Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starblind
Apr 4, 2007

Encomium in colour

madpanda posted:

Ok so time period was around 1995, it was a tv movie played on chicago channel wciu. The film centered around a black family, possibly also from chicago, but they originally hailed from a town that I thought what named sweet clover or sweet water, and the grandmother was always talking about going back there.

It might have been one of those "see a family go through hardships but get stronger over the years" type of films, possibly with a christmas theme because thats when I remember it playing.

I tried searching for sweet clover/water already but couldn't find it.

That was A Dream for Christmas. Beah Richards (known for Guess Who's Coming to Dinner) played the grandmother, and Sweet Clover, Arkansas is apparently a real place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
A friend wanted to recommend me a film but could not remember the name, so these details are sketchy and second hand.

There is a guy living off the grid, doing odd jobs and handyman stuff in a small town. He meets a girl who finds out he has written a novel, or maybe several books, and encourages him to publish or becomes something like his agent. She is a bit psycho, at one point she maybe stabs a publisher for not being interested in his work.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
lovely little town in the southwest is attacked by bikers. Town, a dude, and possibly the dude's daughter is saved by a bad rear end biker chick who is credited as "The Stranger"

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Volume posted:

lovely little town in the southwest is attacked by bikers. Town, a dude, and possibly the dude's daughter is saved by a bad rear end biker chick who is credited as "The Stranger"

Titled, oddly enough, "The Stranger".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111299/

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Hi my name is Doxylamine Succinate, I will be serving you tonight
I'm 90% sure this is a movie, its something post apocalyptic in a desert.

Somewhere along the plot they're trying to hijack a supply truck/road train but they're automated and don't stop for poo poo, they tried to use their bikes first and the truck ran through them.
The next thing they see is a cow on the road and the truck stops for it, so they the next thing they do is hijack it with one of them standing in front of it, or maybe they were trying to sneak into the city?

I'm remembering this from something shot in the 80's/90's, so I'm hoping someone knows what I'm talking about?

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Dunno myself, but according to this yahoo answers thread the scene you're remembering is from the very short-lived tv show The Highwayman.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm trying to remember a scene where a man and a little girl are travelling, and they meet redneck mechanic with a shirt that says "Roy" (I think it was Roy). The man says, "Say hello to Roy", and the redneck says "My name's not Roy, Roy is my brother. I killed him." The kid asks, "why did you kill him?" "I needed a clean shirt."

Does anyone know what movie I'm thinking of? I would have seen it as a kid, probably over ten years ago.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I'm trying to remember a scene where a man and a little girl are travelling, and they meet redneck mechanic with a shirt that says "Roy" (I think it was Roy). The man says, "Say hello to Roy", and the redneck says "My name's not Roy, Roy is my brother. I killed him." The kid asks, "why did you kill him?" "I needed a clean shirt."

Does anyone know what movie I'm thinking of? I would have seen it as a kid, probably over ten years ago.

A Simple Wish.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Origami Dali posted:

A Simple Wish.

You're right, thank you! I thought it was Matilda for some reason, and it has the same actor in it.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"

Whilst farting I posted:

I remember seeing a film on USA Up All Night some time in the early 90s about some kind of monster loose on an island, and there was a small crew of people that managed to get to it without realizing there was a problem. The only scene I remember distinctly is with one or two people entering a seemingly-empty laboratory and going through a door, and we see the monster attack them from a first-person perspective, but not the aftermath. I'm pretty sure it was some kind of genetic mutation that killed the original inhabitants, but that's all I've got.
This is from way back on page 23, but it sounds a lot like the NBC made for TV movie Danger Island starring Kathy Ireland. Apparently it was later renamed The Presence.

B.H. Facials fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Oct 13, 2014

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
So, this was an animated movie from back when I was like six years old -- At least I'm pretty sure that it was a movie. This was in the mid to late 80's, though the movie might have been produced before that. I think it was either European or Japanese. The movie was about a young girl who couldn't drown. When drowning, her hair changes color but she's otherwise fine. I vaguely remember a scene when they want to prove in court that the girl can't be drowned, so they do it in the old witch hunt fashion and drown her in a tank during the court session. The whole thing either happens in Atlantis or the girl came from Atlantis. Her grampa knew about it because he's some rear end in a top hat who dropped her in the canals while she was still a baby, during a boat collision or something. That's pretty much the entirety of what I remember of it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Today my dad was describing one of the earliest movies he remembers seeing as a kid. He said it was called "Walk Home Slow" or "Slow Walk Home", something like that. It featured a hunchback and a donkey, and maybe a third person, walking across the desert. The hunchback would sleep alongside the donkey, and at one point kills it and eats it. I think they were walking back from a bank heist or something?

