Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Got this today:

A Gibson SG faded. I just restringed it and tuned it to C#. Was surprised at how little adjustments I had to make. I now think I might've been playing bad guitars all this time.

Edit: Sorry about the blurry photo. At least I took it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Lovechop posted:

What are the fret edges like on it? I've heard a few people say they can be a little nasty straight from the factory, but other than that they seem really quite attractive for the price.

You can feel them when you run your hand along the neck. I haven't had a chance to try the guitar in serious action yet, but I don't suppose they'll cause any trouble.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

I found out a guy nearby is selling this:

Laboga Studio Reverb, a 50W tube head with two channels and whatnot. Does anyone have any experience of these? And is 450€ a reasonable price? TIA

Ninja edit: Already messaged him about wanting to try it out.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Bought the Laboga today. Sold the Randall to a bandmate of mine to afford the Laboga. My first tube amp, I'm so proud now. :)

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Found this at a flea market:

I'm planning to build it into a pedal board/case. We'll see how that turns out.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Ibanez RG350DX. Traded this for a low-end Tokai les paul clone + the guy will pay me 50€ on top of it. Got this so I'd have a guitar I can leave at the practice space for backup, but it seems a setup operation is in order. The bridge springs this is equipped with aren't rigid enough, so I'll have to replace them. And then the whole setting-up-a-floyd-rose-style-bridge operation.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Concatenation posted:

Nice. I just blocked the trems on my Dinky and RGT42 and I can't believe I didn't do it sooner; they have rock solid tuning stability now and I can put heavier strings on them - all I needed was a little block of wood. If you don't need the whammy I'd recommend it, especially with the low-end Ibanez trems.

Hmm, hadn't even thought of that this time. Though, now that I checked the bridge cavity, it looks to be so tricky to even measure the width of the required block of wood that I could just as well replace the springs. I've got 4 rather rigid springs in the bridge of my Jackson Kelly and it's really stable.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Concatenation posted:

Yeah annoyingly enough my RGT had a little lip near the trem, I'm guessing yours does too. What I had to do was plane one side of the wood block so it was sloping, as this precision engineering diagram shows:

Yep, the lip is there. On the other hand, it would help keep the block in place when re-stringing and all, but it just feels like it's too much of a hassle, since I don't really have tools to fashion such a block. But what kind of wood did you use? And was it just a block roughly the required shape you found lying around or did you cut it out of a larger piece?

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

I got the Gallien-Krueger head (400RB) in December, but if memory serves me correctly I didn't post it here. Earlier this week I got the Ashdown 4x10" cabinet and finally got to play around with the head. The Hughes & Kettner combo in the middle belongs to a friend.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Got me a delay.

Haven't gotten around to toying around with it too much yet, but it seems nice and usable.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

the wizards beard posted:

This more or less completes the list of older, weird BOSS pedals I've wanted to try out. I have a FZ-2, a DF-2, a HM-2 and a DM-2/DM-3 clone, I'll probably flip the DF-2 soon.

This is THE poo poo! Particularly if the sound you're trying to achieve can be described as rotten and/or gravel-y.

I love the HM-2.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Schecter Omen 6 (of the cheap series)
Got this to replace the Ibanez RG350DX I posted some pages back, since the tremolo bridge on the Ibanez was driving me crazy (I've got another, not quite so cheap guitar with a licenced floyd rose in it and it's less than half the hassle the Ibanez bridge, edge 2 or somesuch, is). I only got this yesterday, but I can confidently say it feels a lot better than the Ibanez and also sounds a lot better (both have stock pups in them).

Edit: Checked the Ibanez site, it's Edge III. I hate it with a passion.

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 20, 2010

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

So, payday came and became new pedals day.

Needed a new bass driver, and being undecisive whether to get the Muff or the Blogger, I got them both, I'm sure they'll both come in handy.

Also, I re-acquired the Boss HM-3 I'd sold off to a friend in January. He said he was selling it so I thought I might as well take it off his hands.

I've got way too many distortion pedals I don't really use at the moment, but I guess that will all change when I'll get around to writing and recording those solo albums I've been thinking about for years.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Agreed posted:

Edit: ^^^^ I just noticed the composition of that photograph is nice, too, I like how each pedal's dominant color is mirrored in the area of the sheet or whatever that is behind it :shobon:

I am jealous of your HM-3. I gave one to a friend as a gift, it had this amazingly unique sound to it, just absolutely raw in the low end but with a really focused high end. Turns out it was probably due to a capacitor that was getting ready to blow; within a week of getting it, it stopped working and opening it up revealed the damage.

