Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Y45 posted:

Metal has dropped me here.

Get yer minds offa aluminum, that is terrible armor.

By Kong, my head is starting to ache.....

Metal will save you, save you all.

Iron at the very least. The Pink Bunny Tunnel awaits all those that threw their lot in with recyclable materials.

Come now, ye with the Ytterbium, ye with metals that do not measure upon the periodic table. Our nuclear weight will be what we throw at them. GO!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I'm really confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

fishmech posted:

Not always. Mine doesn't.

If you've ever used it without putting in your PIN, then it does. The card readers in stores usually default to debit if you don't choose, though; that way stores save money because they don't have to pay credit card fees. Try hitting cancel next time the card reader asks for your PIN.

As a drive-through cashier, I run all cards through as credit unless asked, and 99.99% of them work as credit, logo or no. Even the "Farmer's Bank of Bumfuck, Kansas" ones.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

Not always. Mine doesn't.

It's supposed to, because that's the whole reason that credit card companies started issuing debit cards in the first place, so that your ATM card would work in places that weren't set up for direct debit transactions. Lots of places can do either so it doesn't really matter now, but if the card says Visa on it then it should be ok to use even somewhere that still does carbon impressions for credit cards.

withak fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 1, 2006

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Eris Is Goddess posted:

Perhaps your graphic drivers are corrupted? Do you get any other graphical artifacts?

None whatsoever, and I throw a variety of games at it. My system's also rock-stable, so I doubt there's any driver bugginess.

I'll test on another computer when I am at uni, and see if it's limited to my computer or my account (if the latter, then I'm absolutely baffled).

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006
whats a fyad :(
Is there a place where I can look up all of the different emoticons and what letters I need to use to post them?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

blista compact posted:

Is there a place where I can look up all of the different emoticons and what letters I need to use to post them?

Left-hand side of the reply page has a link.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!
With HTML allowed in custom titles, can I use all the font attributes available, like face, color, and size?

Irish Revenge
May 22, 2004

I AM A GIANT FAGGOT THAT LIKES TO PRETEND I AM AN ADMIN. I LITERALLY SUCK COCK! GLUCK GLUCK I AM SUCKING COCK NOW BECAUSE I AM SUCH A FAGGOT!!!! IF I AM POSTING PLEASE TELL ME TO SUCK SO MUCH COCK I DIE BECAUSE I AM WORTHLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beaver Patrol posted:

Is there going to be a replacement for Mayor Wilkins?

WHat happened to him? I just noticed he hasn't posted in months and is no longer an admin. SACyclopedia and search tell me nothing

raven77
Jan 28, 2006

Nevermore.

Spooksmcgee posted:

WHat happened to him? I just noticed he hasn't posted in months and is no longer an admin. SACyclopedia and search tell me nothing

I remember a post from him regarding that question saying that he just didn't want to be an admin anymore, so he asked to be de-adminned. No big drama, I guess he just got burned out on it.

j4cbo
Nov 1, 2004
huh?

baldurk posted:

As far as I know, waffleimages blocks by referrers - only blank, and SA referrers will be allowed. Some firewalls block referrers completely, ie they're missing, which waffleimages doesn't allow. Check your settings for that.

It's OK if the header is missing, but it'll deny if the referer is XXX or LOLDENIED or something like that.

Hardcore Sax
Oct 11, 2004

i am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet i do not accept finity
Is there a list somewhere of non-mods that have had the most custom titles?

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Maybe I missed something, but no emoticons work for me. Is this true for the whole board, or is there something I need to change?

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

monsieur fatso posted:

Maybe I missed something, but no emoticons work for me. Is this true for the whole board, or is there something I need to change?

Go to the control panel and change your user settings (using "edit options") back to whatever they were. It is an unintended byproduct of some other software changes.

kizzash
Nov 19, 2005
Why is it that I have to sign in every time I go to something awful even though my options say it will be done automatically?

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

kizzash posted:

Why is it that I have to sign in every time I go to something awful even though my options say it will be done automatically?

