Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Zorilla posted:

Here's one I don't see getting resolved by NVIDIA any time soon:

I just upgraded to 91.31 ForceWare drivers and am getting messages about my second SLI card being disconnected. It would be nice and informative, except for the fact I'm not even running an SLI board and only use one card.

I have an ASUS A8N5X and eVGA 6800GS. Is there a way to get rid of this poo poo from reappearing every time I boot Windows?

http://tinyurl.com/h9bcw

I haven't seen this answered yet. That should fix it.

Edit: Also on the topic of 7900 series cards, I just upgraded my 7800GTX 256MB to a 7900GTX 512MB, but for most people this is a pointless upgrade. I would only suggest it if you're running the latest games on a VERY high res display (1920x1200 and up). Most people won't see the benefits on smaller displays.

Double Edit: In regards to the PSU debate, I'm running an Athlon X2 4400+ w/ the previously mentioned 7900GTX on a Seasonic S12 380W.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 11, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

mATX isn't for everyone, but I've built 5 machines based around this Asus AM2 motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131014

I also built 2 more based on the previous boards for sockets 939 and 754:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131570
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131588

I've never had any problems with any of them.

Edit: These can be used in regular ATX cases, you don't need a mATX case. The only thing you're sacrificing is some expansion slots.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 8, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CactusWeasle posted:

Here's one: are we going to see graphics cards that have HDMI connections? A lot of LCD TV's only have VGA input and no digital option (like the Samsung LE32R41B that im using now). It would be nice to be displaying 1360x768 in digital

They're already out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102032

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CactusWeasle posted:

early models are probably riddled with issues

They're actually not. The technology to put HDMI/HDCP in video cards has been around for several years (I think the 6800 series chipset supported it as the earliest example) but it's up to the card manufacturers to actually put the HDCP chip on the card. Up until now there hasn't been much of a reason for them to do that.

Edit: here's some great articles on the topic:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060214-6177.html
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_nvidia_hdcp_support/

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 8, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Zorilla posted:

Also, couldn't you just use a DVI-to-HDMI adapter on a regular card? I was under the impression that HDCP was checked by the source device (e.g. usually a cable box, in this case, the video card)

No. Manufacturers weren't enabled the HDCP funcitonality in cards until the HDMI cards started coming out.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Melting Eggs posted:

I see some motherboard makers are coming out with boards that support 3 16x PCI-e slots. What's that all about, support 3 video cards at once or something else?

ATI demonstrated a system with 3 video cards in it. 2 in Crossfire doing graphics calculations, and a third with its GPU dedicated solely to running physics (Havok API - take THAT PhysX).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Zorilla posted:

or maybe that it's even bi-directional?

This is basically correct. Every link in the chain must support HDCP, end to end.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

DeadlySpork posted:

I plan on purchasing an amd athlon 64 x2 4800 in the near future, one of the biggest problems i've had before in my life was overheating computers.

Would the thermaltake blue orb 2 provide efficient cooling to keep the temp at a safe level? I shall be doing a lot of gaming, so the processor will probably be running at "burn status" a lot during the day.

I also know that the blue orb II has problems fitting into select motherboards, has anyone had problems installing it with the a8r32-mvp mainboard?

I'm not sure what your previous builds were running, but overheating really isn't an issue anymore for people that don't overclock. The AthlonX2's run really cool with the stock heatsink/fan, so I wouldn't worry about replacing it unless you want something passsive or you want to overclock.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Alfajor posted:

I ran the nvidia display adjustment wizard (the one that makes you play with those sliders for Red, Green and Blue), and I don't really like what it looks like now. Although I can go back and gonk it on purpose, it still doesn't look like it used to before I ran the wizard.
How can I restore the display settings to what they were back when?

If I remember correctly, running it again will reset the values. So just run the wizard again and don't adjust any of the values.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

gwar3k1 posted:

Whats the deal with buying parts from America and having them shipped to the UK? I could save $120 if I bought from NewEgg but they don't ship international and I'm pretty sure there must be a legal reason or something.

