Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Every touring book I've ever read has warned me to walk across any water crossings first... For exactly that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

Holy poo poo, that looks awesome. I think that made me the most pumped for electric bikes I've yet been. I'm not quite sure what about gasoline and combustion makes a bike "hard" though.

I just love the guys accent. Sounds like an extra from "Snatch."

Now that I think about it, electric bikes are a great idea. A lot of the problems that pure electric cars have, kinda don't matter for bikes. Bikes are so much lighter, a battery will last a lot longer, and in the US, bikes are considered toys, so you don't have to have a 400 mile endurance. The bike can go 150, 200 miles on a charge and then take all night to charge up, because I bet most of the bike owners out there don't ride any farther than that in a day anyway.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Symphoric posted:

I'm pretty sure that's Ewan McGregor's voice. Could be wrong though.

I meant the guy saying it was supposed to be "'ard blokes ridin' 'ard bikes!"

That scooter crash is great. Poor bastard. It looks like almost everyone wipes out in the exact same spot, at least they're almost all wearing gear.

The morbid rotundity of some of the riders in the GTO crash video is great, too. Do you have to adjust your suspension when you weigh more than the wet weight of your sportbike?

Pagan fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 6, 2011

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I just watched all of rnickeymouse's videos and I gotta ask:

Do you ever know you're going to lowside? In one of the highside videos, the guy gets on the throttle too much while leaned over, starts to lose the back, then corrects, which flips him off the front.

Should you just say "oops, I'm gonna lay 'er down now" or what? And what causes most lowsides in turns like that? Too much lean? Too much speed? Rear brake? Front brake?

I lowsided on the track once. It was a strange feeling of just knowing it was going to happen, but too late to do anything about it. I didn't feel a sudden slip, nor was there any one moment. It was just a realization that I was about to go down, and down I went.

As to what causes it, that one was old tires and too much lean angle. I don't think I was going that fast, and later on once I had better tires, I could handle the same corner at a much higher speed.

On those corners, I imagine the camber change would really mess with you. It doesn't look, at a glance, like it's that sharp of a turn. Of course, braking too hard could certainly make a bad situation worse.

Pagan fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 7, 2011

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

kylej posted:

This is the scariest one of them all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1_FaZqW5pw

What the gently caress is that chick in the Evo doing? God almighty.

There's a pretty narrow and twisty road right near my house. It's fun to ride, but so many drivers take up the whole road. It's so narrow that there isn't even a center stripe in most places.

My roommate rode it today, and texted me "gently caress that road." People just can't drive.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Bondematt posted:

Did those tickets stick? Seems like any lawyer could get you out of it by saying he was just walking by, as proof is on them. Course it might not be worth fighting a $50 ticket with a $500 lawyer.

Actually, the cops went a giant leap further. They used asset forfeiture to seize cars of "witnesses." Even every day people who just happened to be parked nearby got their cars seized. With asset forfeiture, the cops don't have to charge you or win a conviction. You have to sue the city / state / county and prove that you're innocent to get your property back.

Yes, in America, this happens. Thank the War on Drugs.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Goddammit. That truck was all over the loving road afterwards, too. Completely in the opposite lane in multiple corners. That's just hosed up.

That's just insane. I read the thread on their forums, looks like the cops don't care. They're debating weather or not to send it to local news stations.

Yes, they're riding fast and aggressively, but it's not redneck Bob's job to be the local traffic cop. I'd love to have seen them snatch his tire iron and beat him unconscious. What a jackass.

Pagan fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 23, 2011

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

VCR 2.0 posted:

The best part is he did it correct once at least.

Then he decided "Honey get the camera!"

http://beginnersinvest.about.com/od/investstrategiesstyles/a/aa081906a.htm

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Ola posted:

Guy Martin's twitter account tender just linked this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsclxwY8gkI

I just watched all 4 MotoGP races from this season, and that blows away anything I've seen so far. That pass would be amazing, even in the dry.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

eggyolk posted:

Here's two recent drawings for content.

The SV taking a break.

What I wish the SV looked like. How does one cure themselves of an infatuation with huge front tires?

