Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

That was my exact thought too when reading it but I didn't go with it because I don't really see it as a time shift; more just a drugging.

Then I thought about it being Another Earth and realized that probably isn't it either.

They both have a tinge of reality shift to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
No I don't think it's either of those :( But Upstream Colour sounds close! I'm also getting a sense that it was sort of 'light', not a heavy drama. At least I think so.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Opal posted:

I'm trying to find the name of this film I found a while back, but forgot all about until now. The problem is it sounded rather complicated and I have only a vague recollection of the plot so I don't know how helpful this will be. Basically it sounded like a character drama but with some kind of mystery or parallel worlds twist. I think it could possibly have been about a couple whose reality shifts each day or something? I think it was fairly new, at least with the last few years but possibly from 2014 or 2013.

Anyone?

This could be a bad description and mis-remembering of Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1307068/?ref_=nv_sr_1).

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.

fenix down posted:

This reminds me an episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents I saw many years ago, where the wife poisons the husband.

Glass Joe posted:

That episode was titled "Jonathan" and was from 1956.

Just finished watching every Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode I could find with "poison" in the plot description (including "Jonathon"), couldn't find the scene. :(

Thinking about it a bit harder, I think the woman was middle aged or slightly older. She had very distinctive eyes, so it wouldn't surprise me if she turned out to be played by Bette Davis. I can't find the scene in any Bette Davis movies though, so it might be a look alike.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

fenix down posted:

This reminds me an episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents I saw many years ago, where the wife poisons the husband.

Was I dreaming or was there an Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode where a wife murders a husband by bludgeoning him with a frozen leg of lamb or something, then she thaws and roasts it and eats the murder weapon for dinner, while also serving it to the cops investigating the crime?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Zwabu posted:

Was I dreaming or was there an Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode where a wife murders a husband by bludgeoning him with a frozen leg of lamb or something, then she thaws and roasts it and eats the murder weapon for dinner, while also serving it to the cops investigating the crime?
That's Tales of the Unexpected - Lamb to the Slaughter. It's from a Roald Dahl story.

Ed: And now I look it was an AHP episode too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jake Snake posted:

2. Only saw a clip of this movie on a show I watched nearly ten years ago. Black and white film, probably 1940's to early 60's. A woman watches a man struggling down the stairs into the room where she's standing. He's clutching his chest like he's having a heart attack, or maybe he's been poisoned. The medicine/antidote is right next to the woman, but she does not move an inch to help him. She just watches him stumbling through the room to get it. I think he finally collapses and dies.

I remember the woman being very poised throughout the whole thing. I think the narrator of the show made a comment about her cold piercing glare or whatever.

Might be House on Telegraph Hill, details are a little different, but pretty close. Husband poisons the wife's juice, but she switches glasses with him before drinking. However it's the nanny who denies him the antidote (I think she actually just unplugs all the phones so they can't get an ambulance) because she realized he tried to kill the kid a while back. Has some great location and rear projection shots of San Francisco.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Here’s what I remember: Early to mid-90s American TV show, half-hour (hour?) scripted teen drama/action/comedy, broadcast on networks, late on Saturday mornings. (I remember the broadcast day and time because it aired, in my market, right before or after WWE Superstars.)

The show revolved around a “league” of adolescent martial artists. Much of the show dealt with their backstage interactions and solving teenage problems, and I want to say that every week featured a “match” between two of the characters. Think Saved by the Bell crossed with teenage wrasslin’/MMA fighters.

Anyone recall this show? I’ve been wracking my brain over it for a couple days now.

After a bit of research, I figured out the show was WMAC Masters, and I misremembered a lot about that show. Which is probably for the best.

Naked Man Punch fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 21, 2014

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Discospawn posted:

This could be a bad description and mis-remembering of Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1307068/?ref_=nv_sr_1).

Thanks for making the effort but it's not that one either. God this is driving me nuts.

edit:

otoh this

led me to this:

http://www.tiff.net/festivals/thefestival/filmlisting/shorts-cuts-international-programme-1/everything-everything-everything

which seems to own.

