Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:raise: I cant place that bike. What is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:raise: I cant place that bike. What is it?

Honda CBF, can't tell if it's the 500 or the 1000.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ah, thats why I cant place it, it doesnt exist in the US :(

Butt Swartzky
May 20, 2001

Haha, saw this pop up on a friend's Instagram. Guess it's all in the spirit, just hope he has a full tank of gas when those start flying off.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Motsew posted:

Here's some video of Anstey's highside at 3:05 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejZqhamTixQ

I wish the camera followed the bike that rides off on it's own.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I've seen that raised left fist pretty often for anything from "serious debris in road" to "I'm pitting in", what's it actually stand for?

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

M42 posted:

I've seen that raised left fist pretty often for anything from "serious debris in road" to "I'm pitting in", what's it actually stand for?

I'm pulling off the racing line/pitting or acknowledgement of a flag

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

petercodeine posted:

Haha, saw this pop up on a friend's Instagram. Guess it's all in the spirit, just hope he has a full tank of gas when those start flying off.

It looks like he's cut out each line individually and taped it on separately, which is kind of dumb, but taping directions to your tank is common enough.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
This is how I go on road trips.

I really need a gps or something though, constantly looking into my lap doesn't feel very safe

Butt Swartzky
May 20, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

It looks like he's cut out each line individually and taped it on separately, which is kind of dumb, but taping directions to your tank is common enough.

I didn't notice that. Perhaps it's so they can be reversed on the way back :downs:

He'll probably have to redo that, though. He's headed to Michigan from Carrboro, NC...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Even if you have a GPS, you should always have a physical map with you any time you're going to an unknown area. Go to the AAA and get one for $8.95 and stick it under your seat so it's always there. And if you want to be really well prepared, get a proper orienteering compass ($10-$25 -- I have this one and it's lovely) and learn how to use it. Batteries die and electronics break, and if you're using your phone, the data connection could get lost. Maps always work.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah I have a small collection of foldable road atlases that I get at the first gas stops across state lines. But that dude needs to work on his shorthand. I got to Texas and back to Washington using shorthand directions written morning-of, on motel stationary, stuffed in my tank purse's map pocket.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

This is cool, and thank you adary for the link. I'm going to have to take the baby seat with the babydoll off the back of my bike. It will be overkill with the LEGOface.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Those of you looking for a basic gps system/maps should look at the Nokia 520/521 phones. I regularly see them on sale for $50-$60. You don't necessarily need to add service to them, one great feature of Nokia's maps program is you can download the maps to the phone so they can be used when outside data coverage. They aren't super detailed maps, but are good enough to get you from A to B. Of course it has all the other features of a smartphone, so you have an Mp3 player, web browser for Wi-Fi connections, something to keep notes, etc etc. Nokia phones also have very good cameras. Nice features for the price.

grunthaas
Mar 4, 2003

Another cheap GPS option is an old android phone and OSMand, there's a free version (but the paid one only is £5) and it will download the open street maps data. It'll do navigation if you want but as a moving map its great. I've got an old droid RAZR that I've stuck to an eBay garmin GPS mount and its been great for several trips around Europe so far.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I used Maps.me this weekend it's free and uses downloadable maps so no data needed.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Even if you have a GPS, you should always have a physical map with you any time you're going to an unknown area. Go to the AAA and get one for $8.95 and stick it under your seat so it's always there. And if you want to be really well prepared, get a proper orienteering compass ($10-$25 -- I have this one and it's lovely) and learn how to use it. Batteries die and electronics break, and if you're using your phone, the data connection could get lost. Maps always work.

gently caress yea, maps rule and everyone should learn to read them; it's rapidly becoming a dying thing like handwriting. Maps are becoming my go-to souvenier when I'm on the road/vacation; I don't really want an overpriced shot glass or the like but maps are cheap, and it usually comes in handy later at home when you go "what was the name of that town?.... Plus it's kind of cool in a returning-sometime-in-the-future way.

