Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So, about a month before I went on tour, this friend of mine contacted me about this one instrumental that he was going to serve as a jingle or something. And he told me: "Can you do a clean funky guitar for like 15 to 20 seconds?". Which I did. I sent him my contributions through Hightail once I was done and I hoped he got the deal.

Once I got back from tour last month, he contacts me and tells me the story, which basically boils down to "The company that I did the jingle for decided not to use the advertisement they requested the jingle for but still bought the jingle from me, and I got stupid money from it". So he asks me if I want my share. I told him that I was super happy for him, but that it was cool that he got some moolah (he had been through a rough patch recently).

Then that sweet mo'fo sent me a package:

The package was super light, so I thought "Well, what the gently caress is in it?"

Ba-dow!

Holy smokes! I checked around online and apparently they don't make these babies anymore! Which is such a shame because it's hands down the best sounding guitar I ever played. Or at the very least, the best sounding Les Paul-type guitar I ever played. After a calibration and a fresh-set of strings which took no time whatsoever (I don't know if you can tell from the crappy pictures, but the truss rod adjustment is between the 22nd fret and the neck pickup, which makes it super easy), it loving roared with all three of my home amps.

I am in love with this guitar and I am seriously thinking that this is IT for me as far as 6-strings go. Funnily enough, once you grab it and play with it, it feels and sounds more like an ESP Eclipse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

drat. Nice man. Larrivee makes outrageously nice guitars for the price - my only acoustic is a Larry and is a keeper.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

butros posted:

drat. Nice man. Larrivee makes outrageously nice guitars for the price - my only acoustic is a Larry and is a keeper.

Nice! If the acoustics are anywhere near as good as this girl, maybe I'll think about ponying up some money for an acoustic!

I just found out about them actually. Apparently their strength is doing acoustics. Gotta be honest, though: This one I got is basically perfect for me. I decided to use it in drop C# tuning. Played some Iggy Pop and it just sang. It sounds strong, even when playing clean/softly AND especially in the neck pickup. Like the guitar is telling you "Let me go for the motherfucking jugular, man". Whoever worked on the pickups was not loving around.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Wark Say posted:

So, about a month before I went on tour, this friend of mine contacted me about this one instrumental that he was going to serve as a jingle or something. And he told me: "Can you do a clean funky guitar for like 15 to 20 seconds?". Which I did. I sent him my contributions through Hightail once I was done and I hoped he got the deal.

Once I got back from tour last month, he contacts me and tells me the story, which basically boils down to "The company that I did the jingle for decided not to use the advertisement they requested the jingle for but still bought the jingle from me, and I got stupid money from it". So he asks me if I want my share. I told him that I was super happy for him, but that it was cool that he got some moolah (he had been through a rough patch recently).

Then that sweet mo'fo sent me a package:

The package was super light, so I thought "Well, what the gently caress is in it?"

Ba-dow!

Holy smokes! I checked around online and apparently they don't make these babies anymore! Which is such a shame because it's hands down the best sounding guitar I ever played. Or at the very least, the best sounding Les Paul-type guitar I ever played. After a calibration and a fresh-set of strings which took no time whatsoever (I don't know if you can tell from the crappy pictures, but the truss rod adjustment is between the 22nd fret and the neck pickup, which makes it super easy), it loving roared with all three of my home amps.

I am in love with this guitar and I am seriously thinking that this is IT for me as far as 6-strings go. Funnily enough, once you grab it and play with it, it feels and sounds more like an ESP Eclipse.

Dang, that's a rare guitar, especially if it's a lefty. Your friend is a good guy.

Larrivee acoustics are really nice, especially the ones made in Vancouver before they closed the factory. They even used to do electric basses back in the 80s; I've been tempted by a couple on craigslist.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Wark Say posted:

Nice! If the acoustics are anywhere near as good as this girl, maybe I'll think about ponying up some money for an acoustic!

I just found out about them actually. Apparently their strength is doing acoustics. Gotta be honest, though: This one I got is basically perfect for me. I decided to use it in drop C# tuning. Played some Iggy Pop and it just sang. It sounds strong, even when playing clean/softly AND especially in the neck pickup. Like the guitar is telling you "Let me go for the motherfucking jugular, man". Whoever worked on the pickups was not loving around.

IIRC that model is an RS4 which has Lollar pickups.

And you'd be surprised how much Larrivee you can get for the money - highly recommended, especially if you get one of the ones made in Vancouver like Juaguocio said.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
No professionals wanted to make me a custom bridge for any amount of money (replacement for my Fender Lead II which is annoyingly different from everything), so I'm having my engineer friend machine me one free instead :)

She's using regular brass for the bridge and I THINK the saddles but the saddle set screws are brass-tipped stainless which is all sorts of badass - the saddle adjustment screws are 316 stainless, cheesehead slotted. It's the little things.

