Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
I'm not quite sure if this is what the title means by a hardware question, but here goes.

my friend spilled pop on my laptop keyboard about 2 hours ago, and it will not turn back on now. The caps/num lock lights turn on, wait a second, then turn off. Will this end up like my monitor that had something similar happen and fix itself after a day to dry up, or am I hosed?

Edit: Yay! took 12 hours, but everything seems to be back to normal. 2 hours ago I had some video artifacts, but that doesn't seem to be happening anymore. I might open 'er up and check the video card later just to be sure.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 19, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

I, at the height of my stupidity, spilled Dr. Pepper all over my laptop.

After painstakingly taking it apart, cleaning it, and rebuilding it, and letting it sit for a while, it now works, except for one problem.

The computer will no longer accept a charge from the power supply.

However, it will accept a charge from the battery, and the adapter slowly charges the battery, except based on initial tests I do not believe that the adapter charges the battery while the computer is off.

At the current rate, the battery is losing about 1% of charge an hour while plugged in.

If I remove the battery, the laptop will not turn on at all.

I have tried using a different power adapter, with the same results.

Question is, is this something that can be solved by cleaning something that I may have missed? Is there any hope for me? If not, what part do I need to replace?

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

MrBuddyLee posted:

Hey, figured I'd try this thread first for help with a video card meltdown.

The fan died on my GeForce 8600. I figured it out when I started seeing artifacts while playing WoW. (Little dots and lines around the cursor and eventually freezing the video even though the keys still worked in the game the picture stayed static.)

Now I have a strong fan blowing directly into the case and the GPU core reads low temp but the artifacts still come after a bit. I'm thinking my card's fried.

I got the PC from Dell 1.5 yrs ago. I called them and the guy said my one year warranty's up. But I read somewhere that NVidia's cards have lifetime guarantees, and I was wondering if anyone knew what the best way would be for me to get a (free) replacement. Thanks!

I had the exact same problem on my 8500. If you feel comfortable doing so, seeing as your warranty is up, if you open the computer up and clean all the dust out you should get more life out of it. Doing this I've had my computer for 3-4 years. Although, now I've gone and ruined that by spilling pop on it...

• Locked thread