Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Warwick Dolphin 5 Pro.

Just got this a few months ago, I call it flipper :coolfish:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

warwick5s posted:

Really nice bass. Did you get it new or did you get a wenge-necked one?

I got it used. The guy only played it for a few hours all together. Its a 98 version before they changed a lot of the specs, it has the wenge neck, brass nut and 26 frets. Strap locks are different than the pic too but for the life of me I cant remember what you call them.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

BluJay posted:

daaaaaamn. I've been playing a corvette for nearly eight years now, always wanted a dolphin.

If you could find one made before 2001, get it. This is the best bass I've ever played, and the tone is extremely versatile. It looks huge and odd shaped, but it balances perfectly.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Thoogsby posted:

This thing is so much fun. I haven't got a ton of time to play with it but I'm really loving it so far. I really like playing weird spacey post rock stuff with it. This is a rough rough draft of some of the stuff I've been playing with it.

Still trying to figure out all the features which I think is gonna take some time.

Sounds pretty cool :). Can you play a bass through it?

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

FBz posted:

This is my new shiney-shiney! An ESP EC-1000. She's really nice and I've been wanting one for a very-very long time.

Clicky for big.

How does this compare to a les paul? None of the music stores around here carry any ESP gear. Anyone know if they make good basses?

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Just Chompin' posted:

Just bought this:

I got that too, I love how it makes my Marcus Miller Jazz sound :gizz:

My latest buy...

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

7seven7 posted:

Oh God, it's placing in a chain makes a difference to the sound?! Christ. I've always just been a plug in and play guy. I don't have any other pedals yet, but this scares the poo poo out of me.

I've always been told the pedal with the highest gain should be the first, and the last pedal in your chain should have the least. Do that and don't have long cables connecting your pedals, and your sound should be fine.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

betterinsodapop posted:

Nothing too fancy. But, it was pretty cheap ($400) and plenty loud for small shows.
Ampeg B2-RE head.

The plan is: J-bass->SansAmp bass driver->B2RE head->SVT-410HLF cab
I have all of it save for the cab, which I'm going to try to find used and locally. Lots of used gear options in NYC, luckily!
I have that exact set up. The Sansamp is the poo poo

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Demon Seed posted:

Warwick Dolphin 5 Pro.

Just got this a few months ago, I call it flipper :coolfish:

Remember this? Well I'm trying to sell it, should I put it in SA mart?

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

BluJay posted:

Oh gosh, how much/ where are you/ what condition is it in?

3000, Ohio, in great condition, like 3 small barely noticeable scratches and a tiny nick/dent on the very end. I circled it in red, and mine has the snap on strap locks. So this is a more accurate pic now :)

I only have a crappy cell to take pics with, if your still interested I could take a few for ya.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

This should be arriving tomorrow, gonna get funkay :dance:

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Juaguocio posted:

Ooh, squelchy! Are you using that for bass? I've been looking into envelope filters and that one seems to offer a good balance between tweakability and ease of use.

Yes I am, and this thing is the poo poo. If you have the 200$ definitely go with this, but you can also get MXR's M82 for 50$ cheaper.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Would the G-string work well with a bass, and bass type effects??

My jazz bass has a constant hum when my hands not on the strings or bridge, which is just a grounding issue I suppose. Also two of my pedals add annoying buzz thats just there. I'd love to have a quieter rig without killing my tone.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Warcabbit posted:

Okay, I guess this is the best place to post this. I found a guy on ebay who's closing out a music store. He doesn't know the value of stuff, so he tends to price Squiers like Fenders and Epis like Gibsons, but he corrects it when you point it out politely.

I'm not sure what store he's closing out, but it seems to be full of factory refurbs and b-stock. And he's basically selling them for half what anyone else is.

The point is, there's a Wiltshire there for $165, Yamahas, Epis, Ibanez... even a Fender Banjo if someone wants it. Everything appears to be at least three years old, up to five or so.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/jjjeweler/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

I suggest firmly that if you see something you want you post dibs to avoid a bidding war, but that's just me.

Calling dibs on the black semi hollow Yamaha.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Its been way too long since I've been able to post in this thread.

Got a Ibanez artcore AM73 today for 200$. Really wanted a semi hollow, so when I saw it on craigslist at that price I jumped on it. Hardly any wear on it, sounds and plays like a much more expensive guitar. I am happy :)

I play bass, not my first electric but I think I'll definitely keep this one and learn to play. Its a dark reddish/brown finish, lovely camera phone makes it look black in that pic. The wood grain looks really nice too.

Constipated fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 3, 2012

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

I've always wanted an Artcore. I think they're pretty fantastic, but I'd be afraid of feedback at volume. I don't have any experience playing hollow/semi-hollowbodies loud. They are beautiful though, and even with the stock electronics they sound great.

Yep, not sure what type of overdrive I should go with. Right now I play it out of my ampeg bass amp, and use my Sansamp bass driver and Carl Martin chorus. Such a lush clean sound man.. Definitely happy about this purchase.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, I kinda want to get a Big Muff. Seems like something every guitar player gets, for good reason. Definitely a harsh distortion, but I've wanted to get it just for my bass for some time now. Whats a nice, mild overdrive pedal??

