Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

I opted for a used Virus instead of a new RADIAS. Might pick up a RADIAS in a year or two when prices drop a bit.

I don't have it yet, hopefully it doesn't take too long to clear customs..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
I decided to upgrade my vocal mic, although I must say my old SM57 served me well:

Blue Microphones Blueberry.

Now I just need something with phantom power so I can try it out.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Damo posted:

I know this was like 4 pages back, but how do you buy a thousand dollar condenser mic without owning a preamp with +48v first? I can also go in a different direction and ask you why you bought a thousand dollar mic before a decent preamp? Priorities, man.

Nice mic, though.
Eh, it makes sense enough to me. Can't have one without the other, right? But it wasn't quite as dumb as it sounds-- I have a Konnect48 on order with Rivens Bitch but the production was delayed (TC Electronic is supposed to be shipping them soon or may already be, I'm not sure..) I know it's no boutique preamp/channel strip like an Avalon or whatever, but I expect its preamps to be decent enough.

In the mean time it's going through this, haha:

Which for $80 isn't that bad at all actually! I've found it makes a pretty nice Bass DI box, my bass is a poo poo Jay Turser no-name piece of junk but it sounds like a sweet roaring monster through this thing. Well, kind of.

And I just had this little friend show up in my mailbox today, too:

The Emu Xtreme Lead Turbo (barf!). Awful, awful name, but pretty much the epitome of the techno-targeted ROMpler from the late-90's era. 128-voice polyphony, 16 arpeggiators, and 6 outputs. Also 3 expansion slots for additional EMU ROM sets, I plan to pick up a few on ebay if I can get them for a decent price. The Orbit v3 and Planet Phatt, probably. Maybe a 'world music' ROM too.

Gotta say for a 2-line LCD interface this unit is pretty nice. The Emu user interface just beats the hell out of any Roland gear I've ever used. I'm thinking specifically of the MC-303 (borrowed from a friend like 10 years ago) and the JP-8080 I currently own. I hate their shift-this push-that toggle-shift poo poo so much it makes me want to sell it. But I love it :(

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
Ah, after months of TC Electronics not shipping / shipping / recalling their Konnekt48 I decided to go with a competing product that offers a reputation for top-notch hardware and reliable, well-written software: the RME FireFace 800

I feel really good about the choice, the Konnekt may offer some cool features but the FF800 is a very proven platform.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Placebo Messiah posted:

loving sweet

you know what quality is

Hah, thanks. Got a great price from Rivens Bitch on this one.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
The Korg Radias has gone on sale for $599 in Canada. Not sure if the new price has hit the USA yet, but both Tom Lee and Long and Mcquade are selling it for that now.

Combined with a "we pay the GST" sale (5% discount) and took this one home for $570 yesterday. :)

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Bearsuit Spacehotel posted:

BLUE Woodpecker

The best part is I'm not even paying a single cent for it :D.

How are you getting a thousand-dollar ribbon mic for free?

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Computer Jones posted:

M-Audio Audiophile 2496

Now I can finally play my synth through effects in Ableton, route audio into it, and do MIDI without it dropping out all the time :)
It was under £60 including shipping, too. I had no idea interfaces could be had so cheaply.
I've been using this card for more than 5 years (it's my secondary interface). Definitely a decent performer especially at that price, although I get more dropouts at low-latency with it than I do over my firewire interface, which also goes lower. Strange stuff this audio business, sometimes.

to clarify: the dropouts only occur in big mixes. But IMHO they shouldn't happen at all @ 12ms if my fireface isn't dropping out @5ms. Guess RME has the better hardware and/or driver devs in the end.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Handen posted:

Can you go into detail about this? I always want to know how guitars end up stolen so that I might be ready for and avoid any opportunities somebody might have to grab my irreplaceable gear.

Mine was stolen from a guy's house, he was doing a repair on the jack which had become kind of flaky. They stole the only two guitars in cases: my cheap Ibanez and his very expensive Larivee. So I guess the lesson here is to always leave your Fender Custom Tele lying propped up on the couch and your Epiphone in an expensive-looking hardshell case.

