Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
astounding_zlatan
Apr 27, 2003
I know people always go on about how using cheap PSUs can kill your gran and rape your dog, etcetera, but I'm on a severe budget and I need a new PSU. I'm running four hard drives, a DVDRW drive, dual-core AMD and an overclocked 7900GTO. I figure I'll need at least 550W because I'm on 430W and it's just not enough, my system is nowhere near stable.

Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astounding_zlatan
Apr 27, 2003
What's the best motherboard that:
  • Would support an E8400 running at ~4ghz
  • Would support a 45nm Quad-core in the future
  • Isn't prohibitively expensive
  • Has PCI-E x16
  • Has at least 2 IDE channels
  • And 4 SATA

...? One with integrated graphics would be a nice bonus, too.

astounding_zlatan
Apr 27, 2003

pockets posted:

None really. You'll have to add an IDE controller card to almost any motherboard nowadays to get a second IDE channel. And forget about overclocking with any motherboard that has integrated graphics.

Okay, well what if I drop the IDE channel requirements and the integrated graphics? I don't mind buying an IDE card. It's just that I've got 2 IDE HDDs and 2 DVDRW drives that it would be a shame to lose.

astounding_zlatan
Apr 27, 2003
Okay okay okay, lets ignore the IDE drives. I'll sort that out in the future. My question still stands about what motherboard to get though. What's the best one for futureproofing that isn't retardedly overpriced? I want to get something decent since my last two motherboards severely limited my upgrade potential (AGP and s939 respectively)

astounding_zlatan
Apr 27, 2003
I've got a core2duo E6400 that seems to run very hot. With the stock cooler and at stock settings, it was at about 55c at idle and shooting up to 80 under load. I've since replaced the cooler with a Scythe Ninja and Arctic Freeze 5, and it's now idling at about 45c and hitting about 65 under load. And this is at stock settings again, no overclocking.

When I check the temps from the BIOS they always seem reasonable, around 32c. But using CoreTemp or any other program from within Windows I get very high ones.

Does this just mean the sensors on my motherboard are dodgy? Or could it even be a driver issue? Surely my PC would shut down if the temperatures were really reaching 80c? Is it safe to ignore these and do some overclocking?

Could an overloaded power supply cause anything like this? I'm on a 420W Antec one but I've got 4 HDDs, 1 DVDRW, the aforementioned CPU, 2gb RAM and a Geforce 8800GTS 512mb running on it. And loads of case fans.

• Locked thread