Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

ReverendHammer posted:

Is there any way we can get some sound clips of that? I would love to hear what crazy things can come out of that thing.

Ask and ye shall receive.

I recorded this one last night. Because I hate programming stuff on a tiny LCD, it's only one drum pattern repeated over and over. The final sound is formed by the patch bay and two custom distortion pedals made by the same guy. I'll upload a dry clip once I get a MIDI cable so I can start programming this thing from my sequencer.

http://www.radiumclub.net/151206_corroder.mp3
please don't rape my bandwidth terribly, people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Trouser Mouse Bear posted:

...my next purchase.

Nice! I'm sure you know this, but... please don't use bronze strings on that - silk-and-steels (like John Pearse "Manouche" or Martin Folk) sound so much better on a Selmer-style acoustic.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Sixfools posted:

That's probably the reason I lurk there more then I post (under Rayburn). I've found it be a great resource for information about various topics even if things get really heated there because of everyone is very passionate of their views there. I find they tend to crack down on pretty tame things as well which makes me afraid to post sometimes.

Oddly enough, I just saw some of your posts in the "guilty pleasures" thread under "Rock, etc."

I spend more time in the electric 4 & 5 string section than anywhere else. And I agree with you, the politics, attitudes, and general atmosphere is much older over there.

Still, there're some decent folks posting. And a whole shitload of builders, in case you need to ask a question about something.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

HumanSpeedBump posted:

Ask and ye shall receive.

Wow, that was pretty cool. Do you have any ideas of how the bends are mapped out in regards to how they may affect the sound, or do you pretty much have to fly by the seat of your pants?

I may have to hunt down one of those and see if your friend would be willing to bend one for me.

FEED MY FAT GUT
Aug 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl
Picked this up last night:

I could barely afford it but it was a good deal at $480, and I wanted a Mesa power amp to go with my Mesa Studio Preamp, and it was local, so I had to. It needs new tubes, you can't turn the power off, and one of the sides just makes a loud hum with no actual signal (I'm hoping that's just bad tubes), but the side that does work sounds great even with the old tubes.

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

ReverendHammer posted:

Wow, that was pretty cool. Do you have any ideas of how the bends are mapped out in regards to how they may affect the sound, or do you pretty much have to fly by the seat of your pants?

I have no clue about the bends. I map the best ones by playing different patterns and connecting stuff randomly. When I find something that really clicks, I mark the positions of the bridging connections into a text file with a short description of the sound. The whole idea of the piece is that in itself it's a nice machine but even bent it wouldn't suit my purpose because the basic sounds of the TR-626 aren't really the kind of stuff I'm into, but combined with pedals from the same guy it's exactly what I've been looking for.

The friend in question has pretty much stopped bending though, because he has something bigger in mind. The few works he does anymore are unique custom pieces for me and another guy he knows.

Kekkoslovakia fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 16, 2006

Trouser Mouse Bear
Mar 20, 2004
Bancount - 1

Uncle Caveman posted:

Nice! I'm sure you know this, but... please don't use bronze strings on that - silk-and-steels (like John Pearse "Manouche" or Martin Folk) sound so much better on a Selmer-style acoustic.

Of course not!
I have a Wegen pick and plenty of Argentines already, waiting for the guitar ;)

The Stizzle
Jul 20, 2002
So, a page ago, I posted this:

And, with my wife's help, this happened tonight:

Oh yeah. :fappery:

The Stizzle fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 16, 2006

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Of course not!
I have a Wegen pick and plenty of Argentines already, waiting for the guitar ;)
Sure, that'll get you close, but for the full effect you need to severely burn your right hand. And grow a moustache. And time-tavel back to the thirties. Don't half-rear end it, man.

