Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z-Bo
Jul 2, 2005
more like z-butt
From Hearn&Baker's Computer Graphics with OpenGL, they pose a hardware comprehension question that threw me for a loop:

2-9 Suppose we have a video monitor with a display area that measures 12 inches across and 9.6 inches high. If the resolution is 1280 by 1024 and the aspect ratio is 1, what is the diameter of each screen point?

I thought about this question way longer than I probably should have. Basically, what hung me up was the phrase "aspect ratio is 1." I assume they are referring to the pixel aspect ratio, instead of the display aspect ratio. In which case the formula for the answer would be

12 = 1280x

right?

However, as a friend pointed out, how can this question be truly answered without knowing details about the pixel geometry and dot pitch?

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z-Bo
Jul 2, 2005
more like z-butt

Zorilla posted:

I'm trying to think of what your exact question is. Tell me if I'm missing it. Be more concerned about the monitor's aspect ratio. If the monitor is a 5:4 LCD, 1280x1024 will yield perfect square pixels. On 4:3 monitors, 1280x960 will likewise yield perfect square pixels.

In your case, 12" x 9.6" is 5:4 exactly, so you will have 1:1 pixels at 1280x1024. How is dot pitch measured on LCD screens? Length of a single side of the pixel square (I'm guessing this doesn't differ from a diameter of a square)? If so, my guess is that would yield a dot pitch of 0.009375" (1/1280th of 12"), or ~0.24mm

The question does not say what kind of display device the video monitor is. I don't understand why I should "be more concerned about the monitor's aspect ratio", though. If anything, that is what slowed me down when thinking about this problem. I kept thinking, "The aspect ratio of this monitor is 5:4, not 1:1." Then after about four hours I realized they were talking about pixel aspect ratio instead of display aspect ratio. Lame, I know, but I just wasn't making the connection. I began thinking, "Maybe there is an exception to aspect ratios I don't know about." Haha.. I know.. call me a retard.

0.009375" is also what I determined the answer to be (12=1280x). However, I was just wondering if the answer to this question was truly determinable and if people agreed the question was not worded well :)

Z-Bo
Jul 2, 2005
more like z-butt

Zorilla posted:

It's probably one of those things you need to trust your instincts on. If it's 5:4, it's got to be an LCD screen, whose dimensions have to do with viewable area and exclude bezel thickness, so you can assume the 12" x 9.6" measurements have to do with the screen itself.

Heh, trust my instincts... :) Hardware stuff is not instinctual to me :) Thanks for the explanation as to your thinking, though. However, someone told me it is probably not an LCD screen because LCD pixels are are rectangular and therefore would not have a pixel aspect ratio of 1?

• Locked thread