Progress image:

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Schlieren posted:

No professionals wanted to make me a custom bridge for any amount of money (replacement for my Fender Lead II which is annoyingly different from everything), so I'm having my engineer friend machine me one free instead :)

She's using regular brass for the bridge and I THINK the saddles but the saddle set screws are brass-tipped stainless which is all sorts of badass - the saddle adjustment screws are 316 stainless, cheesehead slotted. It's the little things.

Progress image:

Aw man.
I have access to a machine-shop in town. I should machine something guitar-related.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Schlieren posted:

Progress image:

That's both kick-rear end (for your buddy doing you this solid) and kinda sad. I often got used to getting the shaft in a lot of maintenance stuff, being lefty and all that.

Thankfully, one of my homeboys in the local repair shops is also a sinister, so he's got me covered. :)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

here's this new hot piece of rear end

Caparison Horus for those not familiar, and to those who are, yeah it does feel pretty much exactly like a 90s jackson fusion. This one is a lot more modern-trendy though. Weird combo of an ash top and maple body, though really they're both the same thickness.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

muike posted:

here's this new hot piece of rear end

Caparison Horus for those not familiar, and to those who are, yeah it does feel pretty much exactly like a 90s jackson fusion. This one is a lot more modern-trendy though. Weird combo of an ash top and maple body, though really they're both the same thickness.

loving awesome! I used to have an Angelus myself. Really loving rad guitars.

Regarding your post, though: Wasn't the founder/lead designer for Caparison guitars the guy who designed the Jackson Fusion?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yep. He designed the Falcon for some guy named Chachamaru (lol?) and eventually that became the Horus when he started his own company.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
So the past few months with my MIM Telecaster have spoiled me. Turns out a set of frets that sat for 5 years and barely got played feel pretty nice. Imagine that. It makes the 10-years-of-gigging frets on my MIM Strat drive me nuts these days though, so I loathe playing it.

Discovered today that you can buy replacement MIM necks right off Fender's parts site. Should be here next week. :toot:

I know there's other neck options, but after trying a crap ton of Strats this week I find I really, really like the MIM version of "modern C shape".

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Oops! Posted this in Stupid Music poo poo (and maybe it belongs there) but it wasn't on purpose:

My little fun/practice rig is really coming together.
In front of the THR-10 are an OCD, a tc Corona Chorus, and a tc FlashBack X4.

Ernie Ball sent me the wrong pedal to use as an expression pedal for the FlashBack, but the correct VP JR. 25k Active pedal and necessary insert cable have arrived (the cable and right-angle adapter are at the apartment office, I'll grab them in the morning on the way to work).

The Ernie Ball pedal has a few dubious QC reviews but it sure feels like it's built to last. The action on the treadle is very nice.

...and today the big score:

Brand-spankin' new Fulltone MDV-3 (box says #1998) with included 18V power supply. Heavy as a brick and fun just to look at. It's been sitting at work with me, but after work I'll get to actually give it a try. I'm going to the Dark Side of The Moon.

This will have to do me for awhile. I think the last two must-haves for my list are a tc Phasor and probably an MXR/EVH Flanger. I already have a nice Dunlop Tremolo, a Korg Tube Works gain stage, and a pedal tuner.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Nice! Vibe is one of my favorite effects: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g9Hs3rnd6s

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! I've read Trower swears by these 'vibes.

I really want to post new pics of my little rig now that the expression pedal is hooked up and (thankfully, for now) is working as intended; but there's nothing new here for you folks to see.

I'll just say this: I can't compare the MDV-3 to, say, the red Dunlop 'vibe (I've heard it, but I expect they both sound very good.)

WRT to the MDV-3 only, these are my first impressions:

1) Jimi's version may have been "Vibrato" mode instead of "Chorus." That's ok. I find vibrato to detune the pitch a little too much (although maybe I just need to play with the intensity setting) which ends up sounding like a blemish instead of a wonderful whoosh. So I have selected the Chorus mode for now. Gimme some more time with it.
2) A little bit goes a long way. In either mode I keep the intensity low (very low) because the effect is so gorgeous when it's subtle. Turn the intensity up and it starts to pulse and to me that's a distraction.
3) Sticking with Vintage mode over Modern for now. This is similar to the way I use my FlashBack X4 in Tape mode to get Eric Johnson's cool long delays, which he typically uses over song intros. I stick with Vintage because even in Chorus mode it is just so wonderful. In many cases while goofing around I've switched to the MDV-3 from the Corona Chorus because... I just like it more. I never really thought the two effects could be interchangeable. Using 'Vibe over a great chorus? Sometimes, yes.
4) I can't believe I played so many cover songs without something like this. It nails the sound, and I feel foolish for learning so late. David Gilmour, I never understood and for that, I am sorry. Deeply.

