Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Coffey posted:

I got it. It's Kevin Costner in the movie The Guardian. He goes to give his wife the divorce papers that he had to sign.
OK, so now I need to find a similar scene from another movie because I haven't seen The Guardian.

poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

bad movie knight posted:

That film has such snappy dialogue, it's a virtual font of hipster song titles.

That's sappy dialogue? People must live sappy lives, then, because that is exactly how people having 'that' conversation talk. Stupid but of 10 guys having that conversation 9 will ask those questions if the woman will answer them.

Watching people act stupid is not necessarily more or less fun just because it's movie stars doing it. (Glad I was led to that clip before I wasted time on that movie though.)

(Never mind I misread sappy, when it should have been snappy. I must drink coffee now.)

kapalama fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 7, 2010

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

kapalama posted:

That's sappy dialogue? People must live sappy lives, then, because that is exactly how people having 'that' conversation talk. Stupid but of 10 guys having that conversation 9 will ask those questions if the woman will answer them.

Watching people act stupid is not necessarily more or less fun just because it's movie stars doing it. (Glad I was led to that clip before I wasted time on that movie though.)

sNappy, not sappy.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

kapalama posted:

...and the sNappy part is the comeback -- "Like you, but sweeter."

Apparently I got the exchange slightly wrong though. Here's how it actually plays out:

Anna: We do everything that people who have sex do!
Larry: Do you enjoy sucking him off?
Anna: Yes!
Larry: You like his cock?
Anna: I love it!
Larry: You like him coming in your face?
Anna: Yes!
Larry: What does it taste like?
Anna: It tastes like you but sweeter!
Larry: That's the spirit. Thank you. Thank you for your honesty. Now gently caress off and die, you hosed up slag.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

notcreativeenough posted:

Sounds like a scene in over a hundred tv specials, tv commericals, tv show episodes, made for tv movies, direct to dvd movies, theaterical movies. Also romance novels, novels in general, day to day to living.

I swear I'm not asking this to be insulting but are you autistic or have asperger's or something? You don't post like a normal person.

notcreativeenough
Mar 8, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Schweinhund posted:

I swear I'm not asking this to be insulting but are you autistic or have asperger's or something? You don't post like a normal person.

Nope neither. Just seen so much tv, movie, read novels, etc that any non specific details doesn't register since these common plot points I rememebr but this vagueness people often use to describe something all sort of blends together in my recall. Take for example if someone asks for a movie they saw where a group of bank robbers double cross one another. This is a common plot point. Now if you add in vampires the movie that will likely be the one is From Dusk till Dawn 2: Texas Blood Money. Zombies attacking while this is going on is Dead Heist. It's like asking for a movie with zombies so unless you add some more details to distingush it from the hundreds of other zombie movies it's going to be extremely difficult to narrow it down. Plus people misremember poo poo all the time about who a person was in relation to other people at the time a scene happened (ex wife could very well have been wife at the time) but exwife at the end or never the wife at all. I actually have identified a number of movies or just got too late by a matter of an hour to provide the answer.

notcreativeenough fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 8, 2010

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Schweinhund posted:

The scene in question is really bland and super cliche though. What am I missing?

notcreativeenough
Mar 8, 2010

by Fistgrrl

the Bunt posted:

The scene in question is really bland and super cliche though. What am I missing?

Hence incredibly common in movies, tv shows, novels, comic books etc. It's like it was taken from a how to guide on how to make a screenplay. I don't think people know how common certain tropes they have seen are and think that only one movie had this particular scene since it was so riviting to them.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

OK, yes, the goodbye scene is trite. The context of that goodbye and the way it plays out, in the film I'm thinking of, is what makes it unique. Goddamn, if you have nothing to contribute or no interest in helping anyone identify anything, this thread ain't for you.

Condescending prick.

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 8, 2010

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Hence incredibly common in movies, tv shows, novels, comic books etc. It's like it was taken from a how to guide on how to make a screenplay. I don't think people know how common certain tropes they have seen are and think that only one movie had this particular scene since it was so riviting to them.