Treasure it. (And any idea how much they go for used/where to find one?)

Haha, the composition was totally subconscious on my part. Funny how these things turn out.

I found the HM-3 used for 50€ at this Finnish musicians' website's buy/sell section. I posted an ad that I was looking for a HM-2 and someone messaged me that he had a HM-3 he could sell me. I thought why not and pulled the trigger on that one as well (I also got the HM-2 that way).

Edit: A quick ebay search yielded several results, most of them in the 50-60€ realm. Found one in Holland going for 1,50€, bid 7€ on that, we'll see how fast I'll be outbid.

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 1, 2010

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Placed an order for these today:

EHX MicroSynth

EHX Nano Doctor Q

Now to procure some :catdrugs: and I'll be set for days once they arrive.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Scarf posted:

Just out of curiosity, what drew you towards the Dr. Q instead of say the Q-tron, Riddle, etc.?

I needed something cheap-ish to take the total over 300€ so I'd get free shipping. It's just for laughs, really.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Scarf posted:

Ahh ok. Well if you haven't used/heard one before, it's going to be a much more subtle effect than other envelope filters.

Oh well, I don't mind. If it's not to my liking, I'll just sell it. Even so, I think I'll be able to produce something trippy with those 2 + chorus, phaser and delay. And a couple of overdrives and distortions.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

HMorg posted:

Placed an order for these today:

EHX MicroSynth

EHX Nano Doctor Q

These just arrived, except them blind fuckers at the store sent me the bass version of MicroSynth. It's not that bad, as I play bass too, just I was looking for guitar effects this time. Anyone have any experiences using Bass MicroSynth with a guitar? I'll get some first hand experiences tomorrow, as it's now almost 11 p.m. here and I can't play now, but if anyone has anything to say now, it'd be great. Would be cool if it worked fine. Then I wouldn't have to make the effort to return the drat thing.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Oldstench posted:

Dug this up on the EHX.com forums:
http://www.ehx.com/forums/viewthread/243/

The overall impression is, yes it will work, but it is expecting a lower pitched note coming in for the triggers. As your avatar looks like an Exhumed member, I can only assume that you are OK with drop tunings :)

Yeah, I guess I'll just have to give it a spin. And yeah, we tune down to C#, but I was looking forward to using it with higher notes. Annoying, because if I have to return it, it'll be 2-3 weeks before I'll get the guitar version. I should've realized something was not right when they sent it so fast. I only waited a couple of days despite the store website stating they'd take a few weeks. The bass version they had in stock.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Chalupa Joe posted:

No it isn't, the trigger works on the level of the input signal, not the frequency.

The difference between the guitar and bass micro-synth is the filter sweep range is lower on the BMS. There are 3 capacitors, and one resistor which can be changed (or put on a switch) to convert one version to the other.
Schematic for both is here: http://www.freeinfosociety.com/media.php?id=2090

Either way, I just played with it a bit and while it performed just fine when playing a bit at the 7th and 9th frets on my E and G# strings (I tune down to C#F#BEG#c#), if I tried to play some notes on the high c#, they just wouldn't come out.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Agreed posted:

Legend of Fuzz

You made me want one too. drat me for needing to use the money I have budgeted for gear purchases on more pressing articles such as a new PA amplifier.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Finally got my EHX MicroSynth yesterday. I posted in the beginning of November (I think) that the store I ordered it from had sent me the bass version. Well, I returned it and they promised I'd have the guitar version in 4-6 weeks. It ended up taking 8, but now I have my new toy.

Also, it'll be new guitar time soon.

Edit: Now with a picture.

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 9, 2011

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Oldstench posted:

Audio or it didn't happen.

I've got no means to record it properly just now. :(

Edit: Here's a recording I made earlier, though (no MicroSynth).

There's feedback, a chorus, a phaser and a delay.

Edit2: Oh yeah, recorded that with my mobile phone, so excuse the quality.

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 9, 2011

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Oldstench posted:

Nice. You ever do any collaboration or are you in a band. I'm on a heavy drone/noise/etc. kick right now as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrXPztcq5fs

I'm in a band. That bit of recording was actually the end of one of our songs. It's been recorded differently, but I finally stumbled upon something I can make happen again.

Our music isn't very drone-y otherwise. In case you're interested: http://www.myspace.com/evercirclingwolves

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

New guitar day!

Baby's gonna see some live action tomorrow night.

Edit: Bonus pic of guitar in hand.

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 12, 2011

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Hammer Floyd posted:

Hey all, I'm about to order a TC Electronic Hall Of Fame reverb pedal. It's going to be permenantly on and in the effects loop of my Mesa Single Rectifier which regretfully doesn't have reverb.

