Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

meatcookie posted:

Bought it from my bassist who bought it on Craigslist and wound up not liking it.
I love it.

This pedal is just stupid fun and GUARANTEED bang for your buck. Enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I love my Metal Muff. Such a responsive eq on it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Well...this happened.

I got a really good deal on it. It's a nice guitar.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Oldstench posted:

Well...this happened.

This looks really nice buddy

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Oldstench posted:

Well...this happened.

That is a great looking guitar! Congrats.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Oldstench posted:

Well...this happened.

That's beautiful, congrats!

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I've bought a whole bunch of stuff in the last six months but just posting the latest because its what I'm most into right now.

Picked this up yesterday off craigslist super cheap ($200!). Its a 1983 Gibson Spirit. It was listed minus the bridge and pickguard and was said to be in terrible condition, needed a refret and who knows what else. I took a gamble and think it paid off, since the frets aren't unusable for me yet (though the lower ones have some divots under the strings and probably not enough material left to sand down), and the finish has all the checking in the world:

After I got home I got a text from the seller saying he found most of the bridge, so I picked that up this morning and got it strung up tonight, and it doesn't play too badly. I don't think the pickup is original as the bottom of it has Epiphone stamped on the plate and it looks like somebody has been in the control cavity with a soldering iron. Its a little too muddy so I'll eventually replace it with something brighter. First thing I need to do is find replacement screws to adjust the position of the bridge relative to the posts, I can't get the intonation quite right on the lower strings without them. The bridge is a Schaller 455 which from what I can tell was stock, but is no longer in production, hopefully I can find something at a hardware store. I'll also want to find a replacement pickguard, which none of the regular pickguard sites seem to have a pattern for. Worst case maybe I can trace the outline of the faded finish?

The seller also had a broken SG Special that I picked up and will be working on next. The neck cracked off at the body pretty cleanly, however all the parts were stripped from it so I won't start until I can find some replacement hardware.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

DrChu posted:

After I got home I got a text from the seller saying he found most of the bridge, so I picked that up this morning and got it strung up tonight, and it doesn't play too badly. I don't think the pickup is original as the bottom of it has Epiphone stamped on the plate and it looks like somebody has been in the control cavity with a soldering iron. Its a little too muddy so I'll eventually replace it with something brighter. First thing I need to do is find replacement screws to adjust the position of the bridge relative to the posts, I can't get the intonation quite right on the lower strings without them. The bridge is a Schaller 455 which from what I can tell was stock, but is no longer in production, hopefully I can find something at a hardware store. I'll also want to find a replacement pickguard, which none of the regular pickguard sites seem to have a pattern for. Worst case maybe I can trace the outline of the faded finish?

The seller also had a broken SG Special that I picked up and will be working on next. The neck cracked off at the body pretty cleanly, however all the parts were stripped from it so I won't start until I can find some replacement hardware.

Cool guitar! Spirits are really sweet. A buddy of mine has two and I really like playing them when I'm over his place.

It's hard to tell, but I'm pretty sure the pickguard is just a double cut junior pickguard. Might not be exact, but it's a place to start when looking for a replacement. The pickup could be original, as the spirit was originally an Epiphone model before Gibson decided to rebrand the line and stick their logo on the headstock. Apparently on some early models they just silkscreened the Gibson logo directly over the Epiphone one after just one coat of black paint. It's not uncommon for them to do things like that either, as the Les Paul Deluxe was created specifically because they had a surplus of Epiphone mini-humbuckers they needed to use.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Picked up a lovely mint Fender Cyclone from the late 90's from CL while on vacation.

Plays great, kinda like a cross between a mustang and a Les Paul. Light and resonant. 24.5" scale, narrower neck, but a flat radius.

Pickups seem ok but I can only play through GarageBand now.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Remulak posted:

Picked up a lovely mint Fender Cyclone from the late 90's from CL while on vacation.

Plays great, kinda like a cross between a mustang and a Les Paul. Light and resonant. 24.5" scale, narrower neck, but a flat radius.

Pickups seem ok but I can only play through GarageBand now.

Sweet. I always wanted one of those. Not that this really means much, but would you say it sounds more Fendery or Gibsony? I like both my Jag and Strat and kinda wanted to try a fender with a scale that is between the two.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Gripen5 posted:

Sweet. I always wanted one of those. Not that this really means much, but would you say it sounds more Fendery or Gibsony? I like both my Jag and Strat and kinda wanted to try a fender with a scale that is between the two.

Sounds like GarageBand until I get home to my VibroChamp, every guitar sounds the same through this thing. I'll bet the Tex-Mex in the neck and atomic in the bridge sound pretty much fat-stratty but with that slight reduction in mid-frequency overtones that come from the Gibson scale.

I keep trying to slip away from my family to play this thing, the scale and weight are really nice. I recently sold my Venus VI because I didn't like the wider fretboard, but then bonded with a cheap PRS SE that was quite similar. I haven't played it enough to see if my fingers get tangled up the way they do on a Mustang's tiny fretboard.