SleepyBandit
Dec 1, 2005

its a dog

PRS Custom 24

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Newest acquisition: the seafoam green MIM Strat :hydrahump:. Saw it in Guitar Center today and since I go in there fairly often, I already knew that they rarely have one of these in there. According to the serial number, it's a '99. This thing looks like someone bought it and just put it in a case for 7 years. It still has the plastic on the pickguard and rear plate and there isn't a scratch or ding anywhere on it. :guitar:

GNUspeak
Jan 15, 2005

by Fistgrrl

M-Audio Axiom 49 49-Key USB MIDI Controller

Roland's VariOS open system module

randomwood
May 20, 2005

by Fistgrrl

GNUspeak posted:

drat, that is a nice controller.

phantom309
Nov 11, 2001
Pride O' the Campground
This evil little thing:

15 watts, all tube class A with el84's, one input, two knobs, complete and utter loving screamer. The first batch they made in the 90s had bad output transformers and they developed a bad reputation for reliability - but almost all of them have since been upgraded to a stronger unit. You can pick them up pretty cheaply on the used market. This one cost $330 and sounds like a Matchless Lightning.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Merry Christmas to meeee!
Merry Christmas TO meeee!
Merry Chriiiiistmas dear DOOOOOOOoooooooooook

I think I already annoyed the downstairs neighbor ~ 3am. :dance:
btw I literally have no more loving space in my apartment bedroom.

The Stizzle
Jul 20, 2002

Duke Chin posted:

Merry Christmas TO meeee!
Merry Chriiiiistmas dear DOOOOOOOoooooooooook

DRUMS.

I think I already annoyed the downstairs neighbor ~ 3am. :dance:
btw I literally have no more loving space in my apartment bedroom.
Hot drat. What was the burn for the kit and the brain?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

schrag posted:

Hot drat. What was the burn for the kit and the brain?
A LOT... Roland price-fixes :( On the plus side there's a deal going on right now for a few extra items that will be incorporated into my set nicely.

And did you notice it's setup a little differently than how they normally are? Perhaps modeled a touch after a certain prehistoric elephant's drummer's set? hehe
I'm a dork.

btw :10bux: x 560

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Duke Chin posted:

A LOT... Roland price-fixes :( On the plus side there's a deal going on right now for a few extra items that will be incorporated into my set nicely.

And did you notice it's setup a little differently than how they normally are? Perhaps modeled a touch after a certain prehistoric elephant's drummer's set? hehe
I'm a dork.

Going for the Brann Dailor look, huh? Nice kit.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Mighty Scoop posted:

Going for the Brann Dailor look, huh? Nice kit.
Sort of unintentionally though - the stock TD-20K kit comes with exactly the same amount of pieces as "Braaaaaawn" heh - My acoustic kit is set up much the same way, but with another floor tom and splashes etc so it still feels like home sweet home.

Well, V-home sweet home.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Duke Chin posted:

Ow. I'd love to have one of these, but the only ones I've played that seem like they're worth having have been over $2000 and I just can't swing that kind of money right now.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

mofolotopo posted:

Ow. I'd love to have one of these, but the only ones I've played that seem like they're worth having have been over $2000 and I just can't swing that kind of money right now.
To be honest, I'd say it's probably worth around 2500-3000 but I'm an idiot and, like I said, Roland price fixes. :mad: The rack, after setting it up and playing with it, is a bit higher quality that I previously thought. Everything was pretty much assembled in the box with the exception of a few little doodads associated with the hi-hat. For the price they honestly SHOULD throw in a nice double kick pedal, hi hat and snare stand but what can you do? Though I'll be mighty pissed if they release something new and/or drop the price in the next few months. :D This set cost me more than my acoustic set which is twice the size. heheh Living in an apartment is not very conducive to drumming.

Next up: New guitar, a presonus firepod (or something like that for 8-10 channels of recording), and sell my current main set for a fully custom SJC set.

The Stizzle
Jul 20, 2002

Duke Chin posted:

I'm a dork.

A mastodork.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

schrag posted:

A mastodork.
Hang on, i'll run home and record you a rimshot on my new set. :rimshot:

Cougar2k
Nov 11, 2002

It's a Martin D-15 with a rosewood body and spruce top. Got her for $550 with a tiny unnoticable crack near the bottom strap button. My first decent guitar, i love her so much...

