga-p-266167.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=tew-647ga&utm_content=atr

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

StickFigs posted:

Well the deal with the secured/unsecured wifi thing is I know there are two different wifi things you can use, the secured one and the unsecured one. Using the secured one is only possible with a computer, so I wanted to have the Xbox and PS3 on the unsecured network while my PC would use the secured network.

So I guess the real question is does the Buffalo ethernet converter thing allow me to log each connected device on to a different wifi network or does it only allow one network at a time shared betwen the 4 devices?

It's a Linksys BEFSR41 v3. Do I have to use it as a switch specifically? Why can't I just use it as a router? I mean if I bought a wifi-to-ethernet converter with only one ethernet output then put that through the router then plug my devices into my router. But then again I would have to figure out if that setup would allow me to use the secure and unsecure wifi network on the appropriate devices... UGHHHH I HATE THIS

You don't need a wireless ethernet converter/bridge to hook up your laptop... just connect wirelessly. (If you have a desktop/laptop without a wireless card, then just drop the less then $20 on a Wireless N USB card)

The reason why the router can give you problems is because routers by default use DHCP to hand out IP addresses. If your router is trying to hand them out and the school network is trying to hand them out things can get boned. Switches can't do that, they are just dumb with no DHCP on board. You can configure the router not to use DHCP, but you know, effort.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Hadlock posted:

In my experience RAM has a pretty noticeable effect on battery life. Quadrupling your RAM is going to quadruple your RAM power drain. My laptop's ram has a heat spreader on it and is pretty darn hot, now imagine adding 4x the ball roasting fire to your laptop, and figure out how much wattage it takes to heat and keep heated those extra RAM sticks. My netbook went from 3 hrs down to 2.5 hrs when I went from 1 to 2GB, my laptop went from 1.5 hrs (older battery) down to about an hour when I went from 512mb->1gb

I think Microsoft disagrees with you. In fact, they recommend ADDING RAM to CONSERVE BATTERY POWER.

http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/maintenance/battery.aspx

Yeah, it is definitely the ram that is making your laptop 'ball roasting hot'.

:ughh:

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

The Mack and Cheese posted:

Also, after first guy helped me with the RAM, he suggested flashing the BIOS. He mentioned there's a 10% chance that it would ruin my motherboard, but I think that's too much of a risk. I'm gonna try what you guys recommended first.

There isn't a 10% chance that flashing your BIOS would ruin it, that's pretty ridiculous. You will only run into problems if you pull the power halfway through the process or should lose power halfway through the process. Although, from reading your posts, you seem pretty spastic and the tech on the phone thought there was a 10% chance you would just pull the power halfway though for fun.

The Mack and Cheese posted:

And I have an external hard drive to save files, but that would mean re-installing all the games and progs I have, which I really dread doing.

OMG, not :effort: :smithicide:

I know you can't live without your PC for two weeks (lolwhut). Suck it up and deal with the 5 hours it takes to reinstall and reload your programs while you watch anime or quit bitching about your frame rates.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Lovie Unsmith posted:

I just upgraded my work computer, but I still need the old one for a legacy app until a newer version gets installed on my new one. Since moving off my desk my old one has decided to boot in VGA mode (640x480, 16 colors) and if I right-click on the desktop and choose Properties, it blue-screens and cites corruption in VGA.DLL - I literally only moved it from one desk to another :psyduck: Moved it back to my desk, same thing.

Sounds dumb, but if there's discrete graphics in yuor computer make sure you are plugging your DVI/VGA/HDMI cable into the discrete graphics card port and not the integrated one coming out of the MB.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Whoops, that was a very old question!

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

GODDAMN FOOL posted:

I'm currently building a PC on which I plan to run 3 21.5" monitors. I keep seeing mixed answers about whether I'll need to GPUs or not. Right now, I plan on getting one 6950 (or maybe 6970, I can't decide), but will I need 2 GPUs for 3 monitors (keeping in mind the framerates also) or can I just chain 3 monitors together?