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young
Got this dual delay pedal last week. Sounds pretty gnarly!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Just sounds like GarageBand to me.

SineRider posted:

Got this dual delay pedal last week. Sounds pretty gnarly!

Nice, how are you at coordinating the loop times?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Remulak posted:

Sounds like GarageBand until I get home to my VibroChamp, every guitar sounds the same through this thing. I'll bet the Tex-Mex in the neck and atomic in the bridge sound pretty much fat-stratty but with that slight reduction in mid-frequency overtones that come from the Gibson scale.

I keep trying to slip away from my family to play this thing, the scale and weight are really nice. I recently sold my Venus VI because I didn't like the wider fretboard, but then bonded with a cheap PRS SE that was quite similar. I haven't played it enough to see if my fingers get tangled up the way they do on a Mustang's tiny fretboard.

My Mustang is a nasty bastard that sounds like a Les Paul Junior, it really is a little beast

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Side Effects posted:

Cool guitar! Spirits are really sweet. A buddy of mine has two and I really like playing them when I'm over his place.

It's hard to tell, but I'm pretty sure the pickguard is just a double cut junior pickguard. Might not be exact, but it's a place to start when looking for a replacement. The pickup could be original, as the spirit was originally an Epiphone model before Gibson decided to rebrand the line and stick their logo on the headstock. Apparently on some early models they just silkscreened the Gibson logo directly over the Epiphone one after just one coat of black paint. It's not uncommon for them to do things like that either, as the Les Paul Deluxe was created specifically because they had a surplus of Epiphone mini-humbuckers they needed to use.
I printed out a DC Junior pickguard for a test fitting and its just too big. The shape is similar, but the DC Junior neck ends were it connects to the body vs the overhang on the Spirit, so the pickguard would cover the last couple frets. I guess I'll have to post on some Gibson forums and hope someone will do a tracing for me.

From the few pictures I was able to find I don't think the pickup is not original. The wiring is nothing like the other wires between the pots and output jack, and the Epiphone stamp doesn't look like others from that era. Now I'm listening to sound clips trying to figure out what to replace it with.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

peter gabriel posted:

My Mustang is a nasty bastard that sounds like a Les Paul Junior, it really is a little beast

Is that the one with the Dirty Fingers it the bridge? I keep wanting to change the pickups and electronics (tone pot only adjusts between about 2 and 1 on the dial and the switch is noisy and cuts out sometimes) in general on my blacktop jag, but I am not sure what I want to put in it. I probably add way more than enough gain the type of stuff I play, so I doubt I would go with something quite so hot as to make it sound like I am entering metal territory. Also at what $140 per pickup, do I really need to spend so much? Was thinking of either Dimarzio (36th PAF/SD) or SD (59/Custom), but I have no clue. Might even just throw some gfs stuff in there just to try out a few things before spending more money. Like maybe their 59 or fat pat in the neck and a fat pat or crunchy pat in the bridge.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Gripen5 posted:

Is that the one with the Dirty Fingers it the bridge? I keep wanting to change the pickups and electronics (tone pot only adjusts between about 2 and 1 on the dial and the switch is noisy and cuts out sometimes) in general on my blacktop jag, but I am not sure what I want to put in it. I probably add way more than enough gain the type of stuff I play, so I doubt I would go with something quite so hot as to make it sound like I am entering metal territory. Also at what $140 per pickup, do I really need to spend so much? Was thinking of either Dimarzio (36th PAF/SD) or SD (59/Custom), but I have no clue. Might even just throw some gfs stuff in there just to try out a few things before spending more money. Like maybe their 59 or fat pat in the neck and a fat pat or crunchy pat in the bridge.

Yeah that's the one, it is a beast.
The Dirty Fingers I really like because it is high output without being a one trick pony, it's just a Gibson humbucker on steroids, dial back the guitar volume knob and it's civilised - Oddly cleans up and sounds a bit like a p90 to my ears.

I bought it because it is the highest output Gibson do, the whole guitar was a bit of an experiment. it turned out better than expected honestly and while I am going to get a new neck pickup soon, the Dirty Fingers is staying. It has a raw cutting tone that makes it ideal for certain things.

First thing I do with pretty much any guitar is get new wiring / pots because it's cheap to do and you know you've got the best stuff that way. That is something I never regret doing, it totally changed an old Epihpone I had into something really special. It's the part that manufacturers cheap out on most in my experience.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

My first not-a-combo! Spider ii HD 75 and miscellaneous Epiphone 4x12. Already had the foot controller for the amp for use with Amplitube. This thing is so loud, i love it.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

This is fun.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Oldstench posted:

Well...this happened.

Beautiful. I'm loving my recently acquired PRS SE

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

This is fun.

:eyepop:

One of the bandleaders I work with plays trumpet and keys/organ. He is still working on his basic one-man-band thing where he plays a basic bassline with his feet, comps with his left hand and solos on trumpet with his right hand. He's pretty good at playing one line simultaneously with trumpet, keys and foot pedals.

