Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Does anyone know if anyone makes an ATI 4850 card with a dual-slot cooler? I only upgrade every 3 or 4 years and I have my doubts than an 87 degree graphics card is going to last that long.

If not, what would be my best alternative, assuming I didn't want to mess with after-market coolers? I assume it'd be a GeForce 9800 GTX?

Zephro fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 9, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I'm trying to put together an ITX system based on an Antec ISK-300, a case with a 150W PSU. I've been unable to find a case that's similarly small with a beefier PSU with the exception of this, and apparently that is very noisy.

So I'm trying to shoehorn some components into a very tight power envelope. Ideally, I want to get a discrete graphics card in there, almost certainly a 7750, which has a 55W TDP. Combined with a 35W Ivybridge chip, that gives me 60W left for every other component in the system. And that's probably more like 50W once you add on some safety margin. That means every watt is precious. Does anyone have any rough-and-ready figures for how much power an ITX motherboard is likely to consume? And how about a laptop-style slimline optical drive? Will two sticks of RAM consume twice the power of one stick, assuming equal capacities (ie, 2x2 GB versus 1x4 GB)?

Zephro fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 11, 2013

• Locked thread