Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Z3n posted:

Too bad you're halfway across the world, I've been idly looking for a CBX to restore. :v:
Not one more or less like this, then?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-Honda-CBX1000_W0QQitemZ170399139173QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item27ac948565
That one's only half as far away, with no ocean in between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Doctor Zero posted:

To the new 2010 model:
With the wraps on, it reminds me of this, in an odd (totally loving cool) way.

I can see why you might have a hard time resisting. That thing is gorgeous.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
That beak is awesome. Looks like an eagle from the side, and a Battlemech from the front.

It's kind of a shame that just managing to get on it would likely be akin to visiting the cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde for me.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Slim Pickens posted:

Was looking for dudes getting a knee down on a scooter, and coincidentally just found my new background.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Yes!

Replaces:

Click here for the full 1024x685 image.

Content:

Click here for the full 1000x750 image.

Ride Report Here: http://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopic.php?p=671107

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
So many captions come to mind, but only one is really sticking with me.

Z3n posted:

"Hi, Mom!
No, this isn't really a good time...can I call you back in say, a half hour?"

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Z3n posted:

"I've been on hold for hours with Suzuki US!"
"Press 7 for Technical Support."
*riiiing*
"Uh...hi. I bought this bike the other day, and I read the manual and everything, and I got it to turn left OK, but how do I get it to go straight again?"

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
"The Predator Motorcycle" they all call it...

Did nobody else notice the alien on the front wheel?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Z3n posted:

A Horton!
If it has loud pipes, does that make it 'Who Hears A Horton?'

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
Mounting them vertically behind the seat and using them like this would be amazing...

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 15, 2009

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

dietcokefiend posted:

Oh holy jesus christ

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518990
I find it fascinating when people with a certain level of...notoriety, shall we say?...post like regular joes in regular joe forums.
It's even better if they're more or less that rear end in a top hat that I thought they might be.

fake edit:

JESSEJAMES posted:

You spelled my name wrong.......
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n302/FTW1969/FTW2/ICE-BIKE/ICE-BIKE11.jpg*

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8579537&postcount=24

*{IMG} changed to {URL} for table-breakage and to preserve the original link (vs. just Waffling it up)

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Tsaven Nava posted:

Jesse James. He posts around ADV frequently enough, mostly in JM. Yeah he's kind of an rear end in a top hat, but in the best possible way, not the "Oh I'm so famous" way. And half the people in the threads are usually all HAY UR NOT THE REEL JESSIE JAMS POST A PIC OF UR WIFE SHES HAWT.
Yep.

I kinda figured that the whole "

JESSEJAMES posted:

You spelled my name wrong.......
"
thing would have been all the hint anyone needed. That and the fact that dietcokefiend's link went to one of Jesse James' posts on ADV... :D

Although, I do sheepishly admit wanting to go sample the fare at his (James', not DietCokeFiend's) restaurant in LA now.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

"[working title posted:

"]Must have hurt so much.

VisorDown posted:

Camier's knee was relocated trackside...
drat straight it was. It looks like it was relocated to somewhere in the vicinity of his Appendix.

Day Late, Dollar Short Edit, in honor of the 8" of snow that's s'poseta hit Denver tonight:

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 22, 2009

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Methusulah posted:

Holy poo poo yes.

E: Vicious Cycles for content :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAj0NvKt9pM
God, that's funny. My coworkers are wondering...

As is this - I kept waiting for him to high-side, though. =)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfc6TdH1xUo

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Tsaven Nava posted:

drat, look at the way the back of his head cracks the pavement before the last flip. If that's not an advert for helmets, I dunno what is.
On the flip side, look how little else he's wearing. If that's not an advert for ATGATT...

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Tsaven Nava posted:

...this proves that it doesn't matter the speed, you can get srsly hosed up.
Indubitably.

*points at the stoppie GIF above*
Speed = 0

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Spiffness posted:

Ah yes, because every video Ive ever seen of some stunter losing it on the highway ends with them gracefully sliding on their chosen pads like a ninja Chester the (Cheetos) Cheetah.
If it were a ninja cheetah, you'd never see him.
Edit: Chesta the Stunta!

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 10, 2010

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Z3n posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN7izs8Ldzk

gently caress yeah, bro. gently caress yeah.
*looks around*
Where's that Ride By Yourself thread again?

