Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot
Directed by: Tony Bill
Starring: James Franco, Jean Reno

I had heard nothing about this movie until this week, and watched it for the subject matter alone. I have some bias because the subjects (early flight, World War 1) appeal to me, but I think that anyone could enjoy this if they want a kind of adventure movie.

The setting is France during World War I. America hasn't involved itself in the war yet, but adventerers and renegades find their release in going across the Atlantic to join the French Air Corps.

There are some typical characters, but they cover less screen time than most recent war movies. Even though the movie is about two and a half hours, the only parts that drag are the protagonist's love interest scenes. Still, nothing seems tacked on, and the story flows smoothly.

The high points of the movie are the many dogfight scenes, which beat any others I can think of. Unlike most dogfight movies, this one has no radios, tricky (but robust) planes, and iron sights. The fighting is believable, with no side holding a monopoly on great pilots, and no successes gained without losses as well. The big picture of WWI is alluded to a few times, and you get a few glimpses of terrible trench warfare. The main focus of the plot is on the pilots themselves, and their own missions or trials.

The movie is an old fashioned war/adventure movie. There are no underlying themes or messages to the movie, and it can be enjoyed for what it is. If that's your thing, I recommend it. If you want something else, you probably wouldn't be interested to begin with.

4.5 for a very entertaining and well rounded movie.

RATING: 4.5

PROS: Good flight scenes, neglected subject, likeable characters
CONS: Long, "Old Fashioned"

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.mgm.com/flyboys/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wutasumi
Apr 25, 2006

AG: 8ut I was such a confused kid! I didn't know anything a8out what killing really means.
When watching this, you'll think to yourself multiple times that they just colored a WWI era propaganda adventure film...

Which isn't a good thing. Sorry, but Flyboys is pretty uninteresting and boring, and it's lack of... well... anything hurts it. The flying scenes even kinda suck. 1.5/5.

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

This movie is terrible. There is no acting. There is no motivation for many lines. Characters simply appear and speak because it was in the script.

It is total hollywood baloney. There is a cynical American veteran who is killed by, the typical evil german ace, and the brash young rookie who avenges the squad leader. Throw in a typical french cutie and an equally dumb and awkward romance plot, and you have total crap.

Don't see this movie, under any circumstances.