Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackclaw
Jan 4, 2008

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER HAS A BETTER CHANCE OF RELEASING IN AUSTRALIA THAN ROCK BAND EVER WILL

poo poo is weak posted:

I am looking for a quality headset for gaming. I need something that is comfortable on my sensitive ears, but with good sound. Looking for spend around $50. What do you guys recommend?

I would strongly suggest getting a standard pair of headphones, while buying an additional desktop mic (although Zalman make this type of microphone that clips onto your headphones, w/e). If you choose to do this your options will increase heavily, especially at that price range.

There's a thread on the A/V Arena for headphones -
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2387142

Here's a question for myself.

I'm having trouble being able to play online games consistently as I share my broadband with others in the house via wi-fi. I'm not really that adept at home networking, so I don't know what can be done - is there any way that I can ensure that a particular portion of bandwidth (say, 15KB/s) is reserved to a particular IP? Are there any other methods to ensure that downloading/torrenting/etc does not affect online games/ventrilo etc?

e: it's a D-Link DIR-300 for what it's worth.

Blackclaw fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Oct 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackclaw
Jan 4, 2008

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER HAS A BETTER CHANCE OF RELEASING IN AUSTRALIA THAN ROCK BAND EVER WILL
I'm a dumb baby and didn't see the Home Network thread before posting. Thanks a lot :)

Blackclaw
Jan 4, 2008

I'm hearing clicking coming from my case, which I can only assume to be my hard drive dying a slow death (it gets worse when I play games, so I'm pretty sure my suspicion's right).

My question is, if I were to buy a new hard drive, is there any way to seamlessly transfer everything from my old HDD to my new HDD? Is it just as simple as copy-pasting everything (and changing drive letters), or are there hidden registries and poo poo that I'd have to take care of first?

I figured I'd make sure as I don't want to swap hard drives and then have some of my stuff no longer work.

e: for clarity, this is just a storage HDD. There are installed programs etc on it, but the OS is on an entirely different drive

Blackclaw fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 18, 2011

Blackclaw
Jan 4, 2008

Hi guys,

Doing some work on my brother's computer, he bought himself some new RAM and he's had trouble installing it:

Any attempts to start up the system result in a POST code of 1 long, 2 short beeps. For his motherboard (Asus P7P55LX) it apparently means it's a memory issue.

However even using his old memory results in this POST code, making me suspect that it's an issue with the DIMM slots (e.g. contamination).

I know that 1 long/2 short for POST generally implies a display/video issue but Asus literature claims it to be a regular memory issue - which would make sense as we haven't touched the graphics card.

Is there anything else left to consider, or should I just spray some CO contact cleaner into the DIMM slots and see how that goes?

e: To add to that, we're using the right slots, and we've tried sticks of memory in both slots (one at a time) - neither seem to work. :/

Blackclaw fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 6, 2012

Blackclaw
Jan 4, 2008

Ceros_X posted:

Eh, might want to try a Haus of Tech Support thread - might get more responses. That being said, can you verify that the RAM is good? (IE, you have a working computer you can put it in, take all the RAM out of it, and then run it one stick at a time to see if there are any errors). If that doesn't work, you could try spraying out the ram slots with compressed air but if the ram is good then the MB may be bad. Find a way to check and see if the RAM is good and you'll cut your troubleshooting down a bit. Also, did you buy ram that was on the approved list by the MB manufacturer?

Took a magnifying glass to it, there seemed to be electrical damage in one of the DIMM slots (and my brother complained about smelling something weird from the case) and a bent-out pin in one of the others. Bought him a new motherboard and everything's going swimmingly. Thanks for the help. :)

• Locked thread