Actually this is probably very very true given the nature of property crime.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Agreed posted:

There are dozens of awesome distortion pedals for $200 and less that will do nearly anything you could ask; if you want some suggestions, tell me what sounds you're after and I'll point you in the right direction.

1) Straight up Godflesh tone-- circa Songs of Love And Hate. Basically this sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjIXR8MshJE

I think that Rocktron pre-amp you posted recently might be good for this sound actually.

2) I also like the distorted grind-y bass sound from that album-- heard any pedals that will grind up like that for guitar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDGCV4jPzxo

3) Kyuss-- something in between Sky Valley and ...And The Circus Leaves Town tones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aAdYpv7zE4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAXGu81Rk1g

I've actually got some very usable sounds of this type out of my Pod X3 but am looking at upgrading to a real drat amp for once. Eying the Orange Thunderbverb 200-- store near me is doing 0% 6 months financing on Orange amps..

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

getfuct posted:

Kyuss i know for a fact is just a cranked Matamp. have you looked into a robert keely MT2?

I know Matamp has this sound but I doubt very much that JH was using a Matamp in 1992-1996. :)

I've considered the GT1 but in the end it's probably less versatile than the Orange, which I do like the sound of quite a bit. 2 channels, gain on each, attenuator knob I can use to crank the poweramp tubes. Only thing not to love is the price.

And the colour.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Catastrophe posted:

Don't quote me on this.. but I've been told the GT1 sells for the US equivalent of ~$1600. That is an absolute steal. Those things are works of art. I believe a lot of the high pricing with Matamps on the used market is due to their extreme rarity here in the states.

Oh jesus if I could find it at that price I'd buy it! Only place i can find in Canada wants $3100. But maybe I should keep looking or look at importing from USA / UK.

I could be wrong on the Kyuss / Matamp thing, it's just every time I've ever looked into it everyone always says that sound was achieved through a mix of gear, mismatched cabs, some Ampeg stuff, etc. I mean we're talking about guys in the California desert in 1993, who the gently caress even heard of Matamp back then? But now of course they're more known for that stoner amp tone so people say oh he used a Matamp.

But I suppose it's all still in the realm of possibility.. guitar tones sound way different between Sky Valley and ..ATCLT so that could certainly explain it.

http://www.matamp.co.uk/international.htm posted:

Please note that we do not ship to countries where we have a dealer. Please order direct from them and they will handle all the shipping and customs charges and provide excellent customer service.
gently caress that poo poo I'm not paying $3100. I still might shoot them an email to see about some custom shop stuff though, I like the sound of that. :)

mr_package fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 27, 2009

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

archie posted:

nord lead and a virus. what a waste of money.

what are you talking about

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Rkelly posted:

I would get a nord wave over the lead personally. One v.a. synth is enough. The virus crushes.

The virus does indeed crush but one VA is not necessarily enough. They all sound and play different.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Agreed posted:

I mis-read that as "the Virus crashes" and I was wondering what the hell it must sound like that so many people would put up with such a bad, potentially show-stopping problem. Then I remembered that I need glasses.
My poor Ensoniq FIZMO crashes. But I put up with it because it's the only synth around that sounds like angry insects.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

bisticles posted:

"100% Coplanar Capacitance free!" :)

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
I always thought LoneStars were really cool-- jelous.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Yoozer posted:

Awesome. Hope you didn't get ripped off.

What's your concern.. do they break easily, or just command high price on used market?

I almost bought an A6 brand new a while ago, prices were around $2k by then, pretty tempting given original list was $3k but I just couldn't justify it, especially when I have a rack full of VA synths already.

Still lust over it though. :-)

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
East West had a pretty nice sale on the Complete Composers Collection the end of December/first week of Jan.

http://www.soundsonline.com/Complete-Composers-Collection-Customized/

$799, free worldwide shipping, delivered on a 1TB hard drive. Regular price $999.

I swapped in Silk for Ra, Fab Four for Ministry of Rock, and upgraded Storm Drum 2, Pianos, and Orchestra. With an iLok it still came to just a few bucks over $1000. Pretty sweet deal. The Piano library is ridiculous-- 250GB!!