Since I'm putting things into the effect loop, I've always wanted to try out a BBE Sonic Stomp. Should this sucker go BEFORE or AFTER the Reverb? I was thinking before, 'cos then it makes everything tight before it gets echoey...

I'd put it before as well. But there's no reason why you couldn't try it out both ways and stick to the one you like better.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

ethan posted:

I am interested to see how it will stack with my various other fuzz/dirt boxes and trying it with effects for shoegaze-y stuff.

Post clips of this.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Concatenation posted:

Since I'm unoriginal and have a poor memory, the guy who bought one of these a couple of pages back reminded me how much I love old school swedish death metal tone (especially Dismember's Like An Everflowing Stream and the demo from Cult of Endtime, which you should all check out if you don't read the NMD metal thread). Can't wait to crank this up at rehearsal tonight.

You seem to have found the perfect settings already.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

fappenmeister posted:

One of these.

I watched the video you posted and decided I need one as well. Placed the order mere moments ago and now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it would make it here in time for the beginning of our studio stint.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Frank Caskelot posted:

fappenmeister posted:

One of these.

I watched the video you posted and decided I need one as well. Placed the order mere moments ago and now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it would make it here in time for the beginning of our studio stint.

This arrived today. Too bad I've just come down with a cold and don't feel like taking the trip to our rehearsal space to properly try it out.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

That's so metal.

I know, catching a cold when it finally stops being all grim and frostbitten outside.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Inspired by your posts about large picks, I ordered one of these last week. It arrived today and while I haven't had time to try it out yet, holy poo poo is it small compared to the tortex triangles I use (but thicker, of course).

And now, the test drive...

I'm curious, though, do you find yourself breaking more strings with thicker picks? I used to play with a 1.5mm pick and break roughly 1 string/month, but after I switched to 1mm picks in 2007 or so, I've broken like 2 strings altogether.

Edit: After a brief test, it certainly feels different than the 1mm tortex. The edge is a bit rough and it sort of sticks to the strings. Even without amplification it's clear the sound is different.

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 24, 2012

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

My second shipment of Hufschmid picks arrived today.

Clockwise from bottom left: Acrylic Pointer (fluorescent), PHD Pointer, Acrylic Attack Drop, Acrylic Standard (fluorescent; Mr. Hufschmid threw this on top when I ordered the other 3).

Holy poo poo I didn't realize the attack drop was so huge! Especially considering the pointers are smaller than the similarly shaped dunlops I've been using.

Ninja edit: drat you, Agreed!

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Kerpal posted:

Today I decided to buy a pedal board since I'm getting sick of hitting pedals on the carpet. Went over to Guitar Center and picked up the PS8. Planning on adding a volume and noise gate pedal in the future. If anyone has suggestions or recommendations I'm all ears (or eyes I guess). The board feels a little cheap but seems to do the job fine. You could probably save a lot of money and just get plywood + velcro carpet but meh, laziness.

Don't try to carry this thing around using the shoulder strap included in the package. I broke the flimsy pieces of plastic in mine in the first 3 or so seconds I tried to haul it on my shoulder.

Also, I really should try to build a case for it. The bag isn't really ideal for transport (someone who isn't me always gets the thing upside down and all my settings get hosed up).

Here's the board and my most recent acquisitions: Black Forest Overdrive, Boss Super Overdrive and EHX Clone Theory. The rest are older.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

I bought this one from my bass player, who didn't need it anymore since he'd bought a Ric for himself.

And this came home from a closing sale of a local shop at a little more than half price. It's a Tribute series G&L and had a list price of 550€; I got it for 285. Haven't had a chance to take it out to the rehearsal space to run through my amp and pedals yet, but it seems alright otherwise. The ends of the frets would need a little work, though, but I'll deal with that later.

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 10, 2013

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Babby's first stratocaster. Or, well, I had a Squier Hello Kitty strat for a while 6 years ago, but I don't think it counts. Bought this from a buddy of mine and the exact model eludes me at the moment. It's awesome, though.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Ooh, what's in the box?

Oh, hello there, p-bass!

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

One of these bad boys:

(not my picture)

Edit: It's a Black Arts Toneworks LSTR, if anyone was wondering.

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 26, 2015

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Built this thing meself and it fits my pedalboard quite nicely alongside Black Forest and LSTR from Black Arts Toneworks and a Fuzz Factory clone.

Here's a demo video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aetN4xDl-wA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

Missed opportunity there to have both a 'meat' and a 'balls' knob. :cmon:

Nah, I'm planning a buddy pedal for this one that will be called Meatballs.