Sounds to me like you have your browser set to clear some/all of your cookies, or just to not set them in the first place.

Firefox: Tools>Options>Privacy>Cookies
IE: Tools>Internet Options>Privacy
Any other browser: Hell if I know. Should be pretty similar to those.

Play around with those options for a bit and see if that helps.

Hinge
May 3, 2006

Top Dog.
Has the little italic text underneath a message, denoting when it has been edited, been turned off? I can see some cases recently where the original has clearly been altered (Future quoting), but no message appears underneath.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hinge posted:

Has the little italic text underneath a message, denoting when it has been edited, been turned off? I can see some cases recently where the original has clearly been altered (Future quoting), but no message appears underneath.
It doesn't appear until a minute or two after the message is first posted.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hinge posted:

Two minutes of stealth or :ninja: editing are available before the Edit message appears.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

WillieWestwood posted:

With HTML allowed in custom titles, can I use all the font attributes available, like face, color, and size?
In my title, I was able to use font color and bold. With all the big custom red titles I see, I'm guessing size is good too.

Font Face, I don't know, but since all those other attributes are okay, t'd be a safe bet to assume that it would work too.

Human Head
Jun 28, 2006

Liface posted:

What is the status on Post Your Favorite? I've seen a couple threads in GBS recently that were just low-content crap that used to be posted in PYF, but they never got moved.

PYF is still full of the same low-content crap (I should know, I tend to reply to something there every couple of days).

I have noticed that the PYF threads in GBS tend to be defended by their creator with "What? But I made this post your favourite Flash Game/Song/Sleeping Aid/Coffee thread, so it's obviously got much wider appeal that something started by one of those PYF losers".

So, PYF is as alive and well as it ever was; but as PYF was created to make a home for those very threads I for one would welcome them being confined to there rather than diluting the usually high quality of GBS.

BaseballChica03
Jan 12, 2006

monsieur fatso posted:

They're not working for me, either, and I came here to ask that question. I checked my settings, and when I reply to or post a message, it says that Smilies are ON. So, I would like to know as well. All other vB code seems to be working ok.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

BaseballChica03 posted:

They're not working for me, either, and I came here to ask that question. I checked my settings, and when I reply to or post a message, it says that Smilies are ON. So, I would like to know as well. All other vB code seems to be working ok.

Read more carefully. :eng101:

edit: The option in the control panel is to hide smilies, so if you want to see them then you should set that option to "off".

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Vyze posted:

In my title, I was able to use font color and bold. With all the big custom red titles I see, I'm guessing size is good too.

Font Face, I don't know, but since all those other attributes are okay, t'd be a safe bet to assume that it would work too.
Color, size, and face should all work fine.

Human Head posted:

So, PYF is as alive and well as it ever was; but as PYF was created to make a home for those very threads I for one would welcome them being confined to there rather than diluting the usually high quality of GBS.
If I see a thread that is obviously more appropriate for PYF, I usually move it there. We can't catch them all, though, and some stick around in GBS because they're a tad too discussion-y for PYF.

toby fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 2, 2006

BaseballChica03
Jan 12, 2006

withak posted:

Read more carefully. :eng101:

edit: The option in the control panel is to hide smilies, so if you want to see them then you should set that option to "off".

Not the way I see it. Edit: I should say, it's always said ON before. I never made any changes to my settings, but one day I just couldn't see them all of a sudden.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

BaseballChica03 posted:

Not the way I see it.

That says that smilies are enabled for that particular forum. If you don't see smilies in posts then you need to not hide them via the option in your control panel.

withak fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 2, 2006

raven77
Jan 28, 2006

Nevermore.

BaseballChica03 posted:

Not the way I see it. Edit: I should say, it's always said ON before. I never made any changes to my settings, but one day I just couldn't see them all of a sudden.