So far Storm Drum and Silk are my favourites. I'm a bit disappointed in Fab Four-- I wanted it for the drums mostly and they are all ok but a huge portion of Fab Four is the guitars and it's just so bloody hard to make use of sampled guitars without them sounding so fake. =/

I saw Blindness recently and the score was definitely using some of the gongs from Storm Drum. Or maybe the Gamelan was real and the East West samples just sound the same..

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Hammer Floyd posted:

Hey all, I'm about to order a TC Electronic Hall Of Fame reverb pedal. It's going to be permenantly on and in the effects loop of my Mesa Single Rectifier which regretfully doesn't have reverb.

Since I'm putting things into the effect loop, I've always wanted to try out a BBE Sonic Stomp. Should this sucker go BEFORE or AFTER the Reverb? I was thinking before, 'cos then it makes everything tight before it gets echoey...

Yeah you don't normally want to compress your reverb tails; you would want a normal-sounding decay. But, try it and see.. you might find for example in a live situation that putting the compressor afterwards helps the reverb stand out more without having to crank it up and drown your guitar tone in it.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
Man this is getting worse than your boutique pedal collection, and your amp collection before that.

Agreed posted:

I can record a clip of some different materials, it's really, really striking how they sound different. Anyone want that? Abandon all hope ye who start buying boutique picks.

I'd be into this for sure.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
I already have a "60's Retro Vibe" Squiar Strat-- it's pretty decent, I like the neck/feel/playability of it and certainly has that Strat single-coil sound.

Would it be worth my time and money to pick up a Malden Utopia or is it going to be about the same quality as my Strat? The Retro Vibe series is already really good quality for a budget instrument. But its pickups are fairly noisy/buzzy and if the Malden has better electronics it might be worth it for $200.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Catastrophe posted:

Mark seems to know his stuff. I knew him from years of posting on boards like Harmony Central so I ordered from his 2nd batch of Pharaohs when he announced he'd be making more since he was getting positive reviews on the 1st batch and ended up with #12. For being his first production fuzz pedal, it's really good! Scratch that... it's really good, period. I'm hearing similarly good things about the LSTR.

I love the LSTR sound clips, far more than the Pharaoh (which is more classic-fuzz-y whereas the LSTR is more stoner-metal-fuzz-y to my ears).

I'm picking one up to plug my new Ibanez RGD-320 in to. Tom Lee was blowing the white ones out for $199 last week. http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RGD320

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

ethan posted:

There's a 15% off sale there right now, and the international shipping was dirt cheap (7 bucks) so I pretty much had to.
I got the same deal-- thanks for the heads up!

I assume it's expired now though: http://www.tonefactor.com/blog/2011/06/30/tone-factors-4th-of-july-weekend-sale/

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
I bought a POD HD500 from Hello Music for $325. It`s pretty good-- I didn`t really want a modeler but they`re just so drat useful for recording. The high gain models are more useful than ever. The Engl and Bogner are especially good, although the Bogner still has some of that POD high-gain `skwonk-fizzz` that always pissed me off about the X3.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
Just bought MF's stupid deal of the day: M-Audio CX8 monitors for $149 each, which I also stacked with the Rocktober 12% off coupon. $288 after tax to WA.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid/

These things were $499 each (MSRP) when they first came out-- looks like they're being discontinued. Can't wait to mix on something better than my-- no joke-- Aiwa 3-disc CD changer which I've had since 1995.

(At least I know how stuff "should" sound on it, but still...)

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Hammer Floyd posted:

Likewise :)

Opening riff to "Seek And Destroy" is first thing I learned to play when I was 15.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

massive spider posted:

I don't have a picture as I don't actually have it yet but I'm seriously considering just ditching amps entirely and going direct forevermore. i'm looking ad a pod HD as an AxeFX or something is just out of the question.

Its an exciting and terrifying new prospect.

Kemper profiling amp is worth investigating as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
The Bazantar is amazing but you can't get them, really. Mark Deutsch patented the design and I don't think he builds/sells them for other people. 8Dio sampled him but it's not anywhere near same league as being able to play a real one (the library is mostly phrases). http://8dio.com/?btp_product=bazantar