Can anyone enlighten me please?

Don't you have to pay customs on it?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Boz0r posted:

Does anyone know what the difference between all the new intel chipsets for the new Core 2 Duo CPUs are? I can't seem to find anything on this on their own site, and I tried googling for this. If anyone has a link to a comparison chart or something equally snappy, I'd be very grateful.

EDIT: I actually found a comparison chart on Intel's site, but it's rather retarded, and very hard to get any actual information out of, or maybe it's just me.
Lucky you, that's a short hardware question that DOES deserve its on thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2014406

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 26, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Boz0r posted:

I've been looking at some different motherboards, and it seems that there are some with SingleBios, some with DualBios and some with QuadBios. I've searched on google, but I can't really find any info on this. What's the use of this?

These are usually found on enthusiast boards. The idea for dual BIOS was that if you managed to severely break something while overclocking (won't POST) or you screw up a BIOS flash you can revert back to a safe BIOS. The quad BIOS is similar in that it's designed to have multiple saved configurations, typically for overclocking.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

chizad posted:

Quick question about laptop hard drives. Are 7200RPM drives as big an improvement over 5400RPM drives in laptops as they are in desktops?

I would say so. It seems the slowest component in most laptops nowadays is the hard drive. Vendors will put Core Duo processors and 2 GB of RAM but use a 4200RPM hard drive. Windows takes 2 minutes to load. It's a freaking joke. I immediately replaced my laptop hard drive with a 7200RPM hard drive and it flies now. I would absolutely recommend it if you can afford the upgrade.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

rndm posted:

So when I'm playing WoW I sometimes get these green lines that appear over the game that fucks up all the textures and video. When I exit out to Windows it sometimes is there too and I dont know what to do about it. I have the latest ATI drivers installed so what else can it be?

I have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro.

Check to make sure your card isn't overheating. Clean the heatsink of any dust and make sure the fan is spinning properly.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pumpy Tudors posted:

I have an NVIDIA graphics card that I'd like to put into a new motherboard. Can I put this PCI Express NVIDIA card into a board that's Crossfire-compatible? Obviously, NVIDIA isn't Crossfire, but if I just want to put one graphics card into a motherboard, can this work?

A single NVIDIA card will work just fine in a Crossfire board.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ravarek posted:

Is it true that having a PCI soundcard ( as opposed to using onboard sound ) will give a minor boost to system performance since it offloads all the audio work?

While this may have been true several years ago, audio really doesn't cause that much of a performance drop on modern processors. Vista will also help eliminate this concern as I believe they are getting rid of Direct Sound 3D acceleration, so it will all be done in software anyway.

Edit: Here's a post by a Creative rep over on their forums regarding the changes in Vista. As expected, they're trying to get developers to use OpenAL so they still have a market :rolleyes: :

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=Vista&message.id=1694

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 12, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Tracer Tong posted:

I have a FPCCD19 External CD Drive with my Fujitsu Lifebook B Series (2620) laptop. I have a USB bootable Floppy drive, and I was wondering how I would get either the CD drive to boot, or get it to boot through the DOS drivers I have using a Floppy disk.

It pains me that I cannot flatten and reinstall rather than upgrade from 2000, and I would like to be able to run Linux on this thing.

See if there's an updated BIOS for your unit to allow booting from external USB devices. Otherwise, you'll have to boot off of a USB enabled floppy boot disk and then run whatever install you need off of the CD.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bo_chrud posted:

First off, i have a stock 120mm jet plane engine in the back of my cooler master case. The case itself, has a 90mm in front of the hd bay, and im using the stock amd cooler. I was just wondering, would i honestly lose anything if i installed a 90mm fan instead?

Replace it with a 120MM Yate Loon and you'll never hear it again.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

utopian180 posted:

I have a laptop hard drive that isn't recognized in the bios of my desktop when it was not to long ago; I can't hook it up either via my IDE-USB connector, nor via my IDE-Laptop IDE converter, though I used to be able to. I tried sticking it in the freezer for awhile.

