Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sirbeefalot posted:

I want one of these, but with a red suit to match. Classic Space Lego Man!
Really, any Lego themed suit would be really fun.

Same here, this is definitely my ideal helmet. I like red in color schemes on bikes, even though at night red might as well be black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Those big choppers really do seem like the bike equivalent of old dudes driving convertible coupe penis shaped bmws. That said, I have probably watched around 100 episodes of American chopper over the years. Mostly just for the drama though.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He basically hammered the front brake, or didn't use rear brake enough right?

Also didn't give himself enough room to slow down obviously, but I think he could have done that better if he wasn't so bad at braking.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

007 kawasaki ninjs 250 has a clean cali title needs all body work exept tail pice needs gage cluster and key switch, has 8,000 miles on it this bike is still worth $3,000 male me an offer on it call for more in fo or to come look at it

hahahahaha...

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sirbeefalot posted:

Aaand fast forward to the tail end of the ride, at Neptune's Net in Malibu. We parked up in the MC lot in front, and there were these his & hers stretched, turbo'd (?) and chromed 'busas. License plates say "DRAGLVR" and "LUV2DRAG."

hahaha.. jesus christ. :ughh:

I'll bet you anything they're from simi valley or thousand oaks.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slim Pickens posted:

BRA-BRA-BRA-BRA-BRA-BRA-BRA

I wish someone would use this at an MSF

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slim Pickens posted:

all three(driver, passenger and rider) were killed.

That bike almost looks salvageable though :q:

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

And where did these gems come from?

Edit: Sick tie.

http://atticus-flinch.livejournal.com/473373.html

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Being halfway intelligent and concerned with self preservation, I don't think I'd have gone ahead with even getting my M1 if I didn't have the advice here. From where I started it seemed like a pointlessly dangerous yet exciting activity which I generally avoid.

It still completely dumbfounds me that anyone would ride a motorcycle on a public road without even taking the MSF. The fact that it is even legal to do so completely astounds me.

Honestly in my opinion the MSF riding portion should be 4 times as long and be required before you even get a permit, and the test should be way less forgiving. But it's better than nothing.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Z3n posted:

Here's the weather out of my office window, a balmy 64 degrees. One degree off of optimum, Santa Barbara...:argh:

O hay, I didn't realize you're in socal. :q:

I went out to utah last weekend for vacation and when I got back to LA it felt like I entered an alternate dimension where there is no such thing as weather.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Z3n posted:

There's a fair number of us in SoCal. Once things get settled down a bit, I'll try and put together another maintenance day or something...now that Baby Hitler's gone though, we don't really have a place to work. Maybe we can beg a place to work from one of the other LA goons. Or you guys can come up to SB. :D

I'm up for that. Definitely getting that drz400sm this weekend so I'll probably want to do something to it by then.

I'd offer my place but I live in a condo in Korea Town. Pretty sure my wife would be pissed if we all pulled into the living room.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ari.gato posted:

Where in Ktown? I used to live on Catalina & Woods. I'm on the west side now.

Near St. Andrews Square.. 3rd and Gramercy to be exact. (gramercy is a few blocks west of western)

redscare posted:

Small world, I live in k-town too

Not all that surprising considering it's one of the few affordable and not completely uninhabitable ghetto areas in LA.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

redscare posted:

Yeah, so much of LA is a giant shithole.

I'm off 5th and Kingsley. Let's go ridin!

Maybe in a few months, I want to get the hang of street riding before I start riding with other people.

I'm fine with having a goonbiker meet though, that could be cool. Good excuse to hit fisherman's outlet or Neptunes if feeling intrepid.

soy fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 9, 2010

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Revenant.Eagle posted:

Best motorcycle action shots I've seen in a while:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536451

Riding up through the redwoods on a motorcycle is definitely on my list of things to do now.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Z3n posted:

From where he went off, looking back up the road:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

That's...not even a corner.

it is if you lean over and brake in it.. hahaha

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Coming from LA, that is not traffic. You're moving. Imagine a 100 mile by 100 mile city wherein every major artery is like that or worse.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Z3n posted:

Isn't that the whole point of being a cop? You're not gonna be too effective when you put a bunch of signs up indicating where you're gonna be. :v:

Rider's fault, that could have just as easily been a deer, another rider, whatever. There's so many loving retards up there I honestly don't care much about what the cops do in that area. I avoid that entire area any time it's a weekend because it's like playing russian roulette. Still, it's hilarious to see dumbass after dumbass crash.

And it's not target fixation, it's just a locked front. Dumbass grabbed a handful of brake when he saw that cop.

