Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I don't even know if this was from a movie, but I'm trying to place a quote that was something along the lines of, "He finally found his weakness, somebody that knows something about anything". It was delivered sarcastically - like another drat quote that I can't place where somebody asks somebody else how they know something and they reply, "They hide that knowledge in these things they call books."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

SkunkDuster posted:

I don't even know if this was from a movie, but I'm trying to place a quote that was something along the lines of, "He finally found his weakness, somebody that knows something about anything". It was delivered sarcastically - like another drat quote that I can't place where somebody asks somebody else how they know something and they reply, "They hide that knowledge in these things they call books."

I can't remember who but it was a burn on someone on the forums, might have even been a red text. Maybe check the quotes thread in PYF

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

SkunkDuster posted:

The second one is Oliver Platt in Lake Placid

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I remember watching a movie when I was young, in the early 90s. It had an imaginary friend to some kid. He was french and dressed in black with a beret and cigarette. I remember some scene the imaginary friend gets shot so maybe he was an outlaw? I googled and I don't think it's "Bogus".

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Cloak and Dagger

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Likely from the 70s-80s, the only scene I remember is that there's a sort of group of outcasts (high school?), and one of them gets into a fight in a parking lot with a bunch of jocks/thugs, and he does really well, maybe he wins or stalemates with them. This is treated as a normal or expected outcome.

It may be a very famous movie for all I know so don't limit it to the obscure, I just remember that scene in particular.

E - It wasnt a fancy fight scene, it was one of those gritty 80s 'They Live'/'The Warriors' type of fight, just a bunch of guys in denim throwing haymakers.

Supreme Allah fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 12, 2014

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Does anyone recall that episode of Sherlock where John gets him hooked on trashy television? It's such a little clip and I cannot remember the context of it but I kinda wanna watch it sober.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Frostwerks posted:

Does anyone recall that episode of Sherlock where John gets him hooked on trashy television? It's such a little clip and I cannot remember the context of it but I kinda wanna watch it sober.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgjM_2RJzFk That clip?

According to the helpful comments its
"1:18:13 from ep 3 of season 1"

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Two guys are sitting in a bar, and they start singing Space Oddity together. When they get to the instrumental breakdown, they start making the guitar noises themselves: "Bam bah-bam bah-bum!" Clap Clap! And then the bartender interrupts them telling them to stop.

Where is this from? Is this a figment of my imagination?

Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!

Franchescanado posted:

Where is this from? Is this a figment of my imagination?

Might be this scene from Mr. Deeds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDDVhRaV3iE

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

I think you're right! Man, memory's a funny thing.

BlastYouVileWoman
Sep 26, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Having trouble with a movie: Asian movie from late 2000s, about a boy who gets dropped at his Grandfather's place in a rural village. During a local festival, the boy is named as a sort of spiritual defender of the town for the next year. Meanwhile a demon in Hell unleashes a swarm of imprisoned evil spirits and captures and tortures the benevolent spirits. Some of the good spirits reach the boy, tell him he's the world's only hope. It rips. Please help me.

SCARYJEINFELD
Oct 30, 2012

It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.
I've never actually seen this movie but I believe I've read about it on this board and it sounds absurd and great: it's a japanese movie written and filmed chronologically by the director. So if the director thought an actor was doing a bad job or something he would just kill the character off. I also want to say the premise was really absurd and japanese-y

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

go home n pet cat posted:

Having trouble with a movie: Asian movie from late 2000s, about a boy who gets dropped at his Grandfather's place in a rural village. During a local festival, the boy is named as a sort of spiritual defender of the town for the next year. Meanwhile a demon in Hell unleashes a swarm of imprisoned evil spirits and captures and tortures the benevolent spirits. Some of the good spirits reach the boy, tell him he's the world's only hope. It rips. Please help me.

Takashi Miike's The Great Yokai War?

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.
Okay, here's a little low-budget suspense/thriller kind of a thing that I think would be from the 1990s or early 2000s.

A group of seven or eight people wake up in a dungeon-like room, having been mysteriously kidnapped. None of them know any of the others. Yeah, one of those. But stick with me. Their captor says they have to figure out why they're there in order to save themselves, and he's going to kill one person each hour until they do (or until he runs out of people to kill, whichever comes first--he probably doesn't care which way it goes).

Each person has one little piece of the puzzle, so their best shot at getting out of this is to calmly and rationally and logically discuss the situation without succumbing to stress and panic and paranoia and the natural dislike some have to others and the urge to throw blame around at one another--in a word, cooperate. So, of course, that right there tells you how things are going to go.