I stopped counting at 37 bikes.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
1m45s

This sums up Jendywo's views on how to have a successful relationship with a man.

"Age: 12 ans"

Accept this as truth, and you're home free.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
There is, however, a robotic (paintball) anti-aircraft turret back in the corner that says that no, in fact, he does not need any stinkin' ladder. :colbert:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

redscare posted:

He posts about it later in the thread, dude apparently used to be one hell of a racer and has devised some trick way of left-hand shooting while looking at the road at all times. Its loving nuts.
Crazy stuff to be doing with a $3000+ camera!

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Click here for the full 1000x524 image.

Click here for the full 1100x733 image.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Silver posted:

content:

Is that...one a them Factory Sponsored Stunnas? :ssh:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Tentacle Party posted:

I cant find a better picture but this is how you carry food on a bike. For the first few weeks I saw these in glorious nippon, I thought they were some sort of electric contraption. The spring at the top looked like a ceramic insulator to me. They are pretty rad, seeing guys hoon around on them with a big bowl of ramen on the back, the tray staying perfectly level and safe.

Click here for the full 565x850 image.

That's brilliant.

For those that can't 'see' it, the two arms that are raised at 45* pivot down, and serve as guides for the metal 'cage', which is attached to the green plasti-cloth on top, which comes down around the tray like a tent, trapping heat. The whole contraption is on a pivot, and the black thing is a shock absorber - the whole thing also rides up and down on the small vertical rods next to the shock - soaking up both swaying and bumps.

Brilliant, I say.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

MrZig posted:

2 Stroke RZ500 & RZ350 through tunnels.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPqgXe1e6bo&feature=related

Dear god, this sends shivers down my spine. I need one of these bikes, RIGHT. NOW.
Buzzy and obnoxious. If I ever get one, you can have it.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

inolen posted:

You can't poo poo all over their efforts from atop your high horse without them getting frustrated. Of course there are the type who just get agitated because they are fragile people who desperately need something to feel cool about and don't want you telling them otherwise, but I don't think that they account for a lot of it...
Having seen the threads in question, I'd be willing to bet that the latter outnumber the former by a very hefty margin.

I mean, really - honestly - how many guys in the whole of the U.S. are so very dedicated to being a pro that [/b]they've already quit their day jobs[/b] to do so. 300? 500?
How many of those super-dedicated guys are there that also spend lots of time posting on internet forums about it?

Conversely, how many more are 'casual' stunters who have day jobs, and the time to sperg out about it on the internet night after night?

The threads seem to hold the proportion of A to B that I'd expect. (i.e. Many more of type B...)

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Ola posted:

Motorcycle vids on youtube are basically:

- Mad stunnaz
- Cell phone vids of aftermarket pipes, preferably with the phone shoved into the actual pipe
- Actual riding, but with audio from nu-metal or distorted wind noise
No poo poo...

This video is only made better (or at least more interesting...or at least "not like every other goddamn motorcycle video on YouTube) by muting the sound, and playing just about *any* of the preview clips off this page.

(I just queued up the video and hit "preview all songs", and there are some interesting things that happen at various points... Is it the Dark Oz of YouTube? Nah. Kinda cool anyway.)

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Ola posted:

At least it's easy to figure out which exhausts are available and popular for a given bike.

Also, riding + music can work really well if you know how to edit and have some grasp of telling a visual story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqqBySKr4ac
That's awesome - but it seems like it would take some equally awesome gear to create, more than a vague idea of what you want in the end (Starting out with the end in mind), and buddies who don't mind doing weird poo poo/multiple shots just for the sake of the shot (like the first shot vs the solo shot, or taking two separate ferries, so that one camera can get the shots of the rest of you all on the ferry coming into the slip), and not a little bit of wizardry, not to mention the ability (and desire, and dedication) to shoot an absolute metric FUCKTON of footage during the trip so that you can discard 80% of it.

There clearly was a hell of a lot of planning and effort (and money) put into making such an amazing video record of a couple guys from YouTube meeting up.

Now, if you'll excuse me - I've got to go watch it again. =)

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
...in flip flops. :facepalm:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Z3n posted:

Bam.

