Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I don't know anything about computers, so I might be posting this in the wrong thread, and if so I apologize. It's about something that would be purchased in the computer hardware department of Best Buy, if it exists.... ?

We have a little home network with our DSL. Both of our regular computers are in the main room of the apartment, and each is hooked up to the little 2wire Gateway thing SBC sent us when we signed up for internet service. We also have my old computer in the bedroom, where we want to be able to get online with it once in a while because we tend to sit in the bed talking late at night and get onto a topic we want to research, without having to go out into the living room in the dark. But I don't know how to get this computer onto the internet. It has an ethernet card in it, the kind with the giant jack for big old cables. But we're not wired for that kind of cable. And it's not really feasible to get a really long cable and staple it to the ceiling through the entire apartment to connect the computer directly to the gateway. Is there anything that would let me plug the computer straight into the phone lines and use the DSL that way? Some kind of adapter, or a special card, or something? Or would I need a whole new gateway for the bedroom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread