Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

philkop posted:

I'm not good at making up my mind on things...

Here's my Les Tele-Strat build I just finished (assembling from parts I purchased.)

Your guitar breaks my head, but definitely in the neat kind of way. I would reverse the pick guard to the regualar orientation, but aside from that, cool. It reminds me of my Tele custom thing, but yours has 10x more character, have fun with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets

meatcookie posted:

Maybe turn the pickguard around?
It won't help it be less ugly but it might look a bit less 'wrong' to the eye. As-is it looks like you were going for a Tbird pickguard.
S'too bad you couldn't relocate the selector switch to the upper bout like a Les.

It was on the upper for a while when I had Les Paul wiring. I like the simpler wiring and shorter wire runs more now, and also it's easier for me while playing.

The pickguard does look tbirdish!

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

unlawfulsoup posted:

Your guitar breaks my head, but definitely in the neat kind of way. I would reverse the pick guard to the regualar orientation, but aside from that, cool. It reminds me of my Tele custom thing, but yours has 10x more character, have fun with it.

Thanks man, yeah it's kind of a mind gently caress if you've seen enough guitars to know that it isn't right.

I dig the pickguard because it kind of fits the nature of the build, rich was bastardizing 3 popular guitars into a mutant.

It actually didn't look that nice right side up. Just didn't fit the contour. A 335 pickguard looked really sweet right side up though.

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

philkop posted:

A 335 pickguard looked really sweet right side up though.
This does sound sweet. Less of a mind gently caress, maybe, but sweet.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

philkop posted:

Thanks man, yeah it's kind of a mind gently caress if you've seen enough guitars to know that it isn't right.

I dig the pickguard because it kind of fits the nature of the build, rich was bastardizing 3 popular guitars into a mutant.

It actually didn't look that nice right side up. Just didn't fit the contour. A 335 pickguard looked really sweet right side up though.

Yeah, a 335 pickguard would be neat. Alternately you could try a Gretsch one if you want to add another manufacturer to your guitar. :D

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Pyrthas posted:

This does sound sweet. Less of a mind gently caress, maybe, but sweet.

A tortoise shell 335 pg looked classy as gently caress, espeically with the chrome and gold.

But this wasn't a classy build. :)

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
;e

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 1, 2015

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Built this thing meself and it fits my pedalboard quite nicely alongside Black Forest and LSTR from Black Arts Toneworks and a Fuzz Factory clone.

Here's a demo video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aetN4xDl-wA

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Missed opportunity there to have both a 'meat' and a 'balls' knob. :cmon:

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

Missed opportunity there to have both a 'meat' and a 'balls' knob. :cmon:

Nah, I'm planning a buddy pedal for this one that will be called Meatballs.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Even better.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Don't forget the sauce!

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

monolithburger posted:

Don't forget the sauce!

This is sage advice.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
This thing is here to be a replacement for my old and busted main guitar that gets worse at handling the seasons every year. And with titanium neck reinforcements and a finish that hasn't been sanded down, it should do just fine. Ibanez S5521Q

And if anyone's curious about Ibanez's esoteric model naming here's the breakdown:
S = Saber, body type
5 = Indicates the "quality level" within the prestige subdivision
5 = Holdover from prior to the development of Prestige, also a quality indicator
2 = pickup/pickguard configuration. 2 means 2 humbuckers, 5 here would indicate a pickguard. Probably the most fast and loose category in the naming.
1 = the final number indicates whether it's a trem model (0) or a hardtail (1). (7) also appears nowadays to indicate a 7 string model, while it used to be a prefix (RG7621 for example. a 7 string 6 series 2 pickup hardtail guitar) it's become a suffix since Ibanez purchased non-Japanese production facilities.
Q = Quilt top. Likely a veneer on this, but I'm not really bothered since it's just for looks anyway.

I'll probably do a thorough comparison between this and my 94 S540 at some point.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm a little :swoon: for Ibanez hardtails not gonna lie! I would riff the heck out on that.

Cute snake btw

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

muike posted:

This thing is here to be a replacement for my old and busted main guitar that gets worse at handling the seasons every year. And with titanium neck reinforcements and a finish that hasn't been sanded down, it should do just fine. Ibanez S5521Q

I'll probably do a thorough comparison between this and my 94 S540 at some point.
muike, that is gorgeous, I've always wanted an S series. I never knew they made hard-tails. Glad tuxedo cat approves.

What pickups do you plan to put in it?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah there's a decent variety of hardtail Sabers nowadays. Less so in the prestige line, which is why this one really popped out to me. I actually liked the pilsner burst color more, but this was too much of a deal to pass up. As far as pickups, my gut instinct is nailbombs, but I don't know

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

I am embracing simplicity.

Left is a Dazatronyx Class A Germanium Amplifier, which is a souped up Rangemaster selectable between treble boost, mid boost and full range. Works very nicely to push the front of my amp or brighten up the signal out of my Fuzz Face clone.
Right is an Earthquaker Acapulco Gold which is supposed to emulate the power amp saturation of the Sunn Model-T with your guitar volume providing the gain control. I haven't had a chance to plug this one in yet.

I'm now pondering the possibilty of putting together an entire board of one knob pedals...

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Bill Posters posted:

entire board of one knob pedals...
Dude, you totally could.

Somebody who isn't working needs to make a Photoshop mockup of that!

philkop fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 7, 2015

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm a little :swoon: for Ibanez hardtails not gonna lie! I would riff the heck out on that.

