Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I bought a new practice amp!

(Sorry for the lovely macbook picture)

It's the Vox VT30 and I'm madly in love with it! It's an amazing little (but loving heavy) 10" vacuum tube amp with a bunch of effects and amp models I can play around with that sound heavenly.

Plus it just looks badass :c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Oh god, someone talk me out of this

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Click here for the full 900x1203 image.

OK, it was a few months ago, but I purchased an Ibanez acoustic and I am just blown away by it. The neck is so smooth I feel I could butter toast with it. It's an amazing guitar for its' price and I love it to death.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Snowdog79 posted:

Here it is hanging with the rest of the current collection:

Is that an Eastwood bass I see? How does that play/sound? I've got a friend who wants a vintage sound in his bass playing but doesn't want to break the bank.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

No pictures yet, but I managed to pick up a never been used Epiphone Dot in cherry with a hard case for $150. I feel so accomplished after negotiating that deal.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Wait - what? How do I sign up for this, or what thread and on what site do I need to subscribe to. That headstock says "Gibson" correct - and the price is $250 --- shipped?

You don't need to sign up for anything, just call Musicians Friend and ask if they have any deals on Gibson/Fender/whatever products. I think the deals ended today though.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Koa Little Martin (x 2)

I had a little extra money laying around so I bought one of these for my little niece for her birthday next week. She's going to be so excited, she's wanted to play guitar ever since she was born :3:.

Of course, after playing one I decided to buy one for myself because I have a soft spot for 3/4s size guitars :buddy: .

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

So did you guys see this new Gibson? It's the "Zoot Suit SG" and it's ugly as poo poo:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Zoot-Suit.aspx

Except for the black and white finish, which I personally love:

http://www.gibson.com/Files/USA/SGs/Zoot-SG/FinishImages/SGZTBWCH1-Finish-Shot.jpg

I could see myself playing that...

:psyduck:

Does Gibson honestly think there is a demand for expensive horrendous looking guitars? Between this, the "Eye", all the tribal poo poo, and the holy Explorer, I think whoever's running Gibson has gone insane.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Thoogsby posted:

Seymour Duncan Invader for the bridge position in my Ibanez Artist Custom. I'm going to go buy a soldering iron this week and try to do it myself. Hopefully I don't gently caress it up too bad. I'll probably replace the neck pickup soon too but since it's mainly going to be a metal guitar I'm not in a rush.

Buy at least a 30 watt soldering iron. Seriously, you will regret it if you buy a lower wattage.

If you don't know what kind of solder to buy, a 60/40 (60% tin and 40% lead composition) solder works well for any application, but a 63/37 would be better if you can find it as it has a lower melting point and hardens to a more uniform surface. Rosin (flux/flox) core solder only; anything else will corrode your guitars hardware.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 3, 2009

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

kablamo posted:

I'm really leaning towards a harp guitar!

That looks more like a six string balalaika than a harp guitar. This is a harp guitar!

Edit: That actually looks really cool. I kind of want one myself now.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 7, 2009

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Is that what that's about? Man, I need to read GBS more often.

Now I feel kinda :downs:-y

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

juicy_J posted:

Gibson uses bone nuts.

Nope, they use corian.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

juicy_J posted:

When did they switch?

I wasn't aware that they even used bone on their electrics at all. They've been using corian for a looooooong time now, and I know that back in the Fifties and Sixties they used nylon for the nut.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

Just did some googlin'. The old nuts were 6/6 Nylon 101, and at some point (the early 70's?), that was switched to corian for electrics and bone for acoustics. The new 50th Anniv R9s apparently use nylon nuts, too.

They switched to corian on their acoustics as well. Gibson sure loves their cheap plastic nut, which is ridiculous for what they're charging.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

Martin uses Corian too.
Corian isn't all bad, it is super hard and dense. Bone is king, but Corian can be a good substitute.

Don't get me wrong; corian certainly is a serviceable, easy to cut, and useful nut and saddle material that sounds pretty good for what it is. But, when guitar manufacturers are charging $5,000+ for an instrument, sticking on a plastic nut just seems wrong.

Gibson's Monarch, the $20,000 guitar, uses corian for nut and saddle.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

Awhile back I posted a picture of a bunch of parts from Stew-Mac.

I finally got around to putting some of it to use, the rest will be added after the body sits for 30 days for the paint to cure.

More pictures to come after I start putting it together.
Sneak preview

:aaa:

I'm not really partial to metal flake finishes, but it just looks absolutely gorgeous on this guitar. I love the body styling too; I've always been a fan of the evenly sized double cutaway guitars like the Epiphone Wilshire. What wood is it made of, and where did you get the wood?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Handen posted:

:aaa:

What the hell did you do to that Telecaster?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

So I lost my job a couple of days ago. :smith:

I've been moping around my apartment for a couple of days so to cheer me up my girlfriend surprised me with this yesterday:

It's an Epiphone Hummingbird Artist and, even though it isn't worth much monetarily, it means the world to me. :unsmith:

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

To celebrate my new-found job, I did a bit of splurging and ordered myself these:

My second and third effect pedals, respectively.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Found this at a pawn shop. Yamaha JX30 1x12 with some scratchy pots, but I can deal with that.