Cougar2k fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 20, 2006

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

The Kool-Aid Wino posted:

I've been a long time fan of Rickenbacker, and I just had the opportunity to play one last weekend. I was amazed by the brightness of tone this thing had. I decided I had to get one.

I don't know how or when, but some day, I will have my 4003.

god those things are so drat cool looking.

I guess my last purchase was a bag of panasonic LM3007 analog delay chips. Now I have to figure out how to make a stable adjustable clock for them.

Oprah Moment
Nov 21, 2004
$25

$116

Soon:

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Duke Chin posted:

Jesus Duke, what do you do for a living

NINJA EDIT:

SleepyBandit posted:

PRS Custom 24

Welcome to the family. :)

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Engine Fortegue posted:

Jesus Duke, what do you do for a living
Broadcast engineer and producer for a national show.

It doesn't pay as well as you'd think - I'm just really good at saving when there's something I really want.

In other news: Tonight was the first chance I've really had to sit down, grab a glass of booze and have some fun with this thing. Outside of work, two loving power outages, company and grumpy downstairs neighbors I haven't really been able to break a sweat making fun noises with crazy patches until a few hours ago. Bonus: I have tomorrow and saturday off. Oh yes, I'm having me some fun.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Dec 22, 2006

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Duke Chin posted:

In other news: Tonight was the first chance I've really had to sit down, grab a glass of booze and have some fun with this thing. Outside of work, two loving power outages, company and grumpy downstairs neighbors I haven't really been able to break a sweat making fun noises with crazy patches until a few hours ago. Bonus: I have tomorrow and saturday off. Oh yes, I'm having me some fun.

Dude, make sure to record and post some of the stuff you come up with during Happy Fun Play Time. :)

Just recently purchased these:

They're fun to play with (especially for the price), but I can see why they're not really recommended for gigging. But that's okay, for the stuff I want to do they probably wouldn't be stepped on anyway. They also give easy access to the circuit boards for possible bending as well.

viznic
Mar 19, 2002

Having said that, this is my next purchase.

Too cheap to buy a hand built :(

Those are great. I own a two Dell Arte guitars (handmade selmer copies made in San Diego), and I have played guitars made from virtually all the luthiers in that style... including real Selmers. The Gitanes I've played hold their own against guitars that cost twice as much.

Glad so many folks are getting into Gypsy Jazz these days.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Just got this in Wednesday, it's awesome.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

schrag posted:

A mastodork.
Okay so I'm a couple days late:
Rimshot4Schragggggg.mp3

The Stizzle
Jul 20, 2002

Duke Chin posted:

Okay so I'm a couple days late:
Rimshot4Schragggggg.mp3
Haha!
Wait, can I make the shortest Trebuchet song out of that? :raise:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

schrag posted:

Haha!
Wait, can I make the shortest Trebuchet song out of that? :raise:
Here, use THIS or THIS instead. I made the second one specifically for anyone who says "needs more cowbell"

The Stizzle
Jul 20, 2002

Duke Chin posted:

Here, use THIS or THIS instead. I made the second one specifically for anyone who says "needs more cowbell"
Well now, I know what I am doing with my vacation time. :D

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.
A set of Lace Sensor Hot Golds for my beloved Strat. While his stock pickups were nice, these are far better-sounding. For the record, I got the set with the Hot Bridge, as well. :fappery:

Not really a "piece of new gear," but while he was installing the pickups, I had my friend wire the middle-pup tone control to the bridge pickup, since I never messed with the middle's tone, anyway.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

schrag posted:

Well now, I know what I am doing with my vacation time. :D
We could just rewrite "Schmace" to go along with the cowbell pattern. :) Though the old version had that awesome game show theme-quality to it. heh

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

Next up, Gibralter Rack.

Nedsmaster
Mar 9, 2006

smoke brown
black for black
A pair of Gretsches:

A original vintage 1964 Country Gentleman (left) and a reissue 1962 Tennessean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

hunter x az posted:

Hey I've got the same thing, only chain drive. I'll tell you right now: You'll be 100% happy with it. Best two-legger out on the market, bar none.