Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Is there anything keeping you from updating your BIOS? A quick Google reveals that there are plenty of newer BIOS's for you to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Does anyone have any good recommendations for external drive enclosures? Ideally I'd like PATA and SATA connectors, something that's not to difficult to get the drive in, and holds the drive snugly inside. Looking at the specifications and reviews on Newegg, this seems like a good one. Does anyone here have any experience with it or have any better suggestions?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

There's this one on Newegg, but it's got pretty lovely reviews so I'd stay away. Can't find any others, but there may be one out there if you look hard enough.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

DiscoSkinhead posted:

I use this enclosure, which has worked great for me, aside from the fact that the factory forgot to include screws to hold the thing closed with. A quick trip to the hardware store solved that problem, though. It's PATA only, which may not be what you're looking for.

Thanks, but yeah I'd like to be able to hook up SATA drives as well. Anyone else?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

If you live in the USA, you can go to Newegg and sort to Socket 775 and then sort by price and it'll bring up some Celerons.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

surrender posted:

I never had one with similar specs, I went from an Athlon Thunderbird to a first-gen Intel Core Duo iMac to a Penryn laptop :haw:

I'm just going the NAS route and hoping that my parents will actually use it

An old Pentium D(?) being used as a NAS that you "hope" your parents will use is going to end up being nothing more than a space heater. Those things run hotter than current CPUs comparing idle to idle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

If you're linking with [img] tags you need to use the .jpg extension. Looks like you figured it out ;)

If you're not having any issues in games that's most likely just the 2D clocks that are used to keep temps and power usage down

• Locked thread