Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeeBye
Aug 24, 2003

For he goes birling down a-down the white water

Mr. Blue Sky posted:

I have this 6600GT; can I use two monitors with it at the same time (using both the analog and DVI ports)?

It looks like it supports dual monitors, and if this is so you should have no problems. I have an old AGP Radeon 9200SE running a dual monitor setup using the VGA and DVI outputs separately and the configuration looks exactly the same. The primary monitor is plugged into the VGA output and the secondary monitor is plugged into the DVI output using a DVI>VGA adapter that came with the card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeeBye
Aug 24, 2003

I'm kind of a dummy when it comes to LCD monitors. I bought a 22" LCD awhile ago and it didn't come with a DVI cable. I've been using a VGA cable, but now I want to use the DVI connection.

Is this the cable I need?

DeeBye
Aug 24, 2003

Drox posted:

I wanted to play my consoles on this sweet sweet monitor. However, I mistook component video (what the monitor has for inputs) for composite video (all of my video game cables).

How does the audio work with an S-video connection? What would I have to do with my speakers to get sound out of a console? I ask because my sound is onboard and has nothing to do with the display. It seems like it just wouldn't work.

Edit: After looking just a bit more, it seems that wouldn't be the right answer. Anyone know if there are A/V switches out there that can take composite in and put component out? It seems that neither of the S-video or the composite (video only) inputs have audio associated with them.

RCA Composite carries the video signal through the yellow (video) wire, and the sound through the red and white cables (for left and right channel audio). Since the monitor cannot produce sound, you'll need to plug it into your line-in port on your computer's sound card.

The monitor will also not accept video from the RCA Composite (yellow) wire, so you'll need a way to convert it to either Component, S-Video, or VGA.

Browsing Monoprice.com, I couldn't find a single item that will do what you need, but I did find a combination of items that should work.

This is the cable that has all of the connections you need. One end has S-Video (male) to connect to your monitor, along with a 3.5mm Audio connection to plug into your line-in jack on your sound making device (sound card or stereo).
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10207&cs_id=1020704&p_id=2843&seq=1&format=2

The other end has the RCA Composite connections, but they are male so you'll need this 3-jack RCA coupler to convert it to female to accept the RCA Composite input from your video gaming system/DVD player/VCR/camcorder/whatever.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040107&p_id=3002&seq=1&format=2

Total price = $7.42 :)

DeeBye
Aug 24, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

The composite video input sure does work with any proper signal if the monitor is functioning properly, I don't know what DeeBye is talking about. The monitor has DVI, VGA, Composite, S-Video and Component video inputs.

I didn't realise it had Composite. I thought it only had Component in addition to the others :doh:

In short, I am a retard :colbert:

DeeBye
Aug 24, 2003

I just put together a new system and I'm worried I didn't get the heatsink on the CPU correctly. SpeedFan shows I'm idling at 58°, but the BIOS says in the low 30s right after a reboot.

Which one is correct and should I be concerned?

edit: Core 2 Duo E8400 with the stock heatsink

DeeBye
Aug 24, 2003

I have never owned a webcam, but now I need one. What webcams are good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeeBye
Aug 24, 2003

lazydog posted:

Microsoft Lifecam Cinema does 720p and is $49.99 on Amazon.
Looking at youtube videos, it's comparable to the Quickcam Pro 9000, and it's $40 less.

edit: Here's someone's comparison of the two http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI66xQeXMjk

I want to punch that guy in the face and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's the haircut.

So I guess it's down to Microsoft vs Logitech? Which one has the least lovely software?

• Locked thread