Are there any tricks left that don't rhyme with bumpers?

Do you even know if it powers on? Does it click? We need some more info about the condition of the drive to suggest solutions.

CactusWeasle posted:

Can i unplug the north bridge fan on my motherboard without frying it?

A little further explanation: the little north bridge fan on my MSI K8N NEO4..blah blah has started to make a horrible noise, so loud infact that i can hear it with music blasting over my headphones, and its inside my "silent" (my arse) Antec P180. I've tried everything i can to stop the noise by cleaning it, stopping it with my fingers for a few secs. etc but i guess the bearing is just screwed. Cant find ANY replacement for it, but would it be OK to just go ahead and unplug the fan? Is it really necessary?

Buy this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118014

Assuming you don't have a massive graphics card that will get in the way of that heatsink.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 1, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

RoundsToZero posted:

Is the mid-range 8 series, 8600, going to come out in an AGP model? Or should I buy a 7600GS, which I know has an AGP model? Will the price of the 7600's go down significantly when the 8600 comes out?

I believe I read that the 8x00 series would not be coming to AGP, but I'll try to find a link to back it up. Then again, that's also what they said about the 7x00 series initially.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ijustam posted:

Sorry to bump this from the 5 day grave, but I didn't want to make a new thread for a specific question...

I have an ASUS 1394 motherboard with onboard Intel video. However, I also have a GeForce 7 in my PCIe 16x. According to my BIOS, it will only use one or the other. Is there a way around this? I want to use my graphics card for main use and my onboard as a dedicated TV.

Every motherboard I've worked on with Intel integrated graphics lacked the ability to act as a secondary display adapter once a graphics card was installed. I believe this is an actual limitation of the chipset itself and can't be worked around unfortunately. I've been able to do it with integrated offerings from NVIDIA, but never Intel.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Burning Mustache posted:

^^^
I don't get it ? :confused:

A quick Google search turned up three articles mentioning that a RAID 0 system will actually improve performance (even if one article states that it's just a few seconds). Considering the load times of recent games (BF2, which takes almost a minute to load on my current system, just to name one), I'm happy with any improvement I can get.
Besides, whether I'm spending 120 bucks on a single 500GB drive or 130 bucks on 2 250GB drives doesn't really make a difference when I'm buying a computer for ~1200 anyway.
So why not just answer my question ? :(

RAID 0's a complete waste of money for gaming. It's a topic that's been beaten to death on these forums, so any time it's brought up you're always ridiculed. To answer your question, you can use any drives you want.

Edit from the SH/SC FAQ:

quote:

Should I use RAID 0 on my system to increase performance?

Probably not. Read the following articles:

http://faq.storagereview.com/SingleDriveVsRaid0
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2101

Basically, RAID0 significantly increases your chances of data loss (i.e. if one drive fails, all data on array is gone), in exchange for fairly insignificant performance gains. It won't make your games faster, and in fact very few storage-intensive tasks will see any kind of benefit at all. Don't bother with RAID0 unless you have a good reason to.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

simcole posted:

What was the recommended website for buying cheap hdmi cables.

http://monoprice.com/home/index.asp

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

dest posted:

Is there anyway to make the windows desktop and movies, completely full screen, and not have that little black border? I'm using an Nvidia card, are there any third party drivers that would help me adjust that?

I'm pretty sure you should have overscan settings in your NVIDIA control panel.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Tamizander Rey posted:

I have a question and I'd like to prove my roommate wrong.

We have two computers hardwired to our router and one laptop that is wireless. Often I come home and find all the computers turned off. He says that even though they are idle, they are affecting the speed when he goes to host Xbox Live games. Is this true? How would this happen?

