Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

My wife is officially the poo poo. Aww yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Spartak posted:

'sup

1982 Ibanez Musician

My guitar quest is over for now.

You lucky bastard. Enjoy her- those are pretty special.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Susano-maku da! posted:

Say, I wanted some advice that doesn't deserve its own thread... A guy is offering to trade his Maton MS500 Mastersound for my Fernandes Ravelle Elite. What do you guys know about Matons? What kind of resale value do they have?

http://www.maton.com.au/electrics/ms500.html

Maton makes some rad poo poo. They are super rare here in the states, and they have a bit of a cult following. It will definitely have a different mojo than your fernandez. Looks like a pretty fair trade to me, as long as you aren't into your Fernandez a ridiculous amount. I'd do that trade in a heartbeat if it were me.

Edit: It looks like the Maton and the Fernandez have identical street prices- right around 600-650 bucks. I'd say the Maton would hold it's value a bit better due to there being less of them out there.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Avd1Thng posted:

I just got an udu drum and a didgeridoo! I am a percussionist and I have played the udu for a while, I finally have one of my own now though! But I am new to the didge. I've got the drone down with some effects and working on screams and calls and such. My goal is to be able to play this at the same time as my drum set (like Jono Callow).

The biggest problem is mounting the didge for cheap. There are tripods for them for like 150 bucks but I am looking for something MUCH cheaper. So does anyone have any ideas on how to mount the didgeridoo to my drumset?

Tripod microphone stand (20-50 bucks)
4" Piece of PVC pipe (couple bucks at home depot) Measure your digeridoo to get the proper inside diameter.
2 Large hose clamps (a buck or 2 each)
Felt (unless you don't care about scratching up your new toy.)

Cut a slot through one wall of the PVC pipe so you end up with a C shape.
Use some epoxy to attach the pipe to a microphone clip You'll probably need to cut the lips off. All you want is the lower part that screws onto the mic stand. Once you have that, Line the inside of the pipe with a few pieces of felt. Slide your digeridoo onto the pipe. Use the hose clamps around the pipe to gently tighten down around your digeridoo. Voila!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

The mic clip screws onto the top of the mic stand. I'd also consider a quick release adapter so you're not having to spin your didgeridoo around every time you put it on the stand. I'd get your PVC all cut and take it with you to the music store and show one of the dudes there what you are trying to do. If they're worth a crap they'll get you set up with what you need.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Glad it worked! You'll have to post some clips playing it integrated with your set.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Dayum! You're selling it why exactly? Thats a beaut right there.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

You know, I thought the same thing, but I just got a new axe with the longer scale length and after a few weeks I'm pretty used to it. Shortening my strap seemed to help make a bit of a difference.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

gently caress man... that sucks. If it were me I'd keep that baby until I was healed up. Have you looked into rehab for your wrists at all?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

the wizards beard posted:

I heard that Line6 and Bogner were collaberating, but how exactly? Is this a Line6 modeller into a Bogner power amp?

Bogner is also making a less expensive line of tube amps that will distributed by line 6. I'm anxious to see how they stack up to the real Bogners (which are unfathomably good sounding.)

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Three Red Lights posted:

It turned out i was wrong about the selection switch, it just needed to be mashed a bit before it stopped being factory stiff.

I've also managed to make it sound a lot less like rear end by mastering the presence control. It seems in order to get rid of obnoxious high end, the best thing to do is not turn it down, but turn it right up and turn the treble itself down.

I'm still getting horrible, horrible feedback at loud volumes though. And I'm not sure if its the amp itself or if its simply trying to check out a loud amp in a small room is an inherently bad idea. In either case, I wont know how it really works loud until I can get it out of my house.