I got my girlfriend one of those Suuntos for her birthday last year and am teaching her how to use it in combination with a good topo map. She really starting loving it when we used it last camping trip in identifying a peak - we thought it was the summit peak of the range we were in, but weren't sure so I said "Well, let's check the map!". Funnily enough, when we located it on the topo it was named "Mount Disappointment" and hides the summit from the trail, so we weren't the only ones to misidentify it at first:downs:

420 read maps everyday

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ah, thats why I cant place it, it doesnt exist in the US :(

Er, what? We get both of those:
http://powersports.honda.com/2014/cb500f.aspx?forcedesktop=true

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/cb1000r.aspx?forcedesktop=true

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ha, shows how much I've been keeping up with non grom related honda news

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Amazing fit/finish, build quality, and material choices on the 500R, and it surely applies to the other variants. It's like they resurrected Deming or something.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If you're looking for Android navigation, Sygic are having a sale at the moment. North America for $28, Europe $35, world for $56. Lifetime map updates.

https://www.sygic.com/en/android:buy-now

Works really well, I like using the phone's portrait orientation better than Garmin's landscape, the voice guiding is good, it can pause or duck music playing from another app, animations are smooth. Not sure about custom routes and import/export, haven't had the need. It's very easy to find stuff and set waypoints anyway.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Once you get used to Google Maps or one of the better competitors, with turn-by-turn directions and rapid route recalculation, piped straight to your ear via headphones or bluetooth, you'll never want to bother with a paper direction list again.

Also we've had this argument before, but if you are in such the butthole of nowhere that your phone is dying sans signal, you're quite unlikely to find landmarks enough to orient yourself on an unfamiliar paper roadmap, or any map at all if you're not some mix of Eagle Scout and Marine Recon. On the other hand, an older Garmin or TomTom can be had for so damned cheap you might as well carry a spare.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
OK kids, time once again for Juxtapose Fantasy and Reality. Today's subject: Motorcycles of the Detroit Police Department.

Ixnay on the bankruptcy jokes and my terrible on the fly composition.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

Also we've had this argument before, but if you are in such the butthole of nowhere that your phone is dying sans signal, you're quite unlikely to find landmarks enough to orient yourself on an unfamiliar paper roadmap, or any map at all if you're not some mix of Eagle Scout and Marine Recon.

Just FYI you can teach an eleven-year-old how to find his location in unfamiliar terrain with a topographical map and compass, and how to use that to navigate his way through the wild to a target. I know this because that's how old I was when I learned to do it in the Boy Scouts. It's not rocket science or voodoo, though it is a bit of a dying art. Kind of like using ropes to tie things down instead of bungee cords; I remember going on a trip a year or so ago with some friends and really impressing them with dumb easy stuff like trucker's hitches and basic lashings.

I see your point, though.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 3, 2014

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Marv Hushman posted:

OK kids, time once again for Juxtapose Fantasy and Reality. Today's subject: Motorcycles of the Detroit Police Department.

Ixnay on the bankruptcy jokes and my terrible on the fly composition.

I live here and I can't recall ever seeing a motorcycle cop. They must just drive around Campus Martius.

E: motorcycle picture:

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 3, 2014

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
My friend was at TWS this weekend doing the licensing class to race with CMRA, and told me about this accident that happened in turn 7(?) aka the "Gravity Bowl". I'm told both got out without life threatening injuries, but bones were broken. I believe it was the first track day for the rider on the red Honda. My understanding is she came up fast on the camera going into this turn, level 1 does not allow any inside passing, so she braked suddenly, the rider behind her was not prepared and you can see the rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEKYcpQmTxI

I'd heard through a second hand account that the red bike wound up landing on the first rider down, and he suffered a broken pelvis, femur, and ulna.