Unless they're actually using bandwidth by torrenting or something like that then he has no reason to turn them off. Computers don't randomly use up bandwidth unless they're downloading Windows Updates or have been hijacked. Otherwise they don't use any noticeable amount of bandwidth while idle. Tell him to stop touching your god drat computers or you'll piss on his Xbox and poo poo under his pillow.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

boingthump posted:

My question is are DX10 Cards backwards compatible to Dx9?
Yes.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Avalanche posted:

How long is microsoft going to continue to support Win XP with regular updates?

2014 for XP Pro, at least I think that's what this page means. I could be wrong because that seems like an awfully long time.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 26, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

A Large Cake posted:

Dell DM051. Prebuilt.

That's an E510, which according to :google: means you have a PCIe 16x slot.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

is that a egg posted:

I have a Toshiba Satellite M115 and there are some games I am interested in that require better graphics card setups than the integrated Intel chipset that I currently have. Is it at all possible to upgrade this or am I SOL?
You're screwed. Sorry.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

liquidfire posted:

Will this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186115 fit in an Antec Sonata 2? My mobo fried and this is the cheapest replacement I can find.
Wow Newegg isn't loading for me. Must be a day after Thanksgiving rush or something. Anyway, as long as it's just another ATX or mATX motherboard it should be fine. I can't imagine you'd be buying a mainstream motherboard that won't fit a Sonata 2.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It doesn't seem like 1TB drives have been around long enough to come to any conclusions regarding reliability, or at least I haven't heard any. I've got a couple at work that I've had no problems with, but that's an essentially worthless endorsement. Hard drives can be finicky, so I just tend to err on the side of caution and keep lots of backups. Since you said you'll be using this device primarily as a Time Machine backup drive, I'd say you'll be fine. Unless of course the drive somehow breaks at the same time as the Mac you're using it as backup for. For worst case scenario circumstances like that (house burning down, getting robbed, etc.) I use Amazon's S3 for cheap off-site backup of my most critical documents.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

fallenturtle posted:

Is there a better thread for my question?
Probably the HTPC megathread in The A/V Arena.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Space Gopher posted:

Try the new Flash beta before you buy a new processor. Adobe finally got off their asses and started offloading video decoding to the video card.
Don't forget the latest video drivers. The Flash beta won't do poo poo for acceleration without them.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sour Fish posted:

Is there a program that can give me a list of all the hardware that is in my pc?
http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Danith posted:

So my computer supports booting from a USB stick, I was wondering if I hooked a hard drive up to an SATA to USB adapter I would be able to boot off of it (assuming it was partitioned and had a boot sector)?
It depends more on the operating system you're trying to boot. Most versions of Windows require some serious tweaking to get USB booting to work, if it'll work at all.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sour Fish posted:

How can I tell how many platters my hard drive has? Seagate st3250823as 250gb 7200rpm
It's two 133GB platters and also nearly 5 years old. I recommend replacing it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I googled "seagate 7200.8 review" and came across this AnandTech article which describes the platter configuration.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Xanin posted:

If I can run them together, and say my current sticks are a slower speed, is it better to have 6GB of the slower speed or 4GB of the faster speed?
It depends on the usage model.

Also, I'm pretty sure dissimilar RAM will run at different timings, but they'll definitely be locked to the same frequency. I could be wrong about the timings though. Why don't you use something like CPU-Z and tell us what kind of RAM is in your PC now?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Boz0r posted:

I tried just running that Prime95 program and my CPU temperature has (I hope) evened out at around 91-93 C, 195-198 F. That's seems pretty high, doesn't it?
That's ridiculously high. Where are you getting that number? I thought the system would have shut down by then if it's accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

spe posted:

I need a new hard drive because my current one is a broken piece of trash, which manufacturers should be avoided and which ones should be given more consideration?
There really aren't any to avoid. Everyone seems to have their own anecdotes about why one brand sucks or another is great, but unless you read about widely publicized issues (Seagate firmware woes, Deathstar, etc.) there's no reason to buy one brand over another. Right now, the best price/performance can be found with Samsung SpinPoint F3 and Western Digital Caviar Blacks. Seagate's 7200.12 drives aren't a terrible choice either.

• Locked thread