Sounds to me that you might have microphonic pickups in your guitar. Tap on them when you're plugged in- If it makes a really loud thunk, the pickups are the culprit. You might try backing down the gain a bit too.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Could be a microphonic tube also... The test is lightly tapping on each tube with a chopstick. If you get any noise whatsoever, the tube is microphonic. Check the preamp tubes first. Be really careful doing this though, and you might even leave this to a pro if you think there is any chance of voiding your warranty by opening up the chassis.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Susano-maku da! posted:

After regretting selling the Maton, I did a little trial and error found out that scale length DOES NOT matter for my wrist pain. Go figure. I started to regret selling some of my past purchases -- especially the Telecaster -- but I decided, gently caress it, I'm just going to start over and get what works best for me.

I went to the local Reverend dealer (not many around) and tried out some Reverends and loved them, particularly the P90 equipped bolt-ons. I was mulling over which one to get when a deal popped up on a MIA Reverend. I took it. And my god, am I glad I did... this is the best guitar I've ever played.

Say hello to my Reverend Avenger:

I was afraid of that, but congrats on the new beauty! If you get the chance, check out the Ron Asheton model... They're bonerific.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Carbohydrates posted:

Purty geetars

That there is evidence of a severe case of GAS if I have ever seen it. Not that it's a bad thing. Your new G&L makes my pants all tight. You have exquisite taste. Keep it up- just try not to get bit by the boutique amplifier bug. It gets really out of hand fast.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

DeArmond M75T

The pic is not of mine, but you get the idea. I gave mine to my brother for graduating college but he never plays it so I'm trading him for an acoustic/electric. I'm glad to have her back. These things sound phenomenal for what was a middle of the road guitar when it was new. I'm pretty pissed off that Fender saw fit to buy out Guild and then proceed to discontinue their fantastic line of electric guitars. The DeArmond stuff was amazing for under a grand, and the full fledged Guild electrics were spectacular. Curse you, Fender! :argh:

Gramps fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 22, 2008

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

poxin posted:

Marshall Vintage Modern combo. Musicians Friend took four days of "being packed" before shipping it out. I'm anxious.

Lucky mofo. I love those- they're the best sounding amp Marshall has made since the first run of JCM800s.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Very elegant. That's about as purty of a Tele as I have ever seen. Hopefully having that signature on there will allow you to steal some of his mojo...

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Concatenation posted:

Unnghh please somebody talk me out of buying this Ibanez RG2610. I've found one very cheap at a local-ish dealer and I'm going to go and play it on Monday, I hope it turns out to be no better than my RGT42DX so I don't have to buy it...

The reason it's so cheap is because it's last year's model, this year Ibanez has upgraded all of it's RG Prestige models to Edge Zero trems - does anyone have any experience with these? Would it be worth shelling out the extra cash ($300 AUD or so) to get a 2008 model?

Man, buying things with the justification "Well I'm going to own one at some point in my life so it might as well be now and not in a few years' time" has to be the least wallet-friendly spending policy ever. I can't be the only person that does it.

edit: I say 'very cheap' but I mean 'not really all that cheap but still about $700 off list price'.

If you can get that axe out the door for less that 600 bones then I would say go for it. The neck alone is worth the price of admission on the prestige guitars. As long as you won't miss the additional pickups, then that axe would be a good one. The tremolo on an older model would be fine- those had the Edge III it looks like. They're alright- I personally don't care for the way the arm feels on them, and many hardcore Ibanez guys don't like them, but that's compared to the old units which are pretty much flawless. That doesn't mean you won't like it- they work fine as long as you're not a total lunatic with the whammy bar. I just got a 2008 RG2550, and yeah- the Edge Zero is pretty neat, but it's not perfect like the original Edge/LoPro edge units were. I put up a review in the review thread if you want a little more info.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

My philosophy has always been "If it gets you to play even 5 extra minutes a day, then it's worth it." It's served me well over the years.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Congrats man! I figured you'd pull the trigger once you played it. If you don't mind me asking, what did you get it for?