Opal fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 24, 2014

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm having trouble remembering a movie my friend recommended to me recently. It was a 60's movie (I think) and I think it was a spy movie, set in the Cold War I believe. I keep wanting to say the title was The Man Who Was Winter, but I know I'm just getting it mixed up with Man Who Was Thursday. The title The Man Who Came From Winter also seems to pop up in my mind, but that isn't it either. It's really been bugging me the past day or so, so thanks in advance if you can help me.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I'm having trouble remembering a movie my friend recommended to me recently. It was a 60's movie (I think) and I think it was a spy movie, set in the Cold War I believe. I keep wanting to say the title was The Man Who Was Winter, but I know I'm just getting it mixed up with Man Who Was Thursday. The title The Man Who Came From Winter also seems to pop up in my mind, but that isn't it either. It's really been bugging me the past day or so, so thanks in advance if you can help me.

The Spy who Came in from the cold?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
That's the one! I kept getting the title twisted up in my head with The Man Who Was Thursday for whatever reason. Thanks!

The Big Lebowski
Nov 13, 2000

Pillbug
Alright, I have two more that I would love some help with.

The first is a documentary about a rural Japanese village and its relationship with whatever river runs through it. I saw it around 2005 and it didn't seem old at the time. I remember a bit about how the villagers would clean their dishes by leaving them in these pits in their houses where the fish could get at them. I know there was a bit about some pickled fish that they ate and I believe a segment about giant newts but I might be remembering that bit from another documentary.

The second movie is going to be tough as my memory is really foggy, I was pretty young, and it was late at night. Hell, there's a non-zero chance it was just a nightmare.

It was a horror movie from somewhere in the '85-'95 range, probably near 1990, anyway. All I can remember is a man finding a ladder down to a sub basement hidden in maybe a furnace or boiler. In the sub basement there was a pit with one or more screaming bloody or skinless zombies stuck in it.

Google isn't helping with either of these and I'd appreciate some help.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
Stephen King's Graveyard Shift maybe?

The Big Lebowski
Nov 13, 2000

Pillbug
No, it sounded like it at first, but it wasn't a bat-monster. It was like a blood covered human. I think someone was resurrecting dead people possibly. I think there were multiple 'zombies' each in their own pit. The pit(s) were like brick walled shafts and fairly deep.

drat, sorry this is so vague. I only brought it up because I saw a ton of horror movies at a really young age and I wasn't easily spooked. This movie terrified me and I'd love to revisit it to see why.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
The only thing I can think of with the bloody, skinless resurrected bodies is the Hellraiser movies. I don't remember any kind of pit/shaft holding any of them though but there were a lot of sequels I never saw.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

The Big Lebowski posted:

It was a horror movie from somewhere in the '85-'95 range, probably near 1990, anyway. All I can remember is a man finding a ladder down to a sub basement hidden in maybe a furnace or boiler. In the sub basement there was a pit with one or more screaming bloody or skinless zombies stuck in it.

Shatterbrain/The Resurrected?

The Big Lebowski
Nov 13, 2000

Pillbug

I looked up the plot to this and I'm almost positive you're right. Thanks!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

The Big Lebowski posted:

Alright, I have two more that I would love some help with.

The first is a documentary about a rural Japanese village and its relationship with whatever river runs through it. I saw it around 2005 and it didn't seem old at the time. I remember a bit about how the villagers would clean their dishes by leaving them in these pits in their houses where the fish could get at them. I know there was a bit about some pickled fish that they ate and I believe a segment about giant newts but I might be remembering that bit from another documentary.

Satoyama?

The Big Lebowski
Nov 13, 2000

Pillbug

That's the one. Thanks everyone, I've been trying to find these on and off for a couple years.

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
:qq: WHINY SHITHEAD :qq:
*drops mic*
This has been driving me insane.

It's a bad sci fi movie from the 80's or 70's, which I watched on VHS. I think it was set in a space colony or in some wasteland. There were people fighting humanoid aliens (perhaps for resources), the "aliens" were pretty much just people in metal masks. A woman was taken captive by a masked alien who told her that the pollution levels on their own home planet has started to make their flesh wither away. And then he removed his mask. The face underneath was maggot infested rotten flesh.

Scared the bejeesus out of me as a kid back in around 82-84. Any ideas?

QuasarIntheMist
Sep 4, 2011

Saw a box at the video store a couple weeks back and haven't been able to find it again--it's about four guys on a mining expedition who have to survive in someplace like Siberia. I would've sworn it was on one of the shelves for famous Russian directors, but maybe it's German or something instead.

DirtyNooby
Sep 19, 2014
This one has been haunting me for over ten years now, please help me identify.

I saw the film on the Dutch version of premium tv channel Canal+, some 12 years ago. I'd say the film was probably made somewhere around the year 2000.