Yeah, it's highly contrived, and overly melodramatic, but, of course, that's the charm of it.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Sounds remarkably similar to a movie I saw once called Nine Dead. It was 2009 though, but it certainly fits the contrived and melodramatic part. I'm pretty sure this was the basic plot to some famous mystery story though, so it's probably a common plot.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Sounds remarkably similar to a movie I saw once called Nine Dead. It was 2009 though, but it certainly fits the contrived and melodramatic part. I'm pretty sure this was the basic plot to some famous mystery story though, so it's probably a common plot.

Actually, that's it! Thank you!

As for being a common plot, yeah. The basic premise is certainly nothing terribly original. But you look for little variations or whatnot to give it some freshness.

Starblind
Apr 4, 2007

Encomium in colour
edit: Nevermind, answered moments ago!

BlastYouVileWoman
Sep 26, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Heck yeah! Thanks buddy

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
I think I saw a trailer for this a couple years ago. Guy gets infected by something and he slowly turns into a deranged killer clown.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Rikimaru posted:

I think I saw a trailer for this a couple years ago. Guy gets infected by something and he slowly turns into a deranged killer clown.

That's similar to an episode of Dexter's Laboratory, I wonder which was inspired by which: http://dexterslab.wikia.com/wiki/The_Laughing

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Rikimaru posted:

It's a 2013 horror film simply titled Clown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OYFp2YbGyg

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...
I rented a movie on VHS in the early 2000s. It was a Japanese horror film, one of the first I saw after the first spate of American remakes started to hit. It was set in a hospital, and had something to do with an infection or quarantine. I remember it devolving into something really kind of surreal and hard to piece together at the end -- but I was also a kid and might've just not followed it very well. I remember green slime factoring in somehow, as well as some regular ol' gore.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
This movie was shown to my Kindergarten class in 1995. We watched it over multiple sessions, so it may have not been a movie at all and actually a show. I don't know.

Anyway. It was meant to teach the alphabet. I'm 85% sure it was puppetry but it could have been a cartoon. The most memorable thing about it was that it had a sort of noir/detective feel, like they were solving some mystery that involved letters. That could have just been one segment/episode but I'm fairly certain the whole thing was like that.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

Frontspac posted:

I rented a movie on VHS in the early 2000s. It was a Japanese horror film, one of the first I saw after the first spate of American remakes started to hit. It was set in a hospital, and had something to do with an infection or quarantine. I remember it devolving into something really kind of surreal and hard to piece together at the end -- but I was also a kid and might've just not followed it very well. I remember green slime factoring in somehow, as well as some regular ol' gore.

Infection (2004)

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Jewel Repetition posted:

This movie was shown to my Kindergarten class in 1995. We watched it over multiple sessions, so it may have not been a movie at all and actually a show. I don't know.

Anyway. It was meant to teach the alphabet. I'm 85% sure it was puppetry but it could have been a cartoon. The most memorable thing about it was that it had a sort of noir/detective feel, like they were solving some mystery that involved letters. That could have just been one segment/episode but I'm fairly certain the whole thing was like that.

You might want to check with TV on this one. There are not very many educational kids movies and if it's a segment with some puppetry, I guarantee it's a TV show (though it may have been edited into a movie).

Try looking up Square One, The Electric Company and Pinwheel for starters.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Jewel Repetition posted:

This is the first guy I thought of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EY5kvGaGlE Sherlock Hemlock.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I saw a preview some time a few months ago about a recent foreign language movie, I want to say I think it was Spanish or something, where a guy goes crazy and locks his wealthy family in their house/estate. It didn't look like horror so much as indieish drama. Does anyone know what film this is?

Thanks.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

hallo spacedog posted:

I saw a preview some time a few months ago about a recent foreign language movie, I want to say I think it was Spanish or something, where a guy goes crazy and locks his wealthy family in their house/estate. It didn't look like horror so much as indieish drama. Does anyone know what film this is?

Thanks.

Dogtooth?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1379182/

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Yessss that's it thank you so much!

Wow... Greek... my memory is awful.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

hallo spacedog posted:

Yessss that's it thank you so much!

Wow... Greek... my memory is awful.

Holy poo poo this was the mother of all hail mary's. :monocle:

Tell me if it was any good, I only saw the trailer as well. :laugh:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

MeLKoR posted:

Holy poo poo this was the mother of all hail mary's. :monocle:

Tell me if it was any good, I only saw the trailer as well. :laugh:

It's phenomenal. Very good. Creepy.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

P sure Dogtooth is still on Netflix Instant.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
This one should be easy, but I'm be thwarted with trying the simple routes.

