Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
This beast owns so hard :fap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yooo nice. Is that one of those Manson humbuckers that's basically just a nailbomb with a custom cover?

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

muike posted:

Yooo nice. Is that one of those Manson humbuckers that's basically just a nailbomb with a custom cover?

Yeah that's what I heard as well.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Kilometers Davis posted:

Report backkkk

So, I have had the amp for about 10-14 days and coming back to report it. Cosmetically, I feel its kind of goofy. Its kind of tall and more of a box shape(with congruent sides) than I'd like. It is light and I do like the side handles on heavier amps but, really would have preferred a top handle. Wish I could switch handles with my V4 since that beast needs side handles alot more.

It came with no stand-by which was perplexing but, when I asked he basically said there is no purpose? I dunno, but I mean to put in a standby switch would be like 20 extra bucks parts and labor. So, if these tubes burn out quick I will just get my tech to put one in.

The actual tone kinda rules though. Plenty of enough power for my bass player to drown me out, which is what I wanted. But it is very smooth sounding and with the gain knob, I can get some actual amp grit when I am playing guitar. I actually love the way it sounds out of guitar, might start a project just to play both, hah.

Obviously I cant attest to how it will hold up but, everything does look well thought out and flushed together. The only part that is annoying is that there is a weird audible high pitch noise when I put the master from 2-5 O'clock. Its not a huge deal since I can use the gain to get around with the dial being on either side of that "dead zone". Not sure whats wrong with it and I know the guy would be find with me shipping it down and getting it fixed but, honestly, I love the way the amp sounds and with it being such a minor ordeal there is no real need.

Overall I am pleased and it was much better than paying 12-1400 for a Orange 200 like I wanted and there really are no good 200w tube heads that I have been able to find that was anywhere close to what I snagged this dude for.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

Smash it Smash hit posted:

It came with no stand-by which was perplexing but, when I asked he basically said there is no purpose? I dunno, but I mean to put in a standby switch would be like 20 extra bucks parts and labor. So, if these tubes burn out quick I will just get my tech to put one in.

You don't need a stand-by switch, because usually they'll have something built into the signal to delay the warm-up time and prevent any kind of "damage" to begin with. I think there's more problems associated with having a stand-by toggle than not. I never use standby on my amps and I've had zero issues.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Chalets the Baka posted:

You don't need a stand-by switch, because usually they'll have something built into the signal to delay the warm-up time and prevent any kind of "damage" to begin with. I think there's more problems associated with having a stand-by toggle than not. I never use standby on my amps and I've had zero issues.

I thought that it was usually a rectifier that acts as a buffer for the initial surge of power? this has no rectifier. i have no outstanding knowledge of amps and took his word for it for sure.

that's what he said about stand by too, it's just another thing to go wrong.

but like I said, the voicing of the amp is amazing. clean for days, takes pedals like a dream and cuts through the mix bass /guitar

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 22, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Ordered this today, been wanting a baritone for a while and when I saw silverburst + no inlays, I really had no choice.

Reviews are kind of 'meh' on the pickups, so I'll probably throw my old EMG's in there, I told the shop to order locking tuners with it as well, should be in within a couple of weeks.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I've never heard a bad thing about them, they seem to be basically the go-to baritone these days.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

muike posted:

I've never heard a bad thing about them, they seem to be basically the go-to baritone these days.
I haven't kept up with that a lot to be honest, I like PRS, I know their SE's are fantastic values, honestly I probably just centered on whatever semi-negative reviews I happened across about the pickups as I've never been a fan of PRS pickups (excepting the 57/08's which are fantastic) so I really sort of planned on swapping them out from the start.

That, and, I've sort of missed running EMG's for some weird reason lately and I've been more or less looking for an excuse to put them into something.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Good news! like after 30 years of being the dominant active pickup maker, EMG now offers an external power supply.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I've been wanting to get a MM baritone, and they finally got one at the local GC. With glee I picked it up, plugged it in, and realized I really had nothing I wanted to play that was in B.

I no longer want a baritone.

That being said I really miss my SE. I love PRS but my next will be a Mira (then remove the bigsby)

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

muike posted:

Good news! like after 30 years of being the dominant active pickup maker, EMG now offers an external power supply.
Haha, that was always the bitchiest bit about them way back when. I usually just extended the battery lead and taped the battery to my strap.

mekrob
Sep 4, 2003

iostream.h posted:

Ordered this today, been wanting a baritone for a while and when I saw silverburst + no inlays, I really had no choice.

Reviews are kind of 'meh' on the pickups, so I'll probably throw my old EMG's in there, I told the shop to order locking tuners with it as well, should be in within a couple of weeks.

I have this model. It's pretty good quality and I like the (relatively) low weight. I'd agree that the pickups are 'meh', though.

For baritone stuff, I get a lot more use out of my Ibanez SRC6, mainly because of the extra tone controls.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Welp, looks like my high-gain needs are covered for the foreseeable :shepface:

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

iostream.h posted:

This is my favorite midrange baritone, minus pickups. It's well crafted, light, and with the right pups sounds amazing! I did the locking tuners in mine as well, but ran into the issue of the lowest tuner not being wide enough to hold the .068 I use - so it's got 5 locking and one non-locking.
Still need to change my neck pup, but I have a Dimarzio DSonic in the bridge which sounds fantastic.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Been working on the Hebron project over the past 6 weeks, just finished up. Taking home some big money, so I splurged, almost cleared my wishlist

The new redesigned Taylor 814ce

and the budget minded 150e, I didn't have a 12 string

and what I've been dreaming about since I started playing,

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Jesus.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Must have been some paycheck.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Big oil=big money. I cleared $4200 last week.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Is that the Paige Hamilton? :allears:

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

I bought a cheap bass to screw around on. Ibanez Gio IJXB190 and the amp it comes with in the starter pack for $70AU. Was going to buy a yamaha rbx270 off some other guy but he sold it and this thing suits my needs just fine.

