Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
God. drat.

I don't care if they were the "killer b's", I still mourn for the loss of this racing series. Can we bring back Can-Am while we're at it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_t8lVDt2RM

I've watched this about 10 times today. Idiot ricer thinks he's going to move his Civic by putting it in a U-Haul. Never mind his poorly thought out plan, the ramps that are never going to work, or the fact that U-Haul rents a loving car trailer for $30.

Even better, this guy completes the douche trifecta by yelling at his girlfriend as if it's her fault.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
So, real or not?

https://vimeo.com/8749584

I know that modern day F1 cars could drive on the ceiling no problem, and I'm still waiting to see them actually do it, but I don't think the SLS has nearly enough aero to make it stick. Then again, if they went up the wall at an angle and did it quickly enough, they might be able to get enough centrifugal force to do it.

I'm not sold one way or the other, but while I think it would be awesome to do it for real, I suspect there's a lot of fancy CG work.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

kill me now posted:

Everyone who tracks there car would know that stopping on track and getting out is a bad idea and its something that is gone over in nearly every drivers meeting. I know the ring is a bit of a different animal, but let the safety crews do their job. Its way too likely that a car will come around the corner and collect not only the crashed car sitting in the middle of the track, but you standing next to the crashed car.

The 'ring Touristenfahrten days are not a track day and things are handled a little differently. People forget that on those days, it's basically just a one way unrestricted speed toll way. You can get a ticket for not passing on the left and all the normal German traffic laws still apply. There are even speed limits in some sections now.

wikipedia posted:

Drivers who do crash have a responsibility of warning following vehicles that there has been an incident. If an accident occurs typical passerby procedure is to stop only if needed.(Needs include stopping to render first aid or to warn incoming traffic.) Follow up accidents are frequent and, the less chaos at a scene, the less chance for another "follow-up" accident to occur. The 'Ring, although for all intents and purposes a race track when used for racing, still remains a public road when opened to the public and is policed as such. Anyone caught or reported as driving dangerously can be fined or banned by the authorities. The costs can also be prohibitive with vehicle recovery, track closure penalties, and Armco repairs costing up to €15,000 out-of-pocket

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
Since we're talking vintage Nurburgring,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xwc54G2Ur8

Early 70's were not a prime time for automotive safety, and many people still believed it was better to be thrown from the car in a collision.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Dave Inc. posted:

What's the story here? Something on the track? Just looks like a lot of people completely blowing it right there.

Either that or it's just a bunch of people going too fast their first day on the track.
The Nurburgring is dangerous, cars in the 70's were unsafe, and driver training probably nonexistent. Witch's brew of badness right there.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Scrambles posted:

it's awful how many dudes fly into the sand trap and instead of just stopping think I GOT THIS, BITCHES COME and then loving roll over trying to get back onto the track
That's exactly why we extensively cover it in our track school. Most one car rollovers happen because someone's trying to be a hero. Once you realize you've gone off the black and onto the green, you keep the car straight, slow down, and once you've regained control at a much slower speed, you slowly go back on track.

The guy at 6:20 shows exactly how it should be done. It's not showy, it's not flashy, and he loses a lot of time, but he also stays upright and suffers zero real damage to the vehicle. I might cut this video to show at future track days.

The corner is Adenauer Forst, by the way. It's about a third of the way around the Nordschleife.

[edit]
The car at 0:28 is particularly terrifying. The girl hangs halfway out of the window, obviously hits her head on the pavement and just stays there limply until the driver pulls her back inside the car. I'm pretty sure she wasn't ok.

einTier fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 17, 2011

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Clank posted:

My cousin has the same stupid "seatbelts kill people" idea. I thought he was joking when he first said it but nope, that's what he believes.
There was also this idea that seatbelts tended to lock up after a collision and trap you in the car. Many people I knew said something along the lines of, "I'd much rather be thrown from the car in a collision. I don't want to be trapped in it and burn to death."

I distinctly remember one of the seat belt ads of my youth trying to dispel this notion that it was better to be thrown.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

hippynerd posted:

I know of one situation where it was better to be thrown. In this case The person thrown from the vehicle (at 70mph) got a few scrapes, but nothing serious. The passenger was pouring himself a shot of moonshine from a jug, and was slouching in the seat (but wearing the seatbelt). The driver did not have any idea how he left the vehicle, he thinks the window was up, but cant remember for certain, as he was drunk at the time. The passenger stayed with the vehicle, but because he was slouching in his seat, the seatbelt dug up under his ribs, and bruised his liver and or other internal organs. The driver recovered in a couple days, the passenger recovered, but was bed ridden for several months after the accident.
And these are exactly the kinds of accidents where people said, "see, it's better to not wear a seat belt."

I'm sure if we spent enough time, we could come up with dozens of examples just like this one. At the same time, if we spent the same amount of time coming up with examples where the inverse was true -- it's a good thing they were wearing their seat belt -- we'll come up with thousands, if not tens or hundreds of thousands.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
I thought it was a great ad marketing a very mediocre product. It just didn't fit.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
https://vimeo.com/20247765

In the vein of the Nurburgring video I posted earlier, vintage racing crashes. You had to have some stupidly big balls to race back in those days, I imagine they had a little hand truck to carry them around in.

Don't watch if flying bodies and almost certain death bothers you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Crustashio posted:

This is amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-i2_g33wXQ

Impreza with blown struts. Just watch it.

It's really strange when one of the videos making the rounds was made by one of your friends.

That's not the first $600 Subaru Brianne has purchased, and its lifespan is probably measured in days, if it's not dead already. She absolutely consumes cars. Tons of fun to hang around with, though. She's awesome.