Then name these movies where a man says goodbye to a woman and smells her hair? It's not common at all. You also said in the GBS thread that a goat defecating on a silk pillow happened in a lot of movies. You are just trying to sound like an expert when you don't know the answer and it just makes you look like a tool.

notcreativeenough
Mar 8, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Schweinhund posted:

Then name these movies where a man says goodbye to a woman and smells her hair? It's not common at all. You also said in the GBS thread that a goat defecating on a silk pillow happened in a lot of movies. You are just trying to sound like an expert when you don't know the answer and it just makes you look like a tool.

I said satanic ceremonies involving a goat were common and people likely either not recall that detail or misremember the goat making GBS threads on the pillow.

Man says goodbye to a woman and smells her hair? It's a cliche.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Then start naming all the movies that made it a cliché, dickwad.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

I said satanic ceremonies involving a goat were common and people likely either not recall that detail or misremember the goat making GBS threads on the pillow.

:siren::siren::siren:MOD CHALLENGE!!!!!!! gently caress YOU, NOTCREATIVEENOUGH!!:siren::siren::siren:

Name ten movies, ten novels, ten television shows and ten comic books that include this supposed cliche or I will ban you. You've got two days.

Good luck.

Professor Clumsy fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 8, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Do you have a template for this? Your assumption seems to be that if someone posts something vague it's common and unidentifiable and if they post a detail then they're probably misremembering. It's a wonder anything in this thread ever gets identified. Every single one of your posts seems incredibly pedantic.

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

I love this thread even more now.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Oh hell yes.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

notcreativeenough, I'll get you started:

1. The Guardian

Action Andy
Feb 5, 2007

Out From Animals

ProfessorClumsy posted:

:siren::siren::siren:MOD CHALLENGE!!!!!!! gently caress YOU, NOTCREATIVEENOUGH!!:siren::siren::siren:

Name ten movies, ten novels, ten television shows and ten comic books that include this supposed cliche or I will ban you. You've got two days.

Good luck.

which cliché does he have to name, the 'goodbye hair sniffer' or the 'goat pillow defecation'?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Action Andy posted:

which cliché does he have to name, the 'goodbye hair sniffer' or the 'goat pillow defecation'?

The "goodbye hair sniffer".

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ProfessorClumsy posted:

"goodbye hair sniffer".

That would be a good username.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The guy has been a goon for 3 months, probated twice already and on his way to a ban. I think Nuke Goes KABOOM has some new competition.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

The guy has been a goon for 3 months, probated twice already and on his way to a ban. I think Nuke Goes KABOOM has some new competition.
At least Nuke Goes KABOOM has a grasp on grammar and spelling conventions. And a modicum of wit.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Good luck.
Really? Aren't mod challenges supposed to be at the very least possible to do? Im not going to use the word cliche, but it seems like such an unforgettable event that you're not going to remember what movies it happens in. Plus I can't imagine how little it happens in comic books. It just seems like youre trying to ban the guy but you don't have reason enough to just outright ban him so you give him an impossible challenge.

At least he's been trying to help out the thread before the hair smelling derail.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Cage posted:

Really? Aren't mod challenges supposed to be at the very least possible to do? Im not going to use the word cliche, but it seems like such an unforgettable event that you're not going to remember what movies it happens in. Plus I can't imagine how little it happens in comic books.
But he's said it happened in comic books. Twice now.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Something kind of similar to My Girl, it's takes place in the 60s or 70s and it's a first love kind of movie about this skinny dude with a kind of strange face and long hair and he meets a girl and they love each other and they frolick around in the woods a lot, and some of their friends are deadbeats and hang around on some bleachers and one of them is older and kind of a psycho and he does something bad and then there's some trouble and a plot or something.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Cage posted:

It just seems like youre trying to ban the guy but you don't have reason enough to just outright ban him so you give him an impossible challenge.

And what's not fun about that?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

If you find this movie that I'm looking for there might be some hair sniffing in it and that may help you not get banned but then again there might not be any hair sniffing so I don't know.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

I don't want him banned, but the dude said it's happened in hundreds of movies but he refuses to name even one of them. He had his chance to either back down or prove he's right by listing all the movies that supposedly happened in, instead he just goes on repeating the same argument. So this is just put up or shut up. I'm sure if he comes close he won't get banned (or maybe he will, who cares)

Erasmus Darwin
Mar 6, 2001

Cage posted:

At least he's been trying to help out the thread before the hair smelling derail.

If you go over his post history, a lot of it's been fluff. Not bad enough that I'd suggest banning him for that alone, but also not really something that scores brownie points.

