Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Decided to treat my little Squier Strat to something nice.

Out with the old...

And in with the new

Guess maybe I should have polished that up a bit before I snapped the picture.

I've always hated that tortoiseshell, so that was the first thing to go. Recycled the switch and pots into the new pick guard, then installed a set of GFS Gold Foil Alnico 5 pups. I think they might just be under/scatter wound versions of their Texas flat pole pickups with a gold foil-esque (fauxl?) sticker on the front of them, but whatever they are, they sure are a hell of a lot better than the junk that was in there before. Topped off with new black switch tip and knobs, then strung with some DR Black Beauties strings...mostly because that's what I had left laying around, not really because I wanted black strings on it. I've always loved the way this guitar feels, and now I don't have to run it through 5 pedals to make it sound good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Dr. Faustus posted:

Nice to see you CaseFace. Miss you lots.

:love:

Looks so much better than the tortoiseshell

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Good choice, AR. Death to tort.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

Nice Telecaster, Peavey Classic buddy!

I'm returning to wage-slave world very soon and I'm dying for a Telecaster-style guitar. I haven't met many Fender necks that agreed with me (don't like the low radius) but I have played a few very nice ones. How does your Tele get along with your Classic 50?

very well. the Classic 50 definitely pairs super well with twangy single-coil guitars. i don't often get to open the thing up too much in my apartment, but i'm sure the tele would really scream through it at high volumes.

i'm still getting used to the narrow fingerboard but overall i love it. my only problem is i was originally going to sell my Melody Maker to make back some of my money but on further reflection i uhhh don't want to.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i don't often get to open the thing up too much in my apartment
I feel your pain, apartment-dweller. That's why I mostly just play through a PODHD, little solid-state amp, and a pair of nice bookshelf speakers. Even then I can get way too loud if I want to.
Great news about the tone, though. Thanks for the feedback. Enjoy your Tele and what the hell, hang onto that Melody-Maker. I can't bear to part with anything unless I decide I don't like it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I live in the woods which is cool for turning up my 6505. That being said I just got a focusrite scarlettt and i want to gently caress with it as a di box and some kind of amp software.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Okay, so this might not be so new, but I haven't talked about it due to being very busy. As most of the people who frequent the Amp, Effects, and New Gear threads have probably read, I'm leaving on tour as a hired gun in about 10 days. The tour is going to be 3 months long, so I've spent a gently caress-ton of time making sure that everything is as in order can be.
  • Got my passport and visas renewed.
  • Got a nearly identical rig just in case
  • Spares (bunch of tubes, strings, batteries and picks).
  • I can pretty much play the 5 sets that were requested without much in the way of loving up.
However, around the same time I went to buy the backup for a few pedals, 2 friends told me that they were moving to Canada. Kind of a bummer since I'm gonna miss hanging around / shooting the poo poo with them both but they also got a huge job opportunity coming up, so of course I wish them the best. Due to the moving, they're trying to lose a ton of gear they both no longer need. The wife has a bunch of cool/weird/"vintage" shredding guitars, so I asked her if she was selling anything, due to the fact that she's also left handed (like yours truly).

For around 200 bucks, she sold me these two ladies:

Going off from the serial numbers:
  • On the left, an Ibanez S470 from 2001. There are a few things regarding the locking nut and such that my friend lost, so right now I'm just blocking the floating bridge. It plays super nice after a quick calibration, and blocking the bridge does improve the tuning stability. The pickups sound completely nasty in the best way.
  • The one on the right is a right-handed Jackson Professional from 1993. She was in the process of turning it completely left handed, but decided to leave it as it was. The goofy green binding and the inlays were made by her and yeah, she left the one on the 7th come apart on purpose. The work she made with the epoxy gel to seal off the old control cavities for the right-handed controls was loving superb, and the pickups are just stupid great, even if I'm not much of a fan of active pickups. Despite still having a right-handed (and positively ANCIENT) floyd rose, it plays really well, even if the intonation could be a bit better. (When I play the 2nd and 6th strings, there's clearly some fret buzz going on)

Here's the thing: I kinda want to try my hand at playing with floating bridges, but I also want to make sure tuning and intonation remain stable so I can set it and forget it. Are there any components you would recommend? Locking tuners? A specific brand for replacement floating bridges? Any extensive modification the Jackson would need? (It does currently have a right-handed bridge, so maybe I'd need to put a chunk of wood to compensate for something)

As you can probably surmise from reading, I have zero experience with Floyd-rose-equipped guitars.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The Jackson probably has a better bridge on it than any you can buy new today if it's an original floyd rose and not a licensed copy.
As long as the knife edge pivot points look good everything else if worn is easily replaceable/cleaned/lubed.