Cute snake btw

I still wouldn't trade my old RGA121 for anything else out there. Ibanez hardtails are the poo poo.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

muike posted:

Yeah there's a decent variety of hardtail Sabers nowadays. Less so in the prestige line, which is why this one really popped out to me. I actually liked the pilsner burst color more, but this was too much of a deal to pass up. As far as pickups, my gut instinct is nailbombs, but I don't know

I kind of wanted to get a saber, but I want one with HSH pickups and a hardtail which pretty much limits me to one style/color that isn't rear end-ugly (SIX70FDBG in their Iron Label brand in a natural finish).

So I've been happy enough with my Guitarfetish Gold Foil pickups on my old beater Epiphone that I'm thinking of buying a set for my Malden Utopia. Right now I'm leaning toward a set of lipsticks. I did just see that they apparently make Gold Foils in Single coils since the last time I visited their site, but I want to switch up the style a bit. Also really liking their demo sounds on their Brighton Rock series.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I vaguely recall some 90's era S series coming hardtail with a HSH layout but I'm completely blanking on what the model would be. I know the 441 doesn't exist, neither does the 541, so it would have to be some weirdo model number. Not US Custom cuz they only did RGs... if I think of it I'll hook you up.

For what it's worth I think the SV series would still be worthwhile even if you want a hardtail.

fake edit: I just dug through the admittedly non-comprehensive Ibanez Wiki and couldn't really find what I was thinking of so it might not exist?

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Just finished building 2 more pedals:

The Bolt:

This one I started with a Supro amp-in-a-box circuit (very similar to the JHS Superbolt), tweaked a few components, then added basically a full Super Hard On circuit that can be inserted into the signal path (before the overdrive) via the mini toggle. I LOVE what this thing can do in front of a tube amp.

Short demo clip here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpWU4MKc674

Brute Fuzz:

This one started out as a Colorsound 1-knob fuzz clone. First I reconfigured the level control, moving it to the input section instead of the output (the fuzz sounded like poo poo on anything less that full initially, but rolling back the volume on the guitar sounded great, so I revised the circuit to emulate that.) Then I added a Big Muff style tone stack to give me some shape/body control. This one ended up a lot more versatile than I had originally hoped.

Short demo clip here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nau5W2O4tIk

JohnnySmitch fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 11, 2015

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now

JohnnySmitch posted:

The Bolt:

This one I started with a Supro amp-in-a-box circuit (very similar to the JHS Superbolt), tweaked a few components, then added basically a full Super Hard On circuit that can be inserted into the signal path (before the overdrive) via the mini toggle. I LOVE what this thing can do in front of a tube amp.

Brute Fuzz:

This one started out as a Colorsound 1-knob fuzz clone. First I reconfigured the level control, moving it to the input section instead of the output (the fuzz sounded like poo poo on anything less that full initially, but rolling back the volume on the guitar sounded great, so I revised the circuit to emulate that.) Then I added a Big Muff style tone stack to give me some shape/body control. This one ended up a lot more versatile than I had originally hoped.

I'll try to upload some demo clips soon

Please do!

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Second.

These are friggin awesome and so are all the other DIY pedals you've posted previously. I really should get back into pedal building myself but I usually run out of motivation at the point where I have to drill the enclosure and fit everything in neatly.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Thanks! I've added links to some short demo videos in my original post.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I emailed TV Jones about fitting a Classic Plus under a Jazzmaster pickup cover. I am an awful person :negative:

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012

JohnnySmitch posted:

The Bolt:

Short demo clip here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpWU4MKc674

Brute Fuzz:

Short demo clip here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nau5W2O4tIk

These are great. The googly eye control knobs on the fuzz pedal are an especially nice touch.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

This is one of the coolest looking pedals ever.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Zaphod42 posted:

This is one of the coolest looking pedals ever.

It's so fitting.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Thanks to a sudden (expensive) medical emergency in the family, I'm thinking of ramping up and building some if these pedals for sale! Any interest and/or advice?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
My advice is that if you can make money, including a reasonable value of your time, and keep the price $99 or less give it a shot. There's a BIG psychological barrier above $100 that cuts into sales tremendously.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

JohnnySmitch posted:

Thanks to a sudden (expensive) medical emergency in the family, I'm thinking of ramping up and building some if these pedals for sale! Any interest and/or advice?

I would totally buy one of those NES bit trippers, just FYI.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Remulak posted:

My advice is that if you can make money, including a reasonable value of your time, and keep the price $99 or less give it a shot. There's a BIG psychological barrier above $100 that cuts into sales tremendously.

Yeah this.

I've been in the market for a better than stock SD-1 and while the Warza one looks interesting, $150 for it is just really dumb IMO. Sadly the options are pretty limited since everyone only clones tube screamers.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

I'm looking at doing a run of Bit Trippers and Brute Fuzzes to start off, at $95 + shipping each. Should be fun!

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young
Some stuff I picked up recently

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

SineRider posted:

Some stuff I picked up recently

I'm itching for one of those OP-1s! Let me know how you like it.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
Flashback triple delay rules, I've got one next to me right now

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012
I'll just browse through some online sales to window shop. I'm not the type to impulse by, so there's really no risk.

...So it turns out I have no willpower and a new guitar. A Godin xtSA to be exact. Pardon the crappy cell phone pics.

Normally this would have been too expensive and fancy for me, but it was half off due to it being damaged goods.

Picture taken from where I bought it, since the dent is so small my crappy camera can't really capture it well. I even had trouble finding it in person at first. It almost seems like a mistake that it's almost 50% off due to that, but I'm certainly not going to complain about it. I've only had it for about a day now, but so far it sounds and plays great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

plerocercoid posted:

Picture taken from where I bought it, since the dent is so small my crappy camera can't really capture it well. I even had trouble finding it in person at first. It almost seems like a mistake that it's almost 50% off due to that, but I'm certainly not going to complain about it. I've only had it for about a day now, but so far it sounds and plays great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTVScFJoe24

ignore the first part about matching color