Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Loser
Jan 18, 2003

The Vote for Rory campaign has hit Wikipedia. Check out section four of Rory's page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rory_Fitzpatrick

The only problem I see with that is that it gives credit for the craze to HF Boards and not SA. Or are we trying to remain behind the scenes in all of this for some reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

I'll see what I can do. That Uncle Sam Rory pic on voteforrory.com is hilarious!

lecherousjester posted:

It started here, but HFboards has taken it to an insane level. I think we should just sit back on this one.
Coolio.

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

BTW, I think not voting for the unknown guys is the way to go. Pronger, Lidstrom etc. are going to get in anyway, so they're not going to be competing against Rory for votes. It's guys like Liles and Hannan that are taking votes away from Rory. Throw you votes to the guys that you know are going to be in one way or another.

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

funmanguy posted:

I don't get it.

Ozz-Factor is a Hurricanes fan. Rory's defensive ineptitude lead directly to their game winning goal in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals. I'd imagine Rory is something of a folk-hero to Carolina fans.

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

I voted Havlat a few times earlier, but really isn't he too fragile to be participating in any unnecessary hockey? If I were a Hawks fan I'd keep him in a foam-lined container wrapped in bubble wrap any time he's not out there scoring goals for my team.

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

lecherousjester. It was his idea to begin with. After we kicked it around a bit in the GDT on Saturday he posted threads on the Sabres and Canucks boards over there and when the response seemed positive he put one on the main NHL board. Spread like kerosene-soaked wildfire from there.

Loser fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 21, 2006

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

If you notice they don't have any write-in's listed. Either nobody got enough write-in's to make the leaderboard (which is doubtful, seeing how everybody has been stuffing the box with Rory votes) or they neglected to add the write-in votes for some reason. Hope it's just an oversight, but you never know. :tinfoil:

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

So, what do you guys think. Anyone wanna buy Rory a banner ad?

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

Is the ad actually running? I've been lurking around the forums on and off all day and I've yet to see it. :(

Edit: and AS SOON as I posted that what's the first ad I see? :v:

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

Christmas Ham, J.D. posted:

I really don't mean to be an rear end, but would a little originality kill people around these parts?
Well, they don't pay me to be original.

Hey wait...they don't pay me at all! <:mad:>

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

This is awesome. Saw this posted over at HFBoards. Made by a user called MaximAfinogenov from Canucks.com

http://goingtodallas.ytmnd.com/

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

Besides, using a program won't work unless you can get it to somehow generate and enter a new security image on each ballot. If you don't refresh and enter the new security word each time the votes don't count.

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

You're allowed to vote as many times as you want. In the commercials fathead Messier encourages you to vote often.

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

Lech, you are my loving hero. :patriot:

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

quote:

Now, I have nothing against this guy, but seriously what has he done to deserve to be in the all star game?
Because the internet said so, that's why. <:mad:>

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

Results are only released on Wednesdays. As of last Wednesday he had just under 145,000.

Still a ways to go to catch the leaders, but we're gaining on 'em!

NHL.com posted:

Defensemen
Scott Niedermayer ; Anaheim 329,657
Nicklas Lidstrom ; Detroit 317,373
Chris Pronger Anaheim 219,372
Dion Phaneuf ; Calgary 208,945
*Rory Fitzpatrick ; Vancouver 144,819
Sergei Zubov ; Dallas 110,562
Mattias Ohlund ; Vancouver 110,146
Scott Hannan ; San Jose 108,757
Mathieu Schneider ; Detroit 88,449
Rob Blake ; Los Angeles 83,814
Robyn Regehr ; Calgary 77,205
John-Michael Liles ; Colorado 71,360
Lubomir Visnovsky ; Los Angeles 57,928

Loser fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 9, 2006

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

If Rory makes the All-Star game this year despite being out injured for a good stretch does that make him a candidate for the Lady Byng?

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

eXXon posted:

Uh what? Maybe the Masterton, if that's what you meant. The Lady Byng belongs to Wellwood.
Yeah, I meant the Masterton. :sweatdrop:

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

HOLY gently caress they just showed the leaders for the Western Conference on Versus and Rory is in position to be a starter!!!

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

We had 19,000 the first DAY of this poo poo.

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

Mermelstein posted:

A DODGE NITRO POWERED BY COLDFX!

Is that one of them hybrid deals?

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

They may do something to change the voting for next year but there's no way they'd have the sack to throw out the Rory votes this year. There's already been too much attention drawn to the campaign and there'd be too much of a public outcry if they did try to keep Rory out at this point. It's already far too late to stop this thing now.