Also- feel free to pm me if you need any help doing any kind of setup or tweaking- Ibanez, but especially RGs are my forte.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

If you've played through a really great pedal like a fulltone dp1, or even better a Hughes and Kettner tube factor you wouldn't be so quick to dismiss pedals for distortion. Most modern marshalls (hell most modern tube amps) get their distortion from a diode anyway. Metal zone into recto guy is still :psyduck: as hell though.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

There are other examples- I have a Hughes and Kettner tube 50- my amp guy gutted it and there's diodes in there too. "Most" was probably overstating a bit though. Easy way to tell though- if the amp has lots of preamp distortion and only a few preamp tubes? There could be diodes lurking about- not that it matters.

And Agreed makes a good point- I've always wondered why nobody ever thought to build a TS808 mod to integrate into the front end of a plexi, but I guess it's just easier to get the head and pedal and call it good.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Stux posted:

Grabbed this lovely Pod XT off of ebay for £100 shipped.

Only niggle is its on firmware 1.01 so I need to get hold of a midi interface and cables to update it.

Between this and my RG7321 purchase I've fallen in love with ebay :3:

You don't need a midi interface to update- you need a usb cable hooked up to your comp and the line6 monkey software available off of the line6 website. Once you do that you can opt to buy the model packs if you want- some of the amps contained within are super good (Bogners, Silver Jubilee etc.) but all of the model packs would cost more than you paid for the unit. I haven't tried the bass pack, but I heard it's really excellent.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Stux posted:

Unfortunatly this isnt the case with the 1.01 firmware otherwise I would've already done it. I already own the triple pack with the metal pack, classics and fx pack for my toneport and tried to move them over to the xt but no dice until its updated.

You still shouldn't need a midi interface to update your firmware though :confused:

Also-I'm pretty sure you can't "move" your updates anyhow- you may be able to re-download them to the pod if and only if you still have your confirmation code, but that's about it.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Stux posted:

Well you do: http://line6.com/club/activateLicenseKeys/index.html

And you can move model packs around from different devices as much as you want, if you go on your account and go to the license key page you can unregister them from whatever device they are registered to now, and then reactivate them on another device. You can do this as often as you want.

Wow, I did not know that. My podXT must have had newer software when I got it, which is weird because I got it right when it came out.

It looks like you can use a midi cable and another podxt though- that might save you from having to buy an interface if you can find someone with a pod locally.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

It's a handmade modded TS808 clone made by a fella who calls himself gearmanndude. (You should check out his gear review vids on youtube.) It absolutely rules. 100 bucks plus shipping, and worth it at twice the price.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

wilkenm posted:

Hamer Newport Pro in Transparent Black... my first non-solid body guitar, and it's incredible.

Holy :gizz: you have exquisite taste. What did you pay for that if I may be so bold as to ask? I've always loved those things.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

AE posted:

Except Behringer, which is all bad.

I have a set of their active monitors and their ripoff of the Tech21 trademark30. I like them both. The monitors are Ok- they actually give a decent amount of detail, and they're a perfectly acceptable placeholder until I get my studio finished and get some Genelecs. The guitar amp sounds amazing for a cheap little turd, but that's because they ripped off a great design. I no longer buy Behringer gear, as the reliability has taken a hit in the last few years, but some of it is perfectly acceptable. Actually their active PA speakers are a fantastic bargain for garage band types as well. A club I ran sound at used several for monitors and I never had a single problem with them. Come to think of it, the mixer and the GEQ were Behringer as well, and it performed flawlessly for countless shows. Not the best sounding gear granted, but in a small room with loud rear end punk rock bands you can't really tell anyhow. Just don't use the EQ and it's alright.

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER posted:

Wait what

From what I've seen first act is literally bottom of the barrel. Like, worse than Fender Starcasters.

They- like Yamaha and Fender and numerous other brands make cheap poo poo to sell at target and walmart and toyz r us, but they also make "real" guitars. The higher end First Act stuff is actually quite remarkable- especially the Lola and Delia models. Check em out.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 10, 2008

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I'm not sure what your moon money is worth, but an SM58 in decent shape will always be worth a minimum of about $75 american- I'm sure they're worth a few bucks more over thataway.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

the wizards beard posted:

Only cost me €50 in the end, and I got what looks like 15-20 ft of cable. The screen is a little dinged up, but that doesn't bother me and I can replace it if I want to sell/trade. This thing reeks of smoke though, does anyone know if I can just fill it with Febreze or some poo poo or will that damage something?

