Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowdez
Feb 4, 2008
up the irons

UserMan posted:

My video card(x1600) just peaked in temperature at 110C, I opened the PC case and used an air can to spray all the dust and now it runs a lot better, but should I be concerned that it was damaged?

You should stress it with some heavy-graphic stuff like 3DMark, or games like Crysis or Call of Duty 4 and others.
Check it's idle and stress temperature, see if you get artifacts when it's stressed, if no artifacts or any strange black screens or restarts then you're fine.

And an ATI question for ya'll:
I'm using x800 with catalyst 8.1 (everything above shows me a black screen in Warcraft 3)
I've checked the event viewer and it's showing shitload of this error:
the source is ati2mtag, and the error message is CRT invalid display type.

Any idea how can I solve this crap ?

Lowdez fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 20, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowdez
Feb 4, 2008
up the irons

faarcyde posted:

OK so I installed a new ASUS nvidia 9600 gt video card today. i plug it in. i load windows. it installs some drivers. nothing really looks different than when i had onboard video so i go to display adapters. it recognizes the card but says i need to restart for everything to work properly. i restart. i hear the little vista jingle but windows doesn't load, just a black screen. only way i can load windows is via safe mode?

any ideas?

do i need to change something in my bios?

Boot into safe mode, uninstall your current drivers, then run driver cleaner (or anything that does the similar effect), then boot into windows again and install nvidia's newest drivers (177.xx), restart and everything should be fine.
Also - make sure you've disabled your onboard when using the 9600.

You can use this cleaner:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-(Setup)-download-1655.html

Lowdez
Feb 4, 2008
up the irons

faarcyde posted:

lowdez can you give me your AIM name. im still having some trouble. thanks

I'm not using AIM, but you can reach me on lowdez@gmail.com

Lowdez
Feb 4, 2008
up the irons

jassa posted:

I'm working on a computer for a client - it was originally bluescreening and unable to boot into XP, and after troubleshooting a bit I suspected the hdd might be failing (something reinforced by its behaviour when I threw it in my PC to back up the data).

Problem is, now I've replaced the SATA hdd it won't boot up at all, not even into the BIOS. The PSU powers up and provides power to the CPU fan and hdd, but there's no video signal and the PC doesn't even give off any beeps (including the usual one you get when booting up).

Is the motherboard dead? Or could it be something else?

Maybe.
Try to reset it's CMOS, you know when it will beep like crazy.

• Locked thread