I also got the expression pedal working with the FlashBack X4 (I think). I love the different delay types in it. I use a modern digital delay for modern rock, and switch to the tube/tape delays to match the guys who use those. No problems so far. We'll find out the next time I power everything up.

This EVH/Satriani/Vai/Gilbert/etc. guy has been doing little more than learning Danny Gatton forms, and apparently that means learning Merle Travis picking. It's not as difficult as it seems at first!
Totally using FlashBack slap-back delays for this, with plate reverb and the Talman with the Gatton JBE pickups in it. My folks are going to be shocked it I can pull any of this off (while singing, if possible.)

I'm old, and my parents are way older, and my Dad is a Chet Atkins/dark-as-hell Jazz Hollow-body guy, so if I can show up for Thanksgiving playing and singing... Rockabilly? Then they'll melt. If I do it with this THR-10 rig, my Dad might die from shock.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 24, 2016

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

I just bought this off a friend, and it's already become my favourite bass. Ibanez BTB-406QM I think.

Needs one of the machineheads replaced - although I'm having trouble finding any that match the non-shiny silver hardware - and the input jack resoldering, but it feels lovely to play, nowhere near as unwieldy as I thought a 6 string bass would be.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Nice! I have a bass with concentric pots and they weird me out to be honest but I'm a very amateur bassist. I mostly just like to do whatever the bass equivalent of bluesdadding is and feel it dwooooo

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
They're probably Gotoh tuners. If you check their site you may be able to suss it out and order one from a dealer.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Shugojin posted:

Nice! I have a bass with concentric pots and they weird me out to be honest but I'm a very amateur bassist. I mostly just like to do whatever the bass equivalent of bluesdadding is and feel it dwooooo

Haha. The concentric pot needs replacing as well, actually, I think the shaft is a little bit bent so it doesn't rotate as freely as it should, feels like it's at an angle.

muike posted:

They're probably Gotoh tuners. If you check their site you may be able to suss it out and order one from a dealer.

Oh nice, I'll check them out. Thanks!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Just ordered parts for a little mod on my Talman to get some Gatton-style tricks out of it. This is what I think I have learned, feel free to correct anything I've gotten wrong (this is all from various forums):

If you've watched Danny's instructional stuff he talks about how he found the right pots to do interesting volume sweeps and especially shocking wah-pedal sounds with his tone pot.

I have two issues with the Talman: Stiff pots (hard to turn) and that odd knob placement. More on this later.

The wah trick may have originated with the first pedal-steel guitars (I think from the '30s) that came with tone knobs. If you are interested in who brought it to a wide audience on electric guitar, that's probably Roy Buchanan's studio session work. Folks who know Danny's style say there's a ton of Roy B. in there.

So, how does it work?

First, Danny found a tone pot and capacitor combo that sweeps from full-off to full-on in about the first 1/3rd of the travel of the knob. This is obviously not great if you need to dial in a particular darkness, because you have so little sweep to work with; but I just want full off/full on and this one trick "that insurance companies hate." The combo is a 1-Meg pot and a .05uf cap.
CTS brand is mentioned a lot. So I have ordered a 1-Meg CTS Audio-Taper (again, taper is barely an issue when the knob is full-on at only about 3) with a pair of orange-drop .047uf caps. The spec calls for .05 but it was either .047 or .068 so I chose the former.) It's apparently the cap that limits the sweep to such a short range of throw, and the 1-Meg pot means you get more treble through when it's wide-open. It's not as if these JBE Gatton pickups need to be brighter, though.

Then, for the hell of it, I threw in a CTS 500k pot to replace my volume. If I don't like it I'll buy a 250k.

Finally, since those regular knobs are hard to grip with just your pinky-finger, I added a pair of center-flat nickel dome knobs. I would have bought real Fender Tele knobs but they were overpriced.

The mod will be swapping out these parts, and swapping the locations of the Tone and Volume pots. The Tone will be right there by the bridge pickup, and the Volume will be a little farther away on the jack plate.

I'll report back when the mod is complete.

This isn't Danny, but it does demonstrate how the tone knob sounds like a wah in this configuration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvPVlV1JfZk

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Debating the pickguard or no pickguard

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm staunchly in the pro-pickguard camp, both in general and specifically with that Tele.

Sexy goddamn guitar either way. What is that blue? I don't know if I've seen it before.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Another vote for keeping the pickguard on that one. Looks better with it on.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So you remember this strat I bought about a month ago?

