Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaiyoko
Jan 6, 2005
The Pink Pansy
I won a 8800GT from nVidia/BFG after filling out a survey and doing a interview at the nVidia Geforce LAN 4.0 a few weeks ago. This made my day, but slightly ruined by the fact that I have a AGP system and I will need a new power supply and motherboard. Luckily I am using a AMD s939 system, so finding a PCI-E motherboard shouldn't be hard, but its been 2 years since I've seriously touch-based with the motherboard and CPU market.

Can I get a recommendation on a s939 motherboard with PCI-E support, and in decent supply? I do plan to just overhaul, but I am itching to just use the sucker, even though it'll be CPU-bottlenecked.

What bothered me the most though, "PCI-Express 2.0" on the box. Will I need a motherboard that has a PCI-E 2.0 standard slot, or can I use it in just about any motherboard out there that has PCI-E?

To those curious, I am looking at a Corsair PSU of some sort, since i've heard good things about them and they are within my immediate price range I can get first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiyoko
Jan 6, 2005
The Pink Pansy

Toiletbrush posted:

What does everyone think about Kingston memory quality-wise?

A friend of mine has Kingston HyperX DDR1 ram for his old AMD s939 system and its doing fine. I myself am using Kingston DDR2 ram, but just the regular generic versions and I'm doing fine on my current system (Intel Q6600, Gigabyte P35-DS3P, 2GB of said ram). I think they're a good company that are being overshadowed by the other, popular RAM makers (OCZ, Crucial, Corsair, Geil, etc). I'm yet to hear of bad Kingston ram, but your experience might vary.

Kaiyoko
Jan 6, 2005
The Pink Pansy
From my experiences, its usually not a safe practice to mix RAM brands, am I right? I'm noticing DDR2 prices just keep falling and I'm tempted to add more to go to 4GB of RAM, but I am currently using two sticks of basic Kingston RAM.

Is it safe to throw in some Corsair RAM that happens to be on sale and be fine, granted the RAM timings will go with the ones that are the highest (Kingston in this case), or should I just invest into a 2x2GB ram kit while it is cheap?

• Locked thread