Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
treestump
Dec 20, 2004
what was David Coverdale to do?

peniscurve posted:

Here is a dumbass question.

If the motherboard has something like "DDR2 Standard DDR2 800" listed in its specs, does that mean I have to buy DDR2 800?

Also if I buy the corsair value ram, and it isn't ddr2 800, will it make a huge difference?

You will need DDR2 of some kind. That just means that the fastest ram it can take is DDR2 800. Anything higher will throttle back, anything lower will just be slower (though only marginally).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treestump
Dec 20, 2004

Arkkon posted:

Now I have a great mobo and great RAM, but am hesitant to combine the two. My question is this: Am I completely screwed, or will the mobo, fancy as it is, throttle the speed of the RAM down and only use it at 667Mhz?

Most/all motherboards will do this automatically. You should be fine.

treestump
Dec 20, 2004

Botchness posted:

If i have 1 SATA hard drive at 10,000 rpm, and a different SATA drive at 7,200 rpm. Will the 10,000 be bogged down by the slower drive if i'm not using files off the 7200. Say the 7200 is my storage while my 10000 is my boot/program drive, would it default down to the slower speed? I remember this being the issue with IDE drives, i'm not that learneded with SATA.

Drive speed, as far as I'm aware, is completely independent of other drives in a system, unless they are in some sort of disk array.

• Locked thread