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007
Okay, so, been a pretty gear-heavy summer so far.
New Jackson JS32 lefty flying V that I posted earlier, used Metal Muff that rocks my fuckin socks, and now a guitar amp since I'm playing bass in one band and guitar in another.
My bassist found this Yamaha DG60FX-112 and I bought it from him for $100CDN.
Best deal ever. Currently line-out'ed to my Peavey Combo 300.
Love. It.
Sounds super authoritative.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So, the ESP/LTD SC-607B that the boss I had at my last gig reserved for me arrived like a week ago. This weekend, I finally had the chance to take it for a spin. I set it up to Drop F# (I'm rocking the EXL140-8 D'Addario 8 string set, excluding the .10, which I'm saving for the standard tuned Larrivée to the left) and HOLY poo poo. Rocking that tuning was just what I needed, even if it feels like my hands are gonna fall off after I'm done playing.

e: My Larrivée RS-2 is there because the guy who helped me with the setup for both guitars wanted a picture for his store's Facebook page.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 18, 2016

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
.74 low f# on a 27" scale?

That must've been like playing cooked spaghetti.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Oldstench posted:

Well...this happened.

Lol these strap buttons are like Fender P bass string trees. At least I don't need to buy straplocks - I actually had to remove them to get my strap on and then re-screw them in place. Fucker's never coming off.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

comes along bort posted:

.74 low f# on a 27" scale?

That must've been like playing cooked spaghetti.

I'm going to guess you meant "Soggy and loose", which fortunately is not the case at all. :)

It's surprising how tight and swanky it feels. I'm still getting used to the bigger neck and scale, though. I think playing 25.5 scale guitars for as long as I have has left me unprepared for this switch. Hopefully I can get the hang of it soon!

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Wark Say posted:

I'm going to guess you meant "Soggy and loose", which fortunately is not the case at all. :)

It's surprising how tight and swanky it feels. I'm still getting used to the bigger neck and scale, though. I think playing 25.5 scale guitars for as long as I have has left me unprepared for this switch. Hopefully I can get the hang of it soon!

Have fun! I love baritone scale guitars. The thing that always fucks with me when going between instrument scale lengths are false/pinch harmonics. They're just precise enough that the few millimeters of difference really makes it weird imo.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!

Oldstench posted:

Lol these strap buttons are like Fender P bass string trees. At least I don't need to buy straplocks - I actually had to remove them to get my strap on and then re-screw them in place. Fucker's never coming off.

My Vela is like that. Permastrap.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Not exactly new gear per se, but I just finished a quick addition to my studio - some shallow shelves to hold my off-board pedals. They should hopefully make it way easier to find and grab pedals while I'm recording, instead of digging through drawers and closet shelves.

(click for embiggening)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I am envious. If I had like a quarter of those, I'd think I had a lot of pedals. I have exactly four effects (wah/fuzz/flange/delay) in my chain at the moment because I had to sell poo poo last year to make rent. (six pedals total, but one's a tuner and one's just a switch that I keep around if I feel like prog-nerding and one-click swapping between my guitar and my keyboard, since I run them through the same chain and amp.)

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
^ To be fair, 1/4 of those are pedals I've built myself, and another 1/4 of them I got for super cheap (~$25 or less). Of course that still means I've probably spent way too much on the other 1/2 of the collection (though I try to recoup a little bit by building the occasional pedal for sale too)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

JohnnySmitch posted:

Not exactly new gear per se, but I just finished a quick addition to my studio - some shallow shelves to hold my off-board pedals. They should hopefully make it way easier to find and grab pedals while I'm recording, instead of digging through drawers and closet shelves.

(click for embiggening)

I like the cut of your jib

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

JohnnySmitch posted:

(click for embiggening)

Quite the sexy collection and a brilliant idea to boot. Kinda makes me wanna build shelves like that for my pedals. Maybe some day when I've accumulated more of them.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I hope you don't own cats.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Sold some guitars I don't play so I could get one I will.

Thinking about pink pickups and a palm tree vinyl sticker.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

muike posted:

Hell yes

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

muike posted:

Whoa I didn't even see the island in the ocean thing your guitar has going on until the palm tree sticker comment. Do that, that's awesome!

Maybe skip the pink pickups though. Tropical island palm tree guitar is cool in an ironic hipster kind of way, but that plus pink pickups against the ocean blue sunburst might be just a touch too hey look at me ironic hipster.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 26, 2016

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I hope you play some sweet muzak on your A E S T H E T I C ギター

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

GreatGreen posted:

Whoa I didn't even see the island in the ocean thing your guitar has going on until the palm tree sticker comment. Do that, that's awesome!

Maybe skip the pink pickups though. Tropical island palm tree guitar is cool in an ironic hipster kind of way, but that plus pink pickups against the ocean blue sunburst might be just a touch too hey look at me ironic hipster.

He needs orange pickups so they can look a bit like life rafts coming to rescue the person who is plainly the volume knob :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Aw man that finish