Those are both really well done.
Now you've got me wondering how a bigger front tire would handle.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Ola posted:

On the other side of the scales of sanity, let's hold the pilots of the South Atlantic A-330 crash. They were highly trained professionals that might have let a preventable situation get away from them due to computer reliance, abstraction leaks and complacency (this is not proved). How do you think the 60K mile oil change morons would fare in what is essentially a high performance, multi-engine, multi-rotor helicopter in instrument conditions on autopilot, complacent to the point of willing self-righteous ignorance?

I conclude therefore, honored assembly, do not give a flying gently caress about flying loving cars.

That crash actually is pretty sad now that more info is coming out about it. The air speed measuring device (pitot) malfunctioned, and they ended up stalling the plane thinking they were going too fast. They then plummeted at 10,000 feet per minute, straight into the ocean. Accelerating would have fixed it, but they either didn't have enough training or they didn't realize what the situation actually was.

Another side of things, one of the Kennedy's crashed because he got disoriented in the fog around Martha's Vineyard. He decided to trust his own sense of vertigo instead of his instruments, and ended up spiraling down into the cold Atlantic.

Finally, there's every favorite accident of mine. Next time you're driving down a perfectly straight, multi lane section of divided highway... Look at the tire marks and notice how many people manage to spin out and crash. Just yesterday on my commute, in perfectly good weather (dry, sunny, great visibility) some idiot had managed to spin across three lanes of freeway and end up backwards, in a ditch, along the side of the road. He didn't hit another car or anything.

Perhaps if we had computer control that was good enough to take the complete human element out of flight and tracking maintenance, it might be viable. But then, it would be pretty boring, too.

Imagine this guy, with an aircraft :

http://www.keepbusy.net/play.php?id=motorcycle-showoff-fail

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

I have to wonder why he wants to keep wasting money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGcS8YD9fpw
Crazy save, too bad about the video.

I've always thought the guys who were seeing daylight under both tires were making it look easy. It seems like a great way to make a BIG mistake, but they always do it so smoothly. I've seen guys on IOM who approach a crest leaning one way, transition in midair and land leaning the other direction.

That video proves how tricky it really is. Good job for the guy recovering, though.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

It's a cool looking bike, and I certainly approve of boobs on youtube... But the turning radius and ergonomics look horrible. I bet a full on race bike is more comfortable in the long run than that thing.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

I dont get why people dont get that the Tron bikes arent actually a good bike design. They are a COOL bike design, arguably one of the coolest, but they dont translate to the real world well at all. Same goes for the Akira bike.

I wonder how well the Akira bike would work. It seems like the recumbent position would throw a lot of things off, but OTOH, recumbent bicycles work pretty well in real life. It does look amazing.

I've heard that the Bat Pod wasn't that bad, either. Took a lot of steering effort, but it wasn't as hard to drive as it looks.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

eggyolk posted:

Yeah, the U-turn radius matched the diameter of the wheel.

Actually, now that I've watch the videos on this page http://www.gizmag.com/batpod-ps-pod-replica-road-motorcycle/15875/ of the replica... it looks like a nightmare. It takes him almost three lane-widths to make a simple right hand turn.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9zNUPDmnz4&feature=related

Could he fit more Suzuki logos anywhere on his body? I don't think this is the kind of rider Suzuki wants representing their brand.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Ola posted:

gently caress, everyone will think his penis is bigger than mine. Gotta show them who's the real bro in here...

I don't know which video is more satisfying; that one, or the Speeders one where he dumps his bike in the courthouse parking lot.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Korwen posted:

I see this poo poo all the time here in Texas. I guess it isn't just here, but it seems like using your turn signal is just indicating to the person on that side they need to speed up to guarantee that you can't get over. It's loving mental and one of my biggest peeves about drivers in this area. I think it's the reason that people hardly use their indicators anymore.

It's the EXACT reason I don't use my indicators much; because people treat them as the opening bell in a fight.

