Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

loving hell. Best music purchase i've ever made. Now I really need to get my 8-string purchased and run it through this beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

meatcookie posted:

Does it use Pod Farm?

I don't think so.

But it can make your guitar sound like a screaming robot on :lsd:.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Blue light actually really hurts night vision which is why i've never understood it's use and popularity. Red/Green/Yellow is always going to be better. Blue looks cool though :3:

Lord Commissar posted:

I need to try one of these out and compared it to the X3. I love my X3.

It's widely considered to be a lot better than the X3, so don't try it out. For your wallet's sake.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I had a horrible experience with Rondo Music when I decided to get my first 8 string. I ended up returning the Septor and dealing with Drum City Guitar Land instead and bought the guitar I really wanted in the first place. I ordered a Schecter C-8 Blackjack in lovely aged white. Without sounding like a lovely generic review, I just want to say DCGL is an amazing place. They sent me an email asking me how I wanted my guitar set up (gave me an extra set of strings too), what picks I used (they gave me 8-9 free picks of my choice, what size shirt I wore, and so on. I ended up with a flawlessly set up guitar and tons of free swag.

:gizz:

Extended range family portrait

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 18, 2011

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Manky posted:

Very nice! I'm curious though, what happened with Rondo? I've always heard/had good experiences with them.

My guitar came with a cracked fretboard and Kurt tried to say I probably broke it myself and am trying to get another guitar off them. He then wouldnt respond to any of my emails so i sent it back for a refund (still waiting for the money to clear). They're definitely not getting business from me as long as they have him involved. I'm not really a fan of their straight from the factory approach either. Basically they rubbed me the wrong way entirely. I'm sure others have had nice experiences though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Narwhale posted:

Send it through UPS.

Or really screw up a truss rod adjustment.

The shelf area below the 24th fret looked like it was broken and glued back on at a weird angle. No idea how they managed to do that.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Squirrel Burger posted:

Bwahahaha.

DL Noble Sonic Sitka small jumbo, only one like it on earth.

It is mine.

That contour, oh man

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That guitarist is really, really beautiful. I've been really wanting a strat lately, never even played one. All I really have is metal guitars so I'm expecting it to be a very nice surprise.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

They really are the absolute best of all the technique altering "gimmicks" I've seen in the guitar industry. You can get so many complete unique sounds with them and its always something organic and fluid.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Finally got myself a Strat. I initially came home with an all white american standard. It was beautiful but I ended up taking it back and upgraded to the deluxe. Still getting used to playing a strat but man it's lovely. I really wanted the olympic pearl but I would have had to wait until May so I took home the tungsten. The N3 pickups are really nice too, even though quite a few people complain about them.

Quick phone photos and imgur rotated them but hey you get the point.

Coming in the mail is an MXR carbon copy. And then hopefully a Maxon OD808 or the TS9 30th anniversary pedal. 2013 is going good for me so far.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

And a neck made for baby hands :colbert: :cheeky:

Gordon Cole posted:

Picked up my new Chapman Stick today!

I live right next to where they're made so I went to pick it up in person. Met Emmett Chapman, which was pretty neat!

It's my first time playing one so I'm really bad with it, but it's an awesome instrument. Lots of fun to play.

Nice! I feel like my failed experiment with 8 string guitars taught me that I was looking for a chapman stick like instrument. I'm glad to hear you're liking it. They look so fun but i'm not sure I could manage myself well enough to learn one competently along with keeping up my guitar/bass skill. Maybe someday.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Fredescu posted:

This arrived yesterday:

We don't need no stinkin' tone knob!

Is that like dark olive drab with the natural wood grain? Holy hell that's awesome.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

There are forums with markets behind pay walls. I'm a member of one and have not had a problem.

Just curious, what's the forum? I've been looking for a good place to do a few sells and trades.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

js86 posted:

And I'm done with my pedalboard.

...hahahahahahaha

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is there any variance in specs when it comes to Les Pauls with nice wide big looking fretboards? I absolutely love those and I'm assuming its the binding but I can't tell. I really like the wide neck/small looking body combo.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

treat posted:

My 2012 SG Special Faded arrived today.

Used, $550 total and in excellent condition with the plastic still applied. By excellent condition, I mean loving mint. I just spent the last two hours giving it a serious thrashing and my only issue with it so far is that it makes me want to sell the rest of my guitars. It's gonna be tough locking her away so I can get some studying done.

e; And apparently it has managed to transcend our plane of reality through interdimensional travel because it just popped back up on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-SG-Special-Faded-Worn-Brown-Electric-Guitar-w-bag-/370837177799?pt=Guitar&hash=item56579e45c7

That's a rad guitar man. I've been spending a lot of time with my SG Firebrand lately and I think an SG might be the most comfortable design of any guitar I've played. They're so fun to play and they sound amazing with any amount of gain from light overdrive to walls of sludge.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The maple necks on the current American Deluxe Strats are the best I've ever played. Very hard sturdy wood with a smooth feel and the tone is clear and punchy. You get a tactile feel of how each note pops off of the neck from your pick and blooms throughout the body.

