Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
i would just get a macbook or MBP with 4gb of RAM and be done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

warwick5s posted:

Presonus uses a dongle, it will come with a plug that has MIDI in and out.

yep...its a breakout cable tho, a dongle is a thing you plug in the USB so certain software will work.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Stux posted:

Can you explain your signal chain for the midi thing? I'm kind of interested in getting a project bass or guitar and using it for midi control but I don't really know where to start.

if you have reaktor there is an ensemble called pitchreader. i have version 1.1 but i found this 1.12 http://www.patcharena.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=61&func=fileinfo&id=697

i havnt used this but vers. 1.1 works alright and it does have some pretty annoying latency but you can fiddle with it enough and get some good sounds out of it.

not quite MIDI guitar but its free and kind of fun

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

JohnnySmitch posted:

I've heard of people getting nice results with the PODs with keyboard amps as well, and there's also a brand that makes extra-clean amps specifically for modelers, but I can't remember the name of them offhand - sorry.

i used a basspodxt with the biggest roland keyboard amp(555) and it sounds great, even better than through a bass amp. and i use a keyboard amp when i use GR3 with a guitar and it sounds steller as well. just thought i would throw that in if anyone is wonderin about that sort of stuff.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

KimJongSick posted:

Or you could knock on the wall until you find a sound that sounds like you're knocking on a 2x4 instead of a carved-out pumpkin. That is just as reliable and effective.

I priced out that 24" iMac, but with all the internal hardware maxed out. It is surprisingly not painful. $3.3k or something (about $1k less than last year). This little goon knows what his next major gear purchase will be after he gets that Blues DeVille. This will probably be in 2 years though, so I'm going to have fun not having any way to record anything ever until then.

(whatever happened to the dude who bought that gorgeous Starcaster? Holy poo poo-ripping Jesus I want photos)

3.3 for an imac? that is terribly painful! do not, i repeat do not get the upgrades from the factory they cost about 4x as much as they should. whats wrong with the 24" 2.9 ghz for 1800? i just cant imagine spending 3300 on a imac.

i have a 2.0 ghz 4gb macbook and i run ableton with a bunch of plugins 15 channels deep and an external monitor and it works fine. just throwin that out there.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

APC40!

what an outrageous setup!

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
^^That guitar is awesome, the double cutaway is my dream guitar.

Sorry for the cell phone pic. Just got the Juno 60, the ensoniq EPS is for sale if anyone wants it

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
its worth about 30$ id say, maybe. i wouldnt have paid more than like 15-20 for it.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Hubis posted:

Sophomoric humor aside, any idea why the deep discount -- like is the software going to be unsupported soon? Also, would this work on a mac/inside Ableton? I might jump on that too.

applied acoustic makes analog for ableton. this synth is just the original "analog" before ableton bought it to use. i think the original has a few more features tho.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
ive gotten tons of awesome poo poo for really cheap from pawn shops.

technic 1200 with gator case-$150
roland kc-550-it had price on back from local music store 799$ paid 160$
basspotXT-60$
midi foot controller-30$
ART tubepreamp-165$

heres the secret: go at least once a week, and offer CASH CASH CASH CASH CASH!!!
most of that stuff above was listed at around double what i paid. technics, like 320 or something crazy like that, whip out a hundred and a fifty and say "here, take it" and they will. music poo poo is hard for those guys to move and they ripped off the person that sold it to them so they dont even care what they get as long as they get some profit.

hell it even works at guitar center, they had a juno 60 for like 600$+tax whipped out some cash monies and got it for 500$ out the door.

it works like that for craigslist too. tell them one price, get there, pull out a bunch of money and tell them another price take it or leave it. theyre usually very desperate to get drugs/buy something really stupid so theyll take it.

a little dirty i know, but what else can you do?

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
Im about to buy a brand new guitar amplituder!

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/msg/1947034004.html

i saw this on my local CL!

:roflolmao:

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

slapsack posted:

Well, you were right.

People are already bidding past a thousand bucks ... http://cgi.ebay.com/170590556137

I checked the official prices for new ones at http://www.stick.com/ and that model is like 3-4k :cry:

Why do people bid so early? :argh:

Its fuckin ebay man, did you really think you were gonna get it for a dollar? Do you understand how ebay works?

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Noise Machine posted:

I like that you're still using the Super Chorus. Are you still using the settings I gave you a while ago?

Here are the other gear purchases I forgot to post (:smug:)

Edit: SWEET JESUS THE TABLES

The Ultrasone were advertised as being with some sort of "surround sound" effect, but I haven't noticed anything gimmicky, they're actually pretty nice for the modest price.

The VP was something I really needed to buy. Been playing a lot of stuff that requires volume swells or some sort of slow attack. I learned on my dad's GT-6, which he bought for $200 and then decided to never touch again, so I took it up as the world's largest volume pedal. (:v:)

i had three pairs of those headphones all break after day 30 but before day 40. it was a bitch getting GC to take them back. i wouldnt recommend them.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

How sensitive are the finger pads? Fingersnapping or tapping?

Just adding a drum pad for a midi controller did a lot of good for getting drums recorded in my tiny studio, turns out I've got a great sense of rhythm and timing too. So much more fun than manual work (and I do sequencing on an MPC), and getting natural velocity and timing recorded adds a lot of feel.

they are amazingly sensitive, you can do like mutes and stuff with it with bongos.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

forever whatever posted:

You should post how this works out vs. the Akai. I assume you mean the Head Rush - I use it on my bass vi in the band i play in sometimes and the lead guitarist has one as well - aside from the fact that you can accidentally erase what you are doing very easily and that you can't save loops, I really like it for on-the-fly live looping...Akai as a company is wicked sketchy though; I tried to register the looper when I bought it with the card attached to the manual and it came back return to sender: wrong address. I emailed their support twice and never got a response. Oh well, aside from the aforementioned issues (and for taking a ridiculous amount of space up on a pedal board) I actually get quite a bit of decent use out of the thing.

But anyways, that Vox looks cool and I had never heard of it before. I'm sure it will be fun.

Headrush Akai is out of business. There is a company now called Akai Pro that is owned by numark or whatever.

But the akai that made your headrush is gone and now its only midi controller akai pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
FYI, rack screws are 10/32 and 12/24 with 10/32 being much more common. You can get them at home depot or really any hardware store with a screw section.