Maximum PC did a recent article where the compared different multiple monitor solutions. Check it out (especially the third page)

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/multiscreen_madness_we_test_four_incredible_display_setups?page=0,0

HoH!

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

enotnert posted:

I personally use WD essentials. . . I mean basically any drive by a major manufacturer will work just fine. If you go reading the reviews they'll normally be slammed down by people who got ones out of a bad batch.

But they're hard drives.

It happens.

gently caress WD externals. Yes, please give me an external with a supershort micro USB cable that falls out if you bump it that has integrated shitware (WD SmartWare, Memeo, etc) that you need a special program to remove.. it'd be one thing if it was something a simple format could take care of, but a VCD you need a special utility to remove? No thanks!

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Etrips posted:

What would you recommend then? I really just want something I can drag and drop what I want onto it.

I've always had good experience with Toshiba HDDs, but that's anecdotal. Most major hard drive manufacturers should be fine, I'd just try and stick to hard drives with mini-usb cables instead of micro. Some manufacturers you should probably look at as: Samsung, Toshiba, Seagate.

Here is a newegg search filtered to those manufacturers with only 2.5" (notebook drives that only require USB power to run) externals showing. You should be able to further refine it by price/capacity. (Check the pictures to see what sort of connector it has if that matters to you).

http://tinyurl.com/etrips-hdds

After you find one you like, punch the hard drive name and model into google and hit shopping and see if any major retailers (Amazon, bestbuy, etc) is selling it cheaper then newegg.

Bob Morales posted:

It's in the ROM of the controller chip. Just ignore it.

I don't like the 2.5" WD's because you can't rip them out of the enclosure and stick them in a PC, they have that stupid USB connection ON THE DRIVE instead of a SATA connection with a USB adapter.

Seagate's GoFlex has the best solution as far as adapters/interfaces go. If you don't care about that poo poo just buy the cheapest 2.5" drive you can find.

Eh, my employer's computer security restrictions prevent the drives from being installed (the VCDs aren't on the hardware whitelist and it keeps the device from being reconigzed), so I have to remove it in order to use it at work. Plus it is bullshit to not be able to remove it without a simple format. Although the reason you mentioned is also a good one.

Ceros_X fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 19, 2011

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Alereon posted:

This is a lot more expensive and complicated. What you're looking for is a Network Attached Storage box, or NAS. These have Ethernet ports that you connect to your router or switch, allowing any computer on your network to access the data, including over a wireless connection if you have a wireless router. The less expensive devices use a proprietary protocol called Network Direct Attached Storage, which requires you to install software on each computer that you want to be able to access the drive on, which is pretty lovely. Here's an example NAS box for $107.85, it's actually the only one I see on Newegg that doesn't use the NDAS crap. Alternatively, your router may have USB ports to allow you to plug in and share USB drives. Keep in mind that accessing your drive over Wireless will be a LOT slower than over USB, over a wired Gigabit Ethernet network it can range from being a bit slower to a bit faster than USB 2.0, but at best will be about half the speed of a USB 3.0 connection.

Actually I think he's talking about this, which I didn't even know existed. Apparently it is extremely format picky, etc. Nice concept though.

LifeSizePotato, as far as I know, there are no enclosures like this available for you to roll your own - you'll have to use a premade one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

LifeSizePotato posted:

Honestly, I was originally wanting to just buy something off Amazon that's ready to go, like that link you just posted. I only had the idea of making my own after reading the talk above about making your own external drive using an enclosure. I figured we'd have the technology by now to just plug hard drive into the wall and do some basic wired setup to let the network see it, and BAM, file sharing for the whole house.

A lot of routers have a USB port built into them that lets you plug in a HDD and share it like you are saying, but in practice it isn't nearly as smooth (nor transfers as fast) as you would like. Also what Aleron said, etc.

• Locked thread