Well I built a BYOC Klon-Clone in order to make the strat a lot of fun. Here's the completed pedal:

Full album here: http://imgur.com/oDgnymJ&bjPvQzy&lNZY5I8&Ofej1mp&NeAlKfh&fhGdoW6&PHxa9X1

I changed it slightly so that the pots go: Gain -> Treble -> Level so it's got a traditional Tubescreamer layout.

First time playing with a Klon! I must say that I'm really digging it. It's a magic make-solos-awesome pedal.

Demo here: https://soundcloud.com/blackhandaus/floydd
The Klon was used on all the lead guitar parts. Pink...who? Nope. Never heard of 'em ;)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I got one of these:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

I'm staunchly in the pro-pickguard camp, both in general and specifically with that Tele.

Sexy goddamn guitar either way. What is that blue? I don't know if I've seen it before.

Daphne blue. I think I'll drill the holes for the pickguard as I was kind of leaning that way myself. It didn't have any to begin with, so just sort of wanted to bounce the idea off the wall. Made sure to install the control plate to align with the guard while I was undecided.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

I got one of these:

Neat. How does it sound?

E: also agree with putting a pickguard on

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Maw posted:

Neat. How does it sound?

E: also agree with putting a pickguard on

I dunno yet, gonna try it out tonight, my amp is at the rehearsal place :v:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Painted teles look goofy without a PG, IMO. Certain finishes that show really nice wood grain are fine without, but generally a PG completes the tele aesthetic.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Schpyder posted:

Painted teles look goofy without a PG, IMO. Certain finishes that show really nice wood grain are fine without, but generally a PG completes the tele aesthetic.

Seconded

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Schpyder posted:

I've just never had one that wasn't routed ugly under the pickguard. Totally agree about adding it though. I feel it looks too Charvel-ish without it.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I've been obsessed with the Ted Nugent "Stranglehold" bass tone lately: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzFpiW5vHrc

So, I bought a block logo Phase 90 today, and it's pretty much "Stranglehold" in a box. Great fun, especially with some overdrive!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I can play for once!

It's a 2010 Reverend Sensei 290, in red, as you can see. Played it a bit today, gonna give it the full work out tomorrow. It plays so nicely and sounds great. P90s are surprisingly bassy and it twangs up with the bass contour. Loving it so far.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Juaguocio posted:

I've been obsessed with the Ted Nugent "Stranglehold" bass tone lately: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzFpiW5vHrc

So, I bought a block logo Phase 90 today, and it's pretty much "Stranglehold" in a box. Great fun, especially with some overdrive!

Have a Nugent-less version of that bass tone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-oJt_5JvV4

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Don't have a pic yet but I got one of these from Craigslist

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

syntaxfunction posted:

I can play for once!

It's a 2010 Reverend Sensei 290, in red, as you can see. Played it a bit today, gonna give it the full work out tomorrow. It plays so nicely and sounds great. P90s are surprisingly bassy and it twangs up with the bass contour. Loving it so far.

Welcome to Team Rev, they are awesome, congrats :)

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

syntaxfunction posted:

I can play for once!

Revs own, Senseis in particular own, their P90s own, that guitar owns on quite a few levels.

I've considered getting a Sensei 290 in lieu of trying to track down the SG Special 60s Tribute I lust after, but I don't really need to be buying any more guitars right now.

What I really need to be doing is taking the PGs off my Tricky Gomez and Double Agent and sending them to pickguardian to have custom ones made (BWB to match the headstock on the TG, parchment to match the binding on the DA). They're both fantastic guitars, but the tort PGs on them look like rear end, like all tort PGs.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Grabbed this off of Reverb -

It's pretty awesome for dialing in exact fuzz tones. I just got it yesterday, sat down late last night to just test it out quickly, and ended up hooked and screwed around with it for like 45 minutes. I haven't even tried plugging in an expression pedal yet!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I gave the Sensei a good workout this weekend. Thing is awesome. The neck feels great and the pickups get thick but stay defined. So nice. The upper strap button position is more comfortable than I thought it'd be but it still makes me nervous enough that I want to get some straplocks on there. Only thing I'm not sold on is the noise when it's not in the middle position. Worth it, though.

For a 6 year old guitar it looks and feels brand new. I never thought I'd get a Reverend so soon cause they run like AU$1k here used most of the time. Now I have to promise myself not to buy another any time soon. My rig is pretty much complete amp and guitar wise. I still have my original electric (SGR woo!) that I want to fix up some time, but I think three guitars are enough, for now. Pedals, though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007

Bought it from my bassist who bought it on Craigslist and wound up not liking it.
I love it.