Also, some floor cleaner.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

I bought the LTD a few days ago and I still haven't put it down. It's my first floyd equipped guitar and it needs to be adjusted a little bit, but I'm totally in love with this thing.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Leninboarrir posted:

Holy gently caress that's cool. How much did that set you back, if you don't mind me asking?

I bought mine new, so it ran me about $700, and I have to say that it is one amazing beast of a guitar. I easily would have dropped twice what I paid to get my hands on it.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Schlieren posted:

Those are split humbuckers though, which is a different beast, and also they are Wide Range split humbuckers, which is again a little bit different (I think they're based on P-90 architecture?)

Wide Range humbuckers are just brighter humbuckers with 6 of the pole pieces slotted to look like screws.

Original on bottom, reissue on top.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Look what just came in the mail!

Sorry for the camera phone pictures, but I'm so excited that I just had to snap some photos of it.

After growing increasingly unhappy with my MIM Fenders and my Epiphones, I decided to treat myself to one really nice professional-grade instrument that I knew I would love and be happy with. I knew I wanted a single cutaway guitar with P90s, a TOM, and a neck-profile that could fit my large hands comfortably, so when Gibson announced this line of Les Pauls I placed a pre-order for one right away.

I am so glad I did because this is basically the perfect guitar for me.

Heres something I didn't realize about this series of guitars: They've been lightly reliced. This is most evident on the back of the neck:

It's also on the cutaway and on the lower bout. It doesn't really bother me though, it's hardly noticeable.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

bisticles posted:

Nice Les Paul! I've got a goldtop on preorder from Sweetwater, but apparently it won't be in until late October :(

I've got my fingers crossed that the relicing job on mine is somewhat subtle.

The relicing on mine really isn't all that bad or noticeable. Both the relics on the cutaway and the lower bout are really hard to spot unless you get close to the guitar. The patch on the back of the neck is the only really obvious relic job but no one is going to see it while you are playing.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

It's here!

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

havelock posted:

Review?

I'm a terrible player who would most likely get more out of practicing than buying effects, but I'm kinda obsessed with Strymon. I recently bought a DD-7 and a Vox AC4TV but I keep thinking about buying a Blue Sky reverb and the El Capistan. Why do I need a digital delay, analog tape echo sim, and a reverb? Who knows.

I've been playing around with it for a while and I'm still in shock at how amazing it is. The Blue Sky Reverberator is honestly the best reverb pedal I have ever used. It is amazingly versatile and using the shimmer plate makes some of the most beautiful sounds I've ever heard coming from a guitar.

I can't really see this topped by any other pedal.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

bisticles posted:

It sounds killer. The pickups are very lively, and the lack of multiple coats of lacquer really let it vibrate in your hands. Looking forward to playing it with the band in a few days.

That said, it really lights up my amps, and I'm having fun learning new ways to play songs with these pickups. I'm keeping it, but it does look like Gibson was rushing to put these out the door.

Hey '50's tribute buddies :hfive:. The gold top and the honey burst look absolutely beautiful. I still need to get a case for mine.

Gibson wasn't necessarily rushing these out the door, though they were on a time crunch. The flood that devastated their plant happened to them right in the middle of them filling out orders for these.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

So I've been working on an SG Junior for the better part of four months and now she's ready to be shown:

Two piece mahogany body, mahogany set neck with an ebony fretboard, tung-oil finish, authentic Gibson P-90, and controls just where I wanted them. It was a bitch to construct in an apartment building but drat was it all worth it.

I'm still adjusting the intonation and the P-90 has to be wired up, but drat does she sound awesome.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

DrChu posted:

That looks quite a bit oversized, how's the balance on that thing?

It actually has the same basic dimensions as a regular SG; the body just looks larger because it's leaning back on the stand and the picture is at a low angle.

Compared to a normal SG, the balance is way better. I thinned the headstock down width-wise as well as increased the body thickness a little and that seems to have corrected the balance issue totally.

Also, thanks everyone for the kind words. It's nice to hear that my second attempt at lutherie (with lots of help) managed to create something that is pleasing to the eye!

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Deelon posted:

Well man, I've got a 50's tribute in Honeyburst. A little different, mainly the pickups being P90s, but I'll have to say it is a KICKASS guitar. Tone to the bone, and I don't know if I got lucky or what, but the sustain is better than any topnotch Les Paul I've ever played. Also loud as hell unplugged. Like he said though, it didn't stay in tune very well until it was setup properly. Then it was golden. Get one.

e: poo poo, I guess they both have p90s. Whats the difference between the 50s and the 60s tribute?

I have a 50's tribute in black and everything this man says is true. I pre-ordered it when they were first announced and I am still extremely happy with it, it has to be one of the best LP's I've ever laid my hands on. The only thing I don't like was that Gibson decided to lightly relic the line, but that's just a cosmetic issue.

The 60's Tributes have a slimmer neck and are also available in the SG body style. Gibson recently released a 50's Tribute LP with humbuckers, though i'm sure the 60's tributes will get the same.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 22, 2011

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Underflow posted:

Thanks; I'd better go see if the local shops have picked up on this yet then. My 1964 SG Special had a neck like a club, so I really hope I can find something similar among the Les Paul '50s relics. Don't like slim necks.