Completely agree here... Mulholland is horrible on the weekends. I prefer Angeles crest/Pasadena area, less idiots and it's a lot nicer scenery.

I do want to go up there just to watch squids crash out though.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pr0zac posted:

These are some great French advertisements trying to convince people to wear the correct safety gear.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/RidingEvents/ridingeventsresults/Riding-skills/2010/July/jul0910-riding-skills-safety-the-french-way2/

This is great, I wish we had PSA's like this in America. I literally can't remember the last time I saw someone wearing anything beyond the bare minimum of safety gear on a motorcycle in Los Angeles. (except when I look at myself)

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

what the gently caress

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlackMK4 posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r-1t6D5E6U
No gear and riding 'like idiots' but the backing it in is pretty cool on the street.

To be fair, if you are gonna ride like that and crash it wouldn't matter if you were wearing space marine armor you're still gonna be dead.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chill_Bebop posted:

Can you give me this route on google maps or something?

I'd like this too. A thread dedicated to gmaps or some kinda gps compatible thing of good rides isn't a bad idea either.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlackMK4 posted:

:smith:

Judging by my last ninja, good luck ever getting that thing to start after being so cold.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hayden. posted:

Trying to make things float with giant fans isn't exactly a new concept. There's a reason we never see them commercially available, and that reason is very clear once you remove the anchors holding it to the ground.

Works well enough on some VTOL aircraft... Everything has to be weighted and measured perfectly so its just a matter of how much engineering time they put into it.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gnaghi posted:

:barf:

I remember the first time I saw one of these... It was in Topanga Canyon, and it was a really large Latin American dude with barely any gear on except the requisite minimalist helmet.. He also had a really long scarf that flapped in the wind...

I ended up seeing the same guy almost every day on that commute for like 8 months. Dude loved his tricycle.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phat_Albert posted:

Supermotos are the only thing that gives me some hope in the US market, and even those are a very small niche bike to the majority of the motorcycling public here

I'm surprised they do as well as they do. Every time I tell someone I have a motorcycle and they always ask "what kinda bike?" as if they actually know enough about bikes to know more then "a ninja" or "a harley" and I tell them "it's a supermoto" I just get this blank stare...

I just summarize it by saying, "it's a dirtbike with street tires" and they almost always go "hmph"

So yeah, having a supermoto has made me appears less cool than if I just continued to ride the bus to work... I accept this.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9za7KDiSQo

I think the cop doesn't bother to chase him since probably every cop in the entire city can hear the guy coming from 5 miles away.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3s19jjEeHE

I think girls are just not good at riding things with two wheels possibly... I don't know where they found these chicks.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They should do a scene in the next mission impossible or something where someone does that but throws the motorcycle at a helicopter to blow it up.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dude likes leopard print.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

how did he do this without a redbull jersey and a big redbull and a long amp up redbull session xxxtreme???? :v:

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT7VW1f0lSc

Or in HD

Just a GoPro video I took this last weekend of my first trip up into the mountains. I've commuted on my DRZ400sm for like a year now, but recently I've been commuting by car... So on the weekend, I actually want to go riding, and I did. It was fun... This was actually my first time taking any bike on a mountain road.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

toolshed posted:

Is that the chest mount?

Yep.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Went riding for the first time with my dad on Sunday through Kanan and Mulholland. Awesome day for it... All the dumbs at home getting fat watching superbowl so it was pretty clear and chilled out ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUbZehC4ECI

hd link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUbZehC4ECI&hd=1

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Probably Hates You posted:

I wonder if we passed each other. I took the same pretty much the same routes yesterday save for the dirt except in reverse. This weather, especially down by the beach is absolutely insane. This state does a lot of things wrong, but oh my god is it a great place to be a motorcyclist.

Yeah, the only thing California does right is basically existing as it was created by the earth/having roads... And some good food.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sir.Tucker posted:

Saw this on r/motorcycles on Reddit. So incredibly jealous.

Yeah I post there too, mainly because it hugely inflates my view counts.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love the absolute lack of any kind of helmet in that video.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

As if the sword isn't enough, he has a USA jacket..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I'll try and get some pics up tomorrow.

I actually really want to attempt this with my DRZ tonight as some friends got a campsite and this would be a lot more fun than driving out there in my Prius.

I've got a osprey atmos 50 backpack that looks something like this:

Internal frame, etc.. I go backpacking/camping a lot, I think I would go a lot more if I could incorp motorcycle into the equation.

I'm having a hard time visualizing in my head how this would actually work. Also, what parts I need from REI. I'm always up for an REI shopping trip.