The floyd rose website has a bunch of articles related to set up and maintaining the bridges.
http://www.floydrose.com/support/tech-support

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Licensed copy. :(

I'm still going to take it with the guy that checks up on stuff that I can't fix on my other guitars (I do like 90 percent of my guitar setup/maintenance) before seeing if I need to buy a new bridge. The Ibanez has a LO-TRS II and I've heard from other musicians that those are garbage, so the Ibanez IS getting a Floyd Rose.

Another question: Would putting locking tuners on one of these guitars improve tuning stability even if I start using the bridge as intended?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
THe Lo-TRS is a direct replacement for Original Floyd Roses, but you will probably have to shim the saddles to match the radius. not very difficult at all. Locking tuners won't help with your tuning stability but they'll make string changes a little quicker.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I want amps done in billiard table baize now.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Dr. Faustus posted:

Huge fan of heavy bass strings (bass and guitar) because they're not hard to play well but the intonation is important (especially on shorter scale lengths.) Very happy for you and your purchase.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'm not normally a fan of squiers but that looks like it would be very fun to shred death metal on.

Kilometers Davis posted:

That's a very cool looking bass. Reminds me a lot of the Aerodynes which I always thought would be great to own.
Not quite death metal, but I did use it at practice today. I'm genuinely surprised at how nice it sounds in relation to how cheap it was.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
I just finished building myself a new delay pedal

http://youtu.be/hkESwxuCNEA

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
Hello I will take one (1) of those

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
First new guitar in 6 years arrived today! Ibanez S520-WK

It weighs nothing yet sustains for days

edit: not posting off my phone so now pictures work!

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 1, 2016

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

NonzeroCircle posted:

First new guitar in 6 years arrived today! Ibanez S520-WK

It weighs nothing yet sustains for days

edit: not posting off my phone so now pictures work!

I honestly don't know how can they do it, but goddamn are the Ibanez S Series some seriously good poo poo. I wonder if once I get the Floyd Rose on it the tone will suffer a downgrade or get even better.

Allen Wren posted:

I want amps done in billiard table baize now.

A call center near my house was selling a bunch of furniture, chairs and such. My fiancιe thought it was a good idea. :shrug:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the lo-trs is garbage. it'll be a big upgrade

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

JohnnySmitch posted:

I just finished building myself a new delay pedal

http://youtu.be/hkESwxuCNEA

gently caress you. Not fair! I try to get out, but you people keep reeling me in! :cry:

In all seriousness, though: I really liked it and, if you plan to build more, I'll be more than glad to buy one off you. :)

No bullshit.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

^ I am planning to built a few more for sale actually - shoot me a PM if you'd like to grab a spot in line. I'm still pricing out exactly what it costs me to make, but I'm estimating around a $150 shipped sell price.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The Edge trem is pretty twitchy but I'm digging it, only had super-lovely licensed Floyds before that I've always ended up blocking.
Disclaimer: I like the standard Jaguar trem system so my opinions on trems are not to be taken seriously

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Wark Say posted:

A call center near my house was selling a bunch of furniture, chairs and such. My fiancιe thought it was a good idea. :shrug:

I'm not saying this like it's a bad thing. I legit thought those were amps at first, hence my comment.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Fabbed up a cute little pedal board that gets done what I need. Two channel pimpin' with the AB pedal (may switch to ABY later :dance:)

:3:

Agent York Morgan
Apr 28, 2013
I like what you did with the cables. What are those little plastic loops holding the cables?

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
yeah that looks nice. I looked it up for myself, looks like they're called p-clamps or loop clamps. http://www.mcmaster.com/#pipe-routing-clamps/=10yscts

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
Yep, you can find those clamps at pretty much any hardware store, usually multiple diameters for holding whatever. If needed to trunk a bunch of stuff you can also get rubber-shrouded metal ones and all that too.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Bought a Fender 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb, just came in today. It was a factory resealed model, and was 300 bucks off the normal price. It looks dead mint to me, like I can't find a nick or scratch anywhere on it. I am thinking I got a great deal.

After having an Orange OR-15 for my only amp for the last ~2 years, I forgot how amazing Fender cleans are . I haven't owned a Fender amp in many years, I used to have a 4x10 Super Reverb, I forgot how much I enjoy that Fender sound.

These newer "68 custom" amps have a bassman tone stack on the custom channel, but I can't decide if it's any good or not. Maybe it sounds different when cranked way up, but at low levels it just sounds like a shittier version of the vintage channel. Overall though I like it. I'd give it a 9/10. If they would make a version of this amp with an effects loop I'd give it a 10.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 5, 2016

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Dirt posted:

Bought a Fender 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb, just came in today.

After having an Orange OR-15 for my only amp for the last ~2 years, I forgot how amazing Fender cleans are . I haven't owned a Fender amp in many years, I used to have a 4x10 Super Reverb, I forgot how much I enjoy that Fender sound.

Very jealous, I've always wanted one of these.

I have an old hot rod deluxe that I bought used about 10 years ago that has since been modified (new tubes, Jensen speaker etc), and I agree there's nothing better than that clean fender sound. Also it's worth noting that imo the hot rod deluxe sucks now imo. I think the older versions are actually great budget buys so long as you never use either of the drive channels.