That said, I'm also fond of the mahogany + ebony top combo. You get the warm woody tone from the mahogany with a nice maple like snap bringing the sound to the forefront.

Wood :3:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Blue Scream posted:

It occurred to me about 48 hours ago that I needed to learn to play the guitar. I thought vaguely that Spanish guitar has always been one of my favorite sounds. Today I walked into a local music store totally without a plan and came back out with a Yamaha CGS104A plus a free lesson with my purchase. Tomorrow I'll go back to the store and let someone explain to me what chords and scales are. Optimistically, within 30 minutes, I will manage to memorize which strings are which. Before anyone says anything, I know this is the most rear end-backwards way possible of going about this business.

This could all go terribly wrong, but by god I am bored out of my skull these days and I will learn a totally new skill that seems like a shitload of fun, NO CATGUTS NO GLORY :black101:

You're going to loving rule at this. I want you posting in here a year from now talking about how badass you are on that guitar. Get your basics down and you'll be able to pick up the rest however you choose to find it. There's no right path when you're learning guitar, only proper techniques and methods of applying the info you have access to. GO FORTH!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

sensy v2.0 posted:

I really, really love my THR10. It's just perfect for playing in an apartment without annoying everybody in the building.

I've had my Les Paul standard with a koa top since friday now, so here's some pictures I took.

I really, really like how it looks and sounds and everything. Not 100% happy with the action, but I'm gonna fix that when I change strings next time.

Good lord this

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Are those pedals worth it as a, well, pedal? I always hear about how great they are but no one goes into detail about how it plays with amps.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thorpe posted:

Birthdays are awesome when they include geddy lee jazz basses

I'm definitely grabbing one of these some day. They're one of the few signature basses without a completely obnoxious price. Free is even better!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

polar posted:

Got my first guitar and amp.

Congratulations on avoiding the usual lovely beginner purchasing mistakes and getting an awesome setup! That looks like a super fun way to start out.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Can't wait for people to post their Christmas haul in here. Hopefully there are lots of new players with shiny new hobbies.

Yeah I'm in love with these now. They're very durable and have a good amount grip and the tone is perfect for me.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dava picks have stolen me away V-Picks at the moment, sounds weird but it's true. Also enjoying some dinosaur/mammoth bone picks since Christmas. Unique picks really bring out different ways to approach your technique and playing dynamics. There's nothing quite like fighting a guitar strung with huge strings with a massive v-pick. I just wish my hands could handle that.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I have to go in the opposite direction and say the black on black is awesome. The chrome parts balance nicely with a maple fretboard and the pickguard stands out enough to give it a body -> visual transition. Skull crushing Teles \m/

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

How much :420: did it take for cheese picks to become a thing? Come on, don't lie. I'm curious about those though. Mostly from the novelty but I love trying interesting picks.

Is anyone planning on making a picks/strings/accessories thread still? I'd love to see a shift on these forums towards really appreciating the smaller aspects of guitar that can massively alter your sound. Also in the mood to shout praises of the V-Picks Colossal and bug everyone until they buy one.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 11, 2014

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I might get a Spark soon to compare with my OD808 as a boost. TC is making incredible pedals. I want to try nearly every pedal they have in their lineup right now, can't say that about any other similar company.

Definitely grabbing one of these awesome picks as well :)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The nickel/copper pick is from 1990. If you actually knew how to shred you would realize that was one of the worst years. 1982-1985, specifically ones made in the months of january and august, are the best for having a solid vintage beef tone. Also when you want to get real you'll post a sideview to show off how many ridges there are around it. Or maybe you won't because you're not in tune enough with your gear to smell the added harmonics. TGP out.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dr. Faustus posted:

An Agreed pick is going to be a novelty because I am the kind of guy who puts plectrum tone on the same level as Eric Johnson being able to tell which brand of 9-volt is in his distortion pedal. I sincerely doubt that they stand up to the double blind study, but I am not SO certain that I am willing to rule it out.

I would bet money all day on my ability to "blindly" a/b picks like v-picks vs your average cheap ones. This is impossible to test considering I'd have to have no feeling in my hands yet also be able to play guitar, but picks makes a very obvious difference in the attack and tone. It's not some corksniffer bs, honestly. I wish I had more v-picks laying around to send some of you guys. My first experience with them was genuinely mindblowing. And then I tried an unbuffed colossal and my body melted. It's not subtle at all.

e: forgot to mention how the bigger ones force you to naturally tighten up your right hand technique while keeping you from squeezing and choking your pick in order to use hard dynamics.

~passionate about plectrums~

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 20, 2014

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Declan MacManus posted:

You, the player, will notice because it's an ergonomic thing, but the audience won't really know the difference.

Two extremes, colossal unbuffed vs thin fender, dunlop, etc on the same amp/guitar settings will sound different raw out of your speakers. I could be wrong and just crazy of course.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ammo for the firegods!

