Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

Two quick questions. I've just finished a new build and it's running nicely, but I'm OCD about two particular oddities. For reference, I have a Gigabyte EP45-DS3L motherboard and Antec Sonata III case, and they're recomended, so I hope someone at least has similar parts or knows what I'm talking about.

Question 1: I can only get one front panel USB port to work, the right one. There are two yellow slots marked "USB" on my motherboard, and currently only one of them has a cable in it, which goes to the front panel. Is there another front panel USB cable hidden away that I'm too blind to see, or is it par for course for two USB ports to be on one cable and something else is amiss?

Question 2: The place where the power light goes on the motherboard is two 'ticks' wide. The power light cable coming from the case that I have to plug into it is three 'ticks' wide. I guess they didn't want me to plug in the power light or something? It's not like I need it, but it bugs me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

I have two wireless peripherals hooked up to my desktop PC.

• A Linksys WMP600N that doesn't have official drivers for Windows 8, refuses to connect to 5ghz networks that actually do exist (even with force-installing older drivers) and has really godwaful reception to the point of blinking in and out usability.
  • A USB TP-Link TL-WN722N that has slightly better reception (due to it being plugged in on the front of my PC and my back being to the router), slightly better usability, but also does not support 5ghz networks, doesn't work when I resume my computer from standby unless I unplug and replug, and also has a nasty habit of just dying randomly when I'm developing a program that sends out and receives a lot of UDP traffic on a timer.

I want to buy a third wireless peripheral for my desktop PC. I don't want to buy a forth.

Also, the lovely reception is due to the fact that my wireless router is sitting a few rooms away and up some stairs in a room with the cable modem that is not actually part of my apartment, so I can't just run an Ethernet cable. What would be nice is if I could simply run a wire from the back of my PC to the closest corner of my apartment so I can get better reception. Or would a wireless repeater be a better option?

• Locked thread