Excuse the lovely picture, phone decided to do that because it's night time.

Nostalgic Pushead fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 26, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Declan MacManus posted:

Is that the Paige Hamilton? :allears:

yeah. the previous owner put a jb in the bridge, which is a small shame cuz i wanted to try the air zone, but w/e i'd probably end up changing it anyway. it's super sweet, and from the first year of production cuz it has the sperzels.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

This is sexy as hell. Reminds me of the new white/silverwhatever Keith Merrow sigs. I really love that look for a "metal" guitar. Beats the hell out of fingerprint covered glossy black with pointies everywhere.

Smash it Smash hit posted:

So, I have had the amp for about 10-14 days and coming back to report it. Cosmetically, I feel its kind of goofy. Its kind of tall and more of a box shape(with congruent sides) than I'd like. It is light and I do like the side handles on heavier amps but, really would have preferred a top handle. Wish I could switch handles with my V4 since that beast needs side handles alot more.

The actual tone kinda rules though. Plenty of enough power for my bass player to drown me out, which is what I wanted. But it is very smooth sounding and with the gain knob, I can get some actual amp grit when I am playing guitar. I actually love the way it sounds out of guitar, might start a project just to play both, hah.

Obviously I cant attest to how it will hold up but, everything does look well thought out and flushed together. The only part that is annoying is that there is a weird audible high pitch noise when I put the master from 2-5 O'clock. Its not a huge deal since I can use the gain to get around with the dial being on either side of that "dead zone". Not sure whats wrong with it and I know the guy would be find with me shipping it down and getting it fixed but, honestly, I love the way the amp sounds and with it being such a minor ordeal there is no real need.

Overall I am pleased and it was much better than paying 12-1400 for a Orange 200 like I wanted and there really are no good 200w tube heads that I have been able to find that was anywhere close to what I snagged this dude for.

Badass man. I always got the tone before style/features vibe from those guys which isn't a bad thing at all. Enjoy it!

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Just ordered this from Musician's Friend, it's their deal of the day:

Gretsch Dixie Deluxe banjo.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Kilometers Davis posted:

This is sexy as hell. Reminds me of the new white/silverwhatever Keith Merrow sigs. I really love that look for a "metal" guitar. Beats the hell out of fingerprint covered glossy black with pointies everywhere.

Badass man. I always got the tone before style/features vibe from those guys which isn't a bad thing at all. Enjoy it!

update: one of the kt88s ate poo poo. dude is going to send me some 6550s instead.

manage to open the amp mostly it's clean. there are a few resistors that at 2w values that probably should be 5w. the caps are Chinese which is kinda disappointing and curious how it's going to keep it. the ones in the power section seems like it might be cutting it close power wise.

having my tech look it over/bias the new tubes. I'll give detail report when I get it. but to tell the truth when I tested the amp with two power tubes, and with guitar - it sounded stupid good. blows me v4 out the water tone wise.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

No an instrument but, JBL LSR305's, my first pair of actually good monitors and the final component of getting home setup set up exactly right after literally decades

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Haven't had anything to add to this thread in a long time but I got a good one today. Fender Japan Classic 70's reissue p-bass with upgraded Rio Grande pickups and hipshot bridge. I love p-basses and have always wanted something better than a standard MIM. By far nicest bass I've ever owned.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I love those BIG (timg that?) black inlays. Block inlays for life :hfive:

DJcyclopz
Feb 16, 2012

codo27 posted:

Big oil=big money. I cleared $4200 last week.

They hiring?

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Bought this old Trace Elliot Commando 100W 15" combo tonight, seeing as I'm messing around with bass now. The head is "rooted" according the the guy's amp tech, so I'm using a guitar head with it, which sounds nice but rather quiet (the head is only 15W, but even with a guitar it's much quieter than through my guitar speaker). Had to rig a jack up to the speaker's wires and put it in one of the holes in the control panel seeing as I couldn't be assed opening the cab part up and drilling a hole in it at 8PM on a friday night. Gives me something for a bass head down the line, though I might end up needing something louder anyway I'm only messing around for now.

Doesn't sound awful with guitar, but not as much low end grunt as I expected from it for that.

e: took the speaker out to check the impedance, I had it right but it turns out it's rated for 300W RMS so it may well do me for quite a while.

Nostalgic Pushead fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 31, 2014

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Ordered from a guy on TGP. Can't wait until it arrives. :dance:

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
lookit this fuckin thing

NKPH0146 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

NKPH0142 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

NKPH0137 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

NKPH0136 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

Wife has been on the lookout and socking away a bit out of each paycheck for months and surprised me on my birthday. Made in 1937, so back when Kimball still made good poo poo. It sounds ridiculously good, especially in the high end.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

So, uh, where's the floyd rose on that thing?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

dakana posted:

lookit this fuckin thing

NKPH0146 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

NKPH0142 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

NKPH0137 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

NKPH0136 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

Wife has been on the lookout and socking away a bit out of each paycheck for months and surprised me on my birthday. Made in 1937, so back when Kimball still made good poo poo. It sounds ridiculously good, especially in the high end.

Your wife fuckin rules

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
That looks like something made for honky tonk and barrelhouse. Make it swing!

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

New synth day

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

FancyMike posted:

New synth day

I know next to nothing about working with synths, but from looking at demo-videos the minibrute just looks really fun to play around with.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

This is my new favorite pedal.

I've been playing down to A and B all night and no noodle strings.

No, there's no delay and yes when you get down to about A and below it starts to sound a bit muddy but for dicking around the house it's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

poo poo's about to get real (layered)