The plot revolves around a person with an intellectual disability in a hospital/nursing home/research center. I'm for some reason remembering he had Down Syndrome but I think it was probably a different intellectual disorder. A medicine had been discovered and tested on rats that would fix his condition, and the protagonist is used for human testing. His intellectual capabilities grow to average or even well beyond, I can't really recall. The researcher/nurse/female who is always with him builds up a really strong relationship with him and they even fall in love. But then it turns out the medicine he is taking is killing the test-rats (I seem to recall brain cancer being the cause; almost certain it had to do with the brain) and he has to say goodbye to the people he just got to know intellectually as he is taken off the medicine and reverts to his old intellectual capabilities, not really recognising the woman he fell in love with anymore.

I felt the film seemed pretty well filmed and produced, I remember it looking like a mainstream film and was surprised/annoyed not being able to find it anywhere. Any ideas?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DirtyNooby posted:

I saw the film on the Dutch version of premium tv channel Canal+, some 12 years ago. I'd say the film was probably made somewhere around the year 2000.

The plot revolves around a person with an intellectual disability in a hospital/nursing home/research center. I'm for some reason remembering he had Down Syndrome but I think it was probably a different intellectual disorder. A medicine had been discovered and tested on rats that would fix his condition, and the protagonist is used for human testing. His intellectual capabilities grow to average or even well beyond, I can't really recall. The researcher/nurse/female who is always with him builds up a really strong relationship with him and they even fall in love. But then it turns out the medicine he is taking is killing the test-rats (I seem to recall brain cancer being the cause; almost certain it had to do with the brain) and he has to say goodbye to the people he just got to know intellectually as he is taken off the medicine and reverts to his old intellectual capabilities, not really recognising the woman he fell in love with anymore.

I felt the film seemed pretty well filmed and produced, I remember it looking like a mainstream film and was surprised/annoyed not being able to find it anywhere. Any ideas?

I don't know if it was a movie, but it's definitely an adaptation of Flowers For Algernon.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

DirtyNooby posted:

Jedit posted:

I don't know if it was a movie, but it's definitely an adaptation of Flowers For Algernon.

Charly.

I highly recommend both the book and the film.

Edit: It didn't kill the rats, it's just that the effect was transient.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Sounds like he saw a newer adaptation than that. There's one from 2000, seems likely that's the one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0210044/

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?
I remember watching this movie around 1995 but I can't recall if it was made around that year. All I remember is the very end scene having a beach filled with Karate students with the song "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" playing overtop (I'm quite positive it had that song).

Opal
May 10, 2005

Opal posted:

I'm trying to find the name of this film I found a while back, but forgot all about until now. The problem is it sounded rather complicated and I have only a vague recollection of the plot so I don't know how helpful this will be. Basically it sounded like a character drama but with some kind of mystery or parallel worlds twist. I think it could possibly have been about a couple whose reality shifts each day or something? I think it was fairly new, at least with the last few years but possibly from 2014 or 2013.

Anyone?

I found it! It's called The One I Love. I decided against reading too much about it though, as it looks like a film that benefits from knowing as little about it as possible.

DirtyNooby
Sep 19, 2014

Daveski posted:

Sounds like he saw a newer adaptation than that. There's one from 2000, seems likely that's the one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0210044/

I found the film and after 10 seconds I knew this was indeed the one!

Thank you both for ending a decade of torment

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to find a low budget horror movie that I saw about eight years ago.

I only caught the ending, but it seems to have taken place in a small town out west (there was a lot of sand), and I guess a lot of people had been killed by this monster that looks like the Grim Reaper. I guess the main characters were trying to protect this child the whole time, a little boy (about 10 years old), but in a big twist, the child had been controlling the monster the whole time!

I've never been able to find a movie even vaguely like this. Does anyone recognize it?

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

I only caught the ending, but it seems to have taken place in a small town out west (there was a lot of sand), and I guess a lot of people had been killed by this monster that looks like the Grim Reaper. I guess the main characters were trying to protect this child the whole time, a little boy (about 10 years old), but in a big twist, the child had been controlling the monster the whole time!

I've never been able to find a movie even vaguely like this. Does anyone recognize it?

This reminds me of Identity. Not sure if I would call it a Monster or that the folks were trying to protect the little boy. But they all get trapped at this motel and people keep dying. Turns out the little boy is the cause of it all...and that it all occurs in the head of a mental patient.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Same idea, but completely different movie.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

I have this fragment in my head and it's driving me nuts trying to figure out where it's from.

