Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

The truth never set me free so I'll do it myself.

tuyop posted:

Edit: What allows the drivers to remove their helmets when racing? Insanity?

They don't. They remove their helmets for road sections, where they're driving between stages of the rally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

Simkin posted:

Umm... Here's 5th gear doing something of a like, only to a car in a slightly higher snack bracket.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCm31-SqIjk

Slight difference being that the guy driving the MC12 actually owns the MC12.

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

Mo Hawk posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcHrkhHXoHo
jeep loses its top

What did they intend to achieve by towing it perpendicular to the direction of the tyres? Were they going to roll it sideways out of the mud?

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

Behold, my first time on a track (not counting go karts) - Formula Ford with a 1600cc Kent engine. So much fun. I regret not pushing a little harder, but a) you have to pay for any crash damage, and b) they'll kick you out if you spin more than twice, iirc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9X2FNGXFXw

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

Hypnolobster posted:

That's an awesome first thing to drive on a track. Does the insanely quick steering feel as weird as I'm imagining it does?

It didn't feel weird at all, maybe because I didn't have any particular preconceptions. I did like the directness and weight of it, and even the thickness of the steering wheel was just right for my somewhat small hands.

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

Aurune posted:

Awesome, you've instantly exceeded COTA guy's skill level. I've actually been trying to find out. Are the transmissions in those simple push / pull to shift or do you need to rev match your shifts while the car is in neutral?

It's a H-pattern shifter, I think with straight cut gears. Our car's 'engineer' mentioned that their race drivers usually only use the clutch on downshifts, but we're instructed to use the clutch whenever shifting, presumably for mechanical longevity. They actually recommend just leaving the car in 3rd for the whole lap so that you can concentrate on braking and turning, but what fun would that be? You don't need to rev match, but a blip of throttle on downshifts is recommended, as otherwise it loads up the rear wheels and unsettles the rear. I didn't have time to experiment with heel and toe, so all of my downshifts were fairly dodgy, but it didn't matter since I wasn't braking very hard.

My wife is half-Russian, and I'm dreading if/when we ever have to go to Russia to visit her relatives - I'm pretty much imagining it'll be like this.

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Did the car not idle well enough to the point that you had to heel-toe to shift from N into 1st to prevent the motor from stalling out? I remember that being so weird and a huge pain in the Formula Mazda I drove.

It certainly needed revs to get moving, I came pretty close to stalling it both times I left pit lane, but it idled just fine. That does remind me of one thing - the engine uses carbs and lurched horribly at low revs, but that was only an issue on the sighting laps when I was stuck behind the other car going at a snail's pace.

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

The accuracy of the following information is subject to my recollection of conversations on the day, and a whole lot of Googling:

They're older cars but they are still raced - one of the selling points for the experience is that it's the only one around that uses an actual race car - that's probably not strictly true, but you get the idea.

There are separate classes for Kent and Fiesta powered cars. I'm not certain whether Fiesta means Zetec or Duratec. Kent makes around 100bhp, while Fiesta makes 125bhp.

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Man, that skyline looks really nice. Where is that?

That's not a skyline, that's a WRX :downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

Can someone explain how this has the same number of cylinders and turbos as a Bugatti Veyron, but makes ~3 times the power? Is the compromise all in driveability versus peak power?