Unscrew it and hit it with febreze. Let it dry and put it back on. If that doesn't do it-replace the drat thing. It'll cost less than 8 bucks.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Leave it on- it protects the capsule. That's about the only way to gently caress up a 58- to have some jagoff mash the guts of it when it's not wearing a helmet. And even though the 57 and 58 look similar naked, they're a little different. A 58 will sound perfectly ok on a guitar cab, but not as good as a 57.

And yeah- dented 58s are the bomb. I got one for 30 bucks a few years ago.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

butros posted:

I got engaged.

Click here for the full 800x532 image.

My fiancee said it wasn't fair that the girl gets a present for being engaged and the guy doesn't. lucky me.

A family shot...

Click here for the full 800x532 image.

Is that a Larrivee Pete Anderson?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

butros posted:

yeah it is. i've had her for about two years now though, so she doesn't really count. but i love showing her off.

You lucky bastard. I've been looking for one for the last 6 years or so. Beautitful guitar.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

scuz posted:

Freakin' sweet! Danelectro needs to have an American workshop and charge people out the rear end for well-made boutique instruments.

Never heard of Jerry Jones eh? He's been around forever, and his axes play circles around anything Danelectro ever dreamed of making.

VVV you missed the "charge people out the rear end for well-made boutique instruments" part there chuck VVV

Gramps fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 2, 2008

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

butros posted:

hey gramps - you said you've been looking for a larrivee pete anderson - don't know if you are comfortable with ebayin' it but here's a link to one up there right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Larrivee-PAOM03...1QQcmdZViewItem

the buy it now is a little high but these are pretty sought after guitars.

:gizz:
Unfortunately the seller is a pawn shop- that usually puts me off right away. Thanks though- I'll keep hunting.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Raze posted:

Oh holy crap. Now I'm seriously considering getting that V33-212. I've been stuck with an Ibanez TB225 for the past ~6 years. Would it really be worth it at $250 for mainly bedroom playing? I don't care if it's too loud, honestly. I'm mainly interested in playing metal, though. Also, why does GC have the same prices now?

That is an absolute steal at 250 bones, but that amp is far from ideal for metal. It'll work if you hit it with the right pedals though.

Also, GC and MF are the same company now, so their prices are going to match pretty much across the board.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Raze posted:

I do have a Maxon OD9 I use for boosts right now. Would that work? Most of my distortion is coming from a Rocktron Pro GAP Ultra at the moment anyways. I suppose I should just wait until I move into some place where I can buy a proper head + cab. :(

When did that merger happen? I thought I remembered seeing GC stock things that MF didn't, but eh. Makes sense, I guess.

That particular OD pedal would sound awesome in front of that amp for rock stuff, but running that Rocktron into the effects loop return would give you the wicked metal tones you desire.

And the MF+GC thing happened 3 or 4 years ago.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Susano-maku da! posted:

Do you all know much about how the V5 is, particularly in terms of cleans?

It has a nice clean, but it starts to break up at a pretty low volume. The dirt ain't too bad either.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Tehdude posted:

since when did Tom Morello start posting here :confused:

Tom Morello's rig is shockingly simple, and hasn't changed for years, actually.

E: Waffleimages is being gay, but he only has 5 pedals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

wilkenm posted:

Custom built Ron Kirn 'T-Style'... completely hand built by a master craftsman. She's an incredible feeling and sounding guitar.

His site: http://www.ronkirn.com

A really great 'build' thread by Ron that convinced me to order a guitar from him: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stratocaster-discussion-forum/104487-ok-so-i-promised-here-ya.html

Holy boners! :gizz:
That is loving stunning! Mind telling us what that set you back?