Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CHEESE-kun
May 20, 2004

by Peatpot

Akhorahilis posted:

The stock VGA cooler on my 6800GT is nowhere near adequate, as it approaches roughly the temperature of a small sun while playing more graphics-intensive games and sometimes causes my computer to lock and reset, so I need to invest in a new VGA cooler. How well would this work? Is that paying too much? And how easy are these things too assemble? I built this computer myself so I should probably be able to handle simple assembly. Any help would be great.

Are you 100% sure the locking up is due to the graphics card? I agree that aftermarket coolers do a much better job (not to mention with less noise) that the stock one, but the card should run perfectly fine stock. 6800 series cards do get quite hot anyway, idling at 60-70C isn't uncommon, but they are designed to take that kind of heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHEESE-kun
May 20, 2004

by Peatpot

Eeyo posted:

Quick hard-drive question: I've got a 200gb hard drive I won't be using for a while, what's the best place to store it? I don't have the origional containers either. Would just putting it in a cardboard box hurt it somehow?

Nope, you'll be fine. Put it in one of those anti static baggies if you want to.

CHEESE-kun
May 20, 2004

by Peatpot

alanthecat posted:

edit: maybe it wasn't the power supply's fault. I remember the controller dropping a disk not in an array when I was searching for deleted files once.

Silicon Image controller by chance? I had my fileserver drop disks randomly, and I hope to God I'm in the clear now that I bought a Promise controller (first I used two SiL controllers). drat it's frustrating being worse off with a raid array than with a single disk.

CHEESE-kun fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jul 2, 2006

CHEESE-kun
May 20, 2004

by Peatpot
The additional four pins are optional. If you want, you can buy a cheap adapter to go from 20 to 24 pins. What video card are you using? SLI?

CHEESE-kun
May 20, 2004

by Peatpot

stizu posted:

Well that was what I thought, however I found a website that identified the extra power connector as the cpu voltage regulator. Which is required for some P4 boards. I have a P4 board.

I have also found that I can get an adapter that goes from a peripheral plug to the atx12v plug. I am considering that, however isn't the peripheral voltage only 5v?

Oh boy, I misread. Sorry, but you need the extra connector if you're using a P4. You don't need it on AMD boards if you're not using SLI, and you also don't need the extra 4 pins on a 24 pin motherboard connector.

CHEESE-kun
May 20, 2004

by Peatpot

Alfajor posted:

Now here's a lame question:
What cards are better and worse than my FX5700? Is there an easy chart somewhere to compare cards? My current method of comparisson is that more expensive = better, and I am aware that this is a very flawed method.

Short answer: almost anything is better. Long answer: http://www.tomshardware.com/site/vgacharts/index.html . Tom's might not always be the most reliable source, but they sure do benchmark a lot of hardware. You'll want to look at the AGP charts. To compare that with the benchmarks for more modern PCIe cards, just remember that AGP and PCIe cards that are called the same will perform the same too.

The people over at the parts picking thread or the pages in the shsc.info wiki will be able to recommend you something for the price class you're looking at, if you want help choosing.

CHEESE-kun
May 20, 2004

by Peatpot

TopGun posted:

Anybody have any suggestions, advice, etc?

It doesn't matter that much. Low capacity, fast drives are large enough to keep the OS and installed programs/games. Putting just the OS on a drive doesn't make much sense. You can put the page file on another drive than your installed stuff for faster load times though.

Remember that you can also make partitions. A strategy I usually see is a reasonably fast, cheap per GB drive at the time the pc was built as the main drive, with a partition of like 6-10GB for OS/apps, a larger partition for installed games and the rest for storage. Then extra drives are added when space is low and a new drive can be had cheap. Planning a whole strategy in advance isn't that productive as tech advancements (such as interface changes), space increases/needs and price swings are hard to predict. Don't buy a huge, expensive drive when you don't need the space right now.

My pc originally only had a 80GB drive which I used for everything. Now that I've started to collect more movies etc, I've added two extra 250GB drives. The 80GB I now only use for installed stuff, but it's easily big enough for that. I you don't plan on archiving files, even just a small+fast hd such as a Raptor will do. However, it doesn't make much sense to buy a 120GB or so drive when a 250 one isn't much more. Truly fast drives such as Raptors are usually seen as unnecessary though, and modern large drives are about as fast.

CHEESE-kun
May 20, 2004

by Peatpot

Frisbee posted:

Well, not quite that. The problem is that the laptop sucks really. What I want to do is use the laptop's screen and keyboard and the PC's RAM and video card and all whatnot. I basically want to use my PC laying down in bed. :ninja: Is that possible?

Nope. The closest thing is VNC or Remote desktop, and that won't do games. Getting a laptop screen to work with a normal pc is a no-go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHEESE-kun
May 20, 2004

by Peatpot

Femtosecond posted:

I recently built my own computer and while the sleep function worked at first, now it suddenly doesn't at all. If I click the sleep button in windows, the screen will go black and such, but the computer never seems to go to sleep and the fans keep going. I'm wondering if while messing around with BIOS stuff I turned off something I shouldn't have by accident? I noticed there seem to be some power saving options that are all disabled, but I have no idea what they are because they're just acronyms. Could this be the problem? What should I have with these options?

Try looking for a setting to switch from S1 to S3 standby.

• Locked thread