For those who are wondering how you can find posts from users in a thread:
If you have plat, you can type someone's name in to the search by username box and it'll spit out their name and a number. If you click on the little ? below someone's avatar, you'll get all of their posts in the thread. If you look at the address bar, it'll say something like:

code:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=2032191&userid=34314
That userid specifies that you only want to see their posts, and you can swap whatever user ID number in there to get all of the posts by a single user. I looked up freeride88's number, swapped it in, and there it was.
Good lord, man! You've got *12 pages* of posts...in this thread alone.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

AncientTV posted:

George Romero + motorcycles + renaissance fair + Ed Harris
:drat:

Seconding "I need to see this"

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Doctor Zero posted:

D&D > SCA > LARPing > Furrydom

It's better we don't even go there at all though.
Too bad.
Where do "non-medieval, yet still re-enacting" (WWII, Civil War, ECW, Mountain Man/Trapper, etc.) groups fit along that spectrum? In front of, or behind the SCA?

Inquiring minds want to know.

NinjaCthulhu posted:

Fabrizio at the Phillip Island test.
I spend far too much time at ADV, I think.

My first thought was "Oh, really? Are those Distanzias? How's he gonna fit a decent topcase on that tail?"

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 23, 2010

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

what forum am I in?!
I have terrible news for you, sir...

They are, in fact, one and the same.

Actual Content - I think I want one of these

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 23, 2010

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

niethan posted:

If you set videos to embedded in your profile somewhere then you can just look at the preview picture
Counterpoint: My workplace happens to block images delivered from the somethingawful domain - so I get no smilies, no attached images (I do get Waffled images, though), and most hysterically, I don't see the :nws: and :nms: tags around links to NWS images, so I'll frequently "peek" at image links by quoting the post (I do see the *tags* for the images in the quoted post, even if I don't see the images themselves), then backing up after figuring out if it's safe to click on or not.

I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Slim Pickens posted:

Considering you could get a used one of these for under 4 grand on craigslist(probably under 3 if you look hard enough), It's giving me ideas. A narrower tank, drag bars and wrapped pipes would go nice.
"One of these" is a...what again? Sure doesn't look like it started life as a UJM.

Phat_Albert posted:

Someone in your IT department is a gooooooooooooooooooooooon
Off Topic Side Quest.
We use Bluecoat, which works a little bit like a NetNannyWiki. Your IT Security guys put in a set of rules that reflect the language contained in your corporate Acceptable Use Policy, and Bluecoat simply categorizes sites/URLs based on the input of *all* their userbase. If you come across a site that is blocked, but miscategorized, there's a link on the "blocker" page that you can use to report the page to Bluecoat (suggesting more accurate categories), who re-reviews it, and updates the categories appropriately.

Example: "Firearms" is a category of website/information called out specifically in our AUP. Several years ago, when I was far more active in the hobby, I found a lot of Airsoft sites were blocked as being "Firearms/Weapons Related", and I sent along update requests for them, and they were usually unblocked within 24 hours.

So, apparently, forums.somethingawful.com is less something (less) awful than https://www.somethingawful.com.

Go figure.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 25, 2010

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Slim Pickens posted:

Oh, my bad. It's a 650 V-Star that the guy got in a trade. The owner took a stock one, pulled "about 60 lbs. of chrome off" leaving those bare pipes, then took a ball peen hammer and knocked the sides of the tank in. He did such a fine job it didn't need filler before paint. A friend made the seat and he used a junk yard rear fender and pounded it out to fit the rear. drat good job considering how little extra money went into it.
Nifty...

Well, well, well, what do we have here?

Comparatively Laughable Craigslist Ad posted:

I am the original owner of this 2001 Yamaha V-star Classic. It has very low miles (about 5500) and I have taken excellent care of it. The bike has been customized by a very reputable Colorado company that has been featured on Hooters Calendars, Bike shows throughout the US, many Metric Cruiser magazines, and even was considered for a spot on Season 1 of Metric Revolution which features the country’s best custom motorcycle builders and lets them compete in a building competition to see who can make the ‘sickest’ machines.
This bike has a lot of features such as the low seat height of 22 inches, custom forward controls, custom drag bars, billet risers, custom mirrors, hand made side draft exhaust with chrome tips and custom wrap, custom rear fender that hugs the rear tire, hidden wiring, custom hidden push button start, side mount license plate, custom paint job, and much, much more. The total cost just in customization on the bike is valued at over $11,000.
It is very powerful, it has been custom jetted, and easily climbs through our beautiful Colorado Mountains. The best part is that this bike is “complete” everything has been done and now the only thing left to do is ride it. The bike looks, sounds, and feels awesome. You will never get tired of all the attention you will draw when you take it out!
For posterity, the pictures look JUST LIKE the one Slim posted - save that the tank hasn't been hammered in...