The most memoral part is the sentence "Some respect, that's all I wanted," or alternatively, "that's all I wanted, some respect."

It's uttered by a sorta ineffectual badguy (A clueless/impotent mayor/boss-person who got their hands on the powerful McGuffin). Threatening people and demanding something something. Then the real villain appears to give him what he wants, while everyone looks on in shocked/horrified silence. It's pretty clear that he's going to die for it.

Hopefully someone can relate to that. A brief googling of the phrase didn't help me.

DearYou41
Jun 14, 2013

Aeble posted:

I have this fragment in my head and it's driving me nuts trying to figure out where it's from.

The most memoral part is the sentence "Some respect, that's all I wanted," or alternatively, "that's all I wanted, some respect."

It's uttered by a sorta ineffectual badguy (A clueless/impotent mayor/boss-person who got their hands on the powerful McGuffin). Threatening people and demanding something something. Then the real villain appears to give him what he wants, while everyone looks on in shocked/horrified silence. It's pretty clear that he's going to die for it.

Hopefully someone can relate to that. A brief googling of the phrase didn't help me.

You might be thinking of the scene where Viserys gets his crown in Game of Thrones.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

DearYou41 posted:

You might be thinking of the scene where Viserys gets his crown in Game of Thrones.

That might actually be it, yes!

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
Here's probably an easy one. Arty movie from the 70s, approximately. Young artist and his model/lover live together. Can't remember too many details, but one scene with some not-so-subtle foreshadowing, he's posing her for a painting lying on her back with flowers strewn all over her. They finish the painting, he picks up the flowers and viola, they were full of maggoty looking bugs that are now all over her. Oh, and another scene, they're walking by a hedge and he leaps over a ~8 ft. hedge to surprise her.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Franchescanado posted:

It sounds like Stephen King's The Regulators or Desperation (I always get those two mixed up) but I didn't think any movies were made from those.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

When I was young, one night I watched a Ghost movie on television that I remember loving. I believe it was in black and white. I believe it was also a comedy. It may have been on whatever Turner Classic movies style station that was running in the early 90's

It involved a girl who was either a ghost or was cared for by ghosts. Her father at least was I believe a ghost. Her suitor was a boxer I believe. There was either a sword fight in a billiards room or a pool cue fight. The hero won a boxing match at the end of the movie with the help of the ghosts, there were what I seem to remember as negative scratches used to represent the ghost punching for the boxer, this makes me think the boxer may not have been very good. I believe he dies in a car crash at the end and joins the ghosts and his love.

The movie had something of a haunted house atmosphere. The ghost's or at least some of them wanted to kill the protagonist I think, they were not all that accepting of him as the love for their young (ghostly?) daughter. I think I remember some old school invisible effects involving objects moving around to imply ghosts.

It's funny, I have searched for this movie on and off for years, seen a lot of fun ghost movies for my trouble, and learned far more about Ali vs. Liston II than I ever thought to seek out.

Edit:

vv I don't think it was that, thanks for the suggestion though, but looking at the synopsis at IMDB and the trailer, it just doesn't hit the mark. I am going to add a little more that I seem to remember above. I hope I am not conflating more than one movie, I dont think I am, but I was maybe 8 when I saw this. vv

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 4, 2014

Starblind
Apr 4, 2007

Encomium in colour

remusclaw posted:

When I was young, one night I watched a Ghost movie on television that I remember loving. I believe it was in black and white. I believe it was also a comedy. It may have been on whatever Turner Classic movies style station that was running in the early 90's

It involved a girl who was either a ghost or was cared for by ghosts. Her father at least was I believe a ghost. Her suitor was a boxer I believe. There was either a sword fight in a billiards room or a pool cue fight. The hero won a boxing match at the end of the movie with the help of the ghosts, there were what I seem to remember as negative scratches used to represent the ghost punching for the boxer. I believe he dies in a car crash at the end and joins the ghosts and his love.

Sounds like Here Comes Mr. Jordan, though I don't remember that one ending with a car crash. It's been awhile though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Ok so time period was around 1995, it was a tv movie played on chicago channel wciu. The film centered around a black family, possibly also from chicago, but they originally hailed from a town that I thought what named sweet clover or sweet water, and the grandmother was always talking about going back there.

It might have been one of those "see a family go through hardships but get stronger over the years" type of films, possibly with a christmas theme because thats when I remember it playing.

I tried searching for sweet clover/water already but couldn't find it.