Be careful around less experienced riders, y'all.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

Once you get used to Google Maps or one of the better competitors, with turn-by-turn directions and rapid route recalculation, piped straight to your ear via headphones or bluetooth, you'll never want to bother with a paper direction list again.

Also we've had this argument before, but if you are in such the butthole of nowhere that your phone is dying sans signal, you're quite unlikely to find landmarks enough to orient yourself on an unfamiliar paper roadmap, or any map at all if you're not some mix of Eagle Scout and Marine Recon. On the other hand, an older Garmin or TomTom can be had for so damned cheap you might as well carry a spare.

disagree, even the roads in Kent are signed.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Sucks about the wreck but I got a laugh out of this pic.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

Linedance posted:

disagree, even the roads in Kent are signed.

Are you talking about Kent, England or Kent, Canada? Kent, England is hardly out in the sticks. I found France pretty poor at signing roads, mostly in the cities though.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Did my first track day ever! Went to Thompson Speedway in CT and did a Penguin racing school track day experience. Had a blast!

I'm sure there are a million things I'm doing wrong in this video, but I had fun anyway :)

http://youtu.be/yEwIDotwGzc

tjones
May 13, 2005

Legdiian posted:

Did my first track day ever! Went to Thompson Speedway in CT and did a Penguin racing school track day experience. Had a blast!

I'm sure there are a million things I'm doing wrong in this video, but I had fun anyway :)

You look a little crossed up. Great looking bike, makes me wish I could have found a red one when I bought mine.

Butt Swartzky
May 20, 2001

That bike looks fantastic

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Snowdens Secret posted:

Paper maps are fine. Phone stuff can be fine but I have never bothered to learn how to lay in a specific route onto my phone instead of whatever the phone thinks is the most efficient route. I find I learn an area much better if I'm following a paper map instead of listening to directions on a GPS. I find a GPS is best for finding a specific address but paper maps are great for planning/getting from town to town or landmark to landmark.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

Legdiian posted:

Those leathers are great.

Supple Moisture
Sep 11, 2009

TH3 TROLL W1TH NO F34R
The whole movie is pretty funny, but this clip made me go bananas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXGJX0ImDOM&t=439s

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mister Duck posted:

Those leathers are hilarious.

FTFY. Why did you have to rent them? Do they not allow two-piece gear that zips together or whatever?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
They did allow a two-piece that zips together, but I didn't have that either. I wear a jacket and riding reinforced jean looking things on the street. They also told me my AXO Nine to Five ankle boots would be just fine... I ended up having to tape my suit to my boots to ensure no skin was showing. The suit was easily the worst part of my day. I was pretty excited to check out the photos that a local dude was displaying/selling at the track until I saw what I actually looked like. I looked like a serial killer garbage truck driver who stole a bike and took it to a race track.

I had a great time otherwise and I think I'm hooked. I'll be back next year with a track bike that I'm not terrified of laying down and my own suit. I'll post the hilarious pictures of me on the track when they arrive.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Legdiian posted:

I looked like a serial killer garbage truck driver who stole a bike and took it to a race track.

Post them pics

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

n8r posted:

Paper maps are fine. Phone stuff can be fine but I have never bothered to learn how to lay in a specific route onto my phone instead of whatever the phone thinks is the most efficient route. I find I learn an area much better if I'm following a paper map instead of listening to directions on a GPS. I find a GPS is best for finding a specific address but paper maps are great for planning/getting from town to town or landmark to landmark.

The advantages of a paper map are not lost on a GPS. I find listening to directions can be distracting and the routing can be at odds with my purpose. In that case, I use it as just a map and ride without watching it on memorised directions. Digital maps are better at being maps than paper maps, simply because the entire world in high detail fits into your pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ArcticZombie posted:

Are you talking about Kent, England or Kent, Canada? Kent, England is hardly out in the sticks. I found France pretty poor at signing roads, mostly in the cities though.

Kent, England. I barely get signal on the motorway down there, let alone the deepest darkest. That could just be because O2 is crap though.