Conversely,

Much Saner Craigslist Ad posted:

2002 Yamaha V STAR 650 Custom 6,075 MILES. Has brackets for Saddle Backs, Backrest, Rear Seat, Windshield, and back Touring Bag. Purple with Silver accents, Lots of chrome, Great Rider or Daily Commuter. Cover, Garage kept, Never dropped. $2850. Please email xx#xx or call ###-###-####. No joy rides or unlicensed riders. Serious only please, Located in Northglenn, Title in hand.
Given all the love that Jendywo had for that Victory Vegas Low (and all the other cruisers in the shop) - I'd be sorely tempted. Really, REALLY glad I don't have the money.

We may keep our eyes out when she comes back from California at the end of April.

Meanwhile, anyone have any idea what tires those are on the Bobber, and the $5500 custom I just linked? No idea what kind of grip they'd provide, but drat if that isn't a nifty looking tread.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 25, 2010

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Coredump posted:

I'm just jealous at the sheer amount of people they have riding on two wheels over there. Can you just imagine the possibilities if we could get more people on two wheels in the US?
Yes, I can, and in my mind, it's not a pretty sight.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Z3n posted:

That seriously looks like hell on earth...is there anything worse than crawling along at 15 mph in your overloaded touring bike? That you trailered there? Jesus.
I couldn't get more than about three and a half minutes into it before I had to shut it off.

Know what the worst part is?

He clearly clipped out the 'boring' parts and left us with the exciting bits.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Endless Mike posted:

Whatever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8IIgIdp-Pk
Nope. The *worst* traffic I've ever seen is (was? It was August of 1999 and 2000 when I was out there) on the 91 in various spots in Riverside County and out near Anaheim.

Everyone cruises along at 75-80 in a 55. Even Great Great Grandma in her Buick. Then, out of the blue, everyone *PANIC STOPS*, and you crawl along for a half mile or so at 10-15 MPH, then, just as out of the blue, everyone races away back up to 75.

No accident, no stall, no obvious cause of the slowdown. Just...magic poo poo your pants brake check zones every so often.

On the other hand, for the last 8 years or so, when I've (rarely) had the unfortunate circumstance to find myself on I-25 during rush hour, I've used this guy's theories and practices, and have found that they do seem to work:
A) I rarely, if ever, come to a complete stop, even if everyone else does.
B) It's only the occasional person who will get impatient and get out of my lane - and I usually re-pass them within a couple of minutes.
C) It's a 'game' to see if I can get where I'm going without stopping. It keeps me entertained and upbeat in an otherwise lovely situation.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

hayden. posted:

I've tried this a lot in Texas and it just doesn't work. 80% of drivers will pull out in front of you and fill the gap, even if it doesn't put them any farther ahead. People are attracted to traffic gaps like bugs to a light.
*shrug*
Last time I was in DFW, it worked fine for me travelling back and forth (and back and forth and loving back. and. forth.) from Arlington to Fort Worth - if they're actually managing to fill the gap up so that you have to come to a stop, then you're maybe not leaving a big enough gap.

There's a spot here in Denver on southbound I-25 where I can see a long, long way (almost 2 miles) down the road. If I see tons of brake lights and stopped traffic, I'll let the gap open up to close to 500-600 yards or so, knowing that I can 'eat' that and not have to stop when I get there.

Yeah, people jump in the hole, but that's sort of the point - to leave a hole for them to jump into, and leave a gap long enough (however long that has to be) so that you arrive at the stopped traffic wave just about the time it starts moving again.

e: gently caress you, Top of the Page Post.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
Check the dude with the gigantic fairing. Third place! O_o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBqgqClD9wY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

My bike gets to live inside for the next couple weeks while I repair the ignition lock after an attempted theft. I got some funny looks pushing this thing onto the maintenance elevator. (I live in a 20th floor apartment)
If it were a trials bike, you could have ridden wheelied it up the stairwell.