They don't do that stupid chipping or rubbing of the finish like Fender's 'roadworns', do they? Just a fade or even no finish is fine by me, but if it comes pre-hosed up I'll just strip off the finish and seal it with clear varnish.

If you are looking for a '50s tribute model with P90's be prepared to pay a little markup. Since they were a limited run they've already seen a 10% increase to resale value; more if you want the Goldtop.

I can't speak for the '60s tributes, but the 50's tributes have a much, much subtler relic job to them compared to Fender's Roadworns. They reliced the horn and the lower bout where your arm goes, but these are very slim lines on the edge of the body that are hardly noticeable from any distance. The only area that's really noticeably reliced is a small area on the back of the neck that just has the bare wood showing. I don't like relic jobs, but at least this one is tastefully done.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Underflow posted:

Thanks; that settles it then. I'd really like the '50s Goldtop with P-90s and minimal fake wear. Do you know if the feel of the neck is consistent across the line, or should I compare at least half a dozen like it used to be with Gibsons?

There's no mega-musicshop in my general area, so choice will be limited - if they have them at all. I usually order gear from the States; much, much better service and often 10x faster than a European mailer who's only a few hundred miles away.

Anecdotally, mine played perfectly right out of the box and only required a little bit of saddle tweaking for better intonation. However, I'd say to try and find one in a store if you can. I've read that the 50s tributes had really good quality control, but it would be best to test drive one anyway just to be sure.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Underflow posted:

I meant neck meatiness. Do you know if that's consistent across the board (for the '50s replicas)? I trust Gibson for a decent basic setup. Have to raise the bridge, lower the pick-ups, and tighten the trussrod anyway, 'cause I like heavy strings and clean output.

Necks are totally consistent from what I've read. Every 50's tribute guitar has the same profile with the same thin matte nitro finish (aside from color, obviously), and I haven't read any reports of someone with a messed up neck on arrival. The 60's tributes on the other hand are a different beast. My friend ordered a 60's tribute SG and it arrived with a fretboard that wasn't wide enough for the neck. Sucked to be him for a week.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Warcabbit posted:

Why is it that Japan loves the Mustang so much?

In Japan in the 70's there was a hugely popular musician called Char who exclusively used white and blue mustangs. Here's a video of him playing his hit "Smoky" on one of them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNnR3p14z3c&feature=related. After that, everyone in Japan had to have a Mustang. I think Char eventually switched to a strat, but the demand for Mustangs was still there.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Warcabbit posted:

This is a 25.5 scale, and I don't know any Fender offsets that match it.

Jazzmasters are 25.5" scale. Edit: Whoops, realized you were talking about the guitar as a whole, not just the scale length :downs:

The neck on the Marauder I played at my friends house seems pretty much like a standard C shape. It's not thick but it's not thin, sort of a medium profile. It felt nice in my hand.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 5, 2011

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Warcabbit posted:

You got your hands on one outside of a store, Side Effect? Do tell. I'm looking for something to replace my Partscaster in the stable. The number of different sounds it makes really intrigues me.

I'm pretty much going to just echo what C.C.C.P. said: it's a really cool guitar with an awesome vibe. It's a very versatile guitar for an awesome price, and the neck was pretty comfortable to me. The triple-bucker is a unique and interesting concept, and it took me a little getting used to the switching because I've never used a guitar with so many switch combinations before.

Personally, I prefer Gibson scale lengths and tune-o-matics to Fender bridges so I won't be buying it, but I can see why others would.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

C.C.C.P. posted:

Well, what I'm going to do is first install the neck (since the neck holes are predrilled, that will be easy). Then, install the pickguard, since it has a cutout for the heel of the neck, that will make aligning it easy: simply fit it on so that the neck is in the pickguard's neck cutout and screw it in.

You might have to fill and re-drill the holes. The neck mounting holes on aftermarket bodies aren't usually correctly spaced for official Fender necks.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

C.C.C.P. posted:

According to Guitar Fetish, Fender/All Parts/Warmoth/etc. (basically, Fender spec stuff) is a drop in.

Be wary of wording like that, it just means the neck physically fits and you wont have to alter the neck pocket itself. I've helped put together a guitar with a GFS body before and the neck mounting holes were slanted relative to the centerline of the body. You can see an example of it here, but don't let it deter you if you get one like that. It's a dead simple fix.

(Please note: I'm not trying to say that your body will have this issue, or not to use GFS for bodies, it's just something to look out for.)

Edit: Spelling

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

RetardedRobots posted:

Unfortunately, the thin nitro and poor finishing on the mahogany make the neck very slow. I couldn't get a good picture of it, but you can actually see and feel the wood grain through the finish. It's just so grainy.

I'm kind of confused here, what about the finish is it that you consider poor? Gibson's always used non-grain filled satin finishes on their cheaper guitars and that sounds like what you are describing.

I'm just asking because I was going to pick up the SG version and I was wondering if there was something else to the neck than I thought.