Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Cross-posted from the guitar thread, because I'm so pleased with how these turned out:

Lace Sensor Alumitones: Humbucker in the neck, Deathbucker in the bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
A) Normally something akin to that I would post in the "Stupid Music Stuff" thread; but you've made it something I actually salivate over. Congrats!

B) How do they sound, I've always been curious since I've first learned about them.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
It kind of throws you for a loop when everything is consistent around the pickup, as opposed to the string's relation to a polepiece. The Deathbucker has a huge low end - on the bottom two strings it almost sounds like you have an octave pedal on. If my next attempt at recording them turns out better than the last, I'll post the results.

And I'd be proud to be in the Stupid Music Stuff thread, although my guitar is far from the stupidest thing in the band. People sure dig it, though. Well, drunk people.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Crossposting from the home recording thread because I have no idea where else to ask, but where can I buy rackmount rails in 8U and 12U lengths for a reasonable price?

Edit: I just bought some rack rails.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 12, 2016

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Some dude just came into tour bus and apparently he's from Fishman or something. I don't know what to make of this.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Wait, what stupid music stuff thread?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Wark Say posted:

Some dude just came into tour bus and apparently he's from Fishman or something. I don't know what to make of this.

get those pickups son

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Warcabbit posted:

There's a thread in GBS (or it used to be there) for tacky, overcomplicated, or otherwise weird lookin' instruments (or other music equipment).

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

muike posted:

get those pickups son

From his intensely enthusiastic info-dump, I learned that these Fluence pickups are basically the 2nd coming of Papa Hendrix or some poo poo. Also, he gave me 2 USB rechargeable battery packs or something?

Once I get a day off, I'm gonna install them. My tech is loving awesome but I don't want to bother her right now.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I assume you got the classics? I really want to try those out.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Warcabbit posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597233

It used to be called "only ugly guitars itt" or something like that. It's kind of amazing. Long, but I suggest reading it all, because there's always something insane around the next corner. Nowadays, we still talk poo poo about stupid gear, but it's a bit more laid back.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Some recommended reading; click on Faustus' post history in the thread, you'll see him defending his dick hole guitars like a fedoralord.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
And the surfboard guitar, what a joyful instrument.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

NonzeroCircle posted:

And the surfboard guitar, what a joyful instrument.

I dropped out of the thread when it was just page after page of that pic, I'm guessing it got better?

I don't get GBS. :shrug:

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
It has got a lot less "GBS" in there now thankfully, much less repetitive (pretty much the only thread in that forum I read), and as said by someone above its more a mostly-but-not-exclusively-guitar based chat thread.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
It's mostly yukking it up over dumb gimmicks and overpriced "boutique" shitboxes made by delusional weirdos.

Plus the occasional bit of advice.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

Got myself this a couple of weeks ago. It plays great and I love that it looks a bit different from most acoustics.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

sensy v2.0 posted:

Got myself this a couple of weeks ago. It plays great and I love that it looks a bit different from most acoustics.

Nice gimmicky overpriced "boutique" shitbox you delusional weirdo.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Handen posted:

wow, rude.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Handen posted:

I think it is a nice looking guitar. Would like a pickguard on it though.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

umalt posted:

Some recommended reading; click on Faustus' post history in the thread, you'll see him defending his dick hole guitars like a fedoralord.
I'm not proud of the way I behaved there, but you might consider a few things: GBS had recently become FYAD and I didn't understand. Also, the Ugly Guitars Thread was born out of a grudge in the Xbox One thread (there's a word-filter here so I'll leave it), which was in a moderated forum but there was no moderation; so I was confused, hurt, and dogpiled. I admit I lost my poo poo.

I am not saying I handled it well, only that it blind-sided me and I lost perspective. If you look just at the first page you see it's actually a call-out thread and I gave them what they wanted. I made many mistakes but I still think the JEM7VSFG is an awesome guitar and it's beautiful. I play it a lot and I'm really glad I have it. The monkey-grip was a thing when I was a teenager and we didn't think of it as a "dick-hole."

I deserve all the criticism for getting out of sorts, but to be honest I wasn't used to being attacked on the internet in that manner.

I have learned. I think this particular forum likes JEMs more than the "Ugly Guitar Thread."

No offense, I'm just looking back on it and tipping my fedora to you.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 14, 2016

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Faustus is a cool dude, and yes the beginning of the thread was hilarious.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

unlawfulsoup posted:

Faustus is a cool dude, and yes the beginning of the thread was hilarious.
To me it was very hurtful. Thanks, though.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Faustus is cooler than most of the people in that thread. He just likes goofy guitars. He is like one of 3-4 people who actually posted some clips of themselves playing in that thread.