What exactly do the custom channels/inputs do on a twin reverb? I have friends that own them and I've never really understood that.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Depends which one it is, but largely it has to do with what tubes are being used and what effects are used. Basically the tremolo and reverb are only available on the vibrato (loving leo fender) channel. There's also a slightly different gain stage between the channels.

If it's a 68 custom, then the effects work on both channels but the custom channel used the tone stack from the bassman amp.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Vox Mini-5 has deceased. Need a new practice amp. Anyone have any good thoughts on a modeling practice amp? I've been leaning towards the Yamaha THR-5/10.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I have the THR5 and like it a lot. The models sound pretty good and just moving the tone knob is enough to tweak them that I haven't used the THR editor yet.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Awesome. Does it take pedals? Cause now I see the 10C and 10X, and I'm thinking... 'no, I want something normal, but I wouldn't mind having _one_ metal setting.'
I think I'm pretty much gonna be playing dadrock and dadblues on it.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Unless I'm mistaken the Yamaha THR series only works with powered cabs, and not a regular speaker cab - is that right? That put me off personally.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

My little one doesn't have a proper line out to drive a speaker, no. However since I only bought it to play quietly or through headphones that wasn't really a turn off. For metal I find the modern and brit hi amp models to be plenty enough for quiet/headphone practice.

As for pedals I can try putting my pedalboard in front of it later tonight. The onboard chorus/flanger/phaser and reverb/delay are pretty decent.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Yeah, I was just wondering what happens when you try to drive it - if it would actually act properly or just go off track. I'm leaning towards the 10C.

Deluxe – Fender 65 Deluxe reverb
Class A – Matchless DC30
US Blues – Fender Blues Junior
Brit Blues – Marshall Bluesbreaker
Mini – Dr Z Mini Z

Really, that should be enough for anything, right? I figure if I can stuff a Dano metal pedal through it without things breaking, it'd cover everything else.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 9, 2016

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012
I actually just got the THR10 today and have had tons of fun messing around with it. The THR editor comes with an additional 30 presets too, which is nice even if some are just minor variations of each other. I've only tried a handful of them so far but everything sounds good with little tweaking, even at low volume.

I also installed the Cubase software that's bundled with it, but I took one look at it and shut it down since I had no idea where to start with that. Figuring it out will be a project for another time.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I only recently switched to Cubase (Ableton user for years before) and after the initial hump of option paralysis its pretty straightforward to get going. Will take years to get anywhere remotely close to mastering it but it's actually not too bad, especially if you don't have ingrained DAW hotkeys to unlearn.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Warcabbit posted:

Yeah, I was just wondering what happens when you try to drive it - if it would actually act properly or just go off track. I'm leaning towards the 10C.

Deluxe – Fender 65 Deluxe reverb
Class A – Matchless DC30
US Blues – Fender Blues Junior
Brit Blues – Marshall Bluesbreaker
Mini – Dr Z Mini Z

Really, that should be enough for anything, right? I figure if I can stuff a Dano metal pedal through it without things breaking, it'd cover everything else.

Okay I tried it out on my 5 v.2. On its clean and lower-gain ("crunch" and "lead") channels it responds very nicely to my TS9, Distortion+, and Uberschall. The brit hi and modern ones get weird. I still got decent sounds out but I had to turn the amp's gain way down to not be totally overpowering on the low end with either the Dist+ or Uberschall. Given that you can actually tweak the onboard EQs with the THR editor and that none of the 10C models are super high gain you should be fine!

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Thank you very much. Looks like I'm going to be watching ebay a little.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So, tour begins tomorrow. I'm kinda nervous about going back on tour after so many years. At the same time, I feel pretty excited about that nervous feeling, because I think that will force me to try and do my best. If I see any weird gizmos worth buying, I'll be definitely posting here. Take care, in the meantime! :)

JohnnySmitch, while I cannot PM you, I'm still interested in that delightfully hosed up delay pedal of yours. If you plan on making more and can send it to either my Mexican address or to an Aunt's PO Box in Mission, TX, I can be contacted at manji.architect@gmail.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Wark Say posted:

So, tour begins tomorrow. I'm kinda nervous about going back on tour after so many years. At the same time, I feel pretty excited about that nervous feeling, because I think that will force me to try and do my best. If I see any weird gizmos worth buying, I'll be definitely posting here. Take care, in the meantime! :)

JohnnySmitch, while I cannot PM you, I'm still interested in that delightfully hosed up delay pedal of yours. If you plan on making more and can send it to either my Mexican address or to an Aunt's PO Box in Mission, TX, I can be contacted at manji.architect@gmail.com

For sure! I'm almost finished with #2 (which already has tentative dibs by a friend of mine), and parts are on the way for a couple more. I'll shoot you an email as soon as I have one all ready to go for you.