Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I've got a question that I'm pretty sure I know the answer to, but I want to make sure before I open up my computer.

The computer I've got (HP) has an nVidia card on the motherboard, and it's not as good as the one in the computer I had before (Dell), which is an ATI Radeon X600. I've still got the old graphics card (the computer died, but the graphics card should still be fine). My question is, can I just install the older graphics card into the new computer, even though they're different brands? I googled a bit, and some people say it's fine, some people say they need to be the same card, but I think that may just be if I plan on running dual monitors, which I don't plan on doing. I just want to use the ATI card as my primary.

Thank you in advance for any help you guys can give me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Cidrick posted:

Yeah, as long as they use the same interface (i.e. both are AGP, or PCI-express), you can swap it in without any problems. Just make sure you install the right drivers for it once you slap it in.

Excellent. Thank you.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I've got a new computer that has an onboard graphics card that's not all that great, so I want to upgrade it. The card from my old computer won't work, because it's the wrong size. The computer says it has a PCI Express x16 port available, and the only open port I can find requires the bracket (I mean the back end of the card where the monitor would hook in) be small, like around 2 3/4". Is this a PCI Express x16? If I buy one for that port, will that fit? Is this a strange size for the bracket to be? Do cards that fit a PCI Express x16 come in different sizes?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Kaso posted:

Do you have a microATX/Small Form Factor type PC? What you're describing sounds like a Low Profile slot. Many graphics card manufacturers sell Low Profile kits with new backpanes you can swap out. One for example However if your card is a proper dual DVI high end card, you might not be able to do that and you'll be stuck doing a little bit of home-pc modding.

Yeah, I found out from someone I talked to that I've got low profile, and he's telling me all about that. Thanks for the answer.

• Locked thread