Handen posted:

Look at this guy. Ugh

sensy v2.0 posted:

I think that thing looks pretty cool. What brand is it? I can't make out the writing on the headstock.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I think that thing looks pretty cool. What brand is it? I can't make out the writing on the headstock.
[/quote]

95% sure it's a Cole Clark.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
here's my latest pedal circuit!

... it'll look a little neater once I get it into its housing. It sounds awesome so far though (it's a boost/overdrive/perversion of a SHO)

JohnnySmitch fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 14, 2016

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

JohnnySmitch posted:

here's my latest pedal circuit!

... it'll look a little neater once I get it into it's housing.

gently caress that, drape it across a miniature christmas tree

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

Dirt posted:

It's a Cole Clark, Angel 1 with bunya top and queensland maple back and sides.

unlawfulsoup posted:

I think it is a nice looking guitar. Would like a pickguard on it though.
It comes with a pickguard you can fit on it. I don't know if I like it more with or without, so I'm gonna wait and see cause I figure it's more difficult to remove than put it on.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Pretty cool someone's using pine (technically bunya's an araucarian, but still) on an acoustic.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

sensy v2.0 posted:

It comes with a pickguard you can fit on it. I don't know if I like it more with or without, so I'm gonna wait and see cause I figure it's more difficult to remove than put it on.

You know what to do. :colbert:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dirt posted:

Faustus is cooler than most of the people in that thread. He just likes goofy guitars. He is like one of 3-4 people who actually posted some clips of themselves playing in that thread.
I've missed the last 300+ posts in that thread, but I posted mp3s, warts and all, of my playing and the answering mp3s were jokes, making fun of me. I think (but I do not know) that I am the only guitarist who linked myself pretty much doing the best I could.

I never claimed to be the next Paul Gilbert or SRV or anyone, I just put stuff up to share:
http://tindeck.com/users/Dr.+Faustus

Not trying to create even more drama! The thread actually became interesting to me once it wasn't just about my new JEM.

I'm no prodigy, I'm just a working guy's tryhard guitarist.
What I'm trying to say is you may certainly hate everything I've played. That's ok because I hate it, too. At least I tried.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 14, 2016

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Got these for my 95' LP Standard:

Nice improvement in tone. A little pricey, but definitely worth it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I hope you're joking because those are ordinary, cheap capacitors in a case

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
Extending the benefit of the doubt -- they might be an inexpensive set of high quality matched and tuned capacitors. They're a .25 pound each for god's sake! I tried to look up the Wesco caps on digikey, but couldn't find them. The manufacturer wasn't even listed. They might be a special engineered order that really do match the characteristics of the originals. If that's worth $125 to someone, well, people've spent money on stupider things. For example, $125 for a set of caps that makes someone happy, are a better purchase than the $125 cheap guitar that I bought and grew out of within a few weeks.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah I'm fairly sure they're just caps with a tight tolerance. I wouldn't pay that much but hey, if you're happy :v:

I bought a bunch of parts to assemble a 5F1 Champ clone into my old not-really-working Frontman 15R but the power and output transformers were backordered so I'm waiting for them to arrive. :saddowns: They're supposed to ship out on Tuesday though! :toot:

e: This is more because I want to learn about building amps and that particular one is such a simple circuit than because I really want that amp. I'm also reading a theory book and should be able to add at least an EQ to it with a really small parts bill. HOBBIES

Also it's a confidence builder before I start trying to isolate the hum on my old amp that I really like. It's almost certainly a filter cap issue, which since it's a can type is just a matter of reading the can there and tracking down an equivalent, then making sure it's drained and replacing. Still though!

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 14, 2016

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Barnyard Protein posted:

Extending the benefit of the doubt -- they might be an inexpensive set of high quality matched and tuned capacitors. They're a .25 pound each for god's sake! I tried to look up the Wesco caps on digikey, but couldn't find them. The manufacturer wasn't even listed. They might be a special engineered order that really do match the characteristics of the originals. If that's worth $125 to someone, well, people've spent money on stupider things. For example, $125 for a set of caps that makes someone happy, are a better purchase than the $125 cheap guitar that I bought and grew out of within a few weeks.

the ones gibson sells are a scam. someone opened them up and they're cheapo chinese imports that cost like 10c a dozen

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

muike posted:

the ones gibson sells are a scam. someone opened them up and they're cheapo chinese imports that cost like 10c a dozen

Gibson posted:

This two-item set of .022 mfd Bumble Bee Capacitors look, perform and sound just like the original capacitors, which were used on late ’50s Les Pauls and vintage SGs.

They're describing exactly what they're selling, because cheapo chinese imports perform and sound just like the original capacitors.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Barnyard Protein posted:

lol nice

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I think TGP leaked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

unlawfulsoup posted:

I think TGP leaked out.

Pfff. Goons.

(Looks at new boutique pickups... and boutique distortion pedal... running to 40 year old 12-watt tube amp... with attenuator...)

:negative: I've become everything I've ever hated!