Depending on the vehicle I'm driving, though, I'll signal and then just move over, and you better get out of my way. If it's a fullsize van, or sometimes even my SUV, and I think you're being a dick or inattentive, I'll pretend I've got a blind spot and can't see you, and just slowly but inexorably move over, ignoring your beeps and honking.

When I'm on the other end, if I see someone signal to change lanes, I tap my brakes, sometimes even flashing my lights to move over. If I am in the left lane, even if I think I'm going fast enough, I will move over if someone is coming up on me. If everyone drove in a courteous fashion, driving would be so much easier.

On the bike, I trust in one of the things my father told me when I started riding : Ride like everyone is trying to kill you. I'll signal if there's a ton of room, but if I think someone wants to fight over it, I'll either zip in front of them, or slow down and let them pass, and switch lanes in behind them.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

If you're worried about falling / stability... Wouldn't a sidecar rig work just as well, be cheaper, and look pretty cool, too?

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

Took this one this weekend up at the New England Air Museum

Any chance we could see the original, properly exposed image, and not what you puked radioactive photoshop crap over?

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Odette posted:

You mean that's real? I thought that was something from Battlefield or something.

No, that's what happens when someone with no photographic eye realizes they've taken a boring picture and tries to "spice it up." It's the equivalent of someone in the kitchen dumping ALL THE SPICES on your food because hey, a little tastes good, right, so a lot tastes better!

We make fun of people like that in Creative Convention all the time. What's sad is, the subject itself is pretty interesting, and doesn't need a ton of lovely processing.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Deeters posted:

I like Connecticut in the summer. I don't like people from Connecticut.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kko2zLYqMjQ

Connecticut is great! There are quite a few things you can do when you're in CT. You can go to Rhode Island, you can go to Massachusetts, you can even get to New York from Connecticut.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Marv Hushman posted:

Oh come on man, you've got the Mystic Aquarium, the Nathan Hale Schoolhouse, the Nautilus Museum, the...aw hell, you can't even fill up an afternoon in that state. It is the cradle of the handgun industry, and I think this was because of local demand for quick suicide.

Connecticucian, born and raised. Left at 18 and the thought of returning sends shivers down my spine.

The Mystic Aquarium is really nice, I'll give you that. And, I imagine CT would be a fun place to just explore on two wheels. It's got some gorgeous scenic towns, and hopefully there are some twisty roads in there somwhere.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

KARMA! posted:

Lorry driver shouldn't use the second lane to turn. :argh:

Almost every single truck I've seen, in the US at least, has a huge warning on the back that they take wide right turns. As far as I'm concerned, it's the Prius driver who's at fault. The truck was signalling and everything. My gut says that if the Prius driver was going to fast to stop before hitting the truck, he was probably going too fast to make the turn safely, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

schreibs posted:

No, you are all wrong. Don't you see the cars at the beginning of the video going straight from the lane the Prius was in while other cars were turning left from the lane the truck was in. He/she/it in the Prius wasn't turning but just going through the intersection and the truck driver was completely at fault for making an illegal turn through another lane that had a green light to continue travelling straight.

I don't think you ever get a clear look at how the lanes are divided. It looks a lot to me like the truck swung a little wide, but it wasn't making a right turn from the left turn lane. There's hardly any room between the truck and the sidewalk; the only reason the Prius even fits is because they're tiny. What you think is a "lane" looks to me like a shoulder. By the time the Prius is even with the middle of the truck, it's passenger side wheel is almost on the curb.

The first frame you see the truck in, it's got it's blinker on, and the prius is just swinging around to pass on the right. The Prius also seems to accelerate; it certainly doesn't brake once it becomes obvious that the truck is turning. That's the whole reason the prius ends up in FRONT of the truck. I don't know what the traffic laws are, but I'm pretty sure the laws of physics say that a prius can stop faster than a truck that size.

Sorry, this looks like a dickish driver who's tired of being behind a truck that's driving slowly, so he tries to make an illegal pass, ignoring the blinkers of the truck.

Regardless of who you may think is in the right, this is also a perfect example of the "rule of gross tonnage." If that was a motorcycle, not a car, do you think the now crippled rider would be satisfied, in their hospital bed, that they had the right of way?