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

My friend just bought a SX jazz clone for 70$. I have to say, it looks and sounds better than I imagined it would. Still not as good as a Squier though.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

FancyMike posted:

Needs a neck pickup.

Definitely. Do the bridge saddles have foam on them? Kinda looks like it, would be cool if it didn't cause intonation problems.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

I don't know why anyone would want to buy a Gibson these days considering how good some Epiphones are. That name at the top isn't worth as much as it used be, thats for sure. ~status symbol~

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

I have the Sansamp and love it. My favorite advice for finding good tones? Turn them knobs, on the pedal, your bass and amp. Find what you like and remember it. Write it down, tape a little mark on the pedal or whatever. I love how it makes my Pbass sound, great full sounding motowny tones. I roll off the bass on my J (my rock/metal bass) and it makes it sound pretty gnarly. I don't even really have to turn any knobs on the pedal when I switch bass's either.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Thorpe posted:

Birthdays are awesome when they include geddy lee jazz basses

Thats not a Geddy is it? Loving the tele too :) great choices goon friend.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Ernies are cheap, thats about the only reason why anyone should buy them.

I've always paid a few more bucks for a set of D'Adarrio or Fender strings. I can't say that I've ever had a low E string break on me before.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Handen posted:

The middle one. Found it on Grande Prairie's Kijiji in May or something, knew exactly one person in GP, send him some money and on a mission, finally got it yesterday. 1970ish Gibson SG-100, modified with an SG-200 control plate and additional humbucker. The neck pup is a bit weak, and I'll probably switch the bridge pickup with something that doesn't stand out as much, but it plays like a dream. :unsmigghh:

Edit: And it was only $300cdn. :iceburn:

What is the story on that tele? That thing looks sweet as hell.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

JohnnySmitch posted:

Just finished building 2 more pedals:

The Bolt:

This one I started with a Supro amp-in-a-box circuit (very similar to the JHS Superbolt), tweaked a few components, then added basically a full Super Hard On circuit that can be inserted into the signal path (before the overdrive) via the mini toggle. I LOVE what this thing can do in front of a tube amp.

Brute Fuzz:

This one started out as a Colorsound 1-knob fuzz clone. First I reconfigured the level control, moving it to the input section instead of the output (the fuzz sounded like poo poo on anything less that full initially, but rolling back the volume on the guitar sounded great, so I revised the circuit to emulate that.) Then I added a Big Muff style tone stack to give me some shape/body control. This one ended up a lot more versatile than I had originally hoped.

I'll try to upload some demo clips soon

Please do!

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

It's some sort of Ibanez ATK. I've always wanted to mess around on one of those but haven't found any shops that had Ibanez basses that weren't soundgears.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Everything about that bass looks fantastic, except for the upper horn. Sorry Caseface, I don't understand the appeal of having the horn flush with the neck, and I've never seen a bass that did that that I liked the look of, but to each their own.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

I like the design you are going with way more than the singlecut, the ramp is sweet too.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

God dammit guys. So much good stuff on this page. GASing so hard right now.

SO HARD.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Love the blue, nice grab man.

So I'm seriously thinking about trying to really learn how to play guitar, again. I really love the sound/look of strats, jazzmasters, teles, but haven't narrowed it down to a single model. Would also like to get a nice amp that is gig worthy, not some small practice amp with meh sound quality. I don't know jack about guitar amps, any recommendations? I would mostly be wanting to play some dirty funk nasty tasty riffs. Definitely going to be playing a ton of Ween stuff. Any recommendations?

Also, anyone have any experience with the Jay Mascis Squier jazzmaster?

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Got a polytune the other month, If I do end up getting a guitar rig going I'll probably move it over there, and chose better wires and probably make a board from scratch myself.

Really need to clean my pedals, but they haven't been getting all that much use lately. :shobon:

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

I hope you don't own cats.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

So about a month and a half ago these came in the mail.

Did I do good goons?

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

I want to thank you Faustus and all the other goons who discussed those 2 pieces of gear because the opinions in this thread pretty much completely influenced that purchase. So far it's been a blast messing around with them, even though I'm a newcomer to guitar. It's motivated me to pick up my bass guitars more too, ironically.

Anyone have any recommendations for guitar books and stuff like that?

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

So I came to the realization lately that I would prefer to have a strat over the Jay Mascis jazzmaster I currently have. What would be a fair selling price for it, or trade value?

its a sweet guitar, I just prefer the tone and shape of a strat I guess.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

I mean I really really like it, the bass toggle switch thing is sweet and is almost a kill switch if you move it quick enough. Neck feels great, body and paint are pretty, love the white on gold. Strats are just.. THE guitar, for me I guess, okay!? I like how they play all around in general, I don't really like the feel of this bridge and bigass pickups, its never felt right picking around there if that makes sense. Took me awhile to realize I just didn't like how this thing felt as a whole. Sounds pretty loving sweet through my lil yamaha modeling amp, that is for certain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

gregday posted:

Just bought a bomb rear end case for my PRS:

How does it smell. Bet it smells nice