Besides, with the amount of press this thing has generated the NHL has to be thrilled about the whole thing, even if they're not allowed to come right out and say so. Even if it makes them the butt of a few jokes, at least they're gaining some kind of national attention in the US for the first time since the Gretzky/Tocchet gambling scandal.

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

NHL.com posted:

The English tried to do that about 200 years ago and our boys in Philly came up with the original VoteForRory.com, otherwise known as the Declaration of Independence.
This has got to be the best line to come out of the media coverage for this thing so far.

:patriot:

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

Philly posted:

Aside from the fact that there's another vancouver rep most likely in the game now :argh:
Rory represents all of us! :)

(and unless Luongo gets voted in as a starter he might be the only Vancouver rep at the game :ssh: )

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

I remember the Nolan called shot for two reasons. First, it was against Hasek when Hasek was a Sabre, and the best goaltender in the League. Second, it was in the intro to NHL '98.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weLSNjpoMX8

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Only in by 1500 votes...gotta keep it up.

Well, considering the fact that Rory had about 100,000 more votes in the past week than any of the other top 5 defensemen in the West, I'd say we're in pretty good shape. As long as the voters don't get totally complacent and stop voting altogether we should be fine. If anything the added attention should show some of the doubters that this actually can happen and maybe get some new people on board.

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

drat it, Rory will do what the internet tells him to do and he'll like it! <:mad:>

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

T-Bone posted:

This isn't the vote to see who the NHL should shoot into the sun.
Yeah. Darcy Tucker already won that one in a landslide.

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

Badfinger posted:

This is probably the most people have talked about the All-Star game in a decade.

This is probably the most anyone's talked about an All-Star game since Eddie Shore smashed Ace Bailey's head open.

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

Lech, can I be the bass player in your band of retards? :downs:

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

Kragger99 posted:

By the way - Don Cherry and Ron said Rory is now 6th in voting.

C/D?

Deny. Ron ad Don are about a week and a half behind. As usual.

Too bad we weren't voting for a Euro. Cherry's head might have melted.

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

Holy poo poo. Scott Oake sees right through us.

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

Hrudey's just pissed that Rory's gonna end up with more career ASG appearances than he did.

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

SHUTUP oval office posted:

Am I a bad person for viewing this whole ordeal as justified punishment for Rory helping to ruin round three of last season's playoffs?

So, how exactly is making him world famous and giving him a $6,000 All-Star Game appearance bonus a punishment?

Oh, and Merry Christmas Rory Goons! :santabeard:

Loser fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 25, 2006

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

Jimmy Jazz posted:

PS: What is the deal with the dance Rory does in the banner ad?
To be honest with you, I don't know. And I made the Rory banner. v:shobon:v

Actually, the Rory banner was a parody of an ADTRW banner ad that was running a couple of weeks ago. After the ADTRW banner started a couple of other parody banners popped up of different emoticons doing the same dance. I hopped on the bandwagon and made one of Rory doing the dance. I have no idea where the original dance came from. Some anime bullshit I guess.

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

I think the BYOB banner was a parody of the ADTRW one. I could be wrong though.

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

Future Hall of Famer Darren Puppa played in the 1990 All-Star Game. :pseudo:

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

La-li-lu-le-lo posted:

Uwe Krupp scored the game winning goal in the '96 finals in Triple Overtime :flashfact:
The best part of that was that Krupp was just about the last guy on the team they let touch the Cup too. Every time they would pass it off to someone else Krupp was there reaching for it but they just kept passing it to other people. I remember watching it yelling at the TV for them to let the poor guy have the Cup. He just won the game for them and they just kept passing him by. :( I think he finally ended up getting it just after the backup goalie and just before the guy that sharpened their skates.

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=285980&page=NewsPage&service=page

Are these the new numbers? If so we got shafted. How the gently caress did Niedermayer and Lidstrom each add over 100,000 votes and Rory only added 60,000?

NHL.com posted:

Scott Niedermayer, Anaheim, 540,380; Nicklas Lidstrom, Detroit, 522,345; x-Rory Fitzpatrick, Vancouver, 486,842; Chris Pronger, Anaheim, 389,342; Dion Phaneuf, Calgary, 359,071; Scott Hannan, San Jose, 357,619; Mattias Ohlund, Vancouver, 297,307; John-Michael Liles Colorado, 215,450; Robyn Regehr, Calgary, 209,018; Sergei Zubov, Dallas,, 202,685; Mathieu Schneider, Detroit, 170,675; Rob Blake, Los Angeles, 163,659; Lubomir Visnovsky, Los Angeles, 162,350.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loser
Jan 18, 2003

Kragger99 posted:

I'm having difficulty voting for a player that doesn't seem to want to play... :(
Since when is this about what Rory wants...? :raise: