Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I always thought that they got into racing because they initially liked riding on the street. Surprises me a lot that not all of them ride on the street. I suppose it wouldn't be anywhere near as exhilarating as racing at the speeds they do.

Maybe they just want to keep their licenses. I don't think I could tolerate street speeds if I was used to going 280km/h on a bike all the time. I'd probably lose points every time I hopped on the bike :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I wonder why they didn't put the exhausts together.

Also, that bike is HUGE on whoever that is.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Pedrobot and it's a V configuration so the exhausts are separated to keep exhaust length equal.

Hmm, interesting, thanks.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

What could you possibly need a tyre that big for except possibly drag racing?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Ziploc posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAh_39Zkjf0

Wow.

I didn't even know that was really possible.

wow.

The hell did he say?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Open ya bloodclot ears!!!!

I replayed it 3 times to try and hear it :gonk:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Motorcycle safety book is really terrifying at times

street astronauts

i don't even

WOOF :ohdear:

jesus christ

Can you link to the pdf that's in?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Xovaan posted:

I believe it's this link:

http://msf-usa.org/downloads/Street_Motorcycle_Tips_2010.pdf

But I can't remember off-hand. Had them from a while ago when I was studying for the course and forgot to post them.

Thanks, good read, I love this stuff :)

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Pick the guy with the motoX experience.

(Also, god-drat how does he sit with nads that big?)

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

yeah can someone please explain why the exhaust is facing the wrong way?

also...
http://silodrome.com/honda-vf1000r/

This is everything I've ever wanted.

Hmm.. Dad has a VF1000.. hmmm... where would one go about getting that sort of 'kit' for it?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

...how much does being a larger person effect the handling of the bike? I mean, there's no way in the world you could lean it properly .. is there?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Z3n posted:

The biggest issue will be how the suspension is basically bottomed the entire time. Performance is much more limited by the rider than weight. The videos of the goldwings ripping up deals gap show that nicely.

With properly sprung suspension, it'd be just fine.

Interesting, and I hadn't thought about goldwings and such. Thanks. I don't know any overweight riders personally so it's not really anything I'd thought of before now.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

That's pretty much how I imagine my 1st wheelie attempt going :(

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

TheDon01 posted:

What the gently caress? :staredog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOX8G2HNNDo

LOL

It would not surprise me if some of the yobbos around here do that as well.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I will admit I tried to cut the tire off a 5.5" wheel, ending with cutting a little slot in the bead area of the wheel by accident. :suicide:
That said, I no longer operate angle grinders or work on bikes while drunk anymore.

:ughh:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

mootmoot posted:

Point to me where I said I like it TIA.

My point is that it's not immediately dumb because it't not to your taste or within CA parameters of acceptability. Someone's put a lot of effort into styleising that to his/her taste and I promise you, loves the bike for it.

Didn't you just get banned?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

front wing flexing posted:

That's a suzuki savage ls-650 under there in case anyone was wondering. I just bobbed on myself because my neighbor had it laying around in pieces (mismatched color at that) and it was easier and cheaper to bob it. I'm not paying top dollar to restore a loving Savage. So hey, free motorcycle that I'm getting low 60's mpg out of.

Is that actually, in any way, comfortable to ride? Those handlebars look like they're REALLY far forward.

Other than that I'd really like to get a ride on something like that, only been on sports bikes and dirt bikes so far.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I can understand the bike - for what it is it's not too bad, not my taste, but I could see how someone could like it.

But what's up with that helmet..?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Silver posted:

I can understand blurring anyones face out. What's with the plates thing though? Is there really anything they can do with them as an average joe? I mean I figure a cop could run it and find out who it is, but just a regular guy on the internet I wouldn't think could do anything with them.

Plz advise tyia

Content...

Christ those things are sexy.

If she can ride that I think I want to marry her.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Ran too wide on the corner the non-screwed bike is and ran the dirt, then back on the road?

Also, that Chooter is kinda cool in a sad, I'd never be seen on it dead kind of way. (But I'd still like to ride it in secret)

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

One of the old bikey guys I chat to had a Vincent Black Shadow. They're beautiful.

It got stolen :( Only got to drool over it once, before I was really into bikes and could truly appreciate it.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I saw a stock one last Saturday. It was an older guy riding it though which may explain it.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I was out and about and chatting to a few oldschool fellas that I chat to at the pub today and one of them invited me back to his shed to check out his bikes. This is just one of the sheds these guys have between them and it's 4 of this particular fellows bikes - he has 3 more. Anyway, got some pictures of the bikes and of me in two of them, christ they're nice.

Got to start the blue and red one (all of them are kickstart) and actually managed to do it! Was pretty happy with myself for being able to do it, never kickstarted a real bike before (the shitbox dirtbikes we have don't really count, and they have a push start anyway).

I couldn't believe how much more vibration they have just sitting there compared to my ZZR250. I also can't believe how complicated it is to prep them to start :O

All Triumph 750cc's I believe, although with different compression rates.

e: all of these are hand rebuilt from scratch basically (and mint).

gently caress it's nice to sit on them :O Massive grin when I first fired them up. :D :D

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Mar 10, 2012

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

Man those Triumphs are gorgeous, thanks for sharing, Shimrod

More than happy to - I'll try and get a video of them if I remember next time I'm over there if the owner doesn't mind.

I wish my Camera Phone was better, there is literally no flaws on any of those bikes - perfect paint, perfect chrome, everything.

There was also a Triumph America there that's 5 or 6 years old but I forgot to get a picture of it.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

nsaP posted:

People on this forum are so helpful.

What color is it?

Blue.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Christ that looks horrible and uncomfortable.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I know it's undoubtedly from doing burnouts, but man would it be funny if that was the size of his chicken strips.

You can see a his chicken strips on the outside - about 1cm long each.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I wonder how long it will take for someone to put some Tie Fighter wings on one of those Crossbow canopies.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Picked this up today for $500, going to do it up and probably sell it.

Needs a bit of work but should be fun.

Yamaha FZR-R 250cc.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Odette posted:

Wow, $500? gently caress man, I wish these were priced that way around here. Old CBR250RR (MC19/22) go for $2500-3300USD here.

What kind of work does it require? I'm curious.

New wheels, new chain, new oils, fairing on the right side is cracked so needs to be fixed, new right side indicators, new rear grip and a new piece of fairing between the main seat and the rear seat.

There's also a blown fuse somewhere the guy mentioned and there are a few bolts for holding various parts together that the person he brought it from lost when he pulled the bike apart.

Brake pads and discs are fine, paint is a bit dodgey so might repaint it, engine works fine, gear box, etc. (from what we're told, fuel tank isn't connected but the guy lives up the road from me and seems nice so I'll take him at his word - I'll hook it all up tomorrow and check it out anyway).

They sell from anywhere between $2000 and $4000 and there's only about 7 on Bikesales.com.au so should make a nice profit if I don't keep it.

We're thinking about $500 in repairs should have it good enough for road worthy.

Apparently it'll absolutely flog my ZZR so I'm quite keen to get it up and running and give it a spin :D

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Odette posted:

Yeah, the 80/90s 250cc bikes really were an amazing feat of engineering. The amount of horsepower/torque they put out is actually quite impressive compared with the modern variants. Probably goes without saying that the engine lifespan expectancy is a lot lower, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, been chatting to a mate who lives in Sydney who has a mate with one - aparrently it should go 0-100km/h (0-60mph) in the 4 second bracket and can wheel stand in all gears :O

Pretty drat keen to fix it up and go for a spin :D

Even more keen to get into fixing it and learning all about the inside of a bike - the most I've done so far is an engine oil change, chain and sprockets change and a bit of fairing repair so should be a fun learning experience.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Z3n posted:

That's an awesome project at a great price, although the wheelies in every gear thing is total BS. Also that reminds me I need to post my thread about plastex fairing repair. I'll do it a bit later today.

:(

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Z3n posted:

Sorry I will post it sometime tomorrow.

Unless your :( is about the wheelies thing in which case, buddy, it's a 250 that's not a dirtbike. Come on now. ;)

Yeah, the :( was for the wheelies thing :P Was a bit of a joke anyway, I'm too much of a pansy to actually try to wheel stand a bike deliberately because I'll probably go over and look like a jackass that's in a lot of pain :(

Got it running today, runs like a dream. Going to start a project thread in a second with all the pictures and videos and a running commentary of the whole shebang in a second.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

What a badass.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Demonlord posted:

Crosspost from the 250 thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxj_mEEgS5E

Haha, I love doing that and still not speeding :D

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I was looking at one just like that red one today 2nd. All I could think of was how it was bigger than the mini it was next to.

I want one.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

mootmoot posted:

MV's new advertising strategy.

Any women offended?

gently caress yeah, that's awesome.

I would buy one just because the advertising department has balls.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

HNasty posted:

That ad is "ballsy" if you're basically a teenager and have never actually touched a woman. Motorcycle advertising is the worst poo poo ever, but I do love the old Norton/Triumph strategy of just putting good looking women on their bikes in ads.

That has nothing to do with it - it's ballsy because nowadays that's about as far out there as you can get. Chances are they probably got in a heap of poo poo for it. That's why I like it.

I do like that Triumph ad though.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

What was the occasion to get a bunch of people on bikes going around a parking lot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

invision posted:

People that ruin perfectly good bikes like that need a kick in the nads. Repeatedly. For ever.