Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I'm looking for a nice watercooling setup for my E6600 to go in my P180. I plan to only have my cpu cooled and get a quieter fan for my graphics card. I'm in this mainly for noise reduction. I have the 3 120mm fans all set on low and I can still hear it in the next room over. Recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Zorilla posted:

Weird. I have a P180 and the house can get pretty drat quiet. I can still barely hear the case fans when I'm in the room, much less outside. If it weren't for the fan noise issue, I would just recommend the Scythe Ninja cooler, as it wouldn't add any more fans to the system. It fits the P180 like a glove.

I'm not sure how hell the E6600 does fanless compared to my Venice 3200+, which works very well that way. I guess you could move one of the case fans and clip it to the heatsink for more direct airflow.

I'm a putz and neglected to mention that most of the noise is coming from my loud CPU fan and not the big ones that came with the case. I guess I could just spend a few bucks on a quieter fan instead of a $200 accident waiting to happen

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Zorilla posted:

In that case, I would definitely recommend that cooler I mentioned:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835185001

Out of stock now, but there are plenty of places that sell it. I think I bought mine cheaper because it didn't come with a fan, though.

Cool, thanks. I'll be ordering from them in the next week or so, hopefully it'll be in stock.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Frisbee posted:

Okay, this might be a stupid question. I have a decent PC and a crappy laptop. Is there any way to use the laptops screen and keyboard to play the PC? I know that you can buy a cord that will let you forward your PC's monitor to a TV, would it work for forwarding a monitor to a laptop's screen? I don't know what to do about the keyboard though

Is this a really unfeasable idea or is there an easy way to pull it off?

You want to control your PC through your laptop?

I used to do this with a program called RealVNC http://www.realvnc.com/

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Xanar posted:

I just picked up a Zalman heatsink which was on sale and I am currently using the stock AMD heatsink.
From the installation video, it looks like I'll have to use the thermal grease that comes with the Zalman heatsink. I noticed that when I installed the stock AMD heatsink, it already came with some thermal grease already on the bottom. Is there any particular way to remove this before applying a new layer of thermal grease? Water doesn't sound like a safe option.

I always use something alcohol-based like denatured alcohol and a q-tip and it works great. I think I have also used rubbing alcohol and zippo fluid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I think it's kosher to ask this here...

Does anybody remember which goon works for Mushkin? I remember reading about someone in one of the long core 2 duo threads but I cannot for the life of me find who it is.

• Locked thread