My dad was born in 1949 and the movie was black and white. He hasn't seen it since he was a small child and said "it probably doesn't exist anymore", so I told him I would look for it. Some of the details could be way off.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I need to know what movie this is from

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Volume posted:

I need to know what movie this is from

Rec 2

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln

wa27 posted:

Today my dad was describing one of the earliest movies he remembers seeing as a kid. He said it was called "Walk Home Slow" or "Slow Walk Home", something like that. It featured a hunchback and a donkey, and maybe a third person, walking across the desert. The hunchback would sleep alongside the donkey, and at one point kills it and eats it. I think they were walking back from a bank heist or something?

My dad was born in 1949 and the movie was black and white. He hasn't seen it since he was a small child and said "it probably doesn't exist anymore", so I told him I would look for it. Some of the details could be way off.

Sounds like Run Home, Slow but it's from 1965 so your dad would have been a teenager.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The movie I'm trying to remember is a horror thriller from the early or mid 90's. It's about a serial killer who kidnaps women and buries them alive. The protagonist's wife may or may not have been a victim, and he sets out to find the truth. He eventually catches up with the serial killer and the movie ends with the protagonist getting drugged and buried alive

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The movie I'm trying to remember is a horror thriller from the early or mid 90's. It's about a serial killer who kidnaps women and buries them alive. The protagonist's wife may or may not have been a victim, and he sets out to find the truth. He eventually catches up with the serial killer and the movie ends with the protagonist getting drugged and buried alive

Could this be The Vanishing?

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Your Gay Uncle posted:

It's the Vanishing but make sure to watch the 1988 Dutch original. Not the lovely 1993 remake.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

ProfessorMurder posted:

Sounds like Run Home, Slow but it's from 1965 so your dad would have been a teenager.

Yep, that's got to be it! The date isn't that surprising since he was still living in his hometown at that point, and it's been 50 years so I'm sure his memory is fuzzy.

It looks like a pretty weird movie, judging by the only clip I could find.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u14E_IgFi2U

Steampunk_Spoon
May 18, 2009

Gimbal lock posted:

So, this was an animated movie from back when I was like six years old -- At least I'm pretty sure that it was a movie. This was in the mid to late 80's, though the movie might have been produced before that. I think it was either European or Japanese. The movie was about a young girl who couldn't drown. When drowning, her hair changes color but she's otherwise fine. I vaguely remember a scene when they want to prove in court that the girl can't be drowned, so they do it in the old witch hunt fashion and drown her in a tank during the court session. The whole thing either happens in Atlantis or the girl came from Atlantis. Her grampa knew about it because he's some rear end in a top hat who dropped her in the canals while she was still a baby, during a boat collision or something. That's pretty much the entirety of what I remember of it.

I'd love to find out what this movie is called too, i used to have this movie on VHS when i was a kid but the tape was damaged and i never actually got to see the ending. The movie had a sci-fi setting, and apart from the already mentioned court scene i also remember the characters travelling in a manta-ray shaped submarine and getting attacked by an actual giant manta-ray.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Gimbal lock posted:

I did some googling and think this might be it? Elfie from 1986.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=1206

Steampunk_Spoon
May 18, 2009
Seven year old me thanks you :3:

There is a french dub with english subtitles on youtube, so i guess i finally get to see how this ends too!

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mouser.. posted:

It's the Vanishing but make sure to watch the 1988 Dutch original. Not the lovely 1993 remake.

Thank you both very much! I had no idea it was a remake, I remember thinking the american version I saw was pretty decent, what makes it inferior? Are there any major differences between the two?

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

wa27 posted:

I did some googling and think this might be it? Elfie from 1986.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=1206

Hooray, this is it! Many thanks!

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Thank you both very much! I had no idea it was a remake, I remember thinking the american version I saw was pretty decent, what makes it inferior? Are there any major differences between the two?

Yes, the original has a much darker ending, where the main character is left to die while the bad guy sits at home and reads about the main character disappearing. The remake is your typical Hollywood junk where Sutherland's character wakes up at the last minute and kills the bad guy. So it takes what made the original gutsy and neuters it. Interestingly, the same director did both films. I don't really remember if there are any other major differences since it's been ages since I saw the remake.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Dialogue from (I think) a movie that's been rattling around in my head the last few days, hope someone can id it so it goes away.

The scene is a young woman is telling a somewhat older man in a desperate way "I love you, I love you" while clinging to him and kissing him, and he kind of stoically says "You hardly know me" while trying to un-cling himself.

I think the younger woman's husband was having an affair, possibly with that guy's wife?

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

There are several scenes like that in Man of the Century.

Even if this isn't the movie you were looking for, watch it anyway. It's really good.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

MrGreenShirt posted:

There are several scenes like that in Man of the Century.