I'm due for a huge post here soon. New orange things, bunch of pedals, new pickups (fun fact: iostream.h is a wonderful dude and taught me everything I know about soldering and installing pickups in less than a week)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

poxin posted:

It finally came! :fap:

Parkers are the best at the whole completely hosed up looking design yet still somehow awesome looking thing. Nice one! I really love how the finish looks with that fretboard.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Agreed posted:

I'm going to start a pick megathread soon, and I'm talking with Vinni right now about the possibility of some pick give-aways to kick it off. My initial thoughts are an Infinity or two because that's sorta, I dunno, my signature pick, as strange as that sounds given that I am not an internationally famous rock star :shepface:, and a few starter packs. I don't think I'd have much luck trying to get anyone else who makes picks to do the same - I know Patrick is always very busy and probably doesn't have time to do all the hand-work required to get some picks together for give-aways, and Dugain is busy through April. I sincerely doubt that Dave at Red Bear Trading Company would do it, I can't remember ever hearing of a give-away; and while he's a very nice guy, I couldn't see Matthew at Bluechip putting his super duper pricey plastic up for give-away, either. And I can't even get in touch with Wegen for custom pick inquiries, let alone for the idea of getting some of his stuff in to give it away :saddowns:.

So, V-Picks may be the only thing I can get. There are definitely advantages to working with a more available material and combining industrial basic construction methods with finishing done by-hand. Even though it's not extruded acrylic that you can get at Lowes or whatever, cast acrylic is still more affordable in bulk and that means a lot when you're asking somebody to go out on a limb for ya. Still, I love them a bunch and they're the least costly of all the boutique picks in common use, I know a bunch of y'all have been able to try them over the years specifically because they don't cost an arm and a leg TO try.

I would like for people to spread the wealth; if they win something and don't like it, in whatever mod-approved method I come up with for the give-away(s), I would really want people to be willing to mail the pick or picks they don't want to others. I feel like in this way we might be able to make sure everyone who wants to try v-picks, at least, gets a chance to do so.

Anyway, basic idea sound fun to anyone? Pick talk to get it out of various threads where it doesn't really belong, giveaway(s... maybe, depending on how it goes of course), Q&A for those of us who use weird picks to respond to anyone's inquiries as to why in the gently caress we do that, in one place.

I would like to reiterate that if I'm able to get some stuff for give-aways, it would be important to me for people to do the pass-it-on thing if they get a pick they don't really like or want, but other than that it seems like discussion could be pretty straightforward and, eventually, self-sustaining. Sound good? If so, I plan to have it done this weekend, as I have some other writing duties that come first, let me know if y'all are into the idea.

I'm 110% in. I love the idea of a pay it forward system too. I'm always up for sending out some picks/etc to someone who would like to try something.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

EP Boosters are so nice. It took me a few days to understand it but now it's an always on pedal. Those things are magic. Don't forget to open it up and check out the internal switches!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

no dad im not gay! posted:

Absolutely. Feels like I've lifted a blanket off my AC30 when it's on.

I normally hate describing sound in silly terms like depth!!! and sparkle!!! but that's exactly what comes to mind. It's like there's a tiny little sound gnome in the pedal finely adjusting your tone until it sounds beautifully complex without losing any focus, actually enhancing the punchiness. I can leave it at noon and everything sounds better, clean to pure fuzz.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Green Rhino is absolutely vicious and can cover a ton of various ODs but with the GR crunch keeping it distinct as it's own sound. One of the few dirt pedals that works well with my OR15 too. It's similarly picky.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

This is pure beauty, I think I need one.

Wouldn't mind that weird funky guitar either, looks so fun!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ugggggh gently caress I want one of those so bad and I stopped playing 8 string a few years ago. I love the fact that they're designed to age noticeably. Such a sexy instrument. Sucks about the fret but I'm sure you'll get things figured out.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Agreed posted:

gently caress yeah Moog Minifooger Trem

Oh boy, I've been watching a lot of demos for these pedals are they're cool as hell. I might have to pick one up sometime. Some of the weirdness coming from them is insane, I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Agreed posted:

There isn't even a very good reason for stuff to be so expensive there, it's all distributors asking for crazy margins :( I am sorry, in the U.S. the Drive costs like $169.00 and for a pedal that doubles as the filthiest wah on the planet with an expression pedal that's really good.

I'm a big fan of the Moog pedal pricing. It's high enough for all the made in usa/durable housing/great internals checkmarks but I don't feel like they're jacking them up because they can. I'll pay those prices for a well made pedal full of crazy sounds any day. Thanks for talking about these by the way, I always wanted to try some Moog gear but never saw a good "cheap" way to do so. The trem has been an excellent venture into a company that, surprise, I like a lot. I think I'll go for the delay next. My Carbon Copy does a fine job but I've yet to fall completely in love with it like everyone else seems to.