This past Saturday at just before 7:30 in the morning, I flipped to TCM as they were showing The Great Dictator and I wanted to see if I could catch the last few minutes of it. Instead, what they were showing was a "how to be a good American" short in the vein of MST3K classics.

In this case it was about a corrupt politician who was working with some gangsters to do voter fraud and win a mayoral election. I only caught the last 10 minutes or so but it was packed with a lot of story in that short time. Two detectives find a printing press in some warehouse, print off a copy of a fake ballot, are chased off by goons, one cop is shot and killed, the cops and gangsters have a shootout in another warehouse where the ballots are being kept... In the end everyone gathers in a diner and the cook is complaining about crooked politicians and keeps dodging the question as to whether he votes or not. Finally a very serious looking man at a desk addresses the audience and basically says "Remember, every good American votes."

Tried looking at the TCM website, but I can't find this on the schedule and my tivo only showed "The Great Dictator" and whatever was coming up after.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

CzarChasm posted:

This one should be easy, but I'm be thwarted with trying the simple routes.

This past Saturday at just before 7:30 in the morning, I flipped to TCM as they were showing The Great Dictator and I wanted to see if I could catch the last few minutes of it. Instead, what they were showing was a "how to be a good American" short in the vein of MST3K classics.

In this case it was about a corrupt politician who was working with some gangsters to do voter fraud and win a mayoral election. I only caught the last 10 minutes or so but it was packed with a lot of story in that short time. Two detectives find a printing press in some warehouse, print off a copy of a fake ballot, are chased off by goons, one cop is shot and killed, the cops and gangsters have a shootout in another warehouse where the ballots are being kept... In the end everyone gathers in a diner and the cook is complaining about crooked politicians and keeps dodging the question as to whether he votes or not. Finally a very serious looking man at a desk addresses the audience and basically says "Remember, every good American votes."

Tried looking at the TCM website, but I can't find this on the schedule and my tivo only showed "The Great Dictator" and whatever was coming up after.

You the People http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033285/

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Supreme Allah posted:

Likely from the 70s-80s, the only scene I remember is that there's a sort of group of outcasts (high school?), and one of them gets into a fight in a parking lot with a bunch of jocks/thugs, and he does really well, maybe he wins or stalemates with them. This is treated as a normal or expected outcome.

It may be a very famous movie for all I know so don't limit it to the obscure, I just remember that scene in particular.

E - It wasnt a fancy fight scene, it was one of those gritty 80s 'They Live'/'The Warriors' type of fight, just a bunch of guys in denim throwing haymakers.

This sounds a lot like Rumble Fish or The Outsiders. I'm from the Tulsa area though so old-timey high school outcasts wearing denim and fighting always makes me think of S. E. Hinton.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
I'm trying to remember a movie, I watched it on TV several years ago, but I think it was made in the 60s or 70s. I remembered it tonight because The Trouble with Angels was on and at first I thought it was that movie, but I don't think it was. Had a similar vibe, but I don't remember there wing nuns and the group of friends were more than just two… maybe. I think it was about a group of school girls at a boarding school who all become friends, and it follows their school adventures on into adulthood. I think one of the girls marries well but the husband ends up being a womanizer/abuser, and one of the girls gets a prestigious job… something like that. I think maybe it has a scene where they go to a funeral? I hope someone here knows what I'm talking about because no combination of search terms has gotten me anywhere. :shobon:

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Supreme Allah posted:

There is a scene like this in the Wanderers, when Joey first shows up he fights some of the Fordham Baldies and has a staredown with their leader, Terror, until they decide to back off.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
I'm looking for a body horror movie that I never got to see except for some scenes in a horror movie review show (which I also can't remember, except for the fact that the hostess went and did a special interview on the set of "Beyond Re-Animator".)

The scene I do remember was this sort of Nosferatu guy (can't quite remember him, do remember he was pale and bald and maybe had a cloak) enticing a woman in corset to undress herself, while she expanded into a butterball monstrosity and exploded, leaving him to say "naughty" or whatever. I do remember the setting involved aristocratic families quarreling or something and I also know it's not "Society".

If anyone has any idea what and where I can find this, I'd love to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Brian Yuzna's Faust: Love of the Damned?

Linked for :nws:
http://i.imgur.com/OJO2GFj.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/oHPKvPC.jpg

Edit: If my guess is correct then you were on the right track as Brian Yuzna also did Society!

MrGreenShirt fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 29, 2014