Plus, it's the second time he's had one of the crazy derails because someone was too vague. The first (in the GBS thread) was the goat making GBS threads on a pillow one. It still blows my mind that he complained about that.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Identifying cliches is about the easiest thing to do from memory alone, so if hair-sniffing and goat/pillow-making GBS threads (where did this even come from?) are cliches, it certainly wouldn't be hard to list movies that conform to it.

For instance...

Movies in which someone runs up the stairs when they should be leaving the house
1. The People Under the Stairs
2. I Know What You Did Last Summer
3. Scream 2
4. Halloween 4
5. When a Stranger Calls
6. The Uninvited
7. Psycho
8. Martyrs (although she technically goes down the stairs, so...Fatal Attraction)
9. The Hand That Rocks the Cradle
10. Sleeping with the Enemy

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

ProfessorClumsy posted:

The "goodbye hair sniffer".

And his older brother, "sister panty sniffer".

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I watched part of a weird movie on TV a long time ago and I just thought about it today. It was about a middle-aged detective who bought a woman from a woman farm (literally; a farm where naked women are kept in stables like cattle). There were a lot of stablishing shots of said farm, enough to classify the movie as creepy erotica, but after a while, the film goes off on a tangent and revolves around the detective's work. He then takes his mail-order wife to a fair, and I can't remember a whole lot more. The movie was probably made in the late 60's/70's.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I'm trying to find a movie that has one or more of these things in it, because in my mind they're all related:

Little Kid trying to beat the local tough guy in a Top-spinning combat; buys Asian dagger-rose Top

Mother starts a riot at the local movie theater because they refuse to give out anything but commemorative gravy boats

Kid (maybe the same little kid) spends all summer trying to build a tree fort to defend against scummy other kids, it gets destroyed in a huge boom

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Just to make the challenge a bit more fair, I will measure the punishment based on the response. So you'll only be banned if you don't try.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Gerund posted:

I'm trying to find a movie that has one or more of these things in it, because in my mind they're all related:

Little Kid trying to beat the local tough guy in a Top-spinning combat; buys Asian dagger-rose Top

Mother starts a riot at the local movie theater because they refuse to give out anything but commemorative gravy boats

Kid (maybe the same little kid) spends all summer trying to build a tree fort to defend against scummy other kids, it gets destroyed in a huge boom

The War? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111667/

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Gerund posted:

Pretty sure this is My Summer Story

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Gerund posted:

I cannot parse that sentence. Is that a top with a dagger-rose made in Asian? WHat's a dagger rose?

Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!

Spermando posted:

I watched part of a weird movie on TV a long time ago and I just thought about it today. It was about a middle-aged detective who bought a woman from a woman farm (literally; a farm where naked women are kept in stables like cattle). There were a lot of stablishing shots of said farm, enough to classify the movie as creepy erotica, but after a while, the film goes off on a tangent and revolves around the detective's work. He then takes his mail-order wife to a fair, and I can't remember a whole lot more. The movie was probably made in the late 60's/70's.

Bit of a long shot, is this Prime Cut? Lee Marvin is the middle-aged detective, and I think he rescues Sissy Spacek from the slave ranch.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069121/

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Captain Equinox posted:

Bit of a long shot, is this Prime Cut? Lee Marvin is the middle-aged detective, and I think he rescues Sissy Spacek from the slave ranch.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069121/

I was just about to suggest this. He is not a detective though, he is a mob enforcer, but the movie does have drugged up naked women in corrals being sold like cattle and some action scenes at the local fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Alright, so, I'm looking for this movie about lava that's apparently overtaking a major city (like New York or LA). I remember seeing it when I was younger, about ten years ago (or around there), on VHS in the USA. They built up walls to redirect the lava along the city, or something, but there was too much and it was going to go over the edge/into the city center and kill everyone.

The most memorable scene I remember is when a firefighter stepped out of his truck (he might've been saving a little girl), stepped in the lava, and then began melting from the feet down. He screamed as his friends watched. I remember it being ridiculous because his friends were right there and could've easily grabbed him to safety. I'm not even sure if lava works that way.

There are about a thousand volcano movies but I'm pretty sure the 'firefighter stepping in lava and meeeeeeelting' scene is unique enough for someone who's seen it to remember.