Even if this isn't the movie you were looking for, watch it anyway. It's really good.

Not it unfortunately. I feel like the older man was Harrison Ford'ish

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

- A french (?) black and white movie about a medieval nun being possessed by Satan.
- A couple is doing some sort of crime involving adoptions (kidnapping babies and setting them for adoption?). The lady gets pregnant and tells the doctor they can't have the baby and if he knows any adoption agencies. Might be a straight-to-TV movie.
- A spanish horror movie about a group of kids being stalked by a violin-playing demon. At some point, the demon kills a dog and sticks the corpse in a microwave oven. The demon is rendered in lovely CGI.

And in case TV shows are kosher,
- A late nineties/early 2000's sitcom about a kid who lives with his older cousin because his parents divorced or something like that. The cousin is implied to suffer from some kind of behavioral disorder, and enjoyed wrestling and collecting people's hair in jars. :wtc:

I trust your knowledge, goons!

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Pentaro posted:

- A french (?) black and white movie about a medieval nun being possessed by Satan.

Possibly Mother Joan of the Angels, a Polish film that won the Cannes in 1961. Based on the Loudun Possessions. Ken Russel's The Devils is based on the same incident. It's a fascinating story and both of the films are massively worth watching.

Although I guess you said medieval and the Loudon stuff was 1600s.

moller fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 18, 2014

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Pentaro posted:

And in case TV shows are kosher,
- A late nineties/early 2000's sitcom about a kid who lives with his older cousin because his parents divorced or something like that. The cousin is implied to suffer from some kind of behavioral disorder, and enjoyed wrestling and collecting people's hair in jars. :wtc:

I trust your knowledge, goons!

This is "Tucker".

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I vaguely remember some movie I saw a couple times as a kid on the Disney channel maybe, about some boy and his grandpa(?) climbing some mountain next to the village they lived in. It looked like it was from the 60's and filmed in Germany or Italy or something. I don't think there were any bad guys or anything, the climax was just them reaching the peak.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

effectual posted:

I vaguely remember some movie I saw a couple times as a kid on the Disney channel maybe, about some boy and his grandpa(?) climbing some mountain next to the village they lived in. It looked like it was from the 60's and filmed in Germany or Italy or something. I don't think there were any bad guys or anything, the climax was just them reaching the peak.

Probably Third Man on the Mountain.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

moller posted:

Possibly Mother Joan of the Angels, a Polish film that won the Cannes in 1961. Based on the Loudun Possessions. Ken Russel's The Devils is based on the same incident. It's a fascinating story and both of the films are massively worth watching.

Although I guess you said medieval and the Loudon stuff was 1600s.

This is it! My guess was off by a couple of centuries, haha.

Origami Dali posted:

This is "Tucker".
Yes! Now let's see how has this aged (probably not that well)

Thank you both! :woop:

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I wanna watch this episode because I agree with the sentiment entirely and I loved this series so... which Gamera film is this?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Frostwerks posted:

I wanna watch this episode because I agree with the sentiment entirely and I loved this series so... which Gamera film is this?

Gamera vs. Guiron

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
So I'm looking for a movie that has a scene where a dude gets sucked down a toilet rear end-first. For some reason, I seem to remember the guy looking a lot like Kel Mitchell's character in Good Burger. Also, I suspect that it might been a parody of that one scene in the remake of The Blob where the one guy gets pulled down a sink drain. It definitely seemed pretty horror-comedic from what I remember of it.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I'm trying to remember the name of a reasonably obscure but recent (1990s to 2013, I think) uk/British horror movie, that I've only seen the trailer for. I've had trouble googling to refind it.

It focuses on a dysfunctional and decaying aristocratic family with a severely mentally ill son and a mother who is bed ridden. The father has to travel away from the manor house to conduct some urgent business and the son, who has been desperately begging to be able to take care of his mother, locks out the caretaker and sabotages the phone. From then on things get worse as he comes up with various home-made and insane ways of caring for his mother, and she attempts to escape and people try to find out what is going wrong.

Very unforgettable performance on the performer playing the son.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

fez_machine posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a reasonably obscure but recent (1990s to 2013, I think) uk/British horror movie, that I've only seen the trailer for. I've had trouble googling to refind it.

It focuses on a dysfunctional and decaying aristocratic family with a severely mentally ill son and a mother who is bed ridden. The father has to travel away from the manor house to conduct some urgent business and the son, who has been desperately begging to be able to take care of his mother, locks out the caretaker and sabotages the phone. From then on things get worse as he comes up with various home-made and insane ways of caring for his mother, and she attempts to escape and people try to find out what is going wrong.

Very unforgettable performance on the performer playing the son.

I think it's The Living and the Dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Yes! That's it. I think the title and the poster image made me slide over what it was when I was looking around.