You're looking in the wrong place. When Radium made some changes/updates to the forums last week, he had a sticky note in every forum, telling people to check their settings because some of them didn't remain how you'd set them. Go to User Control Panel, click on Edit Options, scroll to
"Hide smilie images in posts?" and set it to no, which will enable smilies.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

These guys are right, BaseballChica. A lot of people had smilies turned "off" when radium did some tinkering.

Even if you don't really notice any differences I'd still advise people to check their forum options to make sure things are intact. I had my PMs turn off on me twice during that time and didn't realize it the second time for a while! :(

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Who changed the font on BYOB? This may have been answered there but things are moving fast and I think shividas got a bit tired of threads about it =P I'm just curious what prompted the change and if it's ever going to revert.

BaseballChica03
Jan 12, 2006

Ah, thanks. I was looking in the wrong place.

galumphing lummox
Aug 30, 2006

Why does homophobia get a free pass on the forums? I see people getting banned for racist or misogynistic comments alot, which is good. But there seems to be a lot of homophobic talk that gets ignored -- "emo fag," "fag up the thread," etc. Why is this? I've really liked the forums in the short time I've been a member here, but this is something that's sat uneasily with me.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

leefy greans posted:

Why does homophobia get a free pass on the forums? I see people getting banned for racist or misogynistic comments alot, which is good. But there seems to be a lot of homophobic talk that gets ignored -- "emo fag," "fag up the thread," etc. Why is this? I've really liked the forums in the short time I've been a member here, but this is something that's sat uneasily with me.

"Fag" is considered less of a homophobic term and more of a generic insult, due to overuse.

At least that's my take on it.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

m2pt5 posted:

"Fag" is considered less of a homophobic term and more of a generic insult, due to overuse.

At least that's my take on it.

Kind of. I realize that's unfair. When there's someone who is posting some more "serious" (I realize that's in the eye of the beholder) homophobic poo poo we try to go after them.

If you think that the way in which it's being used it something that's pretty offensive, report it and we'll try to go from there. We certainly don't think homophobia is less worthy of punishment than racism or sexism. I don't think we'd punish for saying "emo fag" unless someone was flaming another user for no reason but there are other instances where it may be probationable. Personally I don't like it either when someone relies upon it as an insult for someone else but we haven't really punished a heck of a lot for that in particular yet.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is this intentional or did I stumble upon an interesting coincidence?

Edit: Is it worth thumbnailing that pic?

binary_hero
Oct 10, 2004

by Lowtax

Hammer Floyd posted:

Is this intentional or did I stumble upon an interesting coincidence?

Edit: Is it worth thumbnailing that pic?

Coincidence and no (just - that's 738px wide)

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wahey! Haus of Tech Support is 1337 for the time being.

We can be heroes...
Just for one day...

Hinge
May 3, 2006

Top Dog.

Hinge posted:

Just as a follow up on this, see this thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=315975275

Clearly the OP has edited over five hours after making the first post, yet no italic text. has anyone actually seen the edit text on a recent post, and can link me to it?

I probably sound like I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, but I'm just curious.

EDIT-Appears this is a SALR "Feature" if you tell it to disable user signatures. Presumably looks for anything below the post and hides it. Mystery solved.

Hinge fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 3, 2006

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

Ozma posted:

Kind of. I realize that's unfair. When there's someone who is posting some more "serious" (I realize that's in the eye of the beholder) homophobic poo poo we try to go after them.

The greatest explanation I've ever read on this issue compared the use of "fag" here to "stop" in telegrams. Can't for the life of me remember what thread it was in, but that summed it up perfectly to my silly brain.

Edit: Oh, and the whole "sir" --> "fag" filter in GBS some time ago ;)

Halah fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 4, 2006

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Last stupid question from me.

What's the deal with all these "4 8 15 16 23 42" numbers? I've seen them around the forums but I have no idea what they mean.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Lost. Those are the numbers from Lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Halah posted:

The greatest explanation I've ever read on this issue compared the use of "fag" here to "stop" in telegrams. Can't for